A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

per word editing rate? - mc

Posted: Jun 24, 2010

I am being offered an editing job, and the company wants to know what my per-word rate would be for editing. I've never done per word before, so I'm wondering what a reasonable rate would be? Help! I don't want to undersell myself, but I don't want to give out a totally unreasonable amount. Thanks in advance! Smile

What I would do - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Pull in a report/document that you have done (if you're currently working) into Word. Check the line count with spaces and divide by the per line rate you would want. See how much money you would make off that document. Then divide that amount by the word count, it should give you a ball park figure of how much per word would make it equal to the line rate you want.

For example, I just pulled in a small GI consult I just typed. Total characters with spaces was 1196 divided by 65 = 18.4 lines x .045 (editing line rate) = $0.828

$0.828 divided by 182 total words = $0.0045

Line rate for editing at 0.045 = $0.828 for the document
Word rate at 0.0045 = 0.828 for the document.
Line rate for typing at 0.09 = 1.65 for the total document

This is assuming you would accept 4.5 cents per line for editing, you can put in whatever line rate you would want.

Again, this is just a small GI consult, so if you were doing something that used smaller words you would get more money, or something with longer words, you would get less money, it just depends on the terminology the doc uses, etc.

thank you! - mc

[ In Reply To ..]
sm - much appreciated & thank you! That method makes sense. :)

Wow! Why so complicated? - huh ?

[ In Reply To ..]
Your calculations are so complicated that I could not even check if your calculations are right and now you still do not post how much she can charge for 1 word editing.

My way:

A line of 65 characters has an average word count of 15. If she ask 4.5 cents for 1 line, for 1 word it would be

4.5 : 15 = 0.3 cents.

for 5 cents a line it would be 5:15 = 0.33 cents

and so on......

Sorry you didn't understand - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't trying to be complicated, just explaining the way I did it since I didn't know that the average 65 character line was 15 words, I just used one of my documents.

The answer to her question was 1/2 cent per word, it was in there.

Here's my 2 cents. I'd like 4 words, please. - Joker nm

[ In Reply To ..]
j

Bats in the Belfry - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
punctuation not included ;-)
4 good words indeed! - Joker nm
[ In Reply To ..]
j
Help - Lord
[ In Reply To ..]
Lord, help us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis.

Oh no, that's more than 4 words.

I am sure the advice was good, sound advice, and accurate, but please, save me. It's very late.

Similar Messages:

Sorry TTD, Inc - Your Editing (3cpl) Is 37% Of Your MT Rate (8 Cpl)
Oct 27, 2009

Even Focus pays 50%....even MQ pays 60%!! Come on!   ...

So Is Their Rate 8 For Typing And 4 For Editing?
Dec 11, 2012

nm ...

What Is The Typical Per Minute Rate For Editing As An IC? Nm
Jan 29, 2010

x ...

Flat Rate Cpl For Editing And Transcription?
May 17, 2012

Ladies and gents, I am hoping to find an employer that will pay a flat line rate for both editing of SR and transcription. Does anyone know of anyone that is doing that? This business of being paid 2 different line rates makes it impossible to forecast earnings and is causing a huge headache for me. I am thinking a flat in the 7 cpl to 8 cpl would be something I would consider. I cannot believe I am saying that - 10 years ago I was working in a great hospital job making 12 cpl. My, my, how ...

Hate To Ask This But What Is A Good Rate To Charge For VR Editing? Nm
Jul 14, 2013

Thanks! ...

What Is The Average Benefit Rate/PTO Rate? Friends I Talk To
Dec 05, 2012

Their way of figuring it is so convoluted.  I wonder if they keep us all low like that.  ...

Line Rate Pay Versus Audio Minute Rate Pay
Mar 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me if line rate pay is comparable to getting paid by the audio minute? Is 0.50 or 1.00 normal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

MQ Pays 1 Rate For 100% QA, A Lower Rate For Non 100%. How Do You
Oct 29, 2011

ty ...

Piece Rate/line Rate
Apr 19, 2012

Would someone please tell me what the "piece rate" is on the check stub - and where does it show line rate?  Thank you. ...

Anyone Editing VR At 800 Lph?
Feb 18, 2010

If you get 800 lph on VR, what platform to you use, what types of reports do you type?  ...

Can Anyone Tell Me About VR Editing
Feb 26, 2010

Can anyone tell me about VR editing, the pay seems quite low about 3 cpl.  How many lines can you do in an hour? I am a very fast typist, but unsure about VR and have a job interview for this.  Thanks for your help ...

Editing Pay
Jun 05, 2010

I understand that everything is going to the way of the editor and not typing, but when the editor keeps missing whole sentences or makes up words that sound nothing like the doctor is saying, how is one supposed to make any money?  I only get paid .04 per line to edit and I am spening more time trying to fix editing mistakes than I would if I just erase the text and type it out.  Very frustrating.  Thank God my husband has a good paying job, otherwise I would have to find another ...

