A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Switching from FT to PT advice... - see message

Posted: Jan 17, 2014

I am currently working for my MTSO full time, however I would like to go down to part time (still get benefits). I've been tentatively offered a FT nanny position for a dear friend of mine who would pay me cash to take care of her baby, either my house or hers (we live 5 miles apart). I told her I need to think about it as I am currently FT with my MT job, but I am seriously thinking about going down to PT to still have my MT job and insurance (which I need). PT for me would also be better off for my mental health and less migraines, etc. However, I have NOT said a word to anyone about this yet and am wondering how to word my email request to change my schedule. I understand the worst they can say is no, which is fine, and I could still be available for my friend on Sat/Sun, but I am also afraid that work will let me go, which would put me out of a job (and have no insurance). Basically, I'm looking for suggestions or advice on how to word my email request so that it does not sound like I can't handle my MTSO job full time anymore or that I was offered a better job either. I want to make it sound like my going down to PT is for their benefit and that I'm not putting them out so I can take on a FT 2nd shift nanny position because the money will be better (paid cash). I guess it's hard to explain how I feel about it. I'm kind of a wordy person and just want to avoid digging myself into a hole or getting let go because I want to cut down my hours, because I know they will ask why, and then what do I say? Plus honestly my MTSO is decent and I would feel bad that I am asking to work less. What would you do if you were in my situation? Thanks for the help!

No insurance for PT with MM - Frustrated MT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you can get insurance and still be PT, you are lucky. Most companies do not provide that benefit and when Obamacare sets in this year, a lot more companies will be dropping insurance benefits. Be sure that is what you want because some companies also will not let you go back to FT for 12 months, if ever. Good luck!

Thank you... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I never thought of that, not being able to go back to FT. As far as I know, as long as I am 25 hours per week and still meet production/QA then I have insurance benefits. I may lose out PTO or other FT stuff like that, but I don't care. I can always flex. I'm not at MM or N so I am lucky. I didn't even think of Obamacare as an issue either (as I've heard employees less than 30 hours per week get no insurance). I'm the only insurance holder for my household (just me and hubby) so I NEED insurance so as to avoid fines for not having it plus I have Rx I need covered! At my MTSO, any MT full or part time can work up to 40 hours a week (never going over, of course) so if I wasn't needed to nanny that day/week I could always work extra hours and work 40 hours that week. I guess I'm just conflicted because this nanny job would only be until she is old enough for preschool/4k (she is only 6 months old now) and it won't last forever, but I'm not planning on MT to be forever either. If I get to go down to PT, am I obligated to tell my MTSO about my other "job" or what I do on my off time? Do I tell them about this other job or not? or do I just tell them I need PT only because of _________? It's so confusing. I guess I'll know more after I talk it out with my friend this weekend and get a set schedule or days/times she needs me. The other thing about this nanny job too is that it is only when her hubby is out of town for work, so not everyday, but it could be a day or a week at a time, as he travels. But if I'm only PT for my MT job, then I'm available for her if she needs me or else available for home too. How do you explain to your MTSO that you can't work extra tomorrow but you can Friday?

Know what I mean? Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

If I was the only one with insurance, I wouldn't risk it. - Frustrated MT

[ In Reply To ..]
My husband has insurance at the hospital where he works so we always figured I would go on his if I got laid off or went PT. If not, it would have to stay FT. Only you and you husband can decide what is best for you. Another thing you should consider, friends becoming employer/employee don't always stay friends. Are you willing to risk losing a friend and a job?
Good point... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Gee, you are so smart :-) You've definitely given me some points to think about.

I guess my la-la land "perfect" choice was to go down to PT, keep my insurance, and have a set schedule for both jobs. For example, if I was only working until noon then I'd have 3 choices for my afternoon: Nanny for her if needed, work more hours for MT, or have the afternoon off to do whatever (clean, errands, etc.) She is actually a very nice person and I'd never worry about her screwing me over or hurting our friendship. She thought of me first for her main childcare before anyone else. She is also my husband's boss so I know she's good for it so to speak. It may sound sketchy to an outsider but it's not like that. My husband works for her FT but we need 2 incomes to pay our monthly bills so 2 FT jobs works fine for us, but even his FT and my PT income would make it, just have to tighten the belt a little more, which isn't that hard to do. I thought I'd just come on here anonymously and get some feedback about it before I say anything to my MTSO so I don't get let go and then have NO job and NO insurance. The only "good" thing about that happening is I'd be available 24/7 for her practically and I'm trying to get out of MT by the end of the year anyway. She is the only "job" that has been offered to me since I started my job search last year.
You are so welcome :) - Frustrated MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I hope all works out for the best!
Thank you. - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
x

