A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Finally experienced the "you're-the-dirt-on-the-bottom-of-my-shoe" phenomenon - clyde

Posted: Dec 23, 2014

My HDSM for months now in her emails that are getting fewer and fewer always says she is "still making calls" to us and if we need anything to contact her and she will get back to us right away. 

Well, 2 weeks ago I needed to talk to her about something so I sent her an email.  The silence has been deafening ever since.  I imagine she's putting up her Christmas tree, wrapping gifts for her kids, and making fruitcake for her neighbors. 

I've been patient.  I now know the lesson isn't for me to be patient, but to be tolerant and subservient. 

A week after my email, I heard back from her and she scheduled a call with me for last week.  Apparently that appointment wasn't important to her.  And it no longer is to me either.  This MT (I refuse to use the ridiculous abbreviations they make up for us, and which change more frequently than lipstick lady changes her lipstick) is now out for herself. 

I'll work my schedule.  I'll even work OT when it's offered.  I'll work holidays I'm scheduled to work.  I'll fill out Teamwork and approve my time card.  What won't I be doing?  Answering calls during work hours.  Reading emails during work hours.  Answering emails during work hours.  Returning any calls from anyone in MModal unless it's from Tech Support and I requested the call. 

My job is now all about me.  Not my relationships with those above me.  It is now about my paycheck, clocking in and clocking out.

And I know this will go completely unnoticed by my HDSM, TSA, PC and whatever other initials are out there floating around in MModal-land. 

I am now one of you.  This job is a means to an end.  I love learning new things and getting "engrossed" in a report that I'm interested in.  I used to like the people I work for.  I even used to respond to their motivational emails (it makes me sick to think of what a suck-up I was back then...2 weeks ago).  

Now I realize I'm just another name in a long list of names, faceless people who will either do their jobs or not.  I'm nothing more than a factory employee, working on the line, clocking in and clocking out, every day the same. 

I'm ashamed of my industry, ashamed of my employer, ashamed of my supervisor(s), and ashamed of myself. 

You know how you cook a frog?  You put him in a pot of lukewarm water and let him happily swim around.  Turn up the flame a little bit and the water begins to warm and the frog notices it's warmer but it's not really hot so he's still happy.  Turn it up a little more, ever so gradually, and pretty soon the water is hot and the frog is not happy. But it's too late because he's too tired, to far gone, and with not enough energy or even motivation to jump out of the pot.  #ClydeTheFrog

Sorry to see you here on the shoe, but welcome - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
At this point, what MModal most excels at is taking loyal, hardworking, experienced MTs and making them cease to give a damn and, eventually, leave.

It's part of the Dirt Cheap Package they sell to their customers.

I was doing really well up until February, when they gave the transcription job I'd had for 10-1/2 years to India and threw me into the editing cesspool (which they emailed me about at 4:45 p.m., which is well after my shift ends, the day before the change), since which time I've gone from $25 an hour to minimum wage and have to work 3 other jobs and 90 hours a week to maintain a lavish lifestyle that includes electricity and food. I get 4 hours of sleep a night. I never see my kids. I cry every day.

I've realized I can get low pay and treated like garbage anywhere, so after the holidays, some other employer (ANY other employer) is going to win the right to abuse me for this particular 40 hours.

I always use the frog analogy! - TrampledUnderfoot

[ In Reply To ..]
I always think of that same story when it comes to this job. They keep turning up the heat under the pot and we'll all just sit here til we're cooked!

Ribbit.

Me too - fadingstar

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel like the bottom of the barrel right now. I feel like I'm letting my family down. First they "lost" my PTO request for Christmas and then refused to let me take any time at all off that day, even though they not only fully admit there will be no work, they are openly hoping for it. So I had to cancel my plans for that day, but I will also be sitting here with no work. My family is so tired of hearing my complain I just go sit in the bathroom and cry.

Here's an idea: If they claim they "lost" your - (smsg)

[ In Reply To ..]
PTO request, I think you should delete that email and take the day off anyway. If they even notice you were off, just tell them you "never got the email."

What goes around, comes around.

Do you KNOW how many times I've taken off without permission? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If something comes up with my family and I can't get my PTO request approved I take it anyway. Remember the old quote, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission. That is 1000% true of this company.

