A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How does MModal determine pay with lines? - HK

Posted: Nov 06, 2012

1. I am kinda new, and I am wondering if anyone could tell me what the formula is to determine pay based on line counts at MModal. I know it has to do with "weighted lines."

2. What is the pay difference (cpl?) between Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3? How many tiers are there?

3. What is a ticket? No one told me about Remedy, although I require tickets for OOW situations. What does the ticket mean/do?

I don't know exactly - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you are referring to SR vs typed lines. Say you make 8 cents for MT lines and 4 cents/SR line, then you will multiply your SR lines by .4. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

A ticket is to be submitted to Remedy when you have a problem, but no one is sure why because nothing ever really happens when you submit one.

I don't know at all about the pay scales for the different tiers.

I meant how do they determine your biweekly pay check - HK

[ In Reply To ..]
I think I wasn't very clear with my first question. When I first got hired, they told me there was a formula to determining the overall pay for one biweekly period with both VR and regular transcription. I know how to determine my pay based on the line count I see in Fluency, but on the pay check itself, the lines are a different number. I was told they were called "weighted lines," and it seems in order to determine the accuracy of my pay checks, I have to know this formula. Maybe I am wrong...

I understand what you are saying - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not understand those rates on the paycheck and never have, but when I divide the number of lines shown by my actual rate, it always comes out right.

To Answer your question - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
To determine your pay based on line count:

if you make 5 cents per line for voice recognition and you produced a total of 1800 lines in 8 hours you would:

Multiply 0.05 cents x 1800 lines which would equal $90 dollars for 8 hours.

To determine your average hourly rate for that day you would simply divide $90 by 8 hours which equals $11.25 dollars an hour.

Same for straight typing. If you make 0.0875 cents per line for straight typing and produced 1400 lines in an 8 hour shift you would:

Multiple 0.0875 cents x 1400 lines which would equal $122.50 for an hour shift.

Then divide $122.50 by 8 hours and that would tell you how much you averaged per hour which would be $15.31 an hour.

The new higher packet use to have in there the pay rates for the tier levels. There are 3 tiers - Tier 1, 2 and 3.

Im not for certain of the pay scale, but its something like this:
Tier 1: VR pay starts at 0.04 cpl to 0.05 cpl and straight typing is 7 cpl to 8 cpl.

Tier 2: VR pay 0.045 cpl to 5 cpl and straight typing is 7.5 cpl to 8.5 cpl (maybe more).

Tier 3: VR pay is 5 to 6 cpl and straight typing is 8 to 10 cpl.

These are not the exact figures, as I do not have the paperwork handy, but its something like that. Also pay is based on years experience too.

As far as remedy goes, its pretty self explanatory. You can call Tech Support at the 800 number and they will add an icon to your desktop for it. Simply click on it, use your log in name and its pretty self explanatory from there. Just call tech support and tell them you need to have a remedy icon on your desktop and you need to know how to log in and submit a ticket.

If there are no jobs available it helps to submit a ticket because you can enter whether or not you choose to take PTO and your CCM or TSM can enter that in for you without you having to contact her because she will be alerted of your ticket and how many hours left in our shift so she will know to add PTO for you. Or there is an option to be released from shift without pay, that way you can make up time when work becomes available.

QUICK CORRECTION - SEE MSG

[ In Reply To ..]
Above I said:

"Multiple 0.0875 cents x 1400 lines which would equal $122.50 for an hour shift."

that should read $122.50 FOR AN 8 HOUR SHIFT, not an hour shift...sorry.

My CCM was not notified - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
I put in Remedy that I wished to get PTO for the remainder of my shift, and the message was never delivered and I didn't get it. Now I always request PTO on Schedule Source as well as putting in the remedy ticket.

I seldom run out, but when I have if I look in Teamwork, I see - CCM has already added it without

[ In Reply To ..]
me ever even saying anything. I know they are alerted of the tickets, but not all CCMs do things the same. Some are more attentive than others. Just depends on who you have I guess.

To answer question, etc - ts

[ In Reply To ..]
This example surely wasn't written by a real MT working for MModal. The calculations are correct, but the examples are best-case scenarios. I'm a Tier 3 with 30 years of experience, but I'm only getting 4/9, and when the 9 cpl reports come through, which is not often, I come to a grinding halt because they're usually the type of report you grit your teeth doing and the going is slow, and I may end up making $6 for a neary an hour's work - wow! On a good day flying along on my 4 cpl reports I may make $40. I do work part-time, but I would have made $126 for the same time 5 years ago. I know I'm not as fast as some, but this work is tedious if you care about what you're doing. To do 1800 lines a day on VR, you'd have to practically be putting the reports through as a rough draft.

