A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Before leaving Nuance think of this... - Not unhappy

Posted: Jan 29, 2013

I know some peoplea are going to slam me but so be it.   I just ask those talking about leaving to consider the following while making your decision: 

1.  Will the next employer guarantee you won't run out of work or pay you for downtime if you do?

2.  Do they give you 401(k) matching at the same level Nuance does or better?

3.  Do they pay you the average hourly wage you make for vacation/sick days or do they limiit your dollar amount, even if you normally earn more than that?  Do they offer the same amount of days off per year paid?

4.  Do they pay differential for working evenings/nights?

5.  Do they offer the opportunity to get a bonus for having QA at 99% or higher?

6.  Is the cost of their insurance and coverage better or the same? (I have friends with other companies who pay more for insurance and the coverage is the same or worse). 

Overall I'm content with Nuance and have compared their terms with other companies/few hospitals that hire directly.  Yes I wish the line rates were higher but it's competition that has driving the pricing down.  The going rate with clients is between 12-14 cpl for transcribed lines and 6-8 cpl for editing lines.  Do the math - they can't pay us the rates we used to get when the competition has driven the pricing down for what companies receive.  Don't believe me?  Check into it.  Call hospitals and ask them what they pay their vendors.  Check with AHIMA members - that's where the directors hang out and talk about these things.  

Oy vey - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not bashing but your post was a thinly veiled recruiting post.

You are right in that not everything at Nuance is horrific but there is just enough wrong to make it worth moving on.

Are other MTSOs any better? Nope, but the aren't any worse either. I work for both MM and Nuance and in the end it is a wash of which is the best/worst.

The fact is we should all really be leaving the industry period. There is no point in moving from MTSO to MTSO as they are essentially all the same.

Best piece of advice is not to stay with Nuance because they are "the lesser of the evils" but to just plain get out of the entire quagmire the MT industry has become.

Lesser of two evils . . . - H

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to correct you on that one. As an MModal employee, I was just told by mgmt that anyone who works there now has to change his/her schedule to evenings because there is no longer any morning/early afternoon work in the company.

Ever since the holidays, I've sat here day after day, signing in at 0800 and literally sat at my desk for nearly 12 hours trying to get 6 hours in. I work in 15-20 minute increments and then I run out. I'm basically on call.

Yes, they both suck, but at least Nuance has something for you guys to type.

Sorry, but the fact is no work is a huge problem at Nuance as well. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
That is why I took a second job.

I work the 2nd/3rd shift at MModal and having everyone move to that shift won't be helpful, as I run out of work there as well.

I think lack of work is an industry wide problem for US MTs, most of our work is going to India.

Don't forget EPIC system - informed
[ In Reply To ..]
In addition to work going to India with all the MTSO...many hospitals are moving to EPIC EMR with a more automated form of record keeping and that is also cutting way down on work available....I basically have no work a lot of the time and I know for a fact on some of my accounts it is because of EPIC...add that to the "follow the sun" process and we are BASICALLY SH#$ OUT OF LUCK

I work for MModal and I have no idea what you are - talking about with regards to

[ In Reply To ..]
everyone who works there having to change their schedule to evening hours. Thats ridiculous. They employ over 5,000 MTs and no way would there be enough work for everyone if every MT in the company had to work the same hours, which is what you are implying when you say we ALL have to change our hours to evenings. This site is full of rumors indeed because that makes no logical sense whatsoever.

I work 9am to 5:30pm, sometimes 10am to 6pm and I dont have a problem getting work. One of my close friends works 6am to 2:30pm and she does'nt complain either and we talk regularly. Of course it was slow here recently up until about two weeks ago, but thats usually what the holiday season is like in this industry.

Im interested in who told you EVERYBODY had to change their hours to evenings? Really? Think about it for a minute and ask yourself how much sense that makes? How in the world are they going to schedule over 5,000 MTs for the same shift? Never heard of that one.

Before leaving Nuance -- lol - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Your post is funny.

I just have to add.

Before leaving Nuance ask yourself this:

Do you like being treated like crap?

Do you like not being able to make bonus because they give you 6 accounts with different specs within specs and there is no way to make bonus?

