A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen MQ! - vikefantam

Posted: Mar 15, 2010

Well, I knew it was coming.  I had been having terrible insomnia.  The first bout was 85 hours.  The second was 60 hours.  The third was 72.  This all happened over about 3-4 weeks or so.  By the third bout, I was severely hallucinating.  I wish you guys could have seen the snow animal parade go up my street.  I thought people were here who weren't. I thought things happened that didn't.  I was in bad shape from lack of sleep.  It wasn't hallucinating like you see on TV.  I was going about my daily dazed routine and just saw this stuff.  I wasn't freaking out or anything.  My mind truly didn't know the difference. I'm as sane as the next person.  Well, almost.  Wink  

Anyway, by the third bout, I went to my PCP.  The PA, who knows me, took one look at me and told me how worried he was about me.  I still had the same clothes on as the day before.  I had holes in the knees of my jeans and my long underwear was showing thru.  I hadn't brushed my hair.  I didn't care anymore.  He gave me some Ambien CR and insisted on seeing me in a week.  I got that filled and went home.  I sat on the couch and stared into space for awhile.  It was too early to take the Ambien.  I was going to get up and walk the dogs and brush my teeth.  Bumper was passed out in my lap, dream-twitching, and Maggie was snoring like a mack truck beside me.  I asked them if they wanted to go out.  Snoring.  Twitching.  I asked again.  Same thing.  I got up to pee and get them moving and I hit a wall.  I couldn't move.  I hadn't even taken the Ambien.  I knew I had about 10 seconds before I was asleep.  I put my cigarette out and put my head back and I was gone.  My husband woke me later to tell me to go to bed and we argued.  He couldn't understand that my body would not move.  He got me to take the Ambien just in case I woke up again and couldn't sleep, and he begged me to at least lay down on the couch instead of sitting up.  I couldn't get him to understand that my body would not move.  I finally woke up a few hours after that and was able to get up.  I slept for about 14 hours.  I took the Ambien for 2 more nights and am back to normal as far as sleeping.  

Now, during all of this, MQ calls me to tell me I'm making too many mistakes.  Duh.  I'd been up for 3.5 days, 2.5 days and 3 days.  Tell me something I don't know.  I already hated them anyway so it didn't matter much.  I just didn't have the incentive to quit yet. I knew they were letting me go.  I found a better job within 9 days.  It pays better and they're a lot nicer.  I'm not going to mention their name, as I don't want them to get bombarded with resumes but they do advertise. 

This is what surprised me - they *encourage* their employees to talk amongst each other so we're all on the same page.  MQ forbade that.  I get to pick the accounts I want and the hours.  I don't have a minimum requirement for lines.  I start out at 1 cent less per line but after 2 weeks, I go up to more than I was making at the Q, at least 1 CPL more but depending on my accuracy and the account, I could make up to 3-4 more CPL than MQ. They are very nice and I am really looking forward to working with them.

I loved MQ for awhile and loved working for them.  Until they started ripping me off. What was the point of busting my butt and putting out 1400 lines a shift when I wasn't even sure they were going to pay me for the entire amount?  I dropped down to an average employee as I noticed that reports here and there were missing (one day, I had a whole day of work deleted) and they could never find them.  I tried going back to busting my butt to tried to bring my counts back up but by that point, something must have changed because no matter how many reports I typed or no matter how hard I typed, I couldn't even seem to make 800 lines.  So I'm working as hard as I did when I'm making 1400 lines and I can't even make 700?  Something was rotten in Denmark.  At that point, I had given up but was just too lazy and too disillusioned to look for something else. Them letting me go was the best thing that has ever happened to me.  

If you're happy with them, great!  Stay with them.  If you're not happy, maybe it's time to light a fire under you and look for something else.  It's scary going into something unfamiliar but in the long run, I think it will be worth it.  I'll let you know.

I'll check in now and again to say hi.  I wish you all the best no matter what decisions you make.

Take care!

TD 

Blessings to you - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like you've been through and back. Your pups need a healthy mom, and your husband s healthy wife, although I'm not sure I understand why he didn't step in a long time ago.

I hope the new job is a dream, but I know at first it will seem strange until you get oriented.

Best of luck to you.

Adios - Adios

[ In Reply To ..]
I am happy that you found something else so quickly and are happier. I am close behind. Just haven't found the something else yet.

I actually had an appointment tomorrow with my doctor but cancelled it because I can't afford the copay and after the weekend felt some better.

I can feel my health is suffering from all this. When I made the appointment I was crying through a report that was so bad it took me forever and I felt helpless. It was messing up my production and I knew it had to go through QA, which last week was okay but this week was around the corner.

