A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Stuck in a major rut!!!! - wanttosaygoodbyetoMT

Posted: Mar 05, 2015

I am making less and less at my at-home transcription job.  I have not been motivated at all lately, and I also never have enough work when I am motivated. I feel completely depressed.  I have rare occasions where I am excited about job searching and entering a new career and/or going to school, but then I seem to lose all hope and motivation.  My paychecks are no longer enough to support me.  I guess I'm just looking to rant to relieve some of my stress and hopefully some motivation from people who might understand what I'm going through.  I used to love my job and have been a transcriptionist for almost 2 decades, since graduating from high school.  It also paid a decent wage back then, and it was nice to work in a hospital.  I have become so apathetic and have almost completely given up hope about job searching.  Any words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated or even criticism.  I need something to get me going again! Thanks in advance : ) 

I feel ya... - Backwoods Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
I genuinely felt the pain behind your words, because I feel like that as well.

I, too, worked for a hospital until outsourced and my pay as well is not enough, less than half of what I used to make. I have only been in this field about 8 years and I am not saying it has been a total loss, but had I known the field would take this turn I would have taken a different path.

My advice is to never give up, never surrender! You give them the satisfaction of taking your soul from you. Your goal should be to give them the middle finger and move on to better things, which you, as well as the rest of us, so deserve. Our talents are worth WAY more.

Just keep in mind that you would not get more than you could handle and when you are feeling overwhelmed, just stop, take a break, breathe deep, clear your mind and remember that a change is on the horizon. It is hard not to give up when it seems like you apply, apply and apply some more, but hear nothing. Keep at it! There is something better out there for you, it's probably just not "time" yet, but you are getting close. Just keep in mind, you are already about as low as you can get, you can only move up. Lock that 4-wheel drive in and dig out!

Good luck to us all. Karma is coming for these MTSOs. First round is on me when it does!

We are robots - Robot

[ In Reply To ..]
Start thinking of another career; go to nursing school for one year even to become an LPN. You are young enough still. Who of us really likes voice recognition to begin with? Productivity and speed do not go hand in hand with a quality end product. It has sucked our talents and knowledge right out of us and looking forward to work is not even an enjoyable task any longer. Besides that, we now have been inundated with doctors that half the time can't even talk or their accents are so thick, we are supposed to be mind readers. What joy can be found in this job any more? On top of this, the transcription companies are taking advantage of us, turning us into paupers and slave labor for nothing in return. They all push for us buying our equipment and software programs; many times we are provided lousy sound files to transcribe. Not too far in the future, healthcare records are going to be really suffering because there won't be any decent patient documentation out there. Then it will be too late. None of us will want to go back to it at that point. The goal seems to be to have nothing but "robots" who will be transcriptionists and we all know what "robot transcribing" has turned into - the marvelous voice recognition!

Nursing school, not so fast - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
I did that, I am in the same boat with this transcription job, not making any money and I did go to school, First CNA then LPN. No one will hire me as an LPN because they all want 1 year experience. I have applied to so many nursing jobs and I was ready to quit this transcription, but I can't find a job anywhere, I am now applying to grocery stores and home depot, etc. Just to make a 400.00 paycheck a week would make me feel like I was rich at this point. All these advertisements on TV saying nurses are in short demand, well they sure aren't hiring anybody new to the field. It really sucks. Everyone said go to school for RN then you'll get hired. Well I did some research on line, and they aren't getting hired either. Sorry to break the nursing news, but I have had my nursing license since December and still everyday I am here on line looking for a job, or out putting in applications the old fashioned way by going to the business. If anybody knows of a place that hires LPNs with no experience please let me know I will be there in a heartbeat.

Good luck to the original poster, but I would have loved to have that money that I spent on school right now, as my paychecks are so low, and find a different field, but nursing I don't think so.

Nursing School...Not So Fast - AmazedMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Cindy; I just saw your post. Have you considered applying for a chart reviewer position; they want people with LPN, RN licenses. Also, some of the insurance companies such as United Health Care for one, have jobs for LPNs. If all else fails, go to the place where you received your training and see if they can give you a job search helping hand. Best of luck to you! No education goes to waste!
To Amazed MT - CINDY
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks. I will do that. I did go to the school, but they offered no help unfortunately. Thanks for your help.
Also Consider... - see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
Also consider that LPNs often qualify for online advice or phone advice. I'm not sure what sort of actual work experience a clinic or hospital might be looking for with that, but it might be worth looking into, if you haven't already. Or, perhaps start your own website for online nursing questions. I don't know what sort of qualifications there are for that, or if it's even monitored, but it's something to think about.