Do you like having insurance so expensive you cannot afford it?

Do you like the fact that your job has become a joke, that a cashier at a grocery store will be hired in your place?

Yeah, if you like all that then Nuance is a great place to work.

Oh, snap! Lol - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Wanted to add my experiences - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you like a QA person in India changing your correct words to incorrect and dinging you for a Major or Critical error?

Do you like a Post-Audit where they change the above errors back to what you had and ding you again for another Major or Critical error?

Do you like the phone calls from your boss that you don't measure up due to the above two statements?

Do you like yearly pay cuts?

Have you read the thread on here about - possible corruption SM

[ In Reply To ..]
with uploading incorrect final version of report causing MTs to question when QC or QA points out errors you know you did not make? Check it out.

leaving Nuance - frustrated MT

[ In Reply To ..]
In addition, do you like the fact that the incentive is almost impossible to achieve with or without 6 accounts?

My response - to the above

[ In Reply To ..]
1. Will the next employer guarantee work or else pay downtime?--On multiple accounts at Nuance I run out of work an average of between 3-15 times per week. I am not paid downtime. Well, I can earn 15 minutes of downtime each time, but that tanks my lph.
2. 401(k): Who gives a fig?--I can't make ends meet on what I have with NOTHING deducted from my check. There's no extra to put away, and before anyone starts--yes, I live frugally.
3. There's no money for vacation anyway and, again: What with the constant OOW, the WILDLY varying QC standards, and the daily account hopping, there's no "making more than" to discuss here.
4. Yes, most MTSOs offer a shift differential. But who said anything about staying with MTSOs?
5. Again, yes, they do. Too bad at Nuance that 99% QA or higher (and actually, it's 99.4% now) is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN because neurotic obsessives run riot in QC are going to pick the moment an MT approaches it as their golden opportunity to debate the merits and applications of semicolons.
6. See #2 and others related to taking money out of what is already a minimum wage check.

As to your last point, spare me the "don't believe me?" cuteness; no one doubts that increased consolidation of MTSOs combined with offshoring has allowed them all to race each other to the bottom. That isn't up for debate. What's debatable is how long U.S. MTs will permit them to keep taking us with them.

Re: point #5: I think the QAs must get the Bonus, for - running interference with us getting it. n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

so make a change!! - comt74

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you know there is currently talk at both state and federals levels to implement new Acts or amend current ones to stop offshoring? Did you know that most Americans don't know their personal medical information is being sent overseas and my guess is they would want to know! Did you know that there was a bill they were trying to pass that all medical facilities have to notify their patients' in writing that their records may be sent out of the country for admin reasons? Call your local newspaper, contact all state elected officials. Write a letter and copy and paste it in the email and send it to these people twice a week to see if we can change this!! GET THE WORD OUT!! Coming on here and moaning and groaning about how one company treats you does not change anything and doing so does not show medical transcriptionists in a good light Oh and that company does not care!!!

Ohmigosh thank u so much so educational I had no idea - I have seen the light!!!

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you know people can vent AND take action? True story! People can do two things at once.

Well. Most of us can. :D
negativity gets you nowhere - comt74
[ In Reply To ..]
You don't have to like what I said, I really don't care. I can see why you posted your comment with no name. Just don't come on here and complain about everything without trying to make a difference.

I left already - ex-Nuance MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It is important to consider the things you noted above, but there are also other things to consider as well, like flexibility (Nuance offers none), quality of accounts (I had the worst of the worst dictators at Nuance), QA (which everyone knows is ridiculous at Nuance), and the fact that Nuance just basically does not care one iota about their MTs. The last reason was the one that really caused me to leave.

Anyway, I am working as an IC now. I don't have all the benefits that I had at Nuance, but I couldn't afford their benefits anyway. I didn't get to use my PTO for vacations because I had to use it all up when there was no work available. I couldn't afford to contribute to a 401K because I was making less than half of what I made prior to my company being acquired by Nuance and constantly running out of work. Now I work Monday through Friday with a 24-hour TAT and get paid 11 cpl for all straight transcription. I do have to pay my own taxes out of that, but all in all it adds up to much more than 4.5 cpl for editing at Nuance. I am happy that I left, but to each his own.

