A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Old reports in database make me embarrassed to be an MT - Errors

Posted: Sep 27, 2010

in the report I looked up:  He also had a temperature of 102.  He was given half of a beer, which improved it.

The audio was still there, so I listened to it, just being curious.  I heard Bayer pretty clearly. 

One of the reasons ASR is dangerous, especially for those trying to go fast to make up for lost lines. 

I wish they'd give me a half a beer for an elevated temperature - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
But if they'd pay the MTs a halfway decent wage to do ASR, then the MTs would be able to slow down a bit. Right now, it's impossible to do ASR and make anything close to what we made with transcribing, thus the need to try to go faster and faster all the time to try to make up for what we've lost.

I agree - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Both with the beer and not being paid decent for ASR.

I admit, I try to zip through ASR as fast as I can. I'm careful to avoid mistakes, but I would be naive to think one doesn't make it past me once in a great awhile.

The scary thing is, I am only assuming this was an ASR report...what if it wasn't?!

addendum - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
And by a mistake making it past me, I mean an A or AN or THE, something inconsequential. Like the poster below said, I do notice if the sentence doesn't make sense.

I still give 100% on my straight typing -- I figure - if they pay 60% for my

[ In Reply To ..]
expertise for an ASR, they will get what they pay for?
Im torn on this - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I feel that the patients safety should come first and that I should be proud of my work and it should show...

HOWEVER, when the big wigs decided that money was more important than quality, and after years of declining paycheck, work being taken away, 5 of my previous accounts given to the Indians, the ASR that is absolutely horrible, and the instantaneous TAT, I honestly believe that they do not care about quality anymore.

If the cared about quality, we would not be doing ASR, we would have our amazing QA staff back, we would not be penalized for sending reports to QA, we would certainly not have the dumb FTR garbage, and we would have CCMs who have worked their way up from MT so they know what they are talking about.

I don't put stupid stuff, but I don't check everything - as closely as I do
[ In Reply To ..]
for 100% pay. Like if ASR puts "Dr. McDougall from Farnham Hospital" I don't go to Google and check to see if that is absolute correct spelling like I used to -- if it "sounds" right, lots of times I just let it go and keep "editing."

It does not make sense - cll

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not agree with going so fast that you make such stupid mistakes like that. The sentence does not make any sense, so you listen to it a second time. I type directly for an office and there is another girl who types that makes dumb mistakes like that and it really makes me mad. If you are typing something, at least make sure it makes sense! There are those of us that are devoted and take pride in our work. I have been typing for the past 27 hours. I slept for about an hour and a half and have taken several breaks, but it is not fair that I turn out quality work when someone else making the same amount just does crappy work!

But, this sentence does make sense - beer or Bayer

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that it's a stupid mistake, and if it's an ASR report, I agree that the MT was either just going too fast or just not paying close enough attention.

And sentences that don't make sense sort of catch your attention no matter what (too fast or inattentive).

But this sentence DOES make sense. What doesn't make sense about:

"He was given half of a beer, which improved it."

The OP already said that it should have been Bayer and not beer. So how would you have edited that sentence?

"He was given half of a Bayer, which improved it."

A stupid mistake yes, but either way, beer or Bayer, the sentence makes sense.

Now, if they start paying us more so we can slow down a little bit, then maybe MTs won't be making stupid mistakes like this.
half a beer would work better than half a Bayer anyway - makes a lot of sense
[ In Reply To ..]
after doing ASR for 8 hours straight, I need 6 ibuprofen and a couple beers.
mother is a tool - nightowl
[ In Reply To ..]
I ended up putting a blank on that one. It sounded like "Mother is a dual." But it made me laugh. LOL I still have no clue what that would be.

embarrassed - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
What's also embarassing is that apparently the doctor signed off on the report!

I worked typing procedures and documents for a city at one time. I would get a draft, I would type it out. It would go to management to be approved. If I made an error or missed something, they would send it back and I would fix it, or if I had a question regarding something in the draft, I would ask them to clarify it. We worked together to get these reports done correctly, and by the way, I did not get pay taken away for trying to get something clarified or having somebody take a look at something. It's called teamwork!!

at least yours had a temp of 102, - the one I saw had temp of 5.4

[ In Reply To ..]
that is pretty darned cool in my book.

temp - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
LOL. I have seen people 994 years old. Good ole ASR!

