A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

So, one of my contracts is switching over to VR next week. - Any advice?

Posted: Feb 27, 2011

:)

What kind of advice? - MTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you losing this account/work because of it switching to VR or do you get to stay on and do the editing? If you are continuing on with this account, then I would say just go with the flow and learn the VR on an account that you are already familiar with. The more you know the better. I lost quite a bit of work because it went to VR and the MTSO that I work for does not do VR. With the way things are now, I would have like to learn VR on accounts/dictators that I was familar with. But instead, the work/large account was lost completely.

Will you be editing that VR? If so, just be sure - - (-SM-)

[ In Reply To ..]
you don't edit your way out of a job. There are ways to do that. You can make corrections that are just different enough from both what was dictated, and what VR thought it was, that although it's completely correct, and produces a beautiful, accurate medical report, that slight difference will make it impossible for VR to "learn" from it. Especially if you do it slightly differently each time that same VR-mangled term comes up.

Yeah, like what happens when you have 15+ VR editors - training on 50+ dictators. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Wow, or something. Complaints're usually the opposite--too - many corrections forever. OP, I would

[ In Reply To ..]
just concentrate on getting good at it--and, of course, do a good job. Hope you enjoy.

When VR gets good enough, then the editor - is out of a job.

[ In Reply To ..]
Or we edit a lot more reports. In any case, sabotaging - your work is not good advice. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
In my recollection, you have the honor (?) of being the only person ever to suggest such low behavior.
Just like OS, VR WILL get good enough that editors will not - be needed. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
NOT sabotaging. Just doing a good job AND - confusing VR "learning" at same time.
[ In Reply To ..]
A gal's gotta have SOME fun in life.
Sabotage. Look up the definition. Ethics, too, - while you are at it. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Should I look them up in the same book the MTSO uses? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

That has to be the worst advice I've ever seen (sm) - MTME

[ In Reply To ..]
unless you want to get fired and/or majorly pi$$ off coworkers who are diligently trying to create clean documents and are frustrated because VR keeps making the same mistakes over and over. There will always be things that VR does not "hear" correctly that must be checked; lab values, date of birth, etc. There will always be docs who say "go back up to the diagnoses and add..." and I really doubt that it's possible to edit yourself out of a job....

It wont take many editors to do those little things you mention. Good - VR is coming and it WILL take jobs away. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

You people crack me up. Speech recognition learns the voice of someone, - when they train it, it will get better

[ In Reply To ..]
no matter how many times the physician says the word wrong and you keep correcting it, the VR will not get it right until it learns the way the doctor is saying the word. I don't care if you correct the word 1,000 times, until the VR decides this is the word the doctor is saying, it will not chose the correct word. I guess that's why they call it Voice Recognition and that's why it has to be trained to the voice.

But if Dr is saying word RIGHT and VR is wrong, it WILL - learn. My prob is VR mistakes, not Dr. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I agree, the VR can hear something off the wall just as we - can on occasion, sm

[ In Reply To ..]
that's when as a transcriptionist we say, that's not what he said and listen to it again. Unfortunately, VR does not do that. It types what it thinks it hears the first time, then we have to go in and correct it and put what was really said.
Yeeeaaahh--- and that is how VR learns what Dr is really - saying, trains not to make mistake again SM
[ In Reply To ..]
and with enough of this, VR is doing MY job, no need of me.
Using BESR - ticchick
[ In Reply To ..]
backend speech recognition along with chart.net. I used to work in a place that used Escription and that showed signs of gradually learning what we taught it. This one is not showing signs of learning even what the doctors are saying- keeps getting the same words wrong even though we fix them every time. We have had this going for about 2-3 months. Is it too soon to expect anything? Or do we have a crappy system. The one thing I hate about this system is you have to "snap to" to bring your cursor to where the voice is whenever you stop. This is annoying, it does not always work, and even when it does it lands right on that word and you can't hear the few seconds leading up to that word so you *still* have to take your cursor and place it back before that word. Also whenever the docs use a word that is the same as in a heading, such as 'as otherwise described in past medical history' it will jump to the past medical history heading, so the report is all over the freaking place and you spend half your time searching for where the cursor is now. Is this sounding familiar to anyone else??
"what we taught it" the VR learns the speech pattern of the person - dictating, the dictionary can be expanded
[ In Reply To ..]
to have more words to chose from, but ultimately, if the VR hears the dictator saying a word that it is not sure of, it will chose what it thinks it hearing and no matter how many times you change it to the correct word, it will not learn until it learns the voice of the person dictating. I don't understand why all of these transcriptionist think they are training the voice recognition to learn the physician's speech pattern, only the physician can do that.
pi$$ed - sickofthisjob
[ In Reply To ..]
management using SR to instill atmosphere of fear of being fired (by actually firing a lot of people when work dropped off instead of doing the honest thing & laying them off) & devaluing our skills, so I actually got here by googling "sabotaging speech recognition." That's what I think about while I'm working now, not how to do my job well, like I used to.

