A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

? about HIPPA and privacy laws - anon

Posted: Jan 12, 2010

Is this more strict? or is it the same?  Am I freaking out for nothing new? According to some of those examples, I'm not even sure that normals and the repository are legal.  Doesn't it say that we are not allowed to save other records for examples?  And the fact that you can be fined if you ACCIDENTALLY see something or accidentally send something to the wrong doctor, which I know we have to be careful not to do, but what if it is the dictator who gives us the wrong name or number? Seems like it is saying we are held accountable regardless.  Even the doctor who accidentally receives the report is held responsible.  Some of it seems ridiculous to me.  I am seriously, seriously getting tired of all of the hoops we have to jump through for this job.  And, bty, the only reason I even went to look at it is because of some posts on here.  I did not receive any email from anyone telling me to do so. Didn't see anything on MQCentral about it.  Guess my question is, am I overreacting?

Well, several months ago, I send a CC to the - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
wrong doctor when the dictator DID give me incorrect/incomplete information. I got a call from my then CCM and she went on and on for 1 full hour about the severity of this, I got written up, threatened that I would be fired if it happened again, etc. I told her I understand the severity and I do take some of the responsibility (I guess) but isn't the dictator also held accountable? She had no answer for that. I had to sign something and it went on my record. So, from then on, I never sent a CC using the database; I just typed it in manually. Time consuming, yes, but it covers my butt. I am starting to resent having to do that though.

We do NOT get paid enough to have this kind of responsiblity. Heck, we don't get PAID AT ALL to enter CC. Which I think is a big crock of you know what that we can be threatened with firing for a task we don't even get paid to do.

I think the samples in the repository have all the identifying info blocked out, though.

Wrong information given for cc - Just passing through

[ In Reply To ..]
If the dictator does not give FULL name, first and last (which they rarely do), I type it as dictated and leave a note. I have been told not to leave notes for this, but I told them I would continue to do so as long as I am being held accountable for dictator not giving enough information to assure correct name on cc and that if I cannot leave a note then I will not put anything on the cc list unless I am absolutely positive it is the correct name.

HIPPA test notice was in MQ Central news section, - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
but who has the time to read that. I only read the MQ news if something catches my eye. They certainly have not been consistent with MQ Express (email summarizing the news). I've only received a couple since they bragged about doing this for us. I can't remember if they sent an official email about HIPPA testing, but my CCM sent out notice to take the test when the news first came out. I've got a good CCM and certainly hope to keep her. I'm sure, with the CTL position gone, she has at least twice as much work as I know, before this position, her work load had increased as they have to do personal client support which was done by another department which MQ got rid of.

I AM SO GLAD YOU POSTED THIS!! - FREAKED ME OUT WITH THE VIDEOS!

[ In Reply To ..]
YOU HAVE TO GO OVER THE STATE PRIVACY LAW VIDEOS UNDER THE HIPPA TEST. It is required.

MQ did not give full info about the HIPPA test. You have to call MQ lawyers now and ask them questions and there is a number they give at the end of the HIPPA test.

The HIPPA law HAS CHANGED and made it even worse for MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONISTS.

After taking the HIPPA test, we are required to go over the video of State Privacy Laws which is right under the HIPPA test. IT FREAKED ME OUT COMPLETELY! The examples, OH MY GOSH!

YOU CAN EASILY AND I MEAN EASILY GET FIRED AND PAY A 2,500 FINE OR EVEN WORSE, 25,000 FINE. Yes, MQ covers some of the costs, but you can still get fined for typing out a fax number and accidentally getting 2 digits wrong. You know how it can be with the kids bugging you, phone ringing, someone at the door, or husband asking where is my food. Hahaha.

The post above who explained what happened to them a few months ago will now be fired along with the manager and will be fined 2,500 for it.

I FEEL REALLY SORRY FOR OUR MANAGERS AS THEY HAVE IT THE WORST.

Yes, I am all for the laws and some of it is obvious like do not look into movie stars medical records or sell info to make money. But some of the examples? OH MY GOSH! YOU HAVE TO SEE THE VIDEO.

I even posted down below about this situation. I immediately called my husband after seeing the video and was so upset that I got my panties all tied in knots. I stated in previous post "BETTER NOT HAVE ANY ENEMIES." My husband wants me to talk to a lawyer about all this and our home insurance about the computer and what to do.