ASR is not dangerous - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I am note sure how some people came into this field, but I was taught many years ago that your ability to transcribe is only as good as your ability to proofread. ASR is proofreading, just not your own work. And I am also horrified by what I see in old reports. I don't really care whether the report was ASR or not, shoddy work hurts us all.

ASR is only as dangerous as the MT who is - proofing it. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Ever Get One Of Those Reports That Make You Cry?
Jun 05, 2011

This week I have been getting some of the reports from the patients that were injured in Joplin. I have been doing transcription for over 25 years and this week has been really tough. Please pray for the people that have been affected by this. I know it is not much but I plan to send a little to the Red Cross to help. What I find upsetting is knowing there has not been even a single e-mail from our company stating that Medquist will help the victims. What about the MTs that have been affected? A ...

OK, Who Should Be More Embarrassed By This
Jul 18, 2012

Mmodal or me?  I just checked my personal emails.  Now, mind you, I currently work for Mmodal as a radiology MT North region.  I just got an email offering me an MT job at Mmodal!  The title of the email was "employment update - Mmodal".  I thought I was getting fired!  Looked up the company name on the email address "rightthinginc.com" and googled it....found out Mmodal apparently does their initial testing for hiring through an outside company.  I have been a ...

Database
Mar 09, 2010

In database section doctor states "protime 34%"  , is this correct? I can't find anything on protime, it's not prothrombin time.  Please help!! ...

Database/Lab Findings
Sep 08, 2010

ALt 47, AST 122, _____ 34% (sounds like he's saying "chrotom").   He follows with hemoglobin 13.6, hematocrit 39.9, white blood cell 4,300 with 26% ___ (sounds like "paulies") 56% bans, 14% lymphocytes...  Any help you can offer with my two blanks would be greatly apprecaited. Cheers ...

Cannot Connect To Database
Jun 11, 2012

is anyone else having a problem connecting to patient database? ...

ADT Unable To Contact Database
Dec 20, 2010

Anybody else having this problem today on ADT search?  "Unable to contact database."  I never had this problem before, so do you know if we are supposed to complete reports like this? Thanks. ...

What Now? Unable To Contact Database?
Feb 15, 2012

Can't do an ADT search. Great way to improve productivity... ...

Bet We're Going Down Again,..cant Contact Database For Physician Searches
Feb 15, 2012

x ...

Anybody Ever Had Any Issues With The Physician Database Being Really Slow
May 09, 2013

I've got a new account that's really laggy typing any names into the database, but even worse, up to a 4- to 5-second delay deleting names via backspace.  I've tried troubleshooting the issue with Tech Support, but no luck there.  Just upgraded my ISP to see if that might be a contributing factor, but no change with that, so the next thing is to upgrade my RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB, I guess.  It's happening during both a regular Alt + I search and also Alt + C ...

Question About Pulling Physician's Name From The Database Into The Body Of The Report.
Dec 19, 2012

When in EditScript and using the Contacts list to copy a physician name into the body of the report, does anyone else find that sometimes (not always) the cursor locks up for a few seconds and you have to wait before you can move on?  If so, has anyone found a remedy other than just waiting, maybe some key to hit other than the spacebar? ...

Prefer Short Reports Or Long Reports? Sm
Jun 13, 2012

Hi all. I was just wondering what other MTs prefer...little short reports or very long reports? Do too many of either affect your line count (and therefore your pay)?   I definitely prefer very long reports!  ...

Long Reports Or Short Reports?
Jul 15, 2013

Am i the only one that just hates the long ones? And by long I mean anything over like 4 minutes.  I love progress and ER notes!  ...

Anyone Inquired About This One: "Data Entry Database Compiler - Karen"?
Apr 20, 2010

I saw this one on the Job Seeker board (http://forum.mtstars.com/223201.html) and was wondering if anyone responded to it yet. On some levels, it seems legit...but then on other hand it seems like a scam because it keeps talking about their "database compiler software," and I keep thinking about those companies that'll hire you to work for them but in order for you to make "real money" you'd have to buy their software. I know there's plenty of free compiler software on the net, ...

"Unable To Contact Database" Message, Anybody Else?
Jan 27, 2011

Am getting this message when I search for patient in ADT.  Anybody else getting this message?  Is the system down?  Not connecting?  Everything else is okay. ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

ER Reports
Nov 21, 2009

Should ER reports be a priority? I work in-house and this week our transcription department was ordered to type all ER reports as priority, before any inpatient or radiology work. The order came from the ER committee to our department head and down to the transcriptionists. Any thoughts on this? ...