I'm not sure if you looked into nursing home work. Since you were a CNA, you probably have. If you are searching only to work in a hospital, that is more difficult. Maybe a walk-in clinic or something? They're usually not complicated---it's mostly people with the sniffles, UTIs, cerumen, stuff like that.

Good luck!
Yes, I did home care as CNA - CINDY
[ In Reply To ..]
I did homecare as a CNA and saw the nurses coming in to fix the patients' wounds and that is why I decided to go into it. It looked really easy and not so hard. I have had a couple of interviews with home health agencies and they were hopeful, but as soon as they find out you don't have experience that's the end. I have been searching every kind of job. Thanks for all your suggestions. I already applied to the ones mentioned in the previous post that the other poster suggested. I know MT is a terrible field right now, and I am stuck here just like the original poster is.

Thanks, any suggestions are appreciated. :)
Amazed - FormerMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I went back to school after 2 decades of MT. I am now out of school and working outside the home. It is so nice getting a regular paycheck again. My last 5-6 years of MT were very painful, making less than minimum wage, always having to sit in front of the computer and putting up with these nasty companies. I'm in my 50s and have started a second career. What I found is that there are many, many women out there doing the exact same thing for whatever reason. Don't think you're too old to start over. I can't describe how happy I am to be out of transcription.

Thank you all for the encouragement! :) - wanttosaygoodbyetoMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you all so much for the words of encouragement and advice. It's nice to know we're not alone in this. I am going to make job searching a priority starting next week. I am so looking forward to a new future with a career I'll love as much as I loved MT. I will be 36 soon and have been doing medical transcription since I was 18. I loved it so much while working in hospitals and even when I started working at home, but it has just gone downhill since then. I am also planning on starting school later this year. I would like to become a CNA as soon as possible, and then take nursing school path in the fall. I have noticed we have several STNA courses in my area that are really last less than two months. I wish you all the best! :)

oops I meant to say... - wanttosaygoodbyetoMT

[ In Reply To ..]
that are really short and last less than two months. I posted without proofreading :) lol

Similar Messages:

MAJOR, MAJOR PROBLEMS This Morning With
Sep 11, 2010

Cannot get the voice to download all the way causing me to not finish report completely. ...

* Imedx And Major, Major Changes In 2 Weeks, Probably
Feb 14, 2015

Okay, let's sum it up: 1. Imedx hid information on losing more than one account for months, this is a fact. 2. Number one above is confirmed by Imedx having an acct going to EPIC, and a few days later 3 accounts that we "do not have access to anymore" as stated by manager. 3. Number two above did not say we lost, or Nuance took back, etc., just "no access." 4. In other words, work shifted to cheaper folks, we get that. 5. Lack of any emails in 2 weeks regarding what is going on is abso ...

Stuck On QA
Jan 25, 2010

can somebody please tell me how the QA system is fair?  I have pointed out errors and had them acknowledged by the QA person on our team.  The stuff is so inconsistent.  I am in my THIRD month of QA and I've been doing dictation for 20+ years.  My 'mistakes' are only in formatting and BOS issues and I get counted off for some things and when I change to what the QA corrects me on - i get QA'd AGAIN for doing it the way they corrected me!  I have ...

Still Stuck On Who And Whom
Jan 17, 2011

Usually it is "the patient is a 65 year old lady who/whom we have seen in our office."  Help????? "She" is seen in our office or we see "her" in our office?  I am so dense on this one.  ...

Stuck Again.
Oct 01, 2014

Swell. ...

Stuck Again
Jan 21, 2015

wOW, did 7 jobs and now stuck in downloading again.  Everybody else back up and running.  I know this is not affecting everyone, just certain areas and I am one of the luck ones, NOT!  ...

Are We Down, Stuck
Apr 26, 2015

uploading and audio is stuck buffering ...

Anybody Else Stuck
Jun 05, 2015

?? TIA ...

Stuck On A Work
Jan 09, 2010

Lungs had had expiratory and inspiratory wheezing, which had breath sounds both high and low pitched.  There were no _________ changes.  He had no dullness to percussion. Sounds like "e tor ray" any ideas?? ...

DQS Stuck On Downloading A Job?
Feb 19, 2010

Anybody else just have DQS stuck on downloading a job?  Not that it matters much.  I have been on the very edge of NJA this evening and don't think that will last long before I'm out completely.  ...

Oh Lord, Stuck In
Apr 17, 2012

apologies to CCR ...

DQ7 Is Stuck, Cannot Get Audio, Anyone Else?
Jul 25, 2012

nm ...

Uploading Job Is Stuck.
Nov 18, 2012

I Guess I'm Stuck In MT
Jan 03, 2013

I failed another interview yesterday, and I'm not going to do anymore interviews.  When they start asking stuff like, how does your experience as a medical transcriptionist translate to this particular job, I'm stumped.  Among other questions. I have started building some other skills (like Excel), but I always end up looking like a complete idiot.  So I'm just gonna stick with MT until it goes away and then I'll go to the unemployment office and mayb ...

