A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I guess I'm stuck in MT - hotflash

Posted: Jan 03, 2013

I failed another interview yesterday, and I'm not going to do anymore interviews.  When they start asking stuff like, how does your experience as a medical transcriptionist translate to this particular job, I'm stumped.  Among other questions. I have started building some other skills (like Excel), but I always end up looking like a complete idiot.  So I'm just gonna stick with MT until it goes away and then I'll go to the unemployment office and maybe they'll help me.

Don't - give up

[ In Reply To ..]
You didn't fail the interview. There are just so many people looking right now that it is hard for everybody. Don't be down on yourself, though it is hard not to. I apply for jobs that I can do blindfolded and can't even get an interview. I don't know what jobs you are applying for, but transcription experience is helpful in that you have to be discrete, accurate, able to search for information, great typing among other things. Bet the only one you looked like an idiot was, was yourself. We all do. Don't give up. Maybe take a break and then get back to it. That's what I do when I get frustrated. I try to think of it as the jobs that pass me up were not worth having anyway and the right job will come along. Good luck.

If a potential employer can't see your assets in an - interview, he wouldnt as an employee, either.

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree, that's a good way to look at the jobs that pass you up. The competition thing is also, sadly, very true. Back in the day, I would often not only be the best candidate they interviewed, but the ONLY candidate they interviewed! Now, when a couple hundred people apply for the same job, you can bet there are 15 or 20 "perfect fit" candidates, and then they can get picky, and choose one who lives the closest, is the youngest, has the highest educational level, or makes the best coffee.

I for - one

[ In Reply To ..]
don't interview well. I get very nervous. The jobs I have gotten, they were really sad to see me go. Some people do a job great, just don't do interviews well.
boy, that is me too. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
That statement above, "wouldn't as an employee either," really rings true. I do not feel a bit appreciated at my current job, and the initial interview 5 ys ago, the interviewer was very rude and haughty. Now, after further affronts, I have a cut in pay (as did many). I also feel I also just failed a recent interview, but hese posts have helped my perspective, so I thank you.
news!! yesterday I posted the above, "me too" - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
and today I just got called about that interview a week ago and they hired me!! It is for a hospital job, done from home, full benefits. Thank you Jesus!!
Congrats! - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Happy to hear your good news! Thanks for giving the rest of us some hope. Wishing you well on your new job in the New Year.
yes, there is hope. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I was so down yesterday, I could hardly talk without crying, combination of frustration with job and other things. But today the world changed for me. Appreciate the well-wishes. Hopefully the pendulum will swing back to more hospitals having their own MTs again.
p.s. How I found this job. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I've watched the newspapers and never saw any ads for transcriptionists, so I went directly to various nearby hospital's websites and found this job listed internally. Hopefully this might help someone else.
for me, I don't test well. get nervous, freeze up. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
and I always make lousy coffee! LOL!!! -nm - Meerkat
[ In Reply To ..]
I've recently discovered that VR editing has destroyed - my typing speed! Just failed a speed test. :(
[ In Reply To ..]
It was to get a typing certificate, but it was copy-typing. Who even copy-types anymore? Still, I feel completely demoralized....

Do you work at home? - Maggie May

[ In Reply To ..]
You can state that you are a self-starter, that you can work without supervision, able to focus on required tasks, you are organized, good with time management, attention to detail, lots of things if you just think about it. It's not just typing. :) Good luck to you.

What exactly does "self-starter" mean? I've never - really known if I am one, or not. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Self-starter - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you sit around and wait to be told what to do or do you take initiative and get things done that you know need to be done. A self-starter has initiative and takes a proactive approach to work/life/etc.
Aha! Thx for the definition! I guess I am one, for the - most part. ;)
[ In Reply To ..]

Stuck in MT - Me Too!

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, I could have written your post. I have applied at so many different places and heard nothing back, I don't do it anymore as well. It isn't a matter of giving up, it's reality. There are some jobs I see that sound really great and I could do them, so I read all the way down through all their requirments and see $8.75 an hour; at most $10.00. By the time you figure in gas, food, commute time, etc., it isn't worth it. If I am going to make $10 an hour, I might as well stay at home and do transcription. I am hanging by a thread, just like we all are. The whole work situation/economy is horrible. Our jobs have become almost obsolete, at least the good paying ones have. Thanks to M*Modal, et.al., they have killed this profession. Don't let the b---tards get you down.

