A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Shorthand users, do you have trouble with it getting stuck in all caps? SM - HappyMT

Posted: Aug 22, 2014

For example,  I have my headings entered in as follows:  xpmh = PAST MEDICAL HISTORY:

I will type my abbreviation and hit my space bar twice and while the abbreviation is still expanding, I will start my sentence, but if I hit the shift key and the first letter of the first word of my sentence too soon, I will get stuck in caps lock without the caps lock button being pushed.  Then if I hit shift and any letter (to capitalize), it will all be in lowercase as if caps lock is on, but it's not.  So basically, everything is reversed.  What I end up having to do is shutting down Shorthand and then restarting it and everything is right with the world.  Am I just typing too fast for my Shorthand?  Is there some way to prevent this?  It happens to me several times throughout the day and it is so annoying!

I have similar with SpeedType...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I never considered it to be an expander issue but thought it was a Word thing. What I do is back up to a point where I can transcribe the dictation again and the all caps corrects itself. After reading your post, I'm wondering if it is an expander issue. What happens to me is I'll use an expander for say, constitutional, use my colon, and start typing; but what I get is CONTITUTIONal:
Maybe if we go into your expander options and speed up (fewer seconds), it takes do expand, that might help.

this is a known problem - StillAnMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I use Shorthand, and it happens all the time. I found the remedy in the Shorthand directions, so it is a Shorthand problem. What I do (and what the directions say) is hit the Shift key (maybe a couple of times) to "unlock" it from that mode. If that does not work then I just backspace out that abbreviation and then hit "Shift." You do not have the close Shorthand...

Similar Messages:

SoftScript Shorthand Users
Dec 15, 2011

I have been doing this way too long to just accept that this takes so long to do...I have made many macros on shorthand and if they are more than a word or so long (many of my macros are many sentences/paragraphs long) it takes FOREVER for the program to type it all in.  I am already having to click WAY too much to just get into the stinking job that I am just hoping that someone has a way to fix this?!?!  PLEASE HELP!! ...

Webmedx Shorthand Users--a Question.
Jan 24, 2011

I use Shorthand with the new Enterprise system.  SH seems really sluggish on ISR reports. Frequently it will not expand the shortcut and needs to be repeated, or I just give up and type it "longhand."  I have tried several Preference settings but nothing seems to help. Also deleted all unnecessary programs and do not run any other program with SH and EP, cleared all cookies, keep the computer maintained (defrag, cleanup). Before calling IT about this, thought I would ask here first. Th ...

Caps?
Feb 04, 2010

was not able to see this patient at this time because of his "Mission of Mercy" trip to Haiti.   it is dictated in quotes. I am unsure if its Mission of Mercy, or mission of mercy ...

Caps And Commas Or No?
Aug 15, 2010

How do you punctuate this? Spurling Compression Rotation Extension tests? Spurling, compression, rotation, extension tests? or something entirely different?   Thanks! ...

Need Help For DQS Function Regarding ALL CAPS!
Oct 01, 2010

Good morning ladies and gentleman from MQ.  I need your help. On the ASR reports, how do you ALL CAPS a sentence? Here's the deal . . . Say under allergies, the MD dictates no known drug allergies.  What I do is hilite the sentence and then Control, Shift, A.  After I do that, the sentences comes out No Known Drug Allergies (initial caps only).  Then I have to do the Control, Shift, A again and it will switch to ALL CAPS. Is there an easier way to do th ...

Ziggy Caps
Dec 10, 2010

Plain as day, he's saying ziggy caps -- under Psych ROS, "checking for depression, ziggy caps . . ."  What is this in reference to?  HELP!  THANKS ...

ALIMTA - All Caps?
Apr 23, 2011

Is ALIMTA, the cancer treatment written in all caps? Thanks for any help. ...

Crystalloid Caps Or Not?
Nov 02, 2013

Should Crystalloid be capitalized or not? ...

Spellcheck Not Checking CAPS
Feb 23, 2010

My spellchecker is not checking for words in all caps, such as in headings.  I have Windows XP and Word.  Does anyone know where I am supposed to look to find and correct this?  I know this probably sounds dumb to you smart MTs out there, but I really just don't know where to look and how to fix this.  Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. ...