Similar Messages:

Do Contracts
May 11, 2010

If you are hired as an employee (FT), signed a contract for straight typing at a certain amount of CPL, they make the change to ASR, your CPL is decreased, your paycheck is suffering, is there anything to do, aside from leaving? ...

VA CONTRACTS??
Aug 26, 2013

Does anyone know how to obtain a copy of a VA contract between a company and the VA? It is suppose to be public knowledge. Thanks ...

IC Contracts
Oct 21, 2014

The company I work through as an IC has made changes to our pay rate and the line count minimums without the benefit of having us sign new contracts (our previous contracts do state our pay and the line count requirements).  Management contends this is completely legal.  I disagree. Any thoughts?   ...

Overseas Contracts
Aug 07, 2010

EMR And Loss Of Contracts
Nov 03, 2010

Does anyone here integrate their transcription into an EMR?   If so, what EMR company is being used?  Looking for a way to keep a company from going down the EMR tubes! Help! thanks... ...

Should An IC Write Her Own Contracts
Feb 19, 2013

Should an IC write her own contract for someone wanting to hire her? ...

MModal Contracts
Aug 02, 2013

We've been given a cutoff date unofficially.  MModal will be snail-mailing contracts to us, with 2 weeks to decide whether to join MModal or not.  If we choose not to work for MModal, can that be used against us when we file for unemployment?  Does unemployment know MModal's reputation for underpaying and overworking its transcriptionists?  Any advice greatly appreciated.  Should get contract in mail in about a week or so.  THANKS! ...

Independent Contracts
Aug 21, 2013

I have been thinking about getting my own contracts instead of working for a big company.  Can anyone please advise me on how to go about this?  I have been working for five years as an MT and I was just content with what I had but I won't be getting a raise anytime soon (haven't for the past 5 years) and I know that I would be making more independently. So what are the steps of getting your own contracts?  What do I need to know before I begin? Thank you all ...

Government Contracts
Nov 13, 2014

I have contacted Kerry Bentivolio, Congressman for my district, several times regarding the latest taxpayer travesty. Contracts for medical transcription work at the VA Hospitals are now being awarded to an Indian company, IMedx. Financial support for these hospitals is being provided by taxpayers, and those jobs and contracts should be awarded to AMERICANS. There are numerous AMERICAN transcription companies that could not only handle this work, but provide more accurate transcription services ...

I Have A Question About ICs With Contracts/new Jobs
Aug 11, 2010

Do most ICs who sign contracts requiring 30-day notice adhere to that?  I cannot see myself working two full-time jobs, as I oftentimes have trouble meeting minimum line count requirements at the current job because changes seem to come along about every 90 days or so, just when I am getting used to things and am finally able to consistently make the line count.  I guess I fear that if I tell the new job I cannot start for 30 days (or even two weeks for that matter) they will not hold ...

VA Contracts And Am Getting Paid Pennies
Aug 28, 2012

I currently work for a company with a VA contract and am getting paid pennies and I thought I read on here awhile ago there is a way to go and look up the contracts and see what they actually bid it for. I tried looking in the archives but couldn't find anything in reference on how to do this. Can somebody please tell me how to do this or point me in the right direction. ...

VA Contracts - How The Hourly Is Determined
Nov 11, 2013

My company was audited by the DoL.  Now being paid the prevailing wage, paid by the hour, made a lot more paid by the line...  Afraid to ask company how  the hourly is determined, why it changes paycheck to paycheck, why it doesn't match the facilities' counties wage determination (it's VERY much less).  Curious to hear from others who are working on VA contracts, anyone else affected?  ...

Does Nuance Have Any VA Contracts Or Do They Just Sell Them
Nov 13, 2014

IF they have any contracts, we will be due the new federal minimum wage of 10.10 per hour when that goes into effect. Sadly, I think it is more likely that Nuance will shuck those contracts, if they have them, to avoid this. Anyone know anything about Nuance and VA contracts?   ...

Veteran's Administration Transcription Contracts
Apr 19, 2013

Hi - looking to find out where all the VAMC contracts went. Need a job and all my experience is in that type of work. Any information/help would be marvelous..... Thank you ...

ScribeRight Got More Data Migration Contracts?
Jun 27, 2013

Anyone know if ScribeRight got more data migration contracts?  I thought this company's CEO said that there were a lot of good things happening and big contracts coming for data migration?! ...

