A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone had a company to sue them? (Sorry this is a little long) - Laney

Posted: Jun 01, 2010

This is what happened.  I have done transcription for a local doctor for two years, no problems.  Well, apparently the office starting having money problems and the doctor called me in to ask me how I count the lines.  I told him that I have counting software based on 65 characters with spaces.  I have to keep a log that has patient name, how many lines and how much the report costs, and I turn in an invoice with that.

So, anyway, when I told him about the software and the 65 character lines, he said okay.  He is an ESL doctor, so I am not clear that he 100% knew what I was talking about, but he said he did.

So, a week or so goes by and he asks me to change my margins, make them wider.  Fine....that was done.  Another couple of days, he asks me to make my margins even wider.  I took a piece of paper to him and asked him to specify on the paper exactly where he wanted these margins and he basically wanted me to start on the very edge of one side of the page and go to the very edge of the other.  Looked really tacky, but hey, they are his documents, so I complied.

A day or two later, he called me AGAIN and showed me a report and it had like a couple of paragraphs that ended with three or four words on the line and he asked me if he was charged a full line for that partial line.  I told him AGAIN that it didn't matter how many words were physically on that line, that I had software that just counted 65 characters, incuding spaces, as his lines.  He said okay.

So, maybe a week or two goes by and he calls me in and says they are having money issues and he found and MTSO online that would only charge him 6 cpl and asked me if I could go from making 10 cpl to 6 cpl.  I told him no, that my job includes picking up, dropping off tapes, loading dictation cd into their computer to print out at the office, all of which I was't getting any extra for that time.  I find it hard to believe that a MTSO could charge only 6 cpl, I mean what are they paying their MTs, but anyway, I told him that MIGHT be his best bet to just go with them.  He got mad at me and we decided to part ways.

So, a couple of weeks later, doctor's wife calls me and tells me that I owe them money and she has not calcuated this out as of yet.  I asked her what she meant and she said they are counting my lines and I had lied on my invoices about the amount of lines that I had typed.  Sooooo, another trip down to the doctor's office to find out what she meant and they were again PHYSICALLY counting these lines and the partial lines, they would just take every partial line and call that one line and that is how they were counting.  I told her, just like I told him many times, that they were charged based on 65 characters including spaces.  She said they didn't agree to that, even though I had been doing this for two years and the previous transcriptionist before me did the same thing, she gave me the counting software that was provided to her by the doctor!!

So, I told them I wasn't paying them back, I didn't feel I was wrong and wifey said they will sue me.  I had a look at my contract and it just says 10 cpl.  It doesn't say how big or small that line is, whether it is counted by the characters or physical.  So, I realize I don't have my butt covered, but they don't have theirs covered either, right?  I mean it doesn't specify, so wouldn't that imply that since we had no agreement on HOW the lines were counted that they can't accuse me of wrongdoing?

TIA, sorry it's so long, I'm nervous though.

if they DO sue you, you can prove the industry - norm is 65 character lines

[ In Reply To ..]
and you will be covered. Sorry to hear this is happening to you, but you should come out okay. Good luck!!!

not to mention they did not have any problem with - it for all that time

[ In Reply To ..]
you should be fine

and he was bluffing about hte MTSO at 6cpl--- - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
he is probably bluffing now - does he REALLY have the money to sue anyone?

what kind of doctor is it that hurts for money? Dr. Pis*-poor-for-sure.

get legal advice - can get free advice anywhere. He doesn't get it and that will lose him the case.

I don't think you have anything to worry about - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
A couple of things work in your favor. The doctor has been paying your invoices all this time without complaint, his office provided the initial software, and if they are counting line by line, instead of 65 characters per line wouldn't that effectively be a gross line and come out in your favor?

The biggest thing, though, is if they are that cheap, unless they just want to prove a point and it gets down to the principle of the thing for them, no way are they actually going to shell out money to hire a lawyer.

sounds to me like he is getting sued himself. - and prob not the first time.

[ In Reply To ..]

lines - and more lines

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, you can easily prove what industry standard is. The problem is that your contract does not clearly state how a line is counted. So this could go either way, IMO.

