A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anybody seen a raise in pay over the past 3 years? - Wondering

Posted: Jan 03, 2012

Has anyone gotten any raises in pay over the past 3 years?  I know in these mean, tough times gratitude for having a job is important, but my thankfulness doesn't stop me from knowing that I have not had any increase in my pay since I started more than 2 years ago with the company I work for.  I am curious if any transcriptionist who has been steadily working for the same place for the past 2-3-4 years has seen a pay raise.  I am  frustrated with rising prices and stagnant pay and would love to hear from anyone about this--it would help me get a perspective on the real world situation of other transcriptionists and keep my frustration from getting the better and best of me.   

pay raise - my last one

[ In Reply To ..]
My last raise was in 1992 when I worked for a company that no longer exists. I have been doing this for 37 years and pay raises for MTs means working harder and making more lines. No cost of living increase either. That is the nature of this profession.

Oops I did get one with MQ because a few of my fellow employees and I could prove they were screwing with our line counts back in 2000 and we called them on it and they gave us all a 3 cpl increase to keep our mouth shut. But then that is the norm for MQ now to screw with everything so that does not work with them anymore.

Even in the 1990s when I asked about cost of living increase I was laughed out of the room, but then we were able to transcribe 3000 lines a day on a 55 character line and had great incentives and pay raises.

Is anyone in any profession getting a raise?

Raises, or lack thereof - anonmetoo

[ In Reply To ..]
Been working for the same MTSO for over 10 years. Have not had a raise in 6 years. Last time I asked, was told they weren't giving out raises anymore.

I have not had a raise in 15 years. What's a raise? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Wouldn't know what the word means!

Last raise was in 2000 - before MQ took over my company

[ In Reply To ..]
oops, MQ did give a 0.05 cpl raise a little bit ago when they took away my incentive pay, but took it back 6 months later when the "leveled the playing field."

I have had pay decreases though, because of ASR! I think 3 total.

question for last raise in 2000 - who

[ In Reply To ..]
Who were you working for when MQ took over in 2000? That is when MQ took over my company, out of San Diego.

your answer - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for Transcriptions, Ltd.

Raises? (choking on my Cheerios here- LOL) - Shirley U. Jest -

[ In Reply To ..]
HAHA

Pay raise - DiggerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been working for my current company for over 3 years.. no raise. Been working as MT for 10 years.. never a raise. Stinks for sure.

Wondering - DJP

[ In Reply To ..]
Not only have I not had a raise, I was actually lowered half a cent. All of us at the company were. We also had our insurance taken away with very little notice. I think the chance of getting a raise is nonexistent.

At my one-year anniversay, I got a half-cent per line raise - and I was surprised - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't even have to ask! She said they do that automatically. They also pay another half-cent per line for rushes...Am coming up on my second year in May, crossing my fingers :)

man.. I am coming up on 14 years next week - no raise in 11 years

[ In Reply To ..]
Got a raise every year for the first 4 years, a penny each year. Then... NOTHING FOR 11 YEARS.

No raise in over 5 years. Just yearly pay cuts. - (nm)- Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]

Pay raise - Fatigued Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
Yep, I got one last month.

Similar Messages:

Have Not Had A Raise In 5 Years.
Jul 25, 2011

I am tier III and I still am not at top pay. Today I asked my CCM for a raise and she said she will put in the paperwork. Why do I feel I still will be denied even though I have met all the requirements. More than likely I will be denied because they do not want any MT to make above minimum wage. Also I really feel bad for the MTs who had their pay cut. That is just not right. I notice when I ask why the pay cut the answer is always to level the playing field and to make it fair to the other MT ...

No Raise In 11 Years
Oct 06, 2011

I am an independent contractor with 30 plus years experience, and have worked for the same hospital for 11 years, still at the same rate as when I started.  At the time it was a good rate, now not so much--outside typing service does the overflow easy stuff , we IC's are left with the ESL's, static and more difficult reports.  Know things have changed dramatically in just 11 years.  Also know the onsite transcriptionists (employees)  get a 4% raise most years.  ...