FULL TIME TO PART TIME - gltrgrami

[ In Reply To ..]
Your making more of this than it has to be. Just tell them as of such and such date that you will be going part-time. It's none of their business why, when, how or what. I just went PT with MM in November. Best thing I ever did to keep my sanity. I did give them 2 weeks notice though. But... it's true, I can't go back to FT for 1 year. Who wants to, not me, not ever!!!
Vague is good. I like it. Thanks for the suggestion! - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Getting worked up over nothing - new but old
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't sweat it, I did the same thing. Went from full to part and then went back to full. Never had a problem or anything. They were great about it.
Awesome! Thanks for that... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Like I said, I have NOT said a word to anyone (except here) about it so I will first check with her about the nanny hours, pay, long-term, etc. then decide yes or no. I first need to make sure that PT has the same insurance benefits for sure and then switch to PT and just give my notice/vague reason. Don't ask, don't tell. My off time should be MY business. It's just how to word it in the email is all. Some other posters brought up things I never thought about or had any intention too. Maybe just read too much into it.

Thanks again!

If your friend is - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
going to be paying you in "cash," does that mean she will not be reporting you as an employee and not paying into SS, not taking taxes out of your wages, etc.? Will she have any sort of Workman's Compensation insurance for you if you are injured while working for her? Getting paid under the table can come back to bite both of you.

WOW. So much to think about! Glad I came here first. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was just more or less thinking of whether or not I should tell my current employer why I'm going down to part time if I do choose to do so. Now it sounds like I shouldn't do this nanny position. I'm not trying to get paid under the table like screw over the government, just not overcharge her kind of thing. Lots of people work for cash on the side. As long as it's not over a certain amount per year, you don't have to claim it anyway.

The amount at which - xx

[ In Reply To ..]
you have to report the income is $600. That is not per month or per week, $600 per year. So, if you are planning to make more than $600 per year, you will have to report it and pay taxes on it. As your employer, your friend will also have obligations to meet with regard to taxes and other requirements of employing someone in her home.
Okay, so no more than $50 a month then? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not a bad person or anything of the sort. I work FT, pay my taxes, contribute, and do not receive one penny of any kind of assistance and do not mooch off the government. Celebrities get out of paying thousands of dollars in tax money but oh no, I better claim every dollar I make! Come on!

I guess I should've just stated it different in my OP and not said anything about working for cash. Just hey, I want to go down to PT to take on another position and left it at that. Too late now I guess.

The final details aren't even set yet so she may draw up papers and make it legit too. Whatever. Gosh!
Sorry for trying to put gas in my car and food in my fridge Geez! - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Hope your MTSO doesn't get bought by MM or N - Frustrated MT
[ In Reply To ..]
These 2 large companies are buying all the smaller MTSOs they can and don't offer insurance for PT. I know you are trying to make some extra money and help your friend, but I wonder if it is worth the risk. If the nanny position is not FT, can you adjust your MT hours to minimum for FT and at a time so you can still nanny? It may be a lot of work and tiring (hopefully, it is just 1 child to nanny), but it is another option to do both.
Yes it is just one child. I thought about FT MT and PT nanny too as an option.. - may just do that n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Why are you angry at me? - xx
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm simply pointing out the tax implications of what you are thinking about doing. You might be able to get away with not reporting your income from the all-cash job and avoiding the taxes, and the friend who is paying you cash may be able to get away with not paying into Social Security or providing insurance or fulfilling the other obligations of being an employer. But you and/or she just as likely might not get away with it. It will be much more expensive if that happens than if it was done properly in the first place.

I'm not the one who made the tax laws. I'm just pointing out some things you need to take into consideration to avoid an expensive problem later on. Making nasty, snarky responses to me won't change the tax law, and it won't make your life any better. It certainly has no effect on mine. I don't care whether you go to jail for tax evasion or get hit with a lot of penalties for failing to play by the rules.
I'm not angry - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for making that valid point. In all seriousness, I'm not angry at you or any poster. It just caught me off guard with all these questions, etc about my situation. I seriously hadn't considered any of this until now and now I'm at the point that I think I will just work MT FT and then nanny PT but just make sure I don't go over the $600 per year earnings. And I also have health insurance to pay for medical bills should they incur. It wouldn't be a work comp issue anyway. I think more people are making this into something it's not.