Hopefully, you'll go armed with the ADHI info and that'll be it.

In your next contract, spell out what a line is, how it's counted and be very clear.

The irony that the time and funds these idiots are wasting on this stuff is much more than an MT would "owe" them.

Sue for lines - amazed

[ In Reply To ..]
Every day I hear something new that amazes me in regards to how weird people are these days. I guess it is the bad economy talking.

If the office is having money problems, where are they going to get the money for a lawyer. I think they are just trying to bully you into paying. Good luck and stay strong!

unbelievable - me

[ In Reply To ..]
What a bunch of crap from an ESL doctor who was probably trained here in the US on a visa by taxpayers! If he has money problems, that is his issue, not yours. Welcome to America, join the rest of us. These ESL people make me sick - they come over and get free business $$$ to get set up etc (I don't mean docs, I mean in general) and all they want is more, more, more and when they finally bleed us dry, it's our fault and not theirs. Then, they go back to their country never to be heard from again because they have made their monies. Sorry, but this type of thing aggravates the hell out of me.

I'd tell her to bring it on. First of all ask for - an exact accounting of

[ In Reply To ..]
her line figures by date, report, patient, etc. If they found someone online for 0.06 cpl I'd wish them luck and suggest maybe they make sure their malpractice insurance is up to date and in order so when a patient care error occurs based on crappy 0.06 cpl transcription they'll have coverage. I'd tell her to bring it on and then when you win ask for atty fees and frivolous suit damages.

PS - If she's figuring gross lines I'd be willing to - bet they actually owe you money.

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't back down whatever you do.

The plot ALWAYS thickens once the wife sticks her nose into things - I agree with other posts

[ In Reply To ..]
Tell her to bring it on, have all your documentation, proof of the industry standard of 65 cpl, etc.

I also agree with another poster in that, when this is all said and done, you may very well find they owe YOU money.

Don't back done. And, quick question, how in the WORLD did you keep a straight face and not giggle when they were sitting there manually counting characters and lines??? In spite of the stressful circumstances, I'm afraid I might have tinkled myself laughing at them and their extreme measures (and how ridiculous they looked!).

Agree - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I also agree with what's been written above.
1. The doc's wife getting involved always seems to equal trouble.
2. Your method of counting lines is standard and brought no complaints for two years for you and previously for the MT who had the account before you.
3. A jury likely would be so confused that they wouldn't be able to reach a reasonable conclusion, though I believe that the tide would be in your favor due to the industry standard thus far and the fact that you received no complaints prior to now.
4. Next time, do include specifics in the contract and ask that confirmation and agreement of the method of counting and its accuracy be made by the client in writing within the first 30 days.
5. Do not let them intimidate you. Do not pay them.
6. If they defame or slander you, you will have grounds for a lawsuit against them.
7. Sometimes a strong offense is the best defense.
8. Consider putting your decisions and demands in writing and send by certified mail, including mention of the line counting methods used, industry standard, previous MTs method, two years without a complaint, etc., etc.

I think, it is not CLEAR to the dr and wife exactly - .

[ In Reply To ..]
what a 65 line with spaces means, they don't understand. They need a visual.

I think this is why he was changing the line length. He did not understand, that the software does not count a LINE until it reaching 65 characters/spaces.

For the sake of understanding, I would send an email(keep it too) and say I would like to come to the office and show you and your wife and possibly include an office manager to sit in and present (a visual display) of what the software counts, what an entire page counts out to and also change the margins to his later requests and show what THAT counts out to moneywise.

Leave the pages with him with the invoice to mull over.

I think he is having money problems and wants to pay less and was thinking if he changed the line length and it went across the entire page, he would pay less. It is lack of understanding the concept.

Maybe you can think of an example in terms of his own practice, ie. your picking up and delivery time (away from desk, not getting paid, COULD be working for other client time.

