A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

is it the norm for the company to be making half of what they pay you? - wondering

Posted: Nov 22, 2014

Just wondering what the rule of thumb is as far as what the company gets paid per line versus what they pay the MT per line.  Is "half" the norm or considered "fair?"

Well - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
If the company only got paid half of what we get paid, they'd be losing money.

I think you mean do we get half of what they get. In MT world, I'm not sure, but as with other "middle men," the worker generally gets half of what the client/customer is paying.

Last I heard... - Winston

[ In Reply To ..]
From a HIM director friend of mine who was contracting M*Modal... the hospital was paying them $0.28 a line. Do THAT math.

Expenses vs profit - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The MTSO has to fund the expenses of doing business out of their "half." That means that they don't really get half. The amount left over after funding business expenses is not as much as you might think.

If they did not operate the business, pay for a building to put it in and computer networks, hire and pay people to run it, advertise for clients, etc., there would be no company.

Funny, though, how the income we create - for the MTSOs as MTs is funneled away

[ In Reply To ..]
To workers unnecessary for the task at hand and these workers are handsomely compensated and we are made to feel like loser minimum wage workers (which thanks to them we have become for the most part).

I speak of the tech people who are paid handsomely, and when I call them after my shift they are compensated and I am not.

I speak of whoever it is who dreams up all these "education" webinars which nobody has time to take because we are all sitting around waiting for enough work we can type so we are not hurting financially. Plus what use are credentials anymore? They mean absolutely nothing and you get paid no more for them.

I speak of all the mid and upper management who get paid to "optimize capacity" and make sure no OTAT who actually get paid HOURLY to tell us MTs (who actually produce the work and the income to pay them) we need to "flex" when there is no work because they have over-hired or mis-scheduled, which has become increasingly more frequent.

How about cutting some of that nonproductive fat and paying us more?

They do not see a need to because ... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They don't see a need to do that because they think they will not need you much longer. They are gearing up, instead, for conversion to front-end SR which requires no MTs typing and no MTs "editing." No work even leaves the facility, or even the doctor doing the report.

A lot of the big players' overhead has gone into that. Developing it, getting it tested, and buying up smaller companies for access to their clientele.

Yes, they think computer support is more valuable than you are because they have skills that can be used in the future. They don't plan on needing you. They don't plan on needing anyone outside of India.

This is not my opinion, so please don't accuse me. This is where the transcription industry is going. This is what your employers think. This is what drives your pay down.
Gee thanks for reinforcing how useless - we MTs are
[ In Reply To ..]
And showing how sympathetic you are to their values at the expense of us MTs. I really do not feel I need a lesson on this.

I feel like you are just guessing too, unless you fess up and you are actually someone up in the hierarchy, right? I really feel you are not an MT.

Fact is, I don't really care how they justify how they have robbed us of decent pay, I don't care about their future plans.

If deregulation and offshoring hadn't been allowed to happen, they would still have to be paying us a decent wage for decent work.

The "big players" as you put it, are not attempting to justify their shafting of our profession, they just pay as little as they can because they can get away with it.

So why are you attempting to justify it?
Telling it like it is is not "justifying it." - It is just a wake-up call.
[ In Reply To ..]
No one us "justifying it." It is a wake-up call.

I am not an MT anymore. I got out when my income with Medquist dropped to below poverty level. Don't work for an MTSO, but I do work in a field where I can see what is going on a lot more clearly than you can.

Offshoring drove down the rates, but front-end SR is going to eliminate the job entirely. It is already happening.

It's outrageous, but it's the norm - in this shady biz

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know about these days, but from 2002-2007, until the acct was gone, my boss/MTSO got .20 or .21 per line (gross line too)--and we got .09-- I got .10 eventually and a few others who had been with the co for a decade+ got .11. There were 40 employees. Believe me, I did the math. It was shocking. MTSO owner lived in a 10-bed mansion (mom and pop op)-- I always thought I'd never heard of a ratio of distribution like this...essentially, an agency making this kind of profit. Do you call that 100%+ profit re the .21/.09 'split'? You know, an agency typically gets 10-15%, right? This is like an "agent" who gets 100% 'forever' on YOU. It was irritating but at the time we all made good money, but not millions (ha!) like the MTSO. What I wouldn't do for just a small percentage of that now, the old 'salary.' Oh, this was IC btw. Another field that comes to mind is the "head hunting" industry, in which it was customary to make 1% of the person's salary if you 'matched' someone for hire with a company; cab drivers typically have a 50/50 split with the cab co., but it's the company's car. Of course, the MTSO has some ongoing involvement with the account/hospital...a couple of meetings per year, signing checks and many, many trips to the bank... they also got the account!