My self esteem is shot and I feel like the walking dead. No hallucinations though. I would not hesitate to go see my doc if that started. I already have Xanax so when I feel the adrenaline racing and can't turn it off I can take that. This is just too much for all of us good people to go through this stress.

Hasn't affected my work that I know of yet but it is affecting me, and I don't want to actually develop any health problems.

Again, glad you got out and glad it's going well. You give us all a lot to think about.

Me too! It is affecting my work. I DO NOT WANT TO WORK. - Do not care about the bills either.

[ In Reply To ..]
This is so not me. I now have a low self-esteem. My blood pressure has skyrockted, 170/112. I eat right, exercise, but now I all I want to do is sleep. Just do not care. Feel so blue. Never, ever been this way before. I know the BP pills make you tired though.

I have no motivation. My job could careless about me and frankly, it sucks big time. So I know I need to move on, but this company has really got me pinned right now.

Similar Messages:

Farewell, My Friends
Jul 23, 2012

After 17 years, I resigned this morning. I will not be working anymore, and am very nervous at the prospect of living on my pension (from my former long-term employment) and social security, but after the MM support took remote control of my computer on Friday, could not fix the problem with DQS7, and totally messed up all the settings my new personal computer to the point I had to take it to my private IT support, for which I had to pay, I'd Almost had Enough. The icing on the cake was g ...

Farewell To The Proficiency Stats Email
Mar 14, 2013

the latest proficiency stats email says it will be the last - which is good because I don't think anyone likes them. ...

Farewell MT - Starting My New Career Tomorrow
May 03, 2015

Tomorrow I am starting a new job, not just a job, but a career. When I first started doing VR 5 years ago (I had done straight typing for 10 years), I figured out pretty quickly that I was going to hate it and more than likely not have a job within the next 10 years or so or be completely broke. So, I went back to school, worked full-time and raised my small child all by myself. It was hard work and there were days I wanted to pull my hair out and quit. It is now five years later and I have my b ...

Involves A "5-week-long" Or "5-week Long" Treatment.
Jul 12, 2012

This would involve a "5-week long" treatment to the breast.  ...

How Long Does It Take.....sm
Mar 26, 2010

Geez!  I was hired by a national last Friday.  It is a full week later, and they haven't even gotten all the paperwork done.  I thought I had completed it all and then they said human resources forgot a few papers.  Well, they have yet to email them to me today.  I thought I would be at least training by now.  It has been a full week.  I mean they still have to install software on my computer, and I still have to train on ES and the account specs.  Ge ...

NJA- How Long Do We Have To Sit Here?
May 31, 2010

My shift was supposed to start at 8, it is now 8:15 and only 1 job has come through.   Can I send my email and be done with it or once a job comes through do I wait another 15 minutes?   ...

How Long Would It Take?
Oct 18, 2010

Can anyone tell me how long it might take, on average, to type 60 minutes' worth of dictation?  Thank you! ...

Sorry, Rather Long
Nov 21, 2010

This is in the PE section of a consult and the patient is alert but sedated.   ...The neurologic is ( s/l tense) and is intact.  Pulses in the periphery are good.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Sally ...

Why Does It Take So Long?
Mar 08, 2011

Anyone out there notice this?  That it takes twice as long to do an op note anymore in ASR what with all the cutting, pasting, standards, going back to check whether or not to delete headings, blah, blah.  It used to be a cinch to simply bring in one of my standards and make the appropriate changes according to the audio, but now with ASR, it takes twice as long.  I feel like I'm running in place and going nowhere just to make ASR learn something.  It's such a waste ...

How Long
Apr 01, 2011

How long does it take to find a new job with so many people looking for work.  ...

It Has Been A Long Day...
Apr 14, 2011

The patient did some googling and recognized the tightness he was having may have been from a heart attack... Should I capitalize googling?    ...

Need A Job? (long)
Mar 01, 2012

Started working for my current office 7 years ago.  Worked 1 year in the office then needed to work from home so went on contract.  Things were great, plenty of overtime, work as much or as little as I want and still have plenty of time to spend with my family.  After 4 years they could no longer offer me a contract per se, but still had plenty of work so I stayed with them.  Things changed, started having trouble getting my checks on time, sometimes would be becaus ...

How Long Were We Down?
Jun 11, 2012

I can't remember how long we have to be down to get downtime.  Seems like it has to be at least half an hour. ...

How Long Does It Take To Not Be Known As An MT
Jan 24, 2013

I have known where this 'profession' was headed for years; even in the late 1990s I knew. I earned the education that I need with both an associate degree and bachelor's degree (bachelor's degree from Big 10 university) and, still, many people view me as an MT, which we can all agree is not good. I have experience in my new line of work, and I have worked in that field in the past. How long is it really going to take before people do not view me with all the negative stereoty ...