1800 lines a day with accuracy is a piece of cake - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I regularly do 2500 to 3000 lines a day of VR and my quality is excellent. It really isn't that hard.
piece of cake - L
[ In Reply To ..]
That is really great that you are able to produce 2,500-3,000 lines a day of ASR.

I am a tier 2 editor/transcriber, and the other day I was given an operative report on ASR. I was able to edit that report quickly and accurately as I referred to a prior op report and looked up terms I was not sure of. So, I can see if I was a tier 3 editor/transcriber I could really make a lot of lines easy.

I have tested before for tier 3 but came up just short of a passing score. I know now that I really need to take that test again and pass it, so that I can produce more lines than I do now as a tier 2 editor/transcriber. Thank you, anon, for the encouragement.
Op notes are the only thing I have found that - ASR is pretty good at.
[ In Reply To ..]
I can really get lines built up fast, but I rarely get them, even though I am tier 3.
LOL what a joke - what a joker
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Your VR is probably excellent unlike most of the VR accounts. - dnr
[ In Reply To ..]
There are some people who make all sorts of claims about great line counts on VR when the rest of us are whining about our counts with VR. I suspect these people are lying to stir the pot or have either stellar VR or accounts with lots of standard dictation they just have to pull up into the document.

If these people aren't lying, I would like to walk a day in their shoes. I have run across moments in the cesspool where, outside of my BOB, the VR is absolutely stellar and I can zip through the job like we were promised. My experience has been that the stellar VR is from smaller accounts with English first language doctors.
Not lying. My account has the usual mix - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
of English, horrid ESL, and semireasonable ESL doctors, and very few standards. I have no reason to stir the pot, that isn't my style. Today, I've spent most of the time in other accounts and I'm still running a very good line count per hour. I haven't enjoyed the day spent in various accounts, but I'm still producing. Sorry your experience isn't the same.

to answer your question - happy at MM

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, but I do at least 1800 a day on VR and my reports are not "rough draft" quality. I take offense to the comment.

1800+ lines is very doable - Sit still, focus & keep - breaks to a minimum and

[ In Reply To ..]
stay off the internet, phone, laundry etc.

Not saying you are doing any of those things, but it really is not hard if are strictly focused on working when you are punched in. I have never hit 2500, but I do hit 1900 to 2000 with bathroom breaks, coffee breaks - Just keep breaks to a minimum and stay focused, you can do it.

You only make $40 dollars a day? I can make that in - 3 hours and on a good day 2 hrs.

[ In Reply To ..]
How can you say the above example was not written by a "real" MT working for MModal? At $40 dollars a day, that sounds even *less realistic* and you dont have to work for MModal to question that.

If you are making $6 an hour, your state either has a very low minimum wage requirement or MModal is having to supplement your income. Either way if I were you, I would find a new part-time gig because $40 a day sounds a bit unrealistic.
its not unrealistic. I too make nearly the same - after 25+ years and now
[ In Reply To ..]
employed by this company that has brought MT life to the gutter.
being out of work certainly does not help - NJA again
[ In Reply To ..]
nja

I got that math - TooOldForThis

[ In Reply To ..]
I make the same rate and I have been doing the math since I have been hired and it isn't good. They told me their TOP MT's do about 267 lines an hour.. so they are living on like 75$ a day, roughly give or take.. no way is that good enough for me.

Similar Messages:

Medical Editor For Mmodal Able To Produce More Than 200 Lines Per Hour?
Jun 16, 2012

Is anyone who is a medical editor for Mmodal able to produce more than 200 lines per hour, and how do you do it? ...

How To Determine What's Best
Sep 24, 2011

I'll be completing my coursework, taking (and hopefully) passing the CCA exam within the next couple of months.  How do you go about determining what type of facility, what type of coding job is best for you?  I'm trying to decide what type of jobs I should apply for.  ...

Has Anyone Been Able To Determine A Pattern Regarding The Slowdown Of DQS? Sm
Jun 10, 2010

Jobs have been uploading and downloading all morning very quickly but all of a sudden are downloading very slowly again.  I have to wait for the audio to complete downloading and at times am typing faster than the download (on a DSL connection with no problems with my internet).  This downloading slowly problem seems to have at some point everyday but I haven't been able to figure out a pattern.  Can this be controlled somehow or it is just a coincidence?  Has anybody el ...

How To Determine Your Line Count On Your Check Stub
Jul 15, 2012

Can someone please tell me how to determine your line count on your check stub.  I can't make heads nor tails of it.  The hours are correct, I just can't figure out the line counts.  ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

About How Many Lines?
Dec 10, 2010

Can anybody that types radiology tell me how on average about how many lines they do an hour or a day?  I am being switched to by the line and have always been paid by the report.  Thanks.  ...