Ex-nuance - recentlyoutsourced

[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, left Nuance without as much as a notice or "THANK YOU VERY MUCH." I am working in a clinic making $17 an hour with AWESOME bennies. There are jobs still out there. Sure, I'm not working from home anymore but my kids are all grown now and I love getting out of the house to go to work now. Been working from home for over 14 years (doing MT for 17 years). Nuance acquired our hospital and now that quality has gone down the tubes (they are now sending ALL stuff from our hospital to India). They lied (said I would keep on the hospital account I had when they acquired us and would grandfather my PTO). The QA is RIDICULOUS. SO LONG NUANCE!

For everyone reading this, there ARE better - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
places to work. Yes, I always have work and am guaranteed (not at Nuance, no sir). No 401K, but I didn't make enough to contribute anyway at Nuance. No vacation days, but I can afford to take days off when I make more than minimum wage, so who cares? Yes, bonus at 98% or higher, yes, 98%, that's right.

There is a better place and another world beyond this Nuance nightmare. Keep looking.

When have they ever guaranteed work or paid for downtime? - genuinely curious

[ In Reply To ..]
That was my #1 reason for leaving; always running out of work and no paid downtime. So, either you're lying about that benefit or you're getting a benefit that most of us aren't getting somehow.

The answer is "Yes" to all of those if you get a - real job, OUT of medical transcription! - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]

Get a second job - CatLady

[ In Reply To ..]
I like the work I do for Nuance. There is no way I could afford the health insurance though, and you can't either if you have a family (unless you're the CEO). Sure the PTO and the 401K are nice, but there just is not enough work. I had to take a second job to fill in the holes. It's the only way I could afford to stay with the company. I even bought a second computer to try and get more accounts from Nuance, but I didn't buy the right software with it (Microsoft Office for home and business) and I can't afford to buy the software after purchasing the computer. I sure hope things pick up soon.

Similar Messages:

PTO Balance - After Leaving Nuance
Aug 03, 2012

To those who have recently left Nuance, how long after receiving your last check do you get paid for you PTO balance?  Or do you not get that $$? I'm trying to be patient as I received my last check last pay period and it did not include any $$ for my PTO balance. Thanks! ...

Thinking Of Leaving TT For Nuance
Jul 15, 2011

Would that be a bad move?  At least if I went to Nuance, I wouldn't have to worry about being bought out!  I have worked for TT for three years.  I used to love it there.  So much work and the overtime bonus was awesome.  I work second shift and have for the entire three years and it's really getting to me.  Some days I have only 4 or 5 hours of work, which was never a problem until lately.  My paychecks are shrinking every month.  The rumors goi ...

Nuance And Leaving The Company
Jul 19, 2012

I am looking to soon leave Nuance and was wondering if they were going to try and convince me to stay when I give notice. Thanks ...

Former WebmedX CEO Leaving Nuance
Mar 18, 2013

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130313005208/en ...

Nuance Team Leads Leaving
Jun 04, 2013

Anybody heard this?  3 TLs left abruptly?  ...

Leaving Nuance Is The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me.
Aug 08, 2013

Somebody fry these bas****s! Document EVERYTHING! Someone posted about how to save the voice files. Also save your completed document into a Word document so it can be proved that the document was created on a certain date and never modified. Print copies of all correspondence for anything that isn't just a mundane question. Take screen shots or whatever you need to do of FIEFSA or anything else. Challenge all errors. Document dates and times you run out of work. Document it all. Find w ...

Leaving Nuance, Have Computer Question...
Dec 01, 2014

I hope I have posted this on the correct board. As I do not have a good feeling whatsoever about this new pay plan at Nuance, I am preparing to leave this nasty company after the first of the year​ and am trying to get everything in order. The first order of business is to buy a new computer. I believe new computers come with Windows 8. Does anyone know if that is compatible with most transcription needs today, or does one have to have Windows 7 installed? If so, is that commercially availab ...