Your transcription skills relate in that - you can make fast decisions (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
you can prioritize, you are in the customer service industry as you do everything in your power to help assure clients get the best quality report possible. You also need to be prompt and prioritize homelife and worklife. You easily transition from accounts and work under pressure to complete tasks.......

Ultimately, you say, I am able to work independently and I feel willpower is important. I'm also willing to learn new things and generally enjoy helping people.

Also, look at some of the job postings for an MT, then change the wording around in a general sense and read it to yourself. Take any profession you're applying for (within reason of course) and try that.

Good luck! Don't give up! You can do this!

I hadn't been using keywords because I wanted my - resume to be "different". But - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm come to the conclusion that was a mistake. I didn't stand out; instead, I didn't get past their resume-scanning software, and just went straight to the delete file.

Great to see such positive, encouraging posts - I was just passing through...

[ In Reply To ..]
And it is so great that you all provided such a boost to the original poster. You made me feel better because I am searching for a job, too, and positive vibes really help! Thanks!

Re: The question about how MT relates, that IS a - tough one. I just yesterday realized - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
that in order to get any interest from potential employers outside of MT, I was going to have to put more emphasis in my cover letter on just that - what the skills that allow me to be a good MT can translate to in other fields.

The right offer - will come along

[ In Reply To ..]
and you will know it when it happens. When they ask how your skills translate, explain how much this field has changed and how much you have adapted and why you are getting out. They will definitely be impressed by your persistence and flexibility.

Interviews - mt1347

[ In Reply To ..]
You have tremendous skills as an MT. You manage time, meet deadlines, perform your job accurately and speedily, do constant research on the internet, know which website to refer to for the terms you need - NIH, CDC, Steadman's, etc - you are extremely self disciplined with superb concentration and focus, highly computer literate, have awesome language skills - you can spell, punctuate and construct sentences appropriate to context - and you are family with dozens of foreign accents (which demonstrates your patience).

Similar Messages:

Stuck On QA
Jan 25, 2010

can somebody please tell me how the QA system is fair?  I have pointed out errors and had them acknowledged by the QA person on our team.  The stuff is so inconsistent.  I am in my THIRD month of QA and I've been doing dictation for 20+ years.  My 'mistakes' are only in formatting and BOS issues and I get counted off for some things and when I change to what the QA corrects me on - i get QA'd AGAIN for doing it the way they corrected me!  I have ...

Still Stuck On Who And Whom
Jan 17, 2011

Usually it is "the patient is a 65 year old lady who/whom we have seen in our office."  Help????? "She" is seen in our office or we see "her" in our office?  I am so dense on this one.  ...

Stuck Again.
Oct 01, 2014

Swell. ...

Stuck Again
Jan 21, 2015

wOW, did 7 jobs and now stuck in downloading again.  Everybody else back up and running.  I know this is not affecting everyone, just certain areas and I am one of the luck ones, NOT!  ...

Are We Down, Stuck
Apr 26, 2015

uploading and audio is stuck buffering ...

Anybody Else Stuck
Jun 05, 2015

?? TIA ...

Stuck On A Work
Jan 09, 2010

Lungs had had expiratory and inspiratory wheezing, which had breath sounds both high and low pitched.  There were no _________ changes.  He had no dullness to percussion. Sounds like "e tor ray" any ideas?? ...

DQS Stuck On Downloading A Job?
Feb 19, 2010

Anybody else just have DQS stuck on downloading a job?  Not that it matters much.  I have been on the very edge of NJA this evening and don't think that will last long before I'm out completely.  ...

Oh Lord, Stuck In
Apr 17, 2012

apologies to CCR ...

DQ7 Is Stuck, Cannot Get Audio, Anyone Else?
Jul 25, 2012

nm ...

Uploading Job Is Stuck.
Nov 18, 2012

Anybody Else Stuck In Upload?
Mar 28, 2013

I have 3 jobs stuck! Hope I don't lose them! With NJA, I need every line I can get!! ...

A Thought For Every MLS Stuck At
Aug 03, 2013

until they (we) can move on to a company, any company, that does not treat us like crap. I have had 3 different QC auditors go over the same difficult dictators to hit me hard on a post audit - each time it has backfired on them big time.  Not only do I challenge every single FIESA, I have actually copied and sent pages from BOS and my acct specs to prove they are clueless and the "errors" they found were manfactured.    I think ALL of us at the same time (pick a date conve ...