You Know You Have Been Doing MT Too Long When
Apr 07, 2013

you are cleaning out your desk and find a magnetic tape eraser :)   Probably belongs in a museum :) ...

Wow--long Job
May 01, 2013

Edited a job that was 4689 long.  YIKES!  That is the biggest one I have done in a very long, long time.   ...

So Long MM
Mar 15, 2014

I've done my time! On to something else! I can't say my experience here has been terrible, certainly not as bad as some others I have seen, but I just feel it's time to go. Something else presented itself and I took it.  I'll still be checking in on you all once in awhile.  Would like to especially like to wish the potential coders well; I think that's a great opportunity! Wish me luck! ...

How Long Did It Take You To Get Off Of QA?
Dec 01, 2014

I have only been working a couple of months at Nuance and I am just wondering how long it takes to get off of QA and become DSP status.  It feels like QA is nitpicking me to death.  This is the longest I have ever been on QA before.  How long does it generally take to get off of QA.  My last audit was 99.85%.   I cannot seem to get a straight answer from my TSM either... ...

How Long On Non-DSP?
Jan 14, 2015

How long do newbies typically spend on non-DSP status, and besides not having to pend every report, what does it mean to be granted DSP status? ...

That Took Me Long Enough!
Mar 23, 2015

I quit today. No 2 weeks notice. No anything. "You won't ever be able to work for Nuance again if you do this." That's like saying, "You won't ever be able to hit yourself in the face with a hammer again if you throw it away."  There is NO WAY an MT can survive not knowing what they will make week to week. Who can budget like that? They can stick their "compensation plan" up their yin yang.  I am free!  :)  ...

How Long Does It Normally Take
May 27, 2015

Anybody know? ...

Sometimes A Little Consideration Goes A Long Way
Nov 21, 2009

As I'm typing along for a radiologist that very clearly has a bad cold I hear the begining of a sneeze and then he cuts out. A second later he cuts back in and continues dictating. I was so happy that he actually cut out his sneeze that I left him a digital "sticky note" saying Bless you! I hope that made him smile ...

How Long Does It Take A Seasoned MT To Do 400-500 LPH
Dec 19, 2009

nm ...

If You're Out Of Work, How Long Have You Been Looking?
Jan 06, 2010

I've been looking since October. ...

After Long Deliberation
Feb 16, 2010

After over a year without an MT job I have decided to turn my degree into a Nursing assistant degree. Not to say the MT jobs aren't out there it is just tough for newer MT's to land them with all of the competition. Employers have the right and the demand to be very picky with everyone vying for the position. Good luck to everyone who stays and does well in the MT business but it is time for me to turn my dreams into reality and start making a little green. ...

How Long Does It Take To Reach 300 To 400 Lph On ASR? Sm
Mar 11, 2010

I have been doing this for a month and I still cannot get past about 225 an hour.  I am either doing things wrong in my opinion or this is for the birds and I should just go back to straight typing!  Any help?  Thanks ...

How Long Does It Take You??....600 Lines...sm
Apr 12, 2010

How long does it take you to type 600 lines?  I am considering taking an at-home position in addition to my in-house transcription position.  The minimum line count for this company is 1800 lines a week and I'd like to not have to work more than three days a week for them, which would be 600 lines per day.  I believe I'd be typing straight into Word, so the only quick-text I'd be using is the Microscoft AutoCorrect.  I would be transcribing clinic notes wi ...

Can I Get Some Opinions, Please? Sm This Might Be Long
May 27, 2010

I'm currently working for a small company as an IC.  There are too many typists on this account, so we run out quite a bit.  I'm looking for supplemental work.  I got a position at the local hospital, still waiting on what they are going to offer me (hourly pay).  It's only PRN, so I was planning on doing that - get out of the house some, get back with having some patient contact, and still work at home too.  I have gone back to college to pursue a nu ...

Has Anyone Had A Company To Sue Them? (Sorry This Is A Little Long)
Jun 01, 2010

This is what happened.  I have done transcription for a local doctor for two years, no problems.  Well, apparently the office starting having money problems and the doctor called me in to ask me how I count the lines.  I told him that I have counting software based on 65 characters with spaces.  I have to keep a log that has patient name, how many lines and how much the report costs, and I turn in an invoice with that. So, anyway, when I told him about the software and the 6 ...

How Long Does It Take To Get An Answer Sm
Nov 03, 2010

from Qcare.  I haven't been able to log into MQ central or get my e-mail for over 2 days already.  I thought they were supposed to answer in 24 hours?! ...