Is It Reasonable To Expect A Raise After 4 Years?
Sep 13, 2011

I have worked for the same service for over 4 years.  I am an IC MT.  I feel I deserve an increase.  I asked for one at the end of my first year and was told the economy was bad....blah, blah.  Ok, I understood that but now I feel I have earned an increase.  Yes, I realize that many feel an IC should just inform the service of their increase.  I know that would not fly with this service.  They could care less if you work for them or not.  Theyhave a "we wi ...

In The Past 20 Years I've Been In This Business, I Have Lost
Sep 02, 2012

a total of four jobs due to offshoring, worked for peanuts for a number of different nationals, and finally decided to get out of the business all together and at the beginning of this summer after my last lay off, I took a job at a local doctor's office basically as a receptionist/scheduler/transcriptionist.  I get acclimated to the job, like everyone I work with, and start feeling really comfortable and then last week, a woman shows up for an appt with one of the senior doctors/partn ...

I Am Not A Newbee, But I Have Done Pretty Much Only Ops For The Past 30 Years And I Need Help. Sm
Mar 22, 2014

I was doing a summary this morning and the dosage was q.4h p.r.n. Now, is that correct of is it q. 4h p.r.n. Is it 1 tablet p.o. b.i.d. ?? I'm so out of it with this stuff that it's making me paranoid and I can't find it in my book of style.  Thanks in advance and please excuse my old age blip.. ...

MTStars Has Changed In The Past Few Years...sm
May 09, 2014

I haven't been on this board in many years since I stopped working from home. I just logged on for the first time this week after a long absence, and it really has changed. It used to be that the regular posters used consistent nicknames for all their posts. That was nice because you got to know who was who, who was good for word help, etc. Now it seems almost no one at all uses a nickname and not only is it less personal but it contributes to the confusion in long threads. Nobody knows wh ...

Thought I Had Seen It/heard It/experienced It All In The Past 30 Years
Sep 02, 2012

I work in-house, got the news a week ago that the hospital has hired an outside company to take over the transcription, which will save the hospital millions of dollars.  We have the option of going with the other company or simply going home; in other words, take it or leave it.  Needless to say, the outsourced company's benefits are not as good in comparison to the hospital's, much more expensive and also this will be strictly voice recognition.&nbs ...

Voice Recognition - Power Scribe Several Times In The Past 4 Years
Oct 18, 2010

Have tried Power Scribe several times in the past 4 years.  I am curious why and how anyone can stand not being able to use their foot pedal and keyboard in the normal way.  Case in point is if the dictation is not clear, you cannot back up a few words.  Instead, you have to go all the way to the beginning again.  Need some insight here.   ...

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...

How Much Raise?
Mar 15, 2010

Since I haven't gotten a letter yet, I presume I don't qualify.  I'm just curious, though, how big  a raise am I missing out on? ...

When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Raise?
Nov 27, 2010

I am a newbie who has had a job for 3 months now. I really like the company I am working for, and I love the account I am on. Problem is, there is not very much work, the work I do get is not consistent, and I am not getting paid very much either. I have requested more work in the past and was told I would get some then didn't, then given another account for a few days and haven't had it since. I think I was just getting overflow that day. I am grateful that I have  ...

Regarding Asking For A Raise...
Jan 02, 2012

So I've been working for a fantastic transciption company for over a year now.  My turnaround times are always excellent (they acknowledge this to us in weekly emails), and I haven't had any complaints about my work.  I'm a certified MT with four years experience, and I'm thinking about asking for a raise.  They hired me at $0.08 per line.  What should I ask for?  And is it okay to ask after 15 months?  I know all they can say is no, but I'v ...

We Can't Get A Raise
Mar 24, 2012

We WELCOME another new SUIT! This is the Senior Vice President of Something, reporting to the Senior Senior Vice President of Something, not to be confused with the Ultra Senior Vice President or the Super Duper Vice President reporting to the Diamond or Platinum Senior Vice President. CUT THE CORPORATE BLOAT AND PAY US MORE!!! ...

How Do You Go About Asking For A Pay Raise
Jun 27, 2012

How do you go about asking for a raise and who do you ask?  thanks ...