QC Leaving?? Leaving More Work For MTs?
Jun 14, 2015

Sorry QC was put on the grid and suffering losses (like we have), but from my point of view the more of them leave, the more work left for us.  Isn't that horrible we are reduced to feeling that way about our co-workers??? Some QC say they are not allowed to do MT unless the account is behind, some say they are allowed when they run out of work.   From the length of time we have been suffering from OOW I have to believe they can and do jump in on our work when out of QC ...

Leaving MQ
Mar 14, 2010

Can someone please tell me how long it takes to get 401K after leaving MQ.  I have had it.  I believe the dictators I am getting were hand picked for me, I can barely make minimum wage.   I know this has been asked before, but please answer. ...

Leaving MQ?
Jun 14, 2010

I've been sending out resumes almost daily for close to 8 months now.  I've also been on at least 20 interviews but once they actually realize I've been working at home for almost 20 years, I don't get any job offers because they "want office experience."   I've been so depressed with so many medical offices turning up their noses at me because I've been working from home.  I'm quite sure I probably know termin ...

Leaving WMX ? Re Last Pay
Sep 21, 2010

I am leaving WMX and wondered if they hold last pay until they receive their equipment back? Anybody in this position? Thanks! ...

Leaving The Q.
Jul 20, 2011

Just wanted to add my voice to the growing chorus of long-timers leaving the Q finally. The account I worked on for 15 years just up and vanished Monday - without a word to any of us. I applied for, and got, a job offer within minutes of sending my resume. I know MQ has beaten us all down over the years, but there are actually other companies and people who appreciate our abilities and stamina to say with such a company for so many years in spite of it all :) ...

Not Sad To Be Leaving The Q,
Sep 10, 2011

I've been cleaning out my office to start a new job soon, and I came across some things from the good old days, i.e., before the Q.  I found email certificates my first CCM from 10 years ago sent when I kicked it line count and quality-wise.  She didn't have to do that, but back then, we got respect as much as we gave it (I was HS back then).  I also found some old pay stubs from when I was a tier 1 and just getting into the routine.  I now make 1/6 of what I did wh ...

What I've Seen Since Leaving MT
May 01, 2012

I recently left the MT field but am in a position where I have to review medical records daily. I've come across mistakes that make me question where they came from... was it a VR report that an editor didn't catch... was it a transcription error... or was it a doctor error. Some of the things I've come across were a statement along the lines of "would've healing well"... I figure this was supposed to be something like "wound is" healing well. I came across a discrepancy ...

To Those Leaving MT
Sep 13, 2012

Curious, as to those getting out of MT, where are you going? I am soooo dissatisfied with this profession today. My wages are half what they were hourly only 4 years ago (VR for me is not profitable). The account specs get more and more complicated and you have to work on at least 5 or 6 accounts to keep work. Add in the hard to understand accents (I mean can't even understand the dictator's name half the time) and the left off demographics, and it is a recipe for low, low wages. I liv ...

I'm Leaving
Sep 20, 2012

Since ASR and off-shoring came along I have been wanting to leave the industry and after 5 years of procrastinating I finally took the plunge.  I have been applying and interviewing and after turning down two offers from different companies I finally accepted a position a couple days ago as a nurse aide with 1/2 hr lunch which food is provided, two 10 minute breaks, every other weekend off, every other holiday off (time and a half pay when I do work holidays), $.30/hr extra weekend pay, 4% ...

Leaving MT! Got Another Job!
Oct 26, 2012

I just got a job working for a Medical Records company.  I will be attaching scanned medical records into the EMR.  I am so thrilled I won't have to sit at my computer waiting all day for work to come in to make little money.  For those of you that are looking to get out of MT, it can be done.  Don't give up. ...

So Now Leaving A Mg Off A Med
Dec 27, 2014

That just seems weird. I get if it's supposed to be mcg and you put mg, something doctors often do in their dictation, but leaving off the mg, 3.0? They are really digging deep into every document to find the means to which to cut our pay. I could never do QA/QC with this company, too nasty. We are perpetual victims, but they have become the freaking Spanish Inquisition. Honestly. ...

