A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IC jobs being eliminated because of new HIPPA laws? - Frustrated!

Posted: Aug 15, 2013

Is anyone elses company elminating IC jobs because of the new HIPPA laws?? We were told that the new laws effect all ICs and that we can either do all this paperwork and training to become a businness associate or become an employee, which for me means losing almost $600 a month in pay!

I don't know anything about this, but would - also like more info.

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm an IC who works as a subcontractor to another IC. I wonder if this will affect me.

meaningful use stage 2 - Lisa

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know much, but have heard "Meaningful Use Stage 2" part of the Affordable Care Act, makes it to where the doctor has to have the note the same day, which could change a few things, unless you work with people who type in real time. Plus Windows XP will not be able to be used after April because they will no longer provide security updates.

HIPAA - but

[ In Reply To ..]
You can do the paperwork and get the training and then you don't lose $600 a month in pay, right?

It's time for ICs to get on board -- YOU ARE RUNNING A BUSINESS. ACT LIKE IT.

its not that easy - frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
im sure it is not as easy as you are suggesting. They want way more than some paperwork and a HIPPA class. If it was that easy, dont you think they would be doing it?

It IS that easy - me too

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for one of the companies requiring this. But I already had 99% of the things in place because I knew that as an IC I was supposed to have them in place. I won't be losing any money. I won't be losing any sleep. It is that easy. I just dont get people who dont want to be accountable.
did you have to pay the company? - typist
[ In Reply To ..]
Ours is asking for $250 a year to work for them now, to help cover THEIR cost.

I'm so excited to become a business associate - in a dying field!

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, the opportunities are going to be overwhelming!

Not.

An IC is a Business Associate--always has been - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Anyone operating as an IC (whether directly or subbing for another IC) is a Business Associate. Just because they're finally cracking down on the requirements doesn't mean they're anything new. ICs have always owned their own business, been responsible for their own benefits, been responsible for their own liability insurance, SS payments, taxes, equipment, hours, training--everything a small business owner is responsible for. They're just getting in writing what has always been the case IMO.

exactly....just had to sign an agreement - with a new company

[ In Reply To ..]
in regard to this. Had to take HIPAA testing and pass. had to sign agreement as a business associate (their wording) which is basically an IC and stating the fact that we acknowledge having to pay our own taxes, etc. No big deal and should not cost anyone money.

Distinction between IC title and BA title these days - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The new contracts, mandated by the gov, specifically makes all business associates liable for errors and the consequences of those errors on down the line. Basically if you are an IC and you own your home, having retirement savings, etc., you better have liability insurance because your assets are at risk if the lawyers want to go for every possible dollar. As en employee you have the safety of the MTSO's insurance.
Business Associate Contracts $$$ - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
How much are you paying along with signing the contract? They are asking me to pay $250 a year.
no payment required with contract - whatwasthat
[ In Reply To ..]
The company I currently work for as a BA/IC just finished our HIPAA 'training' which is essentially the new rules EVERY IC MT has to comply with now, liability of noncompliance with PHI. No payment is required to comply and receive contract. If a company asks for money it's not legitimate.
includes your own attorney costs too (nm) - anon
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

? About HIPPA And Privacy Laws
Jan 12, 2010

Is this more strict? or is it the same?  Am I freaking out for nothing new? According to some of those examples, I'm not even sure that normals and the repository are legal.  Doesn't it say that we are not allowed to save other records for examples?  And the fact that you can be fined if you ACCIDENTALLY see something or accidentally send something to the wrong doctor, which I know we have to be careful not to do, but what if it is the dictator who gives us the wron ...

My Job Was Eliminated
Aug 16, 2013

Well, I just got a call and my job has been eliminated due to lack of work.  I am part-time flex (because of medical issues). Yes, I have had NO WORK for weeks or more, but the strange thing is the last few days, I have had work no matter what time I clock on.  I have been getting new hospitals (or rather new to me, not sure if new to MModal), and I thought COOL.  Well, just got a call from my supervisor that my position (part time flex) has been eliminated due to no work.&nb ...

CTL Positions Being Eliminated?
Nov 05, 2009

Heard a rumor that the CTL positions are being eliminated around the 15th.   Perhaps this is a question you should ask your CCMs/area directors?   Not sure if it is true but when asked specifically, it was not denied but there is something brewing around the 15th.   Seems like all CTLs will be moved to the MME positions and the CCMs will assume the CTL duties.  Sounds like another shake up at the Q which always happens around the holidays.  Wonder if ...