FEELING STUCK
Sep 19, 2014

I   f eel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.I've been at this job for over 20 years and my pay Has consistently declined, but for some reason I stick with it. I've had to move several times to find cheaper apartments because of the decline In pay.I lost my car and now I barely make minimum wage.I make too much for assistancebut nobody takes into account how much I pay in in health insurance.I would really like to change careers but how do I do that Whileworking f ...

Fluency Stuck - Anyone Else?
Nov 03, 2014

x ...

Stuck In Upload
Dec 14, 2014

Fluency Stuck?
Jan 21, 2015

nm ...

Am I The Only One Stuck In Upload?
Mar 01, 2015

Please crash, please crash, pretty please crash ...

Stuck In A Major Rut!!!!
Mar 05, 2015

I am making less and less at my at-home transcription job.  I have not been motivated at all lately, and I also never have enough work when I am motivated. I feel completely depressed.  I have rare occasions where I am excited about job searching and entering a new career and/or going to school, but then I seem to lose all hope and motivation.  My paychecks are no longer enough to support me.  I guess I'm just looking to rant to relieve some of my stress and hopefully so ...

Do You Feel Stuck In This Profession?
Sep 03, 2011

I'm feeling stuck and I just need to vent a little bit.  I have been a transcriptionist for 12 years and loved every minute of it until just the last couple of months.  I trained with the Q and really enjoyed that job.  Had a great supervisor and all was good.  I was offered an IC position with our local hospital making 0.16/line, 50 cpl with spaces.  Of course I grabbed that up.  This was 5 years ago.  2 years ago we got a new supervisor who made us all s ...

I Am Stuck In The Middle Of An Upload Nm
Jan 19, 2013

nm ...

It Is Beautiful Outside And I Am Stuck Inside W/NJA, Just Waiting
Apr 13, 2010

NM ...

Stuck On Word, 'right ? Abscess"
Oct 19, 2011

Doctor dictates: " He eventually underwent exploratory laparotomy and right hemicolectomy for a right (s/l colonic) abscess of unknown etiology." The patient has a left tibial plateau fracture. It s/l colonic but it also sounds as if it has a 'q' at the start of the word. I cannot make it out, and all my research has turned up nothing that would fit. Please help anyone??? ...

I Hate Voice Recognition But Am Stuck With It
Apr 15, 2014

I hate voice recognition but am stuck with it. I am collecting funny, ridiculous, and dangerous misadventures in voice recognition, particularly errors that actually eneded up in reports. Please submit if you have any good ones ...

Why Are Companies Stuck On Everyone Working 40 Hours A Week?
Mar 02, 2012

I've got great experience and when I'm scheduled to work, I'm there working.  What the hell difference does it make if I only want to be scheduled for 6 hours on four of my weekdays?  Would they rather I said I would work 8 hours and actually only work 6 like a lot of people? I'm willing to work 10 hours on Sunday, so we're talking 34 hours a week and more if I have the time, and I'm not asking for benefits.  I'm so sick of this job search.  ...

Stuck Between A Rock And A Hard Place (as Usual)
Jun 12, 2014

So QA keeps telling me to review the acct specs as I continue to format certain reports incorrectly.  Sigh.  I have looked and there is nothing in the acct specs that states anything about formatting, but yet if I say anything, I will be the "bad guy" so I am just going to keep quiet as much as I hate to.  I would rather be able to talk with them, but I have enough experience with these people to know how it will turn out:( ...

Shorthand Users, Do You Have Trouble With It Getting Stuck In All Caps? SM
Aug 22, 2014

For example,  I have my headings entered in as follows:  xpmh = PAST MEDICAL HISTORY: I will type my abbreviation and hit my space bar twice and while the abbreviation is still expanding, I will start my sentence, but if I hit the shift key and the first letter of the first word of my sentence too soon, I will get stuck in caps lock without the caps lock button being pushed.  Then if I hit shift and any letter (to capitalize), it will all be in lowercase as if caps lock is on, bu ...

The Wordlady Is Stuck... Remarkable For Sisters With Banrecklin-Hauser Syndrome
Dec 20, 2009

The doc spelled this but I googled and cannot find it anywhere, especially with the first part.  I don't have any idea what part of the body it is because she is just listing PMH.  Thanks for any thoughts or ideas. ...

Can Anybody Guess
Jan 04, 2012

Just came across this VR interpretation.  Can anybody guess what the doc was really saying "History of pepperoni she abandoned" ...

I Guess We Will Need At Least
Mar 09, 2014

Because the second TAA petition is about to expire, and as soon as we all get laid off, then we can get back to school.   ...