If he had patients who had an office visit, left only to return a few hours later with a questions, some patients would assume they should not pay again. BUT office time is being taken, chart searched for, exam room has to be re-set, time taken from other patients. I think if you could some how explain, make it clear, he would understand. I would not be concerned about being sued. Just keep your paper work, emails. Put things in writing from now on any kind of interaction. I don't believe you tried to cheat, nope I don't, it is a lack of concept understanding. Get an appt sset up with wife, dr and office manager, if they don't get IT, maybe the office manager WILL.

Similar Messages:

How Long Have You Worked For Your Company?
Nov 30, 2009

It seems there is so much "job jumping" with MTs and of course not all by the fault of the MT, but companies changing, problems arising, etc.  I was just wondering how long was your longest AT HOME MT position and do you think it is possible for long-term retirement-type work, while working at home as an MT. ...

How Long Do You Give A New Company To Actually Put You To Work?
Oct 20, 2010

Hired by new co. only to discover they have no work!!!!!!!  It's been 2 weeks now.  They advertised about needing a lot of new MTs within the past couple months, but I rarely hear from them.  I was put on one account since that has had no work.  Now what?  Why did they bother to hire me?  I wonder if anyone else is in the same boat? ...

To Seasoned MTs: How Long Does It Take Before You Realize That A Company Is Not A Good Fit? Sm
Nov 12, 2009

Basically meaning that the platform is not going to MT friendly or you're going to spend too much time filling in patient demo, or a myriad of any other reasons.  And once you found out that it wasn't going to work out, how long did you stick it out? ...

Opti-Script - How Long It Takes To Hear From This Company?
Jan 06, 2014

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to hear from this company?  I took the test, now waiting. I know they said they do background check but was not sure if they did this before they hired or after. Had communication prior to the test almost immediately with recruiter, then after being sent the test link have heard nothing.  Any information would be appreciated. ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

Can Someone Suggest A Company That Hires IC? I Can't Work For A Company That Offers Insurance.
Feb 17, 2014

Xx ...

I Want To Find A Different Company, But My Fear Is That MQ Will Only Swallow That Company
Jul 15, 2011

up and I'd be back at square one, making no more than their "maximums."  I wonder, are this new maximum pay going to stay the same (or lower)?  I mean, in 5 or 10 years (if we are still here) will it be the same?  Or less?  I think so. ...

On Company Board, Under Post You Quit A Company
Sep 11, 2011

what's going on? ...

What Would Be An Ideal Company? I Would Like To Build That Company.
Mar 31, 2010

We are a pretty big company, and we think we know what transcriptionists want, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  There are a lot of top people in our industry that are finding themselves without jobs, often without notice, both managers and transcriptionists.  I think that the tide is turning, and that we need to make sure that we treat our people right, so if you could take a few minutes and answer this, maybe we can make a difference.  I am asking for real answers, ones that ar ...

I Wanted To Add A Company To The Bad Company List And
Apr 21, 2012

one to stay away from.  Integrity.  They test you, claim they are checking your references and then when you email asking if they got hold of the references, crickets.  Not a word from them.  This has been a few weeks, too.  If they are this rude just during the recruiting process, I hate to think what working for them would be like. ...

MDOfficeManager (company) - Anyone Have Information On This Company?
Aug 31, 2014

Has anyone heard of a company called MDOfficeManager?  I was interested but I do not like the way they require SSN and other personal information up front before allowing the applicant to proceed with other parts of the application, including online tests.  I have heard there are fake websites for job applications.  Thanks. ...

Nuance... Bad Company Or Worst Company Ever.
May 15, 2015

Some days are more aggravating than others with this company.   ...

Involves A "5-week-long" Or "5-week Long" Treatment.
Jul 12, 2012

This would involve a "5-week long" treatment to the breast.  ...

How Long Does It Take.....sm
Mar 26, 2010

Geez!  I was hired by a national last Friday.  It is a full week later, and they haven't even gotten all the paperwork done.  I thought I had completed it all and then they said human resources forgot a few papers.  Well, they have yet to email them to me today.  I thought I would be at least training by now.  It has been a full week.  I mean they still have to install software on my computer, and I still have to train on ES and the account specs.  Ge ...