Do you know how many times I've been questioned about taking said days off without permission? ZERO. ZILCH.

If you want or need the day off, GO. Your family is #1 priority and if you asked for the time off and they "lost" your request, screw them ... take it anyway. With over *400* employees to micromanage and babysit, who's gonna know?
I hear there will be an internet outage in your area Thursday - just saying
[ In Reply To ..]
Hey it happened in North Korea. One never knows.

Take the time off! - Please be with your family!!

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked one Christmas instead of going to see my mother. Ten days later she was dead. Don't sacrifice your family for this godawful PODPrison

Remake those plans and spend it with your family!! - do it

[ In Reply To ..]
Get the "stomach flu", have an "electrical outage", or best yet, internet problems!

I am single, don't have much local family, and Christmas isn't important to me. So, wherever I have worked, I had volunteered to work this holiday. I really find it offensive that you automatically have to work it if it "falls on a regular work day"

IMO, you should not give up this important family day for this money grubbing heartless company. Heck, the Indians get their major religous holiday off and the shuttle the work out of there to us and other offshore employees.

Now, Thanksgiving, that's _my_ holiday! I didn't get it off and so banked on no work, but, for the first time, I had work all day and missed out on everything just for a measly minimum wage job.

So, don't give up this important family time! I'm sure there is some weather issue in your area that will "knock out the internet " (wink, wink).

How can they possibly have lost your PTO request? - It is documented in teamwork and

[ In Reply To ..]
the request should show their, either as open, denied or approved?

You forgot quiet - just saying

[ In Reply To ..]
The only time they want to hear our opinion or suggestions is at the end of year survey which they dump in the trash anyway. The rest of the year if you speak out you just end up with a target on your back for audits and closer scrutiny of your schedule and line counts or on the short end of a list for layoffs. The squeaky wheel gets fired. That is why they hate this board so much- they like to maintain their delusion that their employees are happy and love their job.

Bottom line, glad you finally realized the truth about this company. Sorry it took so long. It has never been about relationships and even more so now with each manager with 400 MTs beneath them. The company may speak about job promotions and career advancement, but that is just what they tell their investors to make them sound like a real company. They have no intent of moving anyone from where they are.

So you can either accept the situation or move on. Me, I choose to keep my head down and work the overtime to pay for school and pay off some bills so I can get a real job when the kids are out of the house. Almost done.

Similar Messages:

Hot Shoe
Aug 05, 2010

HOT SHOE OR HOTCHU or whatever it sounds like,   this doctor keeps repeating this term.  Could anybody help me with this please? ...

The Shoe And The Other Foot
Dec 03, 2010

I was just wondering, reading the job ads, if it would be considered offensive to the experienced MT for ads for employment to state: No senior or experienced MT's over 5 years need apply! Ok, sure it is hypothetically a stupid question but, even though no experienced MT will answer it honestly, still makes a point. No matter what, if every job you looked at AUTOMATICALLY knocked you out of the water because the company preferred newer, younger, fresher, more trainable, less set in their ...

Hot Shoe Forceps
Dec 04, 2010

I think I posted this in the wrong place the first time... need to know if anyone has heard the term hot shoe forceps.  Not sure if it is Hatshu, or hot shoe... just can't find anything remotely like it anywhere.  A polyp in the colon was biopsied and ablated with hot shoe forceps.  Any ideas? ...

S/l Lomeit Phenomenon
Nov 01, 2009

motion without Spurling sign produced or lomeit phenomena described ...

Gaesbach Phenomenon
Jun 16, 2014

---due to chronic hypoxia.  Dictator spelled out very clearly, but I could find no references to this anywhere.  Legitimate or not? Missplelled?  What is it?  Thks ...

Yin-yang Phenomenon Of Liver??? On Doppler
Apr 14, 2011

on doppler sounds like yin-yand phenomenon in liver???? ...

Ortho Help, Anyone Ever Heard Of A S/l Hobser Shoe For Ankle Sprain? TIA.
Oct 16, 2009

x ...

Straining/versus Streaming Phenomenon In The Heart?
Apr 01, 2010

Doc is doing a cath, he is ESL, and I cannot verify either "straining phenomenon" versus "streaming phenomenon."  Any thoughts?  Cannot even find it in stedmans books.. thanks ...