Similar Messages:

Is Cherrypicking Allowed At Your Company? Is This The Norm?
Aug 26, 2011

I have been with my company for many years and have liked the account I am on until the past 3 months.  Three months ago, they hired on 3 new MTs and now suddenly all the easy doctors disappear from the queue first, even if there are other reports out of TAT.  Warnings have been given by account manager, but only 2 days later, the cherrypickers are back at it.  I am now getting stuck with a majority of the harder docs that no one wants to do and have watched my pay ...

How To You Transcribe This: Half 1% Lidocaine And Half Percent Marcaine.
Apr 22, 2010

x ...

Time And A Half Or Line And A Half Tomorrow
Jul 03, 2013

x ...

How Would You Type "half And Half 1% Lidocaine"
Oct 15, 2013

Overstaffing: The New Norm?
Apr 16, 2011

Just wondering if there are ANY MTSOs out there that don't overstaff their accounts.  Read the boards here; it's fairly obvious that ALL if not MOST of them have overstaffed their accounts. And to the Keystrokes Damage Control team, don't even bother with your spin.  Keystrokes accounts are grossly overstaffed!  And even IF some of them weren't, as a few on here repeatedly proclaim, then that is an INDICTMENT of the "PRODUCTION COORDINATORS ...

When Quitting/is This The Norm?
Apr 10, 2012

I gave notice to my employer last week that I had to quit. I sent her a very nice email thanking her for the opportunity, but it just wasn't going to work out for me. I was very pleasant and upbeat, but I have yet to receive an acknowledgement. I was even able to log in with my password still. It's been 5 days now. You'd think she would have read her email by now, right? ...

Do Things Seem More Chaotic Now Or Is This The Norm? I Came
Jul 17, 2011

My account, which is a massive account, has a revolving door of MTs working on it.  There are never enough.  Seems to be causing havoc. ...

MTSO Overstaffing Is The NORM Now, Right?
Dec 08, 2011

Last year I left the moderate-sized MTSO I worked for to work for a smaller company.   My former employer had overstaffed the accounts to the point that I was borderline homeless, so I had no choice but to leave. At first, things were better at the new company.  The CPL is slightly better (9 versus 8 at the other gig), and I was making about $1200 every 2 weeks.  That isn't great but at least I can live on it, and I work less than 30 hours per week.  About a ...

Remember When Getting A CMT Differential Was The Norm?
Dec 19, 2012

Just reminscing, lol.  Five years ago I used to get a 1 cpl CMT differential and that was not uncommon or hard to find.  Through a buyout by Transcend that differential was taken away and now with another buyout Nuance not only has no differential also, but wants to pay those of us with a CMT the same rate as a new hire with no credential.  I love the ads that say "CMT or RMT preferred" but the hidden ending to that sentence is "but we don't want to pay you for it."  W ...

IC Contract Question - Is This The Norm??
Feb 17, 2013

What do you think of this? Is this a normal inclusion on a contract? Personally, I think this is a load of B.S. (P.S., they only pay 5.75 cents/per line to begin with, for straight transcription.) Any errors requiring extra processing (blanks/questions) or reprocessing (resends) created by the Subcontractor will incur a charge that will be billed to the Subcontractor by the Contractor. Charges will be made on a per-line basis of the entire (re)processed document with said line being 65 charact ...

NO WORK - INCENTIVE WEEKEND - PER NORM
Mar 05, 2011

Anyone else outta work on this glorious BONUS weekend.  I am just trying to work my normal schedule. This is ridiculous, but not surprising.  :/ ...

Is This The Norm For This Time Of Year - Meaning
Nov 24, 2012

long does this usually last? I am in the process to applying for other jobs to places in my area, non-MT and even got a couple resumes out for some Part Time IC positions. Wondering if I should apply for partial unemployment? Is this a yearly thing this time of the year? No work for the past two days and looking at the statistics, there is only just over 12,000 jobs out there company wide and for each job out there, there is probbly 5 MTs waiting and hoping to snag it. ...