I was more annoyed with your post than anything else and felt bombarded with the whole thing. I'm not angry. And yes, you may not care about my life or what I do or what happens to me, then why post that? Your first post was fine and didn't make me angry. I know I'm certainly not the only MT that would like to have some extra income coming in to stay afloat. Sorry I ever posted this in the first place.

p.s. I'm sick and so I'm a bit snappy, forgive me, and I'm not mad at you!

And also remember - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Getting paid "off the books" is both a federal and a state offense. We're talking prison here, folks. The IRS is absolutely relentless in these matters.

Guess you weren't expecting all this were you? Lol - Frustrated MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Some posters only want to tell you worst case scenarios and sometimes that is a good thing, as you said before there were many possibilities stated you did not consider. Even if you make less than $600 as a nanny, you may still need to report it as it is additional income and you make more than that as an MT. Plus if your boss takes a child care credit on her taxes, they may look at your tax return to see if they match. IRS does that to people doing child care in their homes. Maybe you should consider having a long talk with your husband. This is going to take a lot of your time away from your family too. I hope it all works out for you.

UPDATE... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
First off, thank you to everyone who posted. You all gave me alot to think about, positive and negative. I also learned that with all the changes going on with insurance, that part-timers do not get health insurance, thus my decision is to stay FT for the obvious reasons. I also am not taking the nanny position. Part of my decision to not take it is due to my work schedule as I have to stay FT for my insurance AND what you have all posted about taxes, et al and basically making me rethink my position. It's not worth losing my job, insurance, friendship, and everything else associated with it. Again, I have not said a word to anyone but hubby and MT stars. So I will just go back to my normal day to day MT life as if this never came up. I seriously thought it over this weekend and talked to her and we both decided to have me be just a weekend only babysitter as needed and will never make more than $600 per year, so less than $50 a month to babysit. Again, I was not trying to be sneaky in any way, just asking for advice. But since alot of you brought up points I never considered, I feel the best option for me is to just not take the nanny position as it would be better for everyone all around.

So after all that, nevermind, this discussion is over. Thanks again all! :-)

Similar Messages:

Switching To VR
Feb 01, 2010

Would some of you share your experience of going from Dictaphone ExText to VR.  Anything positive at all?  Our company will be going that route and we will be paid hourly so salary should not be a factor.  The bottom line is, it is happening.  I would appreciate hearing from MTs whose companies have switched over; the good, bad and ulgly.  Thanks.   ...

Are There Any Companies Out There NOT Switching To VR?!
Dec 24, 2009

I can't get by on literally half my salary, which is what I've been asked to do. Thanks. ...

Switching From FT To PT For MDI-Transcders
Apr 29, 2010

Have any of you that came in with the MDI merger to Transcend or Transcend MLSs had a problem switching from full-time to part-time, or to IC status, etc.?  It was mentioned during the conference calls that we could switch after the merger if we felt we needed a different schedule or less/more hours.  Was this an easy process with HR or your TL/ROM? ...

Switching Careers From Mt
May 18, 2010

Any of you thought of switching to dental laboratory technician, you can work independently a lot of times and they make pretty decent money.  Or do any of you know a dental lab tech and if they like their job, just looking around for something else to do besides MT ...

Switching To FT With Benefits
Dec 23, 2010

Does anyone know the process of switching to FT with benefits?  Do you just have to let your CCM know and she does the paperwork and switching or is it a big hassle?  I lost my medical benefits recently and that is the reason I need to go FT.  I looked in the HR section of Medquist mail but can find nothing relating to this.  Any information is greatly appreciated.  Thank you. ...

Hospital Switching To VR
Feb 17, 2011

Have been informed that the hospital where I work inhouse is switching to voice.  Has anyone ever been an employee where this happened?  Is there usually enough work for everyone or have there been layoffs?  ...

Switching Companies
Sep 04, 2011

I'm wondering what the going rate is per line for an experienced (10+ years) MT these days - not making enough at my current company and looking to find better pay.  What should I be asking? ...

Account Switching To VR
Jan 24, 2013

Hey MTs and editors!  My account is going to VR.  It's a rather small account and the dictation can be handled by a crew of 4 or 5 most generally.  How long do you suppose it will take before everything shakes out and we are able to see how many people are needed in the end?  I'm pretty sure there won't be enough work.   All ideas appreciated.  :) ...