Seems Like All I Get Lately Is The Bottom Of The Barrel, Most
Aug 15, 2010

mush-mouthed dictators, the WORST audio, more and and more often.  Okay, this does not surprise me one bit (I know what is going on....convinced MQ is trying to get US MTs to quit--I know that)....it's just.........HOW do they know in advance who the crappy dictators are/poor audio is to make sure we get?  They'd have to listen to it first.  I don't get it.  Could it just be that they tell they Indians to kick back all the crap and we'll do it?   ...

Bottom Keeps Falling Out
Aug 23, 2011

I'm surprised to see how each week seems to bring new job postings on here for lower and lower wages, even for IC's, where some have posted effective line rates (once you figure in a minimum of 15% for withholding) of 2.5 to 6 cents per line. It's like there is a game of chicken going on.  Employers keep lowering the bar on pay, and MTs keep migrating to the few jobs that still pay decently.  Eventually something has to give - either there will be no one left doing the ...

What Is Rock Bottom, Anyway?
Dec 28, 2011

I worked all day today for less than what I made per day in 1985, at my second-ever transcription job. I hang by a thread to my rental home (already lost home I owned) and belongings, as do so many others...each day I force my gnarled and painful fingers to their respective limits, well beyond their limitations, eeking out just another hour...this hour for the cat's food, another hour to pay the internet bill, so I can work another hour...and so on. I remember when I was in my mid ...

Bottom Line
Jun 03, 2013

the bottom line is this business is not one to get into.  i produce the same lines, but earn a significantly less amount year after year.  it is impossible to be 100% accurate at all times no matter how good you are.  it is too easy to miss a little word, not edit correct due to eye strain, and long hours on a computer.  i have been looking to get out and today was the straw that broke the camels back.  if they had any brains, they would go back to critical errors are of course terrible and ...

SORE BOTTOM
Feb 25, 2014

Does anyone have any suggestions for seat cushion/pad to help with a sore/numb rump and leg circulation? Thanks!! :D ...

The Bottom Line Sm
Dec 05, 2014

is the people making these decisions have no idea what MT entails and do not care.  They don't think that we MTs might have a problem with the Indian QC giving us our quality scores.  They don't think that maybe the Indian QC may be changing a correct term to a wrong term.  They don't care that we can be dinged for a demographics error, yet cannot verify that we actually DID make the error.  The whole thing stinks.  As I have seen in this forum over and ov ...

Bottom Line With Working At MM...
Feb 23, 2013

So many people with so many questions about working here. Trying to make this a full-time job has been extremely difficult, having to work odd hours whenever there happens to be work. If you're someone who is just looking for a little extra pocket money, maybe this company could work out for you.  If you're someone who doesn't mind not having a schedule or a life outside of work, maybe this job would be okay. If either of these things are objectionable, I would suggest you lo ...

Update To Sore Bottom
Mar 10, 2014

I was the one who posted about using a memory foam pillow, but after the next poster mentioned the Herman Miller Mirra chair, I decided to do some research. I ended up going to a used office supply store and purchasing a Steelcase Leap.  Great chair, but the lumbar support didn't go low enough for my small frame.  So after a week of lower back pain, I went back to the store and exchanged it for the Herman Miller.  I just started using it today and already I'm thrilled. ...

Starting All Over As A Newbie At The Bottom
Mar 11, 2014

of the ladder, working all nights, weekends, and holidays again, and having to learn a new field & stress over working up speed, accuracy, constantly being audited because you're new... I think they've just burnt me out too much doing MT to even be able to consider being able to handle all that at this point!  I don't know if my poor old brain could handle it anymore. ...

In Terms Of What You Earn Per Day - What Is Your Bottom Line?
Apr 14, 2012

A post on the company board got me to think about what it is we (as MTs) need in terms of pay.  Does 3 cpl provide for you and your family (if you have dependents)? Does 12 cpl provide that need?  What is your daily average of income regardless of whether it is voice recognition or straight income?  Do you have a bottom line that you will not cross or will find something outside of medicatl transcription? I will post separately my personal need and hope others will share theirs. ...