TT Lines?
Feb 11, 2011

Does anyone else struggle to get 2000 lines a day with TransTech?  I've been at TT for about 4-1/2 years, but I'm having a hard time getting over 2000 lines a day.  If you get more than 2000 a day in your 8 hours, can you share your tips?   ...

VBC Lines
Mar 19, 2011

Seems like with the industry pretty much switching to VBC lines, we should get a higher line rate.  Like that is going to happen.  Thoughts? ...

150 Lines Per Hr Or ASR 350?
Sep 09, 2011

so I get my offer from MedQuist today after they acquired AllType.  In order to qualify for benefits, I have to type 150 lines per hr or do voice recognition editing at 350 per hr.  I don't know if I can do this.  On a good account, no problem.  But ASR on accounts I have been doing are ridiculous, so many random errors, no way you can skim through them.  Any body out there that consistently gets these line counts every week without working more than 39 hrs per week ...

Why Does QA Take Lines Away From You If...
Jan 08, 2012

you send in a report with a blank?  or even if they think you made an error like with comma placement?  They end up taking three lines away if you leave a blank for a doctor's name that you could not understand or verify!  do all places do this, or just some?  I don't think it is ethical, myself.  but just asking.  ...

My First VR Job....how Many Lines?
Mar 29, 2012

The company that hired me as an IC wants to know how many lines I will agree to produce per day.  This will be my first job as doing voice recognition.  I am clueless.  I know how many lines I can transcribe but this is a totally different ballgame, right?  I do not want to over comit.  How would you suggest I handle this question on their forms?  TIA ...

How Do They Keep Up With VR Lines?
May 21, 2012

When I check to see how many lines I've done today there are none for the work I've done with VR.  How can they tell what I'd done? Do they just guess????????? I'd not be surprised at all. ...

Pay Per Pt Vs Lines
May 23, 2012

i transcribe for a local physician and get paid per patient (and not very much!) instead of by the line.  i've been doing this for a couple of years now and just cannot get used to not being paid by the line.....it's like i just eat, sleep and breathe by the line!!!  and i cannot even get the physician to even try to understand how being paid by the line works.  needless to say, there is a huge discrepancy in pay between per patient and lines and even more so when i' ...

How Many Lines In A Day?
Dec 08, 2012

I am curious as to how many lines on average you do in a day.  Please no posts complaining about lack of work or big bad MTSOs...  I really am just looking for a number and would really like to try to get this info with as little drama as possible.   Thank you :) ...

VR Lines
Jan 29, 2013

Can any large producer out there tell me how many lines they are able to do in voice per hour?  I cannot get past 400 and was wondering if anyone could.   ...

How Many Lines??
May 17, 2013

Seriously, does anyone know how many lines per hour it would take to make a $1400.00 gross paycheck, not counting the "quarterly bonus" figuring my QA score was 99.5... lol!!! I used to know and achieve this back the Webmedx days, right now I have no idea. Thanks! ...

Lines
Dec 09, 2014

Has anyone else noticed that the LPH average has dropped? I am typing more than I was and yet it is still lower significantly?  ...

QT Lines?
Dec 17, 2014

Where are the QT lines that we used to get paid 1 cent for?  I don't see any of that listed on the time card. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me (lines)......
Jan 29, 2015

how they calculate your lph rate now? Minimum is 100 clph. I'm wondering b/c since they half the speech lines, this does not seem to be your true accurate LPH. For instance if I type 100 in an hour and do 100 speech in the same hour, do they strictly look at that and say your LPH is 200 OR do they say 100 for regular, only 50 for speech, so your LPH is 150? B/c as you see, the later formula makes it appear as if you actually do less when in fact you don't and that is not accurate. I as ...

Minimum Lines Per Day
Jan 11, 2010

I asked this question already on the company board, but I ask it also on this board: What do companies do if an MT turns in 98% accurate work, or above, but does not transcribe the minimum lines per day, as an employee? Does this MT always get fired, or how do companies handle this? TIA ...

VR - How Many Lines Per Hour Do You Do? (sm)
Jan 21, 2010

With decades of experience as an MT, I'm just now getting into VR. I'd like to know, if you would please care to share, just how many lines per hour you are able to get with VR. I know this varies from person to person and platform to platform, but please, help me out with this! I'm terrified I'm going to go broke doing this! Thanks in advance. ...

VR - Lines Per Hour
Feb 05, 2010

I don't have much to compare to, as this is the only company I've worked for as an editor. I wanted to get an idea of the different platforms we each use and our lines per hour. Talking only about editing and not straight typing, what do you average lph and what platform do you use?  Thank you!  ...

Meditech Lines
Feb 26, 2010

I am wonderinig about how Meditech counts lines; if they pay on 65 character line and say meditech does not have that many characters on a line, but around 49-50, do you come out less or does it equal out in the end ?  Thanks everyone.  Just love the program ...