A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

does money buy happiness? No but it helps pay the bills! - very unhappy camper

Posted: Apr 18, 2012

Saw this on another blog, thought immediately of the implications as it relates to hardworking MTs and the repeated pay cuts we have taken in this industry. Read and weep!

www.livescience.com/19727-price-happiness-survey.html

ROFLMAO that the founder of - Home Instead Senior Care

[ In Reply To ..]
"commissioned" the study. That just takes the cake. The guy who is paying in the range of $7-$8 per hour for taking care of those in our society with wisdom to contribute to the younger generations commissions a survey on the correlation between money and happiness. There is no irony in that given he seems to be proud to offer below poverty level wages and at the same time "comissions a study" on money and happiness.

Similar Messages:

For Those Of You Who Don't Make Money At This, How Do You Pay Your Bills? Sm
Jan 21, 2011

Just wondering.  If you don't mind my asking...  I'm thinking about working from home again, but last time I did this I didn't make any money at it.  That was when I only had 2 years' experience though.  I have 6 now.  This time around I HAVE to make a certain amount to pay my bills!  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!       ...

I JUST WANT TO MAKE SOME MONEY I JUST WANT TO PAY MY BILLS, WHY IS THAT SO DIFFICULT?????
Mar 19, 2010

over 26 years of experience, i have three jobs and guess what?  NO WORK, NO WORK, NO WORK!!!!!  How does one meet their financial needs when you cannot make a living off of 3 JOBS????????  I am working vr on one of them and just started so I am not making diddly there.  So I have two part-times to supplement, but still NO WORK!!  I JUST WANT TO TYPE!!!!!  I JUST WANT TO PAY MY BILLS!!!!  Thanks for letting me vent!!!!!! ...

Nuance Happiness
Aug 18, 2011

We've all heard the rotten about Nuance, but can anyone say they are happy at Nuance and if so, share....Thanks in advance. ...

Company Happiness Anyone??
Mar 17, 2012

Is there anyone out there right now who is happy with their MTSO? I am a former transcriptionist and finding that I really miss it and want to get back into it. I have a previous 9-year history as an MT, but was having low and inconsistent workflow when I decided to leave. Is there anyone out there who can give positive references to their employer and willing to share? ...

Happiness Is Having No Make-up Pay.
Jan 06, 2015

Means I must have met the minimum required lph this last pay period. ...

Join Me For A Moment Of Happiness
Mar 05, 2013

Close your eyes and imagine what would happen if all American MTs went on strike and refused to do VR anymore, and the hospitals got the reports in their unedited glory. I'd say there'd be a panic in the hospital like this country hasn't seen since the stock market crashed in 1929.  ...

A Couple Word Helps
Dec 13, 2013

So here is the text I need help with. An IV is started, she’s monitored carefully, placed in the standard (s/l) left-lateralization*, monitored carefully, and receives excellent (s/l) considation* totaling 100 mcg of Sublimaze, 10 mg of Versed, 75 mg Demerol.   The "considation" one could also sound like "confidation" or "constidation" ...

Hand Cream Helps With Typing, For Me
Sep 04, 2010

Happened to put on some Jergens original scent (cherry almond, so retro) and was able to do a better job of typing.  Anything to increase our line counts, ay, fellow MT Goddesses?    ...

Thanks For All Of Your Sweet Comments, It Truly Helps To Commiserate With Y'all
Dec 28, 2011

Goodnight, God bless! Better days... ...

Hope This Post Helps With Job Search.
May 31, 2014

Go to Department of Labor, pick your state and narrow down by zip code how far you can drive. I know I live in central Alabama, and there were a lot of interesting jobs. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Give it a go, and you too may have some options you are qualified for. Happy job hunting and God Bless! ...

What Is The Pay Like At Amphion? Enough To Pay Your Bills?
Nov 22, 2010

nm ...

Headphones - Anything Decent That Helps With Sound Quality?
Aug 13, 2013

Some of these people are difficult enough to understand, though we've got a decent dictation/transcription system.   I was wondering if any of you have headsets that are noise-cancelling, or can do anything to improve the sound quality of what you hear? I would like a smaller style of headphones, like Lanier MP-555 style, with the small beads that fit in the ears on a light plastic headset -  if possible. Thanks. ...

Tired Of Being Lied To And Never Being Able To Pay Bills
Oct 26, 2011

So this last place I started working said "these are old accounts that are not going anywhere."  Hmm, so why did I get an email last night saying they were keeping all work inhouse?  I am so sick and tired of worrying about money.  The really sad part is I have already applied everywhere and no one will hire me (Wal-Mart, McDonald's).  Just so tired of it all.  I wish someone wrote a book and entitled it How to be Homeless because that is what I am going to be. ...

Lawyer Bills And IMEDX
Apr 01, 2015

The idea of class action lawsuits is to get their $500 an hour attorneys looking at mounds of info. You only get attention dipping your hand into their pockets, deep at that. They will take attention then. It is a very valid claim. ...