Looking Up Old Reports
Mar 07, 2010

does anyone know if this dqm lookup reports is working adequately.  It seems like a whole lot of trouble to find any. I know this was discussed down below about where the heck is dq main menu and search.  I tried looking up by dictator and its a waste of time as there are not any old reports there.  Thank you to any help out there.  ...

Anyone Know If You Can Look Thru The Old Reports When
Mar 09, 2010

you are not clocked in and working in Docuscribe?  ...

QA On Reports
May 11, 2010

Can anyone tell me since MQ has gone with the Swap Board and First Time Right, and we are sending reports, etc.  Have you had more frequency of being followed by QA?  I was just wondering how that works?  ...

Re: OB Reports
May 17, 2010

I know I will be asking many questions in the coming weeks since I am going to be taking a more active approach to studying for the second part of my final. Can anybody please tell me where I can go to get more info on OB reports online? Some of the stuff that the doctor dictates is so hard to figure out since I am not familiar with the OB terminology at all. For example..here is the physical exam section of the report (keep in mind I have flagged certain sections). Here it is:   ...

Can You Look Up Old Reports At Your Job?
Jul 28, 2010

I used to be able to at my old job last year. Now I can't do it at my new job. I asked and was told it is because of HIPAA. Can you look up old reports at your job? It sucks that I can't do it. It would help a lot. ...

Oh, No. My Op Reports Went ASR.
Aug 11, 2010

I love doing op reports even with the mandatory standards as I can insert my expansions and am very familiar with them (when I get my primary).  Now it's all ASR and I have to use those standards.  I have to cut and paste, cut and paste, cut and paste, lose my skip markers, can't use my expansions AND I now get paid less for the reports.  Any suggestions? ...

Too Many Reports To QA
Dec 03, 2010

I just was spanked for sending too many reports to QA.  I sent ONE to QA in the last 3 months!!!  HAHAHAHA!!!  ...

QA Reports
Apr 13, 2011

Anyone out there who works remotely for a hospital.. can you tell me how your QA is done.  Wondering if most are like my employer.  Our QA is done sporadically.. maybe twice  a year.  We get a stack of reports in the mail that may be 6 months to a year old.  Our editors follow none of the standards our department has set up, and usually just whatever they feel is wrong, is wrong.  Also, we can't go back and access the voice when we are looking at the errors to ...

Where Are My QA Reports Going??????
Jan 30, 2012

I checked my work 1 hour ago.   Just checked again and all 6 reports with 100% QA are gone.   Three new reports, one with crappy grade (missed a heading), and 2 100% reports now show.    How can you maintain QA with reports flipping in and out??????  This is Nuance.  ...

Does Anyone Keep A Log Of Reports For The Day?
Apr 17, 2012

Hate to waste the time but Im gonna do it today..I have several jobs that I put through QA for terms that I really should know but cant find and I never get them back from QA with fixes...Just wondering, we were victims once before and no matter how much OT I work the counts never seem to go up much... ...

Reports
May 28, 2012

Have you ever noticed that as soon as you are proficient in an account you are switched to a new one???? AND in certain reports are required to use a standard even though it is an SR report SO you are doing straight type in an SR report, being paid at SR rate.  Something doesn't seem quite right or fair. ...

IME Reports
Jul 05, 2012

Can someone explain to me the expertise required to do IME reports as it compares to acute care hospital work? TIA ...

Reports Going To QA
Oct 16, 2012

If a report is really bad, cant even find the patient- when it is uploaded and we have a note to QA, is that report sent to be charted and the doctors, or does QA fix it, whatever, and THEN is sent? Do we do anything different so it does NOT get sent to the client first? Thanks you guys!! ...

5 Day 5 Reports For 98% On QA?
Jun 19, 2013

I was speaking with a friend of mine and he just got the last bonus and then was told he was not supposed to get the bonus because the hospital he works on doesn't get bonuses so not to expect another one and then 2 weeks ago they put him on 100% QA 5 reports a day for 5 days and then extended it for another 5 days because they said he had 98% though on the bottom of his timecard is showing 99% and the feedback has been 99%.  What are they trying to do now?  He just got a call fro ...