Leaving, Not Sure Where But Cannot Take It Any More
Mar 08, 2015

Left this company once before, to another company that was worse, if you can believe that and I will say their name Pre____. You should get it figured out. What has happened with this switchover from Enterprise 5 to Editscript 11 is beyond belief. I'm the one who cannot pend reports, have reached out to everyone and anyone I can think of including IT solution center multiple multiple multiple times and this is falling on deaf ears. My TSM tells me to work on the Editscript account full we ...

To Those Leaving The MT Field
Mar 01, 2010

How long do you think MT'ing will be around?   I'm going back to school to become a social worker, something i've always wanted to do, and need the income while i'm in school.  In fact, today was my first day.  Its an online course and it will take some adjusting, but I feel its time.  I'm following a dream, MT'ing was supposed to be temporary but it is such a cushy job, who would want to leave it?   I think the problem is, there ...

Thinking About Leaving MT, But...
Mar 02, 2010

I am not sure what jobs to apply for as I have only worked as a medical transcriptionist for over 10 years.  I guess I am wondering if my skills as an MT only would make me more hireable in any other medical profession, or is it just looking at Walmart for me now, lol  TIA for any advice. ...

Leaving MQ 2 W/o Notice What Can They Do?
Mar 21, 2010

Does anyone know if MQ can take some of your check that is due to arrive, already approved, if we suddenly just quit and leave?  What can they do if we don't give a 15-30 day notice?????  How soon do they want their old computer back?  Any information about leaving without notice is really appreciated!!!!  ...

Question For The 50-ish And Up Leaving MT
Apr 06, 2010

I'm curious.  To those of you who are choosing not to go back to school for other training--my reason is I only have 7 years until retirement--and want to get the heck out of MT, what have you decided to do instead?  Any and all ideas welcome, unless it involves adding and subtracting or building bridges or tunnels. ...

Guess I Am Not Leaving
Jun 25, 2010

Got an E-mail (isn't that personal, but better than nothing, I guess) that my old hospital has decided not to fill the position "at this time," but will keep my resume for future reference.  New clothes, pedicure, and a lot of stress for nothing.  So my MQ job is looking a lot better today. . .  Maybe next time.  ...

Thinking Of Leaving TT....
Sep 28, 2010

I like TT for the most part but I am not making enough money to pay my bills.  Their VR pay is so low so I am thinking of going somewhere else.  But isn't VR pay low everywhere?  I hate to go somewhere else and it's worse.  Their insurance is horrible too.  My providers in my area are on their network so I am basically paying for nothing. ...

Leaving MT For Walmart?
Dec 13, 2010

I have way too much time on my hands today so I thought I would ask this question.  Has anyone left the MT profession and went to work at Walmart, a pharmacy, drug store, or any other store?  Will they hire us since we have been an MT for 10+ years?  What about factory jobs, you know the light duty assembly kind?  Have any of you had any luck getting hired in anything other than as an MT without going back to school? ...

For Those Of You Thinking Of Leaving
Mar 04, 2012

If you put your supervisor down as a reference, it's "against company policy" for them to answer any questions about you.  All those times you went the extra mile for this place were for nothing. ...

Leaving For New Job - How Much Notice?
Jun 21, 2012

Well, I am officially hired for a great new position - elsewhere of course - a partly in-house/and partly work from home place that seems to actually still be paying a decent wage to their transcriptionists.  Anyway, it all came about kind of suddenly and they need someone immediately, but not sure about how much notice to give to the service.  Any thoughts?  ...

Leaving Transcription
Jul 30, 2012

I have the chance to take a job doing social work for the county in which I live.  I will be taking a pay cut that I can't really afford and I'm scared to death there will be budget cuts (as is happening in all government agencies), but there is also the chance there won't be cuts to this department and there will be chances for advancement, which I'm not seeing in transcription any longer.  How have you that have left gotten the strength to take the leap into the new and u ...

Advice About Leaving
Nov 16, 2012

I do not want to continue working here. I do not even want to sign in today.  Can't say why b/c I do not want my identity given away.  But I just was put in CA and do not want to sign in anymore. I just  give up.  I will not put this job on my resume. Will there be any repercussions... I just give up. :(. Thanks for the advice. Please no flaming. I have had enough flaming and threats at this job to last a lifetime. :(. ...