A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Speech editing. - Having problems.

Posted: Oct 15, 2009

My quality has gone down since the clinic that I work at started this.   We use Dictaphone Extext.  Anyway, I must be going too fast or something because I seem to miss things.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I have started reading over my reports myself now before sending them through and I asked my supe if they have improved.  She said yes, but I still am making mistakes and she will send me my reports back shortly.  The only thing else I know to do now is go over it with voice.  Does anyone have any tips on what to do?  TIA. 

Don't know if this tip will apply to you, but - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
being careful to break dictation up appropriately into paragraphs (so clinicians can actually find critically needed info!) requires me to keep paying close attention. It's a bit of a game to be able to accurately split to a new paragraph right at the point of dictation and not have to go back (Shoot, blew that one!).

Regarding mistakes you're still making, wait to see what they are. After all, no matter how good you are, on review other people will usually find what they consider mistakes because there's more than one correct style of punctuation. I'd like to go hug the relatively few reviewers who seem to understand and respect that. Any critical errors would be a very important indicator of how you're doing, of course.

Having Issues with VR - Love my VR

[ In Reply To ..]
What I think is going on is you are not focused enough on the work. I have seen words used, such as studied and maybe the word should be study, just something like that is easy to miss unless you are reading and understanding the context as you go. I have reports where VR is putting in once daily when the dictator is saying daily and I have to take the once out every time. This is because once daily is usually used. VR takes concentration, lots of it. I never rewind and read the work once I finish it. That to me just makes no sense as you are losing money. I do spell check and that is it and still keep my averages on QA very high. Pay more attention to what you are doing and things should work out better.

suggestions - still learning

[ In Reply To ..]
I had similar adjustment issues... what has helped me is to speed the voice up so I have to stay on my toes to keep up... (we use Dictaphone EX Speech too)... Why? Because your brain can process audio stimulus at about 3-4 times the rate of natural speech, and for me, I loose focus if the voice is slow, because my brain starts skipping tracks and multi-tasking inbetween words! Speeding it up forces me to use my whole brain to keep up, so I don't loose focus and get distracted as easily. My QA is about the same or maybe slightly higher since we upgraded to VR, and my production is definitely improving. Best Wishes!

help - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I use Dictaphone Extent. How do you speed up the voice? I've tried and have asked supe but have gotten no response. TIA

That sounds like a terrific technique, Still Learning! NM - MissIndigo

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Does AssistMed Do Speech Editing? Nm
Jun 07, 2010

nm ...

Speech Recognition Editing Course
Aug 01, 2010

I graduated in May from the MT program at a local two-year college and, naturally, it's nearly impossible to find a medical transcription job as a newbie. Since speech recognition seems to be the future, I was wondering if taking a speech recognition editing course would be a good investment of my time and money. AHDI, I know, is offering a speech recognition editing course. I've done a lot of copy editing in my previous clerical jobs. I've always been good at copy edit ...

Speech And Editing Errors
Dec 19, 2010

working as a coder, I read all the reports.  It always amazes me what goes through.  today I coded an MRI that had the indication "Left upper Germany tingling!"  It should have been left upper extremity.  This is the stuff that doesn't get caught when editing, and it goes into the patient chart.  Once some doc, who didn't bother to look at it, signs it, it can't be changed easliy.  In fact, it is a major issue to try to change something once the ...

CJ, Regarding The Speech And Editing Errors...
Dec 29, 2010

Maybe what you are seeing is already the result of many people like yourself who have already left the field for the same reason you did.  When you get the responsible, diligent workers leaving because the pay has been cut so drastically they can't afford to work anymore, the field becomes saturated with new or substandard workers.  If you're already seeing these errors a lot, imagine how much more there will be when more MTs leave.  Who will be left to do the editing th ...

Tricks To Faster Speech Recognition Editing?
Aug 14, 2011

I have been straight transcribing for many moons. Then got into doing QA and a lot of the reports I get are straight editing of speech recognition rather than doing QA. My production stinks when I do straight editing and have no idea how those of you that edit speech recognition all day make a living. Kudos to YOU! I am one of the probably few QA who really appreciates you MT's who make our jobs easier and do AMAZING jobs transcribing what I can't even QA. Thank you for your hard work ...

Keystrokes: Is It More Straight Transcribing Or More Speech Editing?
Jun 15, 2012

thanks! ...

Had QA Correct Me On Speech Therapy To Speech Therapy
Jun 03, 2013

The phrase is She will be evaluated by PT, OT and speech therapy, corrected to She will be evaluated by PT, OT and Speech Therapy.  I thought it was only capitalized in when followed by a proper name like Montana Central Hospital Speech Therapy.    Thanks.  ...

Speech Q
Aug 09, 2012

when you look at the reports you have in QUEUE and the status of the report says CONTEXT ADAPTATION ADMINISTRATOR, what does this mean, and why am I not getting paid for these reports??? ...

Speech Rec
Sep 05, 2012

Question--Has anyone tried beating them at their own game by purchasing their own speech rec system, installing it, and re-dictating what the dictators have said?  Has it worked for you?  Did you increase your productivity?  What system did you use?  Looking for info.  Thanks! ...

What Speech Rec Said
Nov 24, 2014

Speech Consult - Thanks Much!
Jan 20, 2010

1) is this the correct way to type the weighted score of 1+3 in this paragraph??  The weighted values for speech symptoms associated with velopharyngeal incompetence, (McWilliams and Phillips) were completed today.  Overall, he received a weighted score of 1 + 3, indicative of a competent-to-borderline competent velopharyngeal mechanism.     ...