Security Document Signing The Norm?
Jun 06, 2014

Just getting a chance to finally get hired!!! A requirement is to electronically sign documents swearing to confidentiality and another stating that "Additionally, as part of our contract with the Florida Department of Children and Families, we must ensure that each of our Independent Contractors meets the department's internal security and HIPAA confidentiality requirements. Are these normal to be signed by companies?  ...

0.5 Of 1% (or) One-half Of 1%.
Jun 10, 2011

Which is correct?   Thank you! ...

Pay Cut In Half?
Aug 26, 2013

With Fluency my pay will be cut in half - 4 cents now instead of 8 cents.......am scared to death. ...

1/2 Pin Or Half Pin??
Feb 20, 2015

A 2.7 mm ___ pin was placed in bicortical fashion. ...

Been Here Half A Year
Aug 18, 2011

Ive never not given a notice, but I interviewed today and might get the job. You all know the deal, I just can't afford to work here and they want to fill the position Im trying for immediately.  Do you think after only 6 months, I have to give them a notice?  If so, how much of one?  It feels so wrong to just up and quit, but I can't pay my bills!  Another 2 weeks, or even one just puts me further in the whole.  I made more on unemployment! ...

1 Little Job In Half An Hour
Jan 24, 2013

13 jobs in 2 days. Love it!  Make sure to put it in Remedy though so they can keep track and work later hours when jobs are there. Sorry, that's not an option for me.  ...

Anyone Want My Rad Work...i'll Pay U Half
Jan 28, 2013

Im loaded with work, over 400 jobs on the system and i just dont feel like doing it.  How's that....sell off my work hahaha, act like MModal and let someone else do it for "half".      ...

And I Get Paid Half For This?
Sep 11, 2013

Dictated: and if he does okay, will send him home. ASR: he had a dislocation of the long pants array. So close ASR, so close!! American doctor, no accent, clear as day. But thanks for trying If it was an occasional thing, I could understand but seems to be getting worse rather then better. ...

If Your Glass Is Half Empty
Jul 20, 2010

If your glass is half empty, read on...  It’s those rose colored glasses I wear, I guess.  Just trying to reach out and have an open dialogue about the future of our jobs and the way we’ve been treated.  If  my posts irritate you, move on, but why attack?  Couldn’t you use those language skills you have for something other than pooping in your own nest?  Animals don’t even do that.  I thought we were all in this together. &n ...

Angina Class III To III And A Half??
Aug 20, 2010

Has anyone come across this...dictator says...angina class III to III and a half.  Would that be the proper way of putting in report??? ...

How To Transcribe - Is It One-half Maintenance? 
Mar 02, 2011

one and a half maintenance?  Is it one-half maintenance?  ...

Half-dead Doctors
Mar 29, 2013

Why is it that MTs (especially the ones who are starting out) have the opportunity to transcribe dictated reports from doctors that sound half dead, like they are using their last breath to dictate a report? It's amazing to me when QA tells me that they can make out everything these doctors say. What do the more seasoned MTs think about this? ...

Maybe The Suits Should All Kick In Half Their
Mar 08, 2014

They'd still have plenty left over for the lifestyle they've carved out for themselves. I bet Vern and Amy are having a good chuckle right now. ...

My Wages Have Been Cut In Half Since Going From Transcribing To SR
May 27, 2014

My wages have been cut in half since going from transcribing to SR.  Anybody else? ...

Spent Half The Morning
Jul 23, 2014

explaining why I billed what I did on an invoice.  This MD pays by the hour.  He set the hourly wage and now I have to justify why it took as long as it did.  This is a new physican whom I have worked for for only 2-3 weeks in a specialty that is new to me in a state I don't live in. Anyone else ever have to do this? ...

Holiday Pay...isn't Time And A Half Or Is It? Sm
Dec 03, 2014

Please explain someone. I am not getting time and a half from their calculations. By law it has to be. From my calculations and comparing to the old method, it is not time and a half. I'm very concerned with this. ...

New Years Day Time And A Half Pay?
Jan 01, 2015

is today time and a half pay?  holiday pay? ...

Is Veterans Day A Holiday We Get Time-and-a-half For?
Nov 11, 2010

I can never find anything on MQ Central!  Thanks. ...