I see a lot of twisted things are going to happen in the future with this new HIPPA law. The lawyers are going to have a field day with this.

I DO NOT GET PAID ENOUGH FOR THIS JOB! AND NOW I HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING FIRED AND ESPECIALLY, PAYING ANYWHERE FROM A 2,500 FINE TO A 250,000 FINE? NO THANKS, I HAVE HAD ENOUGH.

So I am through with medical transcription. I was so happy about this TAA, but I think it is a dream come true. I want to go back to school and do something much better in this world then be punished for being a medical transcriptionist. I have been doing this over 20 years and FED UP WITH IT ALL.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL IN THE FUTURE!!!

I agree. I am also worried about being fired and - paying a 2,500 fine or worse, 25,000 fine.

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not think a lot of MT's have watched the videos, if they did, they would be all over this board discussing it.

video - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Please explain how to get to video on MQCentral. Thx!

HOW TO GET TO VIDEO FOR THE FINES YOU WILL PAY - 2,500-250,000 and can easily get fired.

[ In Reply To ..]
Go to MQCentral
Departments
Human Resources
Learning and Development
Employee orientation
Legal Awareness
Down at bottom of page "STATE PRIVACY LAWS" Right under the HIPPA test that does not really tell you anything, but the examples of the video sure as heck does!!!!

Susan's video and what about Tammy's video? Yep, that freaked me out. Just need someone to twist things and boom, you are fired and fined. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!
fines - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I am more concerned about what an MME may put in my report once I've sent it and if that will someone come back on me. I always leave notes when doc/fax/etc. info is very limited such as cc to Dr. Smith. I am beginning to love verbatim accounts because at least there might be some accountability with the doctors and their cc or addressee info.
I have the same fear. - I have seen
[ In Reply To ..]
my reports changed by MME before and the changes were incorrect. I always email my CCM regarding this to cover my butt.

MQ - oldone

[ In Reply To ..]
I have never worked for Medquist. They tried to hire me twice over the years but thankfully something good came along in that same time frame. How DO these people stay in business. MQ sounds horrible, horrible, horrible...especially when we read posts where folks who have been with them 10 years are now leaving. Can something be done about a company like this?

You are not overreacting. - By manager, in an email,

[ In Reply To ..]
Stated to do the HIPPA test and then we were required to do the State Privacy Law. After looking at the videos of State Privacy Law, I was waiting for something to state that I finished it and it was okayed or checked off, but nothing.

I think MQ is a bit worried we would all panic like we are now and frankly, after watching the videos, who wouldn't!

There used to be "errors and omissions" insurance available - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
I was made aware of this when I started for YOG in 1992...most of the accounts were in California (a very litigious state). This was before HIPAA, though. If you are really worried, you might check into it. Unfortunately, I think it was primarily offered through The Association of Self Important Overgrandized Old Biddies, aka, AHDI.

OMG tooooo funny, but true (ADHI). Old Yogger here too. - Bunion

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the joy.

Love
Bun

Thank you for your responses. So its not just me. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe if I cared more I would look into insurance or whatever, but I think this is the last straw. I can't work like that. I think of myself a good transcriptionist. Not the fastest, but accurate and I've been doing this a really long time. I'm already burned out and this is just one last thing. I don't work for free and if I were to be fined for something stupid thats exactly what I would be doing. This burns me up cause I really hate change! Thanks for letting me vent.

I am in the same boat! This is my last straw too! - I feel EXACTLY the way you are feeling about all t

[ In Reply To ..]
I have enough and REALLY, REALLY want to go to school do something else. I cannot possibly live in fear anymore. I am glad you posted.

Similar Messages:

IC Jobs Being Eliminated Because Of New HIPPA Laws?
Aug 15, 2013

Is anyone elses company elminating IC jobs because of the new HIPPA laws?? We were told that the new laws effect all ICs and that we can either do all this paperwork and training to become a businness associate or become an employee, which for me means losing almost $600 a month in pay! ...

Privacy
Feb 12, 2011

this is what I don't understand. I was reading the posts below about MTs computers and companies who have inserted programs giving them the ability to see what is on your/their computer. with all the fuss about privacy, why do we have none?  I had to have a background investigation for my job, my computer belongs to the company yet I pay the huge fee every month for the internet to connect it, there are probably all kinds of spy devices on it so they can easily see everything on the P ...

