A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTSO/ICs - HIPPA compliance question - fullofquestions

Posted: Oct 13, 2009

If you have your own personal business or contract with a doctor's office, not working for an established company, what kind of things do you have to do to be HIPPA compliant? Do they actually go and inspect and/or question your business practices? Does your work get questioned through the doctor's office?

Does HIPPA give certifications and/or anything to tell a perspective client that you practice HIPPA compliance?

Are there any other legal things that someone should worry about when starting their own business? Other than billing/taxes/licences etc 

HIPAA - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
There is an actual HIPAA business associate's agreement that you should put in place with the client. It is your agreement to protect their patient's information, and I believe it is a requirement. And when you present it to your client, make sure you know the correct abbreviation!! It is Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act - HIPAA, not HIPPA. Not being snotty, just trying to let you know. I know a lot of people have heard of it but really don't know what it stands for so they abbreviate it improperly.

Duh! Thanks! ;-) nm - fullofquestions

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Detailed HIPPA Compliance Protocol
Nov 05, 2013

My company is making all ICs draw up their own to detailed HIPAA compliance processes and security protocols, provide proof of HIPAA and insurance compliance and have a signed Business Associate Agreement in place. They are also requiring that we have more than 1 company that we work for, to be considered an IC. Has anyone ever done this before? Any suggestions on where to start for drawing up the HIPPA protocols, etc? ...

Schedule Compliance
Jun 30, 2011

So, our CCM sent out an e-mail that she has received a directive that if we are not working our exact schedule, we are going to receive an oral warning and then be performance managed. If there is no work, we have to put in a Q-Care ticket or we will be performance managed. Remember when we first were pitched the idea of working at home? One of the points was that we could be flexible in our schedule. Now we are just slave wages on an assembly line with no deviation in schedule. Just anot ...

ICs And MTSOs. Are You In Compliance? Sm
Feb 03, 2012

ICs beware.  If your MTSO is found to be noncompliant by the IRS, you will be next in their crosshairs. http://erginc.com/pdfs/independent_contractors_20_questions.pdf ...

Schedule--compliance?
Feb 25, 2012

Has anyone on here ever been written up for not following schedule?  I know its important to follow but they out of the blue last summer called me up and said I had to change my schedule and I now have more evening hours.  I was already working on Sundays but anyway I used to work 2 hours in the eveings and would somehow like to get back to that instead of 4 hours.   CCm in my group sent out an email a short while ago stating if she found out people were not working schedule ...

MMODAL COMPLIANCE
Dec 06, 2013

What is with the compliance and audits and the threatening cloud above us to perform so many reports and lines in an hour and then have to be perfect in trying to accomplish goals that are unrealistic and unreasonable. It would be so nice to get an appreciation email or bonus once in a while instead of all this looming gloom. ...

S/l Lost Compliance In Breast?
Oct 01, 2010

She has some s/l lost compliance to the breast due to radiation but no discrete mass or nodule.  Has mild radiation changes to the skin. ...

How Do You Send NJA To Schedule Compliance - Never Heard Of Them!!
Sep 01, 2014

And I've NEVER done that! ...

Electronic Medical Records And HIPAA Compliance
Nov 30, 2011

My sister has recently taken on the task of medical record compliance at her husband's dental office.  They are electronic (just going that way), and she is trying to be HIPAA compliant.  I know this doesn't concern transcription, but I though maybe someone has an MR person in their office who could direct her to a blog, or website where she could get information.  Thanks! ...

HIPPA
Feb 28, 2010

I've just received a call from my supervisor advising me that because I cc'd the wrong physician on a report, that it is a HIPPA violation and I have been given a warning that if it happens again I am going to be fired.   I've been doing this job for 35 yrs and I have an excellent work history, ethic, etc.  I realize that HIPPA is very important and I "get it".  But if I lose my job over a lousy cc?   I'm devastated by this.  What has transc ...

HITECH/HIPPA
Nov 14, 2009

A few days ago the MTSO I work for informed us that it was even more important for us to be sure that the patient information in the demographics be accurate.  They went on to say that if an error was made, the patient would now be informed of this.  While I totally agree that at all times patient information, inculding DOB, MR number and other very important data be perfect every time, I can't help but wonder that if patients will be informed when this information is in error, w ...

HIPPA Violation?
Dec 22, 2009

I guess its not really something new, but as I was visiting a friend in the hospital yesterday a doc was sitting at the nurse's station just dictating away.  I clearly heard patient's name and identifying info and her entire medical history while standing outside the room waiting for nurse's to finish with my friend. ...

Has Anyone Got A HIPPA Violation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

Has Anyone Gotten A HIPPA Viloation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

HIPPA Certificate
Jun 26, 2011

Just wondering if any other MTs have have taken the new HIPPA compliance test?  ...