Speech Q For Radiology? What's That? Nm
Mar 18, 2010

. ...

Speech Description
Aug 18, 2010

speech is slightly [s/l dysarsik] ...

What Is Exactly Is VR/speech Recognition?
Sep 14, 2010

Hello, I am a new MT and learned transcription from cassette tapes and Express Scribe. Can someone tell me what voice recognition is and how is it used in transcription?  ...

You Know, MQs Speech Wreck Is Bad Enough
Nov 01, 2010

we have dictators who compose sentences such as this: "A xx-year-old female accompanied by daughter in secondary to within the last week has run out of her amlodipine, Prozac and clonidine anywhere from 3-5 days ago each of these." I kid you not, that is what this doctor said.  American doc, speaking clear English.  Now tell me, what am I supposed to do with that?  It is a verbatim account, but the last time I let some gobbly gook like that go through I got chewed out for it (!) ...

Speech Impediments
Sep 14, 2011

This is a first for me.  The doc is NOT ESL.  But, it took me quite a while to figure out what she was saying when I heard, "The patient lickscrapitus in his knee."  Later on, I realized that she was has difficulty with pronouncing some A's and E's correctly.  So, the "lickscrapitus" was "lacks crepitus", which is also a rather odd way of making the statement, IMHO. Why don't the facilities/MTSOs notify the MTs when there is a doc on the account with certain s ...

Speech Recog With OO
Sep 13, 2011

I'm starting to do MT @ home and come from an office that used no speech recog. Only have OO and wondering what software is the best for speech recog that is compatible. Thanks! ...

Speech Wreckognition
Sep 14, 2011

Does anyone know of any company that does NOT use speech wreckognition.  I dont care what they say about once you are used to it you can do twice as much in the same amount of time.  I have NEVER found that to be true.  What I do find to be true is it takes me just as long, sometimes longer to clean up the mess it makes and I do it for half the pay.   Let me just say how much I DO NOT LOVE averaging about 4.00/hour cleaning up after speech wreckognition.  And yes, I ...

New To Webmedx And Speech Rec For That!
Nov 01, 2011

Ok very new to WBX and speech rec and not sure what to think!   How long did it take others to get accustomed to their platform and editing VR? I could transcribe at least 200+ lph at my previous job via straight transcription, but my highest since working here has only been 100 ughhhh! I'm so unsure of this!  Guess I'm looking for encouragement that it will get better and/or easier!!  Any tips?  I just downloaded the free trial of IT7 and am h ...

Speech Motion
Dec 19, 2011

Is anyone familiar with this software?  Thanks so much! ...

ExText Speech
May 24, 2012

Can anyone tell me where to find a copy of the shortcut keys for ExText.  I had no training on it outside of the basics and was never given any shortcuts keys/commands and I am sure there are a lot of things I could be doing better.  Any help is definitely appreciated. ...

Speech Motion VR
Jun 28, 2012

Is there anyone using the Speech Motion VR platform that can give some honest feedback - good and bad, and what kind of line counts to expect.  How long have you been on it?  Is there a considerable increase in productivity, turnaround?  Thank you.  MT's only please respond. ...

Looking For Job That Does Not Use Speech Wreck
Sep 29, 2012

I worked for Spheris for 4 years and it was great. Mmodal took over almost a year ago and changed everyone to speech wreck, took Outlook email away and put us on some horrible slow email system and now it takes at least 30 minutes of wait time to get the Help Desk on the phone. I am looking for a new position that is straight transcription. If anyone knows of one, PLEASE let me know!!!! Speech wreck has caused by paycheck to be cut in 1/3 at least. Thanks! ...

What Chart Net Is Like To Use As Far As Speech?
Oct 17, 2012

Can anyone tell me what Chart Net is like to use as far as speech?  I've been thinking of joining MM, but have no experience with Chart Net, and am a little concerned as they are only offering 4 cents a line on speech jobs!  I've also heard that it counts lines at 70 or 75 characters instead of 65 and am wondering if this is correct too?  Thanks. ...

Another Speech Wreck
Nov 03, 2012

As per usual, SR came up with a medical worde for a non-medical word and used it throughout a report.  Think about what might sound like "peanuts" and substitute that in sentences like "the patient was allergic to peanuts,"  "She ate some peanuts." ...

Ok, Which One Of You Trained The Speech Rec To Put
Dec 12, 2012

What on earth??? ...

All Work Going To Speech
Jan 04, 2013

I am hearing from some that by 2014 all medical transcription, maybe just the at home work is required by law to go to speech recognition?  Has anyone else heard this?  I figured it is just up to the individual companies to decide whether they choose for the work to be done straight or by speech recognition.  If this is so, all of us at home workers won't have a choice and if we want to do medical work we will be forced into speech.  ...

Speech Wreck 101
Aug 16, 2014

hypo in a tree mix = hyponatremic   I wish we could bombard the emails of the powers that be and show them the crap that comes out of their famous speech recognition :o) ...

This Is From Speech Therapy Consult
Oct 27, 2009

she is very easy to understand and likes using lots of "hard" words.  She keeps repeating this type of sentence - He showed difficulty when given a simple two-sentence scenario and asked questions s/l "per ren".  He appeared to have difficulties understanding simple, "who questions," s/l "per ren".    any help always much appreciated!  ...

Anyone Use Crescendo Platform? You Like? How Is The Speech?
Apr 08, 2010

I only have experience with Dictaphone EXText or EXEditor.  Is Crescendo MS Word based? Thanks in advance! ...