HIPAA??? Privacy??? Texas???
Oct 06, 2010

And they DARE to threaten US with HIPAA??  What a crashing joke!! http://www.theaustinbulldog.org/index.php/Main-Articles/Main-Articles/department-of-state-health-services.html     ...

Google's New Privacy Policy
Mar 01, 2012

Now that Google has implemented its new privacy policy, do you still use it to research medical terms? ...

The Laws Of Transcription: Law # 387 -----
Nov 20, 2010

Law # 387 "The Blown Eardrum Factor": When you are faced with transcribing a report where the volume is so low that you can barely hear it, even with both your computer's volume and your transcription software's volume turned up AS HIGH AS IT WILL GO, it is an absolute certainty that you will have a dictator who coughs loudly into the microphone throughout the dictation. ...

Question: If New HIPAA Laws Are Going To Come Down
Dec 23, 2009

sending a copy of the report to the wrong doctor, what about sending all this work offshore?  What am I not understanding?  If sending a copy to the wrong Dr. Smith constitutes a huge breach of security, then sending people's health records and personal information offshore constitutes a GIGANTIC breach of security.    ...

Well, It Has Already Started, HIPAA Laws.
Feb 13, 2010

If we do not check our screen where patient name, info, attending, date of birth, blah blah blah is not correct or we did not check to make sure the dictator name is correct or attending name in the screen, of did not fill in attending or dictator for, this will have to be notified to HIPAA.  If company does not notify HIPAA that an MT made a mistake and did not correct patient name, dictator name, attending, etc., my company will be fined big time and possibly the MT too.  Honestly, ...

New Health Care Laws
Oct 05, 2010

With the new health care laws in the next 2 years, will IC become obsolete?  Won't these transcription companies be forced to provide health benefits and forced to have employees?  Or will they still be allowed to just hire us as IC's? ...

MedQuist And Antitrust Laws
Sep 19, 2011

Just for info, I filed complaints with my congressman and with the FTC about my concern about antitrust issues and MedQuist.  I think it is okay to include this link, I did not see anything about not posting links.  If it gets taken off or anything just go to the FTC home page and look under antitrust.  Maybe if everybody files complaints with their own congressional representatives and with the FTC also somebody will take it seriously.  Anyway, it can't hurt. http://ww ...

Bullying Bosses-New Criminal Laws
Jul 22, 2010

Below is the link to a TIME Magazine article, which details new laws being put into place to finally crack down on bullying bosses, criminalizing their abusive treatment toward employees.  It's about time!  The article could very well have been aimed at any number of MTSO's who have screamed, swore, berated, threatened, and even physically abused us.  During the past seven years of an "employer's market" economy, bullying employers have gott ...

Question About Labor Laws And IC Rights.
Nov 20, 2012

I had a check bounce from a client as I am an IC. I was wondering if I have any rights as to file a complaint with the DOL or the BBB? Any and all info. will be appreciated. TIA ...

Here Is Our Problem. It's The Labor Laws That Need Updated.
Nov 27, 2012

According to the US Dept of Labor, we are considered piecework employees.  Please see below from the US Dept of Labor website. Please note, this is now illegal in the garment industry, and this is why most garment manufacturers are overseas/outsourced. It is legal as long as the pay the employee receives adds up to at least minimum wage for all the hours they spend working, at any speed, slow or fast, and correctly and incorrectly.  Some economic experts say that, "An easi ...

More Pay Cuts? New QA Rules/laws/regulations?
Dec 30, 2012

Don't you just love the communication at Nuance? Just received an Email regarding new QA rules (new hoops to jump through for bonus), so disgusted I just deleted the message. Bringing the E5 *in line with the rest of NTS*? I don't want to know how much better and faster we are all supposed to be with WHATEVER technology you push out.... I just wanta say that some of you people in management had better learn to transcribe. And WTH is the learning module "Speak Hawaiian"....what ...

HIPPA
Feb 28, 2010

I've just received a call from my supervisor advising me that because I cc'd the wrong physician on a report, that it is a HIPPA violation and I have been given a warning that if it happens again I am going to be fired.   I've been doing this job for 35 yrs and I have an excellent work history, ethic, etc.  I realize that HIPPA is very important and I "get it".  But if I lose my job over a lousy cc?   I'm devastated by this.  What has transc ...