Thinking Of Switching To PT
Sep 28, 2014

Am I more likely to run out of work? I see everyone on here claiming NJA pretty often, I must say I rarely run out of work..Thinking the FT people get first pick because they have to earn their bennies? And will they let me just cut hours from my present schedule or will I be totally rescheduled? ...

BeyondTx Question: I Will Be Switching
Feb 24, 2010

to BeyondTx very soon, first straight, then VR.  I would like to become familiar with the platform before the install and training because it takes me awhile to "get it" with new platforms, etc.  I don't want to be thrown into it the day after training.  Is there a manual or something I could look at before this happens?  Thanks.   ...

So, One Of My Contracts Is Switching Over To VR Next Week.
Feb 27, 2011

:) ...

Chartscript.net - Switching From Weblinc
Oct 17, 2011

Has anyone used this?  I found a couple of things in the archives but they are OLD.  I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with it.  My hospital is switching from Weblinc to Chartscript.net and I was wondering what we should expect.  ...

Local Area Switching To VR
Mar 13, 2012

I have always worked for local hospitals and doctor's offices.  I have never worked through a company, but with most of our local area switching to VR I am having to look to companies for work.  In our local area our transcriptionists usually are paid about 12 cents per line,  but I am noticing most companies pay is substantially lower as i saw an ad for Sten Tel paying only 5-6 cpl.   Could anyone tell me what the norm is for pay with companies?  Thanks for all help. ...

Switching To The New Program EBeyondTXT
Mar 19, 2013

With switching to the new program eBeyondTXT I am not noticing much difference from before with the old program.  It takes just as long to download a job and half the time I am getting the spinning circle showing the slowness of the program. The things that did change is the account I was working on is now an all edit account.  I also noticed that instead of 2 spaces between each sentence it is now only 1 space.  I was also wondering why the use of the bookmarks at the beginning and end of ...

Chartscript Font Switching?
Sep 10, 2013

I'm working on an account that uses Chartscript, and something fairly bizarre is happening to my notes.  When I submit the jobs they are in Times New Roman font, I'm double-checking to make sure that's the case, but at some point after submission they are switching to Arial!  I have no clue why it's happening, apparently it's not only me, but is happening to some others, but not everyone.  Does anyone have any idea why, or what I can do about it?  ...

Switching Between Computers/monitors
Oct 07, 2014

The name of the program is Synergy. ...

Windows 7--Switching To Compatibility Mode
Aug 12, 2010

I am thinking about a laptop--Windows 7 but I need to install EditScript from escription.  Does anyone know if I could run it in compatability mode and it would work?  TIA ...

I'm A High Producer Switching To QA. How Many LPH Should I Expect
Sep 08, 2010

nm ...

Company Is Going To Be Switching To Voice Recognition
May 13, 2011

My company is going to be switching to voice recognition soon instead of plain transcription and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what it is like compared to transcribing.  Was the transition diffficult? What is the usual pay rate? ...

Company Thinking Of Switching To M*Modal
Dec 18, 2013

Company thinking of switching to M*Modal...any comments from those who have used this program, yay, nay...any comments are greatly appreciated. ...

A Few Questions About Switching To Part Time
Jan 08, 2015

I have been here 15 years and am considering switching to part time.  When changing your schedule to part time, do you lose the PTO you have already accrued?  Do your benefits remain intact through the month that you switch, or do you lose insurance coverage immediately?  Any additional information that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!   ...

Thinking Of Switching To Employee Status .. Feedback?
Apr 17, 2012

Hi, I'm looking for feedback from anyone who can help me out. I've been working for the same company for 3 years as an IC. I'm thinking of search for a new company that is employee-based from home so I can have taxes taken out and possibly get paid more than I am working for now. Has anyone gone from IC to employee from home and if so how did you like it compared to being an IC? It seems like it would be nice to have my insurance, etc taken care of. I love being an IC but someti ...

Dictaphone Switching Between Headset And Handset Problem
May 29, 2015

When I am using my Dictaphone listening through the headset sometimes the audio switches away from the headset and sounds like it is coming through the handset. If the room is quiet I can still just so hear it. Then it switches back to the headset. It makes it really hard to work because often I have to back up to hear what I missed when it switched to the handset. I have tried two different Dictaphones with the same issue, although I used the same headset with each one. Maybe it's a pr ...