A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How to Determine What's Best - Soon-to-be-Coder2

Posted: Sep 24, 2011

I'll be completing my coursework, taking (and hopefully) passing the CCA exam within the next couple of months.  How do you go about determining what type of facility, what type of coding job is best for you?  I'm trying to decide what type of jobs I should apply for. 

Suggestion - Been there

[ In Reply To ..]
Now is not the time to be picky! Trust me on this. It's fine to think about what you might like, but what it all boils down to is that you should apply for everything and anything, and take the first one that offers. You can then move on from there.

Even if it is something you decide you don't like, the experience is valuable. When I was first hired by my current employer, I had to take a job I thought was useless. But, it turns out that I use what I learned there every day. That information gives me an edge, in fact. Because of it, I can figure things out that nobody else can.

Let's say you want to work in a hospital doing inpatient coding, but you get offered a job with Dr. X first. That's not so bad, because by the time you end up in a hospital job, you'll have a clear view of Dr. X's needs and frustrations, so you can begin to understand why he documents the way he does in the patient record. You'll also have an overview knowledge of outpatient billing and coding, so when the time comes that you want to move out into consulting and teaching, well, you'll have that experience. If you started as an inpatient coder and never learned anything else, you might not be able to do that consulting.

Everything is good, even if you don't think so right now.

Most of us here would recommend that you attempt both the CCS and the CPC. If you can't pass them, then take the CCA. Your school probably promotes the CCA, but it's not all that helpful in the job market. You'll do a lot better with the CCS and CPC. Those are the key to getting jobs--not the CCA. The CCS says "I'm ready to work." The CCA says "I'm ready to start learning coding and expect you to teach me." If you were an employer, which would appeal to you more?

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Been Able To Determine A Pattern Regarding The Slowdown Of DQS? Sm
Jun 10, 2010

Jobs have been uploading and downloading all morning very quickly but all of a sudden are downloading very slowly again.  I have to wait for the audio to complete downloading and at times am typing faster than the download (on a DSL connection with no problems with my internet).  This downloading slowly problem seems to have at some point everyday but I haven't been able to figure out a pattern.  Can this be controlled somehow or it is just a coincidence?  Has anybody el ...

How Does MModal Determine Pay With Lines?
Nov 06, 2012

1. I am kinda new, and I am wondering if anyone could tell me what the formula is to determine pay based on line counts at MModal. I know it has to do with "weighted lines." 2. What is the pay difference (cpl?) between Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3? How many tiers are there? 3. What is a ticket? No one told me about Remedy, although I require tickets for OOW situations. What does the ticket mean/do? ...

How To Determine Your Line Count On Your Check Stub
Jul 15, 2012

Can someone please tell me how to determine your line count on your check stub.  I can't make heads nor tails of it.  The hours are correct, I just can't figure out the line counts.  ...