Anybody Else Stuck In Upload?
Mar 28, 2013

I have 3 jobs stuck! Hope I don't lose them! With NJA, I need every line I can get!! ...

A Thought For Every MLS Stuck At
Aug 03, 2013

until they (we) can move on to a company, any company, that does not treat us like crap. I have had 3 different QC auditors go over the same difficult dictators to hit me hard on a post audit - each time it has backfired on them big time.  Not only do I challenge every single FIESA, I have actually copied and sent pages from BOS and my acct specs to prove they are clueless and the "errors" they found were manfactured.    I think ALL of us at the same time (pick a date conve ...

FEELING STUCK
Sep 19, 2014

I   f eel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.I've been at this job for over 20 years and my pay Has consistently declined, but for some reason I stick with it. I've had to move several times to find cheaper apartments because of the decline In pay.I lost my car and now I barely make minimum wage.I make too much for assistancebut nobody takes into account how much I pay in in health insurance.I would really like to change careers but how do I do that Whileworking f ...

Fluency Stuck - Anyone Else?
Nov 03, 2014

x ...

Stuck In Upload
Dec 14, 2014

Fluency Stuck?
Jan 21, 2015

nm ...

Am I The Only One Stuck In Upload?
Mar 01, 2015

Please crash, please crash, pretty please crash ...

Do You Feel Stuck In This Profession?
Sep 03, 2011

I'm feeling stuck and I just need to vent a little bit.  I have been a transcriptionist for 12 years and loved every minute of it until just the last couple of months.  I trained with the Q and really enjoyed that job.  Had a great supervisor and all was good.  I was offered an IC position with our local hospital making 0.16/line, 50 cpl with spaces.  Of course I grabbed that up.  This was 5 years ago.  2 years ago we got a new supervisor who made us all s ...

I Am Stuck In The Middle Of An Upload Nm
Jan 19, 2013

nm ...

It Is Beautiful Outside And I Am Stuck Inside W/NJA, Just Waiting
Apr 13, 2010

NM ...

Stuck On Word, 'right ? Abscess"
Oct 19, 2011

Doctor dictates: " He eventually underwent exploratory laparotomy and right hemicolectomy for a right (s/l colonic) abscess of unknown etiology." The patient has a left tibial plateau fracture. It s/l colonic but it also sounds as if it has a 'q' at the start of the word. I cannot make it out, and all my research has turned up nothing that would fit. Please help anyone??? ...

I Hate Voice Recognition But Am Stuck With It
Apr 15, 2014

I hate voice recognition but am stuck with it. I am collecting funny, ridiculous, and dangerous misadventures in voice recognition, particularly errors that actually eneded up in reports. Please submit if you have any good ones ...

Why Are Companies Stuck On Everyone Working 40 Hours A Week?
Mar 02, 2012

I've got great experience and when I'm scheduled to work, I'm there working.  What the hell difference does it make if I only want to be scheduled for 6 hours on four of my weekdays?  Would they rather I said I would work 8 hours and actually only work 6 like a lot of people? I'm willing to work 10 hours on Sunday, so we're talking 34 hours a week and more if I have the time, and I'm not asking for benefits.  I'm so sick of this job search.  ...

Stuck Between A Rock And A Hard Place (as Usual)
Jun 12, 2014

So QA keeps telling me to review the acct specs as I continue to format certain reports incorrectly.  Sigh.  I have looked and there is nothing in the acct specs that states anything about formatting, but yet if I say anything, I will be the "bad guy" so I am just going to keep quiet as much as I hate to.  I would rather be able to talk with them, but I have enough experience with these people to know how it will turn out:( ...

Shorthand Users, Do You Have Trouble With It Getting Stuck In All Caps? SM
Aug 22, 2014

For example,  I have my headings entered in as follows:  xpmh = PAST MEDICAL HISTORY: I will type my abbreviation and hit my space bar twice and while the abbreviation is still expanding, I will start my sentence, but if I hit the shift key and the first letter of the first word of my sentence too soon, I will get stuck in caps lock without the caps lock button being pushed.  Then if I hit shift and any letter (to capitalize), it will all be in lowercase as if caps lock is on, bu ...

The Wordlady Is Stuck... Remarkable For Sisters With Banrecklin-Hauser Syndrome
Dec 20, 2009

The doc spelled this but I googled and cannot find it anywhere, especially with the first part.  I don't have any idea what part of the body it is because she is just listing PMH.  Thanks for any thoughts or ideas. ...