CTL Position Eliminated-TOLD YOU!
Nov 16, 2009

When this position was created, I told several on this board NOT TO APPLY for it because it would be eliminated like other positions they dream up.  YEP, just got word today it has been.  The CTLs will now be MMEs only.  UNBELIEVEABLE!!!  This company never ceases to amaze me!  Several days ago, someone said something was going to happen on 11/15, this was it!! ...

The Laws Of Transcription: Law # 387 -----
Nov 20, 2010

Law # 387 "The Blown Eardrum Factor": When you are faced with transcribing a report where the volume is so low that you can barely hear it, even with both your computer's volume and your transcription software's volume turned up AS HIGH AS IT WILL GO, it is an absolute certainty that you will have a dictator who coughs loudly into the microphone throughout the dictation. ...

Question: If New HIPAA Laws Are Going To Come Down
Dec 23, 2009

sending a copy of the report to the wrong doctor, what about sending all this work offshore?  What am I not understanding?  If sending a copy to the wrong Dr. Smith constitutes a huge breach of security, then sending people's health records and personal information offshore constitutes a GIGANTIC breach of security.    ...

Well, It Has Already Started, HIPAA Laws.
Feb 13, 2010

If we do not check our screen where patient name, info, attending, date of birth, blah blah blah is not correct or we did not check to make sure the dictator name is correct or attending name in the screen, of did not fill in attending or dictator for, this will have to be notified to HIPAA.  If company does not notify HIPAA that an MT made a mistake and did not correct patient name, dictator name, attending, etc., my company will be fined big time and possibly the MT too.  Honestly, ...

New Health Care Laws
Oct 05, 2010

With the new health care laws in the next 2 years, will IC become obsolete?  Won't these transcription companies be forced to provide health benefits and forced to have employees?  Or will they still be allowed to just hire us as IC's? ...

MedQuist And Antitrust Laws
Sep 19, 2011

Just for info, I filed complaints with my congressman and with the FTC about my concern about antitrust issues and MedQuist.  I think it is okay to include this link, I did not see anything about not posting links.  If it gets taken off or anything just go to the FTC home page and look under antitrust.  Maybe if everybody files complaints with their own congressional representatives and with the FTC also somebody will take it seriously.  Anyway, it can't hurt. http://ww ...

Bullying Bosses-New Criminal Laws
Jul 22, 2010

Below is the link to a TIME Magazine article, which details new laws being put into place to finally crack down on bullying bosses, criminalizing their abusive treatment toward employees.  It's about time!  The article could very well have been aimed at any number of MTSO's who have screamed, swore, berated, threatened, and even physically abused us.  During the past seven years of an "employer's market" economy, bullying employers have gott ...

Question About Labor Laws And IC Rights.
Nov 20, 2012

I had a check bounce from a client as I am an IC. I was wondering if I have any rights as to file a complaint with the DOL or the BBB? Any and all info. will be appreciated. TIA ...

Here Is Our Problem. It's The Labor Laws That Need Updated.
Nov 27, 2012

According to the US Dept of Labor, we are considered piecework employees.  Please see below from the US Dept of Labor website. Please note, this is now illegal in the garment industry, and this is why most garment manufacturers are overseas/outsourced. It is legal as long as the pay the employee receives adds up to at least minimum wage for all the hours they spend working, at any speed, slow or fast, and correctly and incorrectly.  Some economic experts say that, "An easi ...

More Pay Cuts? New QA Rules/laws/regulations?
Dec 30, 2012

Don't you just love the communication at Nuance? Just received an Email regarding new QA rules (new hoops to jump through for bonus), so disgusted I just deleted the message. Bringing the E5 *in line with the rest of NTS*? I don't want to know how much better and faster we are all supposed to be with WHATEVER technology you push out.... I just wanta say that some of you people in management had better learn to transcribe. And WTH is the learning module "Speak Hawaiian"....what ...

Confused About People Laid Off Part Time Flex, Thought Flex Position Was Eliminated Years Ago
Aug 17, 2013

I am part time but not flex. I wanted to go flex but my CCM told me that they no longer had flex positions available. This was probably 2 years ago.  How is everyone part time flex? ...