Is All Editing With VR Really This Bad?
Oct 28, 2010

I work for a company that uses M*Modal for VR and all the reports have SO much editing.  There are complete words missing, words added that clearly aren't being dictated, at least 2 words on each line that have to be edited.  I'm doing so much more work for less pay than I was straight typing everything.  This is the only editing I've done so I don't know if this is normal for editing or if M*Modal just sucks!  My line counts suck, my pay sucks.  Any ...

RE TTS: I Have Seen Where They Pay 3 Cpl For Editing .... SM
Nov 08, 2010

and I know that they use Escription.  Does anybody know if they EVER will start someone out higher than 3 cpl?  I have 32 years of MT experience and about 3 years of editing experience.  Thanks for any comments. ...

Job Sent Without Editing
Feb 14, 2011

So, last week the system went down right as I was finishing up an extremely long job.  When it finally came back up, there was another glitch and before I could hit "recover", the job sent to the hospital as I originally got it with no editing whatsoever!  The hospital got in touch with Medquist EXTREMELY upset and in turn I got an e-mail wondering why that happened.  I feel like contacting this hospital myself and letting them know this THIS is what Medquist gives us to work ...

VR Editing Course?
Apr 15, 2012

Does anyone know of a good VR editing course?  I've been an MT for 26 years but it seems obvious that editing is in my near future.  Help! ...

Editing 4 Cpl
Feb 15, 2013

Is it even possible to make good money doing editing at 4 cpl?  How much could one expect to make per hour at such a low rate? ...

How To Do VR Editing
Apr 18, 2013

I'm a seasoned MT and would like to learn how to do VR editing.  Are there any companies that will hire and train?   ...

TTS - 3.3 Cpl For Editing?
Oct 17, 2013

Recruiter called me today.  3.3 cpl for editing? Next!!! ...

How Much Editing Is Really Being Done?
Nov 18, 2013

Obviously we know the whole 50% more productive thing was a lie, but has anyone ever done a study on how much editing needs to be done on average?  Just curious if any real numbers have ever been posted on this. ...

Will VR Never Need Editing?
Feb 17, 2014

Or will all editing be done in India in the future?  I see more and more MTs retiring early and/or finding work other than MT (Walmart, etc.) until they can retire.  What will happen when there are no more MTs?  Just a thought.  ...

Editing/VR
Feb 03, 2015

Just wondering if someone out there could explain to this transcriptionist who has never worked with VR how the line count is done? Getting ready to come to work for MModal in the near future and trying to figure everything out.  ...

EMR Editing
Mar 17, 2015

Any of you currently performing EMR editing?  What does it entail?  How's the pay and how does it compare to standard VR editing?  Thank you for your input. ...

Importing Bayscribe Word Expander Into Word 2010 Autocorrect
Jun 25, 2015

Is there a way to import or convert my Bayscribe word expander file (thousands of entries) into 2010 MS Word's autocorrect and/or dictionary?  Thank you. ...

Speech Editing.
Oct 15, 2009

My quality has gone down since the clinic that I work at started this.   We use Dictaphone Extext.  Anyway, I must be going too fast or something because I seem to miss things.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I have started reading over my reports myself now before sending them through and I asked my supe if they have improved.  She said yes, but I still am making mistakes and she will send me my reports back shortly.  The only thing else I know t ...

VR Editing With Escript
Nov 12, 2009

I am new to Escript, as well as VR editing.  I find it to be VERY time consuming and crappy pay at $0.04.  That being said, I am lucky to make $10 an hour, if that.  In addition, you have to be on your toes, as it seems like at least one word in a sentence is incorrect.   For example today, one report stated, "testis Cardiolite stress test."  On top of it, this was not an ESL dictator and he spoke very clearly.  It just seems like more work to have to ...

Any Companies Without VR Editing?
Nov 15, 2009

I have applied to multiple companies and taken multiple tests.  I have four job offers, which sounds great, but they are all mostly VR editing and I cannot stand it.  My hands feel lost without them typing :).  Any suggestions of any companies that do not have VR editing?  ...

Anyone Here Editing VR With Transcend?
Apr 21, 2010

And if so, how fast is it possible to get?  I'm struggling to get faster than 200 lines per hour.  I've only been editing for a couple of months, but I'm really wondering if it is possible to get much faster?  Advice please! ...

Focusing While Editing
May 05, 2010

I work with the eScription platform and I have no problem with editing - I really enjoy giving my fingers and wrists a break, but I have the worst time concentrating when I'm doing it, LOL.  I can fly through reports when I'm focused.  My line counts are great for an hour and then drop off...pick back up...then drop off again.  They would be consistent and really good if I could just keep my mind from wandering.  Any VR'ers have any tips and tricks for staying ...

Please Help, Question About Editing Sm
May 28, 2010

Can someone tell me if editing would be a pretty decent supplemental job?  I've never done editing and considering a position doing editing.  It sounds really good to me, not so much wear and tear on the hands and wrists.  What are good platforms?  What is an average cpl for the editing? Thanks for any info!!! ...