HITECH/HIPPA
Nov 14, 2009

A few days ago the MTSO I work for informed us that it was even more important for us to be sure that the patient information in the demographics be accurate.  They went on to say that if an error was made, the patient would now be informed of this.  While I totally agree that at all times patient information, inculding DOB, MR number and other very important data be perfect every time, I can't help but wonder that if patients will be informed when this information is in error, w ...

HIPPA Violation?
Dec 22, 2009

I guess its not really something new, but as I was visiting a friend in the hospital yesterday a doc was sitting at the nurse's station just dictating away.  I clearly heard patient's name and identifying info and her entire medical history while standing outside the room waiting for nurse's to finish with my friend. ...

Has Anyone Got A HIPPA Violation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

Has Anyone Gotten A HIPPA Viloation
Apr 07, 2010

Has anyone else gotten a HIPPA violation for referencing old reports when typing an ESL ? ...

HIPPA Certificate
Jun 26, 2011

Just wondering if any other MTs have have taken the new HIPPA compliance test?  ...

HIPPA And The Workforce
Mar 11, 2011

Does anyone know how the new HIPPA regulations affect us as employees?  I'm starting to read up on it, but it's confusing.  I understand the work station.  I understand that we are the workforce and I understand that the government is cracking down on electronic medical records.  Does anyone know anything else?  Thanks. ...

Is It Against HIPPA Protocol...
Nov 07, 2013

To email transcribed medical records? I'm training with a small company & she's having me email completed reports to the "manager." I think this is a HIPPA violation... ...

When We Took The HIPPA Course Not Long
Nov 21, 2013

ago and passed, do we become HIPPA certified and can we get a certificate to show we are certified? ...

HIPPA Testing
Jun 22, 2015

As an independent contractor has anyone had to take a HIPPA test to either start contracting or keep an existing contract with a company that you are transcribing for? ...

MQ + HIPPA + ILPs = Hypocrisy?
Jan 12, 2010

Okay.  I just finished watching the videos and the HIPPA presentation.  Now that they've put the fear of God in all of us, just how the heck can the Q, with a straight face, suggest or promise to a health care provider that they (the Q) can assure the client the PHI can be guaranteed when sending work to a group of employees who live several continents away and who do not speak English as a primary language.   What a crock!!!!  How many health care providers know their ...

HIPPA/HITECH And Overseas MTs
May 07, 2010

How can any company be compliant with HITECH/HIPPA when they send work overseas. Isn't that a HIPPA violation and should the patient be notified that their personal information, diagnoses, history, SS#, in some cases home address, DOB, etc, is sometimes mentioned in reports and overseas MTs have access to it?  How can any company be compliant, especially with HITECH be compliant with these new laws, regulations, etc, when the patient is not aware their information is accessed overseas ...

HIPPA Compliant Site
Jun 26, 2010

Could somebody explain what this  means to me and also tell me what this would entail so that I would have some idea if I had a compliant site or not? Thanks ...

Has Anyone Ever Reported Someone For A HIPPA Violation? (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

The daughter of a friend of mine works in the clinic that I worked at for 18 years in medical records is known to read charts and then tell others about what she has read.  For example, someone who has an STD that she knows, she has told lots of friends about it and I have heard it myself.  Does anyone have any idea what happens when you report someone for a violation?  I am sure that they take the person's name who is reporting it but can you tell me what else is ...

TT And HIPPA And Nuance's Program.
Jun 13, 2011

Just finished hours worth of unpaid time in and out of programs to balance time sheets for the end of pay period and trying to figure out in and out of programs for 2 weeks with no work.   Now get the email to do the mandatory unpaid HIPPA testing, and still have not WORKED for my 4 cents.  Hummm, when do I want to do this test so I can feel even more hopeless, helpless and worthless?  ...

2013 HIPPA, How Does That Apply To ICs
Aug 25, 2013

Just saw a posting below where this year we would have a title of business associate instead of ICs. What does this mean to us in any way. I only know the very basics of HIPPA, not how this would differ now. Thanks. ...

HIPPA Compliant Email
Jul 31, 2014

What is a good HIPPA complaint email? Other than email, how do you send work to clients if not using an TASP? Thanks, Cathy ...