HIPPA
Feb 28, 2010

I've just received a call from my supervisor advising me that because I cc'd the wrong physician on a report, that it is a HIPPA violation and I have been given a warning that if it happens again I am going to be fired.   I've been doing this job for 35 yrs and I have an excellent work history, ethic, etc.  I realize that HIPPA is very important and I "get it".  But if I lose my job over a lousy cc?   I'm devastated by this.  What has transc ...

HITECH/HIPPA
Nov 14, 2009

A few days ago the MTSO I work for informed us that it was even more important for us to be sure that the patient information in the demographics be accurate.  They went on to say that if an error was made, the patient would now be informed of this.  While I totally agree that at all times patient information, inculding DOB, MR number and other very important data be perfect every time, I can't help but wonder that if patients will be informed when this information is in error, w ...

HIPPA Violation?
Dec 22, 2009

I guess its not really something new, but as I was visiting a friend in the hospital yesterday a doc was sitting at the nurse's station just dictating away.  I clearly heard patient's name and identifying info and her entire medical history while standing outside the room waiting for nurse's to finish with my friend. ...

Has Anyone Got A HIPPA Violation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

Has Anyone Gotten A HIPPA Viloation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

HIPPA Certificate
Jun 26, 2011

Just wondering if any other MTs have have taken the new HIPPA compliance test?  ...

HIPPA And The Workforce
Mar 11, 2011

Does anyone know how the new HIPPA regulations affect us as employees?  I'm starting to read up on it, but it's confusing.  I understand the work station.  I understand that we are the workforce and I understand that the government is cracking down on electronic medical records.  Does anyone know anything else?  Thanks. ...

Is It Against HIPPA Protocol...
Nov 07, 2013

To email transcribed medical records? I'm training with a small company & she's having me email completed reports to the "manager." I think this is a HIPPA violation... ...

When We Took The HIPPA Course Not Long
Nov 21, 2013

ago and passed, do we become HIPPA certified and can we get a certificate to show we are certified? ...

HIPPA Testing
Jun 22, 2015

As an independent contractor has anyone had to take a HIPPA test to either start contracting or keep an existing contract with a company that you are transcribing for? ...

MQ + HIPPA + ILPs = Hypocrisy?
Jan 12, 2010

Okay.  I just finished watching the videos and the HIPPA presentation.  Now that they've put the fear of God in all of us, just how the heck can the Q, with a straight face, suggest or promise to a health care provider that they (the Q) can assure the client the PHI can be guaranteed when sending work to a group of employees who live several continents away and who do not speak English as a primary language.   What a crock!!!!  How many health care providers know their ...

HIPPA/HITECH And Overseas MTs
May 07, 2010

How can any company be compliant with HITECH/HIPPA when they send work overseas. Isn't that a HIPPA violation and should the patient be notified that their personal information, diagnoses, history, SS#, in some cases home address, DOB, etc, is sometimes mentioned in reports and overseas MTs have access to it?  How can any company be compliant, especially with HITECH be compliant with these new laws, regulations, etc, when the patient is not aware their information is accessed overseas ...

HIPPA Compliant Site
Jun 26, 2010

Could somebody explain what this  means to me and also tell me what this would entail so that I would have some idea if I had a compliant site or not? Thanks ...

Has Anyone Ever Reported Someone For A HIPPA Violation? (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

The daughter of a friend of mine works in the clinic that I worked at for 18 years in medical records is known to read charts and then tell others about what she has read.  For example, someone who has an STD that she knows, she has told lots of friends about it and I have heard it myself.  Does anyone have any idea what happens when you report someone for a violation?  I am sure that they take the person's name who is reporting it but can you tell me what else is ...

TT And HIPPA And Nuance's Program.
Jun 13, 2011

Just finished hours worth of unpaid time in and out of programs to balance time sheets for the end of pay period and trying to figure out in and out of programs for 2 weeks with no work.   Now get the email to do the mandatory unpaid HIPPA testing, and still have not WORKED for my 4 cents.  Hummm, when do I want to do this test so I can feel even more hopeless, helpless and worthless?  ...

2013 HIPPA, How Does That Apply To ICs
Aug 25, 2013

Just saw a posting below where this year we would have a title of business associate instead of ICs. What does this mean to us in any way. I only know the very basics of HIPPA, not how this would differ now. Thanks. ...