In Regards To The Field Of American MT Hitting Rock Bottom...
Apr 03, 2010

IMO, and again, this is only my opinion, hitting rock bottom should equate to more than just what we're earning now as individuals.  In order to judge whether or not the FIELD of MT has hit rock bottom in America, we would have to look at it as we see it on the inside and think if it would be a career we would choose to support ourselves on if we were just choosing careers for the first times as single people trying to support fresh out of school or a person changing careers to a ...

It's True. Night Shift Gets The Bottom Of The Barrel.
Sep 10, 2013

Just signed into my account to get some extra in because of OOW for the past month, at least.  Surprise, surprise. What I have been reading is true!  The worst of the worst dictators are on and only them.  Gosh, it seems like there is some cherry picking going on, perhaps from overseas?  Unbelievable.  Hardly worth the frustration. Not one good one out of the bunch.  Boy, don't we work for some POS people?  ...

Recent Complaints Suggesting S/l "larameets" Phenomenon
Dec 05, 2011

recent complaints suggesting s/l "larameets" phenomenon ...

Are Unenthusiastic Workers Hurting Your Business’s Bottom Line?
Jun 24, 2013

By Sarah Halzack,  Updated: Monday, June 24, 9:15 AM If employees don’t like their boss or aren’t stimulated by their work, can that lack of enthusiasm weigh on a company’s bottom line? That was the question that Gallup set out to answer in a new study that compared workers by categorizing them in to three groups: “engaged” workers, those who are passionate about and committed to their work; “not engaged,” those who are coasting; and &ld ...

Has Anyone Experienced...
Apr 12, 2010

I was wondering if anyone has expereinced having applied to an advertisement for a transcription job with any particular MTSO, receiving an "invitation to test" at around midnight, and then attempting to take the test.  What I found when attempting to take the "transcription test", was an hour and a half of written test, not a voice file transcription test, with very detailed questions.  I spent an hour and a half taking this test and checking every answer on the internet, whether I th ...

To VERY Experienced MTs
Feb 21, 2012

I have about 25 years in MT, owning a MTS and filling other roles in the field as well. Frequently on this board I read the frustrated posts from those with 20 to 30 years of experience who have submitted resumes/applications but do not hear back from the hiring company.  A couple of times I have suggested that OVERQUALIFICATION may explain the lack of call back.  Both times I was personally verbally attacked on this board, with the notion called "ridiculous" and "absurd." ...

Which Course For Experienced Nurse
Aug 11, 2010

I am looking into MT programs and wondering about one which advertises that it is geared to nurses: MT@Home Medical Transcription. It costs significantly less than the three programs which I see referenced quite a bit  -Andrews, M-Tec and Career Step, but it seems like these programs involve so much material that I already know. Years ago I did transcription for nurses, I've worked in hopitals/home and office environments as a nurse (also years ago) and I worked in pharmaceutical sales ...

Advice From The Experienced?
Jul 28, 2011

I am a newbie MT and wanted some advice from those of you more experienced than I. Today, every single dictation I have had is from a foreign doctor..the latest one said (not kidding) toe bec abu in da pa...which I finally made out to be tobacco abuse in the past. My line count is horrible! How do you compensate for reports like this that take a long time, while maintaining a decent line count? Thanks. ...

Is 14 Cpl Fair For Experienced IC?
Mar 28, 2012

I have been an IC for over 5 years and have decided to increase my rates from 12 cpl to 14 cpl.  In doing that, one of my doctors is thinking about replacing me.  I thought 14 cpl was a fair rate.  What does everyone else think? ...

I Think That All/most Of The Good, Experienced MTs
Mar 01, 2015

are going to end up quitting as soon as they possibly can, leaving behind a ton of newbies that will be super EASY to catch errors on (sorry newbies but you know it's true---it was true of myself when I was new).  And the newbies won't complain about getting 7 cpl EVERY week.  How's THAT for patient safety for ya? ...

Experienced But Feeling Like A Newbie!
Sep 12, 2011

I have been a transcriptionist for the past 10 years, working in cardiology, acute care and now radiology. I do radiology part-time from home right now and most shifts I do not even average minimum wage because of a shortage of work. The company I work for is small and works two typists per shift when there is only enough work for one. It is so frustrating! I have sent out about 20 resumes in the last couple of weeks and haven't heard a word from anyone. It used to be so easy to get a job b ...

Are Experienced MTs Finding Work Now Or Is There
Jan 05, 2012

not much out there. ...