NJA- How Long Do We Have To Sit Here?
May 31, 2010

My shift was supposed to start at 8, it is now 8:15 and only 1 job has come through.   Can I send my email and be done with it or once a job comes through do I wait another 15 minutes?   ...

How Long Would It Take?
Oct 18, 2010

Can anyone tell me how long it might take, on average, to type 60 minutes' worth of dictation?  Thank you! ...

Sorry, Rather Long
Nov 21, 2010

This is in the PE section of a consult and the patient is alert but sedated.   ...The neurologic is ( s/l tense) and is intact.  Pulses in the periphery are good.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Sally ...

Why Does It Take So Long?
Mar 08, 2011

Anyone out there notice this?  That it takes twice as long to do an op note anymore in ASR what with all the cutting, pasting, standards, going back to check whether or not to delete headings, blah, blah.  It used to be a cinch to simply bring in one of my standards and make the appropriate changes according to the audio, but now with ASR, it takes twice as long.  I feel like I'm running in place and going nowhere just to make ASR learn something.  It's such a waste ...

How Long
Apr 01, 2011

How long does it take to find a new job with so many people looking for work.  ...

It Has Been A Long Day...
Apr 14, 2011

The patient did some googling and recognized the tightness he was having may have been from a heart attack... Should I capitalize googling?    ...

Need A Job? (long)
Mar 01, 2012

Started working for my current office 7 years ago.  Worked 1 year in the office then needed to work from home so went on contract.  Things were great, plenty of overtime, work as much or as little as I want and still have plenty of time to spend with my family.  After 4 years they could no longer offer me a contract per se, but still had plenty of work so I stayed with them.  Things changed, started having trouble getting my checks on time, sometimes would be becaus ...

How Long Were We Down?
Jun 11, 2012

I can't remember how long we have to be down to get downtime.  Seems like it has to be at least half an hour. ...

How Long Does It Take To Not Be Known As An MT
Jan 24, 2013

I have known where this 'profession' was headed for years; even in the late 1990s I knew. I earned the education that I need with both an associate degree and bachelor's degree (bachelor's degree from Big 10 university) and, still, many people view me as an MT, which we can all agree is not good. I have experience in my new line of work, and I have worked in that field in the past. How long is it really going to take before people do not view me with all the negative stereoty ...

You Know You Have Been Doing MT Too Long When
Apr 07, 2013

you are cleaning out your desk and find a magnetic tape eraser :)   Probably belongs in a museum :) ...

Wow--long Job
May 01, 2013

Edited a job that was 4689 long.  YIKES!  That is the biggest one I have done in a very long, long time.   ...

So Long MM
Mar 15, 2014

I've done my time! On to something else! I can't say my experience here has been terrible, certainly not as bad as some others I have seen, but I just feel it's time to go. Something else presented itself and I took it.  I'll still be checking in on you all once in awhile.  Would like to especially like to wish the potential coders well; I think that's a great opportunity! Wish me luck! ...

How Long Did It Take You To Get Off Of QA?
Dec 01, 2014

I have only been working a couple of months at Nuance and I am just wondering how long it takes to get off of QA and become DSP status.  It feels like QA is nitpicking me to death.  This is the longest I have ever been on QA before.  How long does it generally take to get off of QA.  My last audit was 99.85%.   I cannot seem to get a straight answer from my TSM either... ...

How Long On Non-DSP?
Jan 14, 2015

How long do newbies typically spend on non-DSP status, and besides not having to pend every report, what does it mean to be granted DSP status? ...

That Took Me Long Enough!
Mar 23, 2015

I quit today. No 2 weeks notice. No anything. "You won't ever be able to work for Nuance again if you do this." That's like saying, "You won't ever be able to hit yourself in the face with a hammer again if you throw it away."  There is NO WAY an MT can survive not knowing what they will make week to week. Who can budget like that? They can stick their "compensation plan" up their yin yang.  I am free!  :)  ...

How Long Does It Normally Take
May 27, 2015

Anybody know? ...