Acusis Pay Is So Depressing! After Paying Bills
Sep 22, 2011

Haven't You All Noticed How Our Health Care Bills Have Gone Down Since
Aug 05, 2011

cutting the throats of MTs.  LOL ...

Money
Mar 29, 2010

Call me greedy, but what can a new MT expect to earn the first couple of months? Based on having plenty of work and working around the clock. I am putting out at least 1100 lines a day for now.  What is considered a good line count? ...

BIG MONEY
Jul 28, 2010

Okay, so I signed on with Transcend because they said, "Do you want to be guaranteed $900 per pay period as full time?" Well, sure. That sure reeled me in. I had always been afraid they ran out of work. Now it turns out that you HAVE to earn $900 IN ORDER TO BE full time. Big difference! It's like saying, "If you win the Olympic gold medal, you'll be guaranteed a first-place finish!" Or, "If you win the election, you'll be guaranteed more votes than your opponent!" It's so ba ...

How Do I Get My Money?!
Nov 21, 2011

Ok, finally, the horrors have happened to me. All was well, but now I'm getting seriously pissed. I work 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. Those hours are mandatory. My pay is equalling less than minimum wage. I e-mailed the company asking them about having to pay me minimum wage given the mandatory hours. The only response I got was "I'll look into it." That was over a week ago. In addition, the platform we use that records our lines is not recording all my jobs! I write down all the job ...

If You're In It Just For The Money, Don't Become An MT
Sep 03, 2012

I've had the same line rate (9 cpl) for 5 years, and I notice the new accounts they offer MTs pay 7.5 or 8 cpl at most. I must admit, though that I do work for a great company (I've been with them 12 years); they offer lots of flexibility (no required shifts or hours, just a reasonable line quota), payment promptly by direct deposit twice a month like clockwork, an easy to use transcription platform and wonderful QA and support staff. I have a lot of job satisfaction, though for my yea ...

More Money
Sep 18, 2012

Do any MTs out there working for MM know how we can all get together and demand more money? they don't listen to us one at a time! ...

I Will Owe Them Money!
Mar 26, 2013

I guess my next check will be a negative amount, since last week I didn't even get 8 hours in and this week thus far, I have only gotten 2 hours in.  Somebody has to pay for my insurance and I am pretty sure they aren't going to cover it at the kindness of their heart.  Beyond frustrated!!! ...

WE WANT MORE MONEY!!!
Oct 01, 2014

I want to know when we are gettiing more money. Not interested in how exciting things are. I just need an email with the exact amount, NOW.  NOTHING ELSE. Don't want it tied into bonus because FIESA is manipulated to prevent bonuses. You did not hear us "loud and clear." WE WANT MORE MONEY. NOW. We don't want to hear about your studies or your excitement or new ways of exploring things in the usual vague Nuance-speak. Just send an email with the amount and the exact d ...

Where Did The Money Go
Jan 13, 2015

Deleted.   ...

Too Much Time Too Little Money
Mar 03, 2010

Is anyone else as sick and tired of the amount of time spent (not being compensated for) reading about all the fluff at MQ during the last 3 years!  I am so out of here.  It's just a matter of time.  Good Bye MT all together.  ...

Where Does The Extra Money Go?
Sep 27, 2010

I assume that the MT companies set up a contract with the client for them to pay on a per-line basis.  Of course, they charge more than they pay us; that's how they make their money & that's fine.  But what I'm wondering is... when we get a report that comes in as VR instead of straight typing, where does the extra money go, since we get paid less for VR.  I feel like I work just as hard, if not harder on VR than typing a report.  So why don't we make ...

Does Anybody Make Any Money At This? Sm
Jan 18, 2011

I've heard of more MTs NOT making any money than making money.  I've worked from home before but had to work full-time from home and part time at the hospital just to pay the bills then ended up quitting at home and went back to the hospital full time because I could make more money working from the hospital 40 hours than working 60 hours between the two.  I loved working from home but I couldn't make any money at it.  But at the time I only had 2 years' ...

The Q Must Be Making A Lot Of Money Off Me.
Feb 13, 2011

I calculated my hourly pay for this week. Mind you, I gave it all my effort every day this week. Drum roll..... I made $6 per hour. Because we have to be paid at least minimum wage, I get paid $8 per hour. My accounts are 99% ASR. I have been getting paid minimum wage for sometime now. If they weren't making plenty of money off me, they would have let me go some time ago. ...

Money Question
Jul 13, 2011

The physician dictates:  He has had to declare bankruptcy after being several tens of thousands of dollars in debt.  That is how I typed it anyway but I am not sure if that is correct.  Please help! ...

For Those Making Little Money (or Who've Had A Big Cut In Pay) - Sm
Feb 23, 2012

Day after day, I read comments here about people making less than minimum wage... or women who used to make a solid middle class living at this who now cry when they look at their W2... or who made in 2011 what they made in 1993. I'm curious to know why you continue to put up with this.  What is holding you back from seeking a better situation?  What are your circumstances?  Do you have low self-esteem?  Trapped in Appalachia with 2 hours to the closest hospital?  ...