HIPPA And The Workforce
Mar 11, 2011

Does anyone know how the new HIPPA regulations affect us as employees?  I'm starting to read up on it, but it's confusing.  I understand the work station.  I understand that we are the workforce and I understand that the government is cracking down on electronic medical records.  Does anyone know anything else?  Thanks. ...

Is It Against HIPPA Protocol...
Nov 07, 2013

To email transcribed medical records? I'm training with a small company & she's having me email completed reports to the "manager." I think this is a HIPPA violation... ...

When We Took The HIPPA Course Not Long
Nov 21, 2013

ago and passed, do we become HIPPA certified and can we get a certificate to show we are certified? ...

HIPPA Testing
Jun 22, 2015

As an independent contractor has anyone had to take a HIPPA test to either start contracting or keep an existing contract with a company that you are transcribing for? ...

? About HIPPA And Privacy Laws
Jan 12, 2010

Is this more strict? or is it the same?  Am I freaking out for nothing new? According to some of those examples, I'm not even sure that normals and the repository are legal.  Doesn't it say that we are not allowed to save other records for examples?  And the fact that you can be fined if you ACCIDENTALLY see something or accidentally send something to the wrong doctor, which I know we have to be careful not to do, but what if it is the dictator who gives us the wron ...

MQ + HIPPA + ILPs = Hypocrisy?
Jan 12, 2010

Okay.  I just finished watching the videos and the HIPPA presentation.  Now that they've put the fear of God in all of us, just how the heck can the Q, with a straight face, suggest or promise to a health care provider that they (the Q) can assure the client the PHI can be guaranteed when sending work to a group of employees who live several continents away and who do not speak English as a primary language.   What a crock!!!!  How many health care providers know their ...

HIPPA/HITECH And Overseas MTs
May 07, 2010

How can any company be compliant with HITECH/HIPPA when they send work overseas. Isn't that a HIPPA violation and should the patient be notified that their personal information, diagnoses, history, SS#, in some cases home address, DOB, etc, is sometimes mentioned in reports and overseas MTs have access to it?  How can any company be compliant, especially with HITECH be compliant with these new laws, regulations, etc, when the patient is not aware their information is accessed overseas ...

HIPPA Compliant Site
Jun 26, 2010

Could somebody explain what this  means to me and also tell me what this would entail so that I would have some idea if I had a compliant site or not? Thanks ...

Has Anyone Ever Reported Someone For A HIPPA Violation? (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

The daughter of a friend of mine works in the clinic that I worked at for 18 years in medical records is known to read charts and then tell others about what she has read.  For example, someone who has an STD that she knows, she has told lots of friends about it and I have heard it myself.  Does anyone have any idea what happens when you report someone for a violation?  I am sure that they take the person's name who is reporting it but can you tell me what else is ...

TT And HIPPA And Nuance's Program.
Jun 13, 2011

Just finished hours worth of unpaid time in and out of programs to balance time sheets for the end of pay period and trying to figure out in and out of programs for 2 weeks with no work.   Now get the email to do the mandatory unpaid HIPPA testing, and still have not WORKED for my 4 cents.  Hummm, when do I want to do this test so I can feel even more hopeless, helpless and worthless?  ...

2013 HIPPA, How Does That Apply To ICs
Aug 25, 2013

Just saw a posting below where this year we would have a title of business associate instead of ICs. What does this mean to us in any way. I only know the very basics of HIPPA, not how this would differ now. Thanks. ...

HIPPA Compliant Email
Jul 31, 2014

What is a good HIPPA complaint email? Other than email, how do you send work to clients if not using an TASP? Thanks, Cathy ...

I Knew It. Our First HIPPA Lawsuit! Could Effect MT's.
Jan 26, 2010

I have GOT TO GET OUT OF THIS SWEAT SHOP SO CALLED PROFESSION!! Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal filed the lawsuit on January 12, 2010. In the complaint, Blumenthal alleges that last May a portable disk drive containing Personal Health Information (PHI), social security numbers, and bank account numbers from about 1.5 million customers disappeared while in transit between Connecticut and California. The company did not inform any gover ...

Question About HIPPA And Medical Records
Apr 15, 2011

My husband's father had a brain tumor many years ago (back when I first started dating him) and had surgery.  Unfortunately, the surgeon never stopped the bleeding completely before closing him up and waited too long to take him back to the OR, so he remained in a coma for numerous months until he passed away.  My husband's mother many years later also passed away.  My husband is starting to have periods of extreme forgetfullness and completely not remembering something ...

IC Jobs Being Eliminated Because Of New HIPPA Laws?
Aug 15, 2013

Is anyone elses company elminating IC jobs because of the new HIPPA laws?? We were told that the new laws effect all ICs and that we can either do all this paperwork and training to become a businness associate or become an employee, which for me means losing almost $600 a month in pay! ...

A New "Compliance" Coach? Makes Us Sound Like Parolees Being Closely
Jul 21, 2014

Wonder if we'll get an "ankle bracelet."  ...