How Much Raise To Ask For?
Dec 02, 2012

After being with my company for a year, I would like to ask for a raise (haha). How much would you ask for and hopefully receive? 1/4 cent? 1/2 cent? A full cent? I think I do excellent work. I monitor the accounts even on the weekends and jump on when it's getting close to being out of turnaround, unasked. My supervisor does not have to worry about these accounts as I have proven time and again that I am "on it". Taking some stress away from her deems to be a legitimate reason ...

Some Of Us Are Getting A Raise With Changes
Dec 12, 2012

I work on a platform that pays only 8/4 and it's acute care.  I also work night shift.  I'll now get acute care pay and shift differential so I'm happy with the changes.  Not everyone is unhappy here! ...

I Got A Raise
Feb 03, 2013

from my new job.  I quit medquist/mmodal a year ago ...

Anyone Ever Get A Raise?
Jun 16, 2014

The last time I had an increase in pay was over 8 years ago.  I am an IC.  I have asked several times and was told no.  I haven't asked again in years.  It's frustrating and depressing.  Am I alone? ...

To The 35% Who Think They're Getting A 13% Raise.
Dec 18, 2014

Could it be that the "13% increase" equals the amount of the quarterly bonus you were receiving? That's what mine equals out to be. I'm in that 35% and I am not getting a raise when I figure in the weekly and quarterly bonuses I previously received. I am sure some are getting an increase, but I would bet it's more likely to be 5% or less. For the definition of "grubered," please search the political board, where it says something about grubered meaning a "useful idiot"... ...

FFT 7.6 Needs To Come With A Raise.
Jan 19, 2015

Dear MModal, These cumbersome features are going to slow us down. There's no way around it.  Age and gender checks for example.  So when the dictator mentions the patient's wife and says "she," I'm going to get an alert for each of those because the patient is a male. The extra keystrokes, shift+alt, multiple times for multiple jobs.  It all slows us down, and then you will complain about the backlog, and we are complaining about our dwindling paychecks.  Talk ...

Anyone Have Any Advice On How To Get A Raise
Jan 28, 2010

from MQ.  I haven't had a raise in 5 years, am a tier 3 and only make 0.775/line.  I get the worst of the worst and would like a raise.  I asked for one a few years ago but was denied because of too many QA marker submissions - and I don't think my submission rate has improved at all because of the garbage I get.  Any suggestions besides finding another job?  Thanks for any help. ...

WooHoo, A Raise,
Mar 15, 2010

Now I can buy new and improved ramen noodles.  Guess I should have given up sarcasm for lent. ...

Raise Your Hand If....
Mar 15, 2010

.... you were not trained thru an MT school but had equivalent medical studies schooling/background/hospital work... and managed to market yourself or simply applied to jobs and found yourself a start as an MT (in otherwords, without going thru any special "MT course" or certification since you had already gone thru university level courses in which you learned the same required medical subjects).If this is you, please tell me your story. ...

Merit Raise
Apr 06, 2010

What does that message from CEO on MQ Central mean?  Is he taking back the gazillionth of a cent per line he told us we were getting 2 weeks ago? ...

Some People Just Got A Raise!
Dec 30, 2010

If you live in Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Ohio, Oregon, Vermont and Washington, minimum wage is going up so you will get a raise!!!  Hey if we didn't laugh . . . . well it is better to laugh, that's all I got to say.  MedQuist US MT's are still the top of the line! ...

ANYBODY GET THAT BIG HOURLY RAISE
Oct 27, 2011

Hey yall get that big hourly raise... ...

TWIMC I Need A Raise
Apr 29, 2012

To my future employer: Now that I've answered your questions, please answer mine: 1.  Who decided on 8 CPL and 4 CPL?  The company must have discovered by now that I am not 50% more productive, and the job I applied for in 1998 offered 8 CPL. 2.  If my rent goes up, my insurance premiums go up, my water bill goes up, why isn't my pay going up?   ...

Raise Inquiry
Jan 10, 2013

So I'm farily new-ish to MM and MT in general. MM hired me as a complete newbie about 9 months ago, and I accepted the rates they gave me (0.04 VR and 0.05 TR) because I was desparate for a job. Based soley on my memory, the person who offered me the job stated that there would be a consideration for a raise after 90 days. Okay, fine, whatever, I just want a job. Well, 9 months later I am still making the same rate. I haven't brought up the issue because I like to fly under the radar. ...