Switching To VR
Feb 01, 2010

Would some of you share your experience of going from Dictaphone ExText to VR.  Anything positive at all?  Our company will be going that route and we will be paid hourly so salary should not be a factor.  The bottom line is, it is happening.  I would appreciate hearing from MTs whose companies have switched over; the good, bad and ulgly.  Thanks.   ...

VA Contracts - You Should Be Paid A Minimum Hourly Wage
Sep 18, 2012

If you work for a transcription company on a VA hospital contract, you should be paid a minimum hourly wage as well as receive benefits per the Service Contract Act.  You may be even be eligible for back pay if you have not been paid correctly.  You can contact the Department of Labor and file a claim anonymously against your employer.   http://www.dol.gov/compliance/topics/wages-fed-contracts.htm ...

Are There Any Companies Out There NOT Switching To VR?!
Dec 24, 2009

I can't get by on literally half my salary, which is what I've been asked to do. Thanks. ...

Switching From FT To PT For MDI-Transcders
Apr 29, 2010

Have any of you that came in with the MDI merger to Transcend or Transcend MLSs had a problem switching from full-time to part-time, or to IC status, etc.?  It was mentioned during the conference calls that we could switch after the merger if we felt we needed a different schedule or less/more hours.  Was this an easy process with HR or your TL/ROM? ...

Switching Careers From Mt
May 18, 2010

Any of you thought of switching to dental laboratory technician, you can work independently a lot of times and they make pretty decent money.  Or do any of you know a dental lab tech and if they like their job, just looking around for something else to do besides MT ...

Switching To FT With Benefits
Dec 23, 2010

Does anyone know the process of switching to FT with benefits?  Do you just have to let your CCM know and she does the paperwork and switching or is it a big hassle?  I lost my medical benefits recently and that is the reason I need to go FT.  I looked in the HR section of Medquist mail but can find nothing relating to this.  Any information is greatly appreciated.  Thank you. ...

Hospital Switching To VR
Feb 17, 2011

Have been informed that the hospital where I work inhouse is switching to voice.  Has anyone ever been an employee where this happened?  Is there usually enough work for everyone or have there been layoffs?  ...

Switching Companies
Sep 04, 2011

I'm wondering what the going rate is per line for an experienced (10+ years) MT these days - not making enough at my current company and looking to find better pay.  What should I be asking? ...

Account Switching To VR
Jan 24, 2013

Hey MTs and editors!  My account is going to VR.  It's a rather small account and the dictation can be handled by a crew of 4 or 5 most generally.  How long do you suppose it will take before everything shakes out and we are able to see how many people are needed in the end?  I'm pretty sure there won't be enough work.   All ideas appreciated.  :) ...

Switching From FT To PT Advice...
Jan 17, 2014

I am currently working for my MTSO full time, however I would like to go down to part time (still get benefits). I've been tentatively offered a FT nanny position for a dear friend of mine who would pay me cash to take care of her baby, either my house or hers (we live 5 miles apart). I told her I need to think about it as I am currently FT with my MT job, but I am seriously thinking about going down to PT to still have my MT job and insurance (which I need). PT for me would also be better ...

Thinking Of Switching To PT
Sep 28, 2014

Am I more likely to run out of work? I see everyone on here claiming NJA pretty often, I must say I rarely run out of work..Thinking the FT people get first pick because they have to earn their bennies? And will they let me just cut hours from my present schedule or will I be totally rescheduled? ...

BeyondTx Question: I Will Be Switching
Feb 24, 2010

to BeyondTx very soon, first straight, then VR.  I would like to become familiar with the platform before the install and training because it takes me awhile to "get it" with new platforms, etc.  I don't want to be thrown into it the day after training.  Is there a manual or something I could look at before this happens?  Thanks.   ...

Chartscript.net - Switching From Weblinc
Oct 17, 2011

Has anyone used this?  I found a couple of things in the archives but they are OLD.  I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with it.  My hospital is switching from Weblinc to Chartscript.net and I was wondering what we should expect.  ...

Local Area Switching To VR
Mar 13, 2012

I have always worked for local hospitals and doctor's offices.  I have never worked through a company, but with most of our local area switching to VR I am having to look to companies for work.  In our local area our transcriptionists usually are paid about 12 cents per line,  but I am noticing most companies pay is substantially lower as i saw an ad for Sten Tel paying only 5-6 cpl.   Could anyone tell me what the norm is for pay with companies?  Thanks for all help. ...

Switching To The New Program EBeyondTXT
Mar 19, 2013

With switching to the new program eBeyondTXT I am not noticing much difference from before with the old program.  It takes just as long to download a job and half the time I am getting the spinning circle showing the slowness of the program. The things that did change is the account I was working on is now an all edit account.  I also noticed that instead of 2 spaces between each sentence it is now only 1 space.  I was also wondering why the use of the bookmarks at the beginning and end of ...