Is PEEK Cage In All Caps?
Jul 16, 2010

Stryker PEEK cage or peek cage or Peek cage? ...

Is Drug Januvia All Caps?
Jan 19, 2011

? ...

DQS 7 Toggle Function For Caps
May 16, 2012

Is this not an option in the new platform?  This is the toggle that prevented you from putting two capital letters together...i.e., typing She instead of SHe.  I tend to do this a lot and would to enable this function if possible. ...

Is FABERE Sign All Caps?
Aug 08, 2012

Just saw today that apparently it is an acronym and should be all caps? ...

EINSTEIN Study - All CAPs??
Sep 14, 2012

I am transcribing a report for the Einstein trials for a drug.  Everywhere I look, it has EINSTEIN (all caps).  I cannot find anywhere this is an acronym.  Should it be transcribed in all caps? ...

BOS Rule For Drug Names In All Caps?
Mar 28, 2013

Does anyone know the BOS rule for drug names that are technically all caps, i.e., TUMS, GRALISE?  Do they stay all caps or is it okay to capitalize just the first letter, or is it company/client preference?  QA is telling me just to capitalize the first letter so as not to draw more attention than needed to the drug name in the report, but I can't document this in the Book of Style.  Thanks in advance! ...

S/l Lura-lie Caps...on A Dialysis Catheter. Nm
Jul 20, 2013

. ...

Can You Convert Text To All CAPs In Inscribe?
Apr 09, 2015

New job, new platform.  I am wondering if you can select text in Inscribe and easily convert it to all caps, like using shift+F3 in Word?  It seems crazy not to have this ability in the platform, so I figure I must be missing something.    ...

Word 2007 Caps Lock Issues
Jan 17, 2013

I need help with Word 2007.  I've searched and can't find anything to help and have also asked tech support at my company without remedy.  I'm hoping I can explain it well enough so someone here on the board might have dealt with this and can help me.  It certainly would be appreciated as I give up! When I put in a heading such as MEDICATIONS:  At this point, I try to hit the return to the next line to begin my typing.  However, it will not go to the next ...

Can Anyone Tell Me How To Remove Automatic Initial Caps In Word
Jan 16, 2015

I appreciate it.  Making me nuts with do-overs in the middle of a sentence.  Thanks for anyone's help. ...

Stuck On QA
Jan 25, 2010

can somebody please tell me how the QA system is fair?  I have pointed out errors and had them acknowledged by the QA person on our team.  The stuff is so inconsistent.  I am in my THIRD month of QA and I've been doing dictation for 20+ years.  My 'mistakes' are only in formatting and BOS issues and I get counted off for some things and when I change to what the QA corrects me on - i get QA'd AGAIN for doing it the way they corrected me!  I have ...

Still Stuck On Who And Whom
Jan 17, 2011

Usually it is "the patient is a 65 year old lady who/whom we have seen in our office."  Help????? "She" is seen in our office or we see "her" in our office?  I am so dense on this one.  ...

Stuck Again.
Oct 01, 2014

Swell. ...

Stuck Again
Jan 21, 2015

wOW, did 7 jobs and now stuck in downloading again.  Everybody else back up and running.  I know this is not affecting everyone, just certain areas and I am one of the luck ones, NOT!  ...

Are We Down, Stuck
Apr 26, 2015

uploading and audio is stuck buffering ...

Anybody Else Stuck
Jun 05, 2015

?? TIA ...

Stuck On A Work
Jan 09, 2010

Lungs had had expiratory and inspiratory wheezing, which had breath sounds both high and low pitched.  There were no _________ changes.  He had no dullness to percussion. Sounds like "e tor ray" any ideas?? ...

DQS Stuck On Downloading A Job?
Feb 19, 2010

Anybody else just have DQS stuck on downloading a job?  Not that it matters much.  I have been on the very edge of NJA this evening and don't think that will last long before I'm out completely.  ...

Oh Lord, Stuck In
Apr 17, 2012

apologies to CCR ...

DQ7 Is Stuck, Cannot Get Audio, Anyone Else?
Jul 25, 2012

nm ...

Uploading Job Is Stuck.
Nov 18, 2012