A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Long term health risks of Medical Transcription? - Neesy

Posted: Jul 10, 2012

I am a Canadian medical transcriptionist. I have been doing this job for seven years now and I really enjoy it. The thing is though is that I used to be in the military for 21 years and went to the gym every day. I had a much more active job. So I do find that after seven years of sitting down for 8 hours per day that I have put on about 20 lbs. I started going back to the gym after work as we have one at this hospital. It only opened a couple of years ago. What do others think about this? Do you think sitting for long periods is bad for your long term health?

I think it is pretty much proven now that - sitting for long periods is not

[ In Reply To ..]
conducive to great health. The good news is just taking short breaks standing up helps counter the bad effects. In fact, the other day I heard something on the radio about how stand-up desks are now becoming popular, so maybe we could fix up something like that for at least part of our work day.

I tried that; it didn't work for me - sadMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I bought an adjustable desk because I got tired of sitting all day. You push a button to raise and lower the height. The problem was the foot pedal. After a few minutes of basically standing on one foot while the other one worked the pedal, my foot got sore and I went back to sitting. That desk is now in storage in the spare room until I figure out what to do with it.

As for the weight gain, yes, I've had that problem, too. I've gained 1-2 pounds per year since I've been transcribing. Doesn't sound like much, but after a dozen years of this it's really starting to become a problem (and now menopause isn't helping!). Time for me to get busy and since I seem to be always running out of work lately, it looks like I actually do have time to work out!

Here is a link for some info - noner

[ In Reply To ..]

I can't find the original article I read on this last year, but this one has some of the info.  Basicallly apparently what is being found is people who sit prolonged periods of time for their jobs, no matter what level of exercise they engage in otherwise, puts them at increased risk for all kinds of disease.  I also wonder about blood clots from sitting in one position all day.

Here is the original article I read last year - noner

[ In Reply To ..]

I found it, had sent it to a friend.  They believe they are finding prolonged sitting in and of itself is a big promoter of some cancers, etc. 

Sitting - Neesy

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for that article. I read it all and I will try to set a timer to remind me to get up and move around every 60 minutes at the least. I found it a bit funny that the person they quoted was called "Bender" (it reminded me of Futurama!) I am also finding menopause is affecting my ability to lose weight (as the other girl mentioned) so I am going back on Weight Watchers (on my own) so I will look good in Mexico in January 2013 when my oldest son gets married :-)
Besides sitting being bad for us... - (see message)
[ In Reply To ..]
...I find that besides the weight-gain issue, sitting and transcribing all day also puts us at risk for eye strain, neck strain, shoulder pain, wrist pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, back pain, hearing loss....and, one could argue, maybe even personality loss!!! (haha...just kidding on that last one...or am I??) :-D

Four years ago, one of my fellow MTs and I joined WeightWatchers together. It really helped having a friend who was doing it with me, but we both had tremendous success. I had to really add to my daily walking exercise (made time for a good, brisk, 2-mile walk at least 5 days a week) and became much more aware of portion sizes.

I lost just over 40 pounds within 6 months and, best of all, have kept it off all this time! It does take awareness of what you put in your mouth to keep it off; but I found that after I lost all that weight, I WANTED to stay slim and healthy, so I actually love to eat healthy now.

A stressful job situation doesn't help with weight problems, either.
Thanks! - Neesy
[ In Reply To ..]
Good for you! I admire your tenacity and I agree that if you have a good buddy to help you in your weight loss and fitness etc. that it makes all the difference :-) I have to go for a fitness assessment at the gym and it has been two years since the last one. I just hope I can do as well as you did and keep it off too :-)
You can do it, Neesy! - :-) see message
[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck with your fitness assessment. I hope you have great success....it's worth the work and effort it takes to feel so much better in the long-term.

I would advise you -- don't overdo your workout regimen. A lot of people jump in too aggressively and then, after they lose the weight, can't keep up that routine and gain the weight back. That's why my 2-mile walks have worked so well for me....it's not overly excessive or time-consuming (takes me about 30 minutes to walk it fairly briskly), costs basically nothing (I walk either in my neighborhood or on the walking/jogging trail at a nearby park or at the mall when the weather is too hot or cold outside), and I can keep it up no matter where I am.

Wishing you great success in your weight-loss endeavor!
You're welcome... - noner
[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's a very good idea for everyone involved in this occupation to get up and move at least every hour. I see this as a legitimate issue, especially for those of us who are employees and required to sit for hours on end "hands on the keyboard" with no break allowed until whatever time limit is set. Not good considering the multiple and severe health risks associated, including the info in this article and others related.

Insanity. nm. - deenibeeni

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Medical Transcription Has Come A Long Way
Mar 06, 2010

In 1972 we were clerk-typists paid by the hour. We used IBM typewriters, paper, carbon paper, and white out. We could ask the doctors any questions to help clarify their dictations. We could use the medical reference library to research topics we needed to learn about. We could request patient's chart from medical records to check out any reports we needed. If there was no work, we could go the observation area in the OR and watch procedures or view tapes of procedures to familiar ...

Medical Transcription - Health Insurance For A New Employee At The 30-day Or 60-day Mark?
Mar 01, 2010

Anyone know of a company who starts health insurance  for a new employee at the 30-day or 60-day mark? ...

Not A Medical Term, A Descriptive Term I Think
Jun 04, 2012

In the general portion of the physical exam the blank sounds like visily. She is a happy little girl sitting in mother's lap, grinning at me, and _____ eating Cheetos. ...

Long-term Vs Long Term
Mar 08, 2011

Which one is the correct way... .....secondary to what appears to be avascular necrosis for long term steroid use. ...

Has Anyone Been On Long Term Disability
Feb 06, 2010

For the past week I've been on PTO because of terrible vertigo/nausea, apparently caused by labyrinthitis.   My vision is so blurry from the meds I'm on that I have to have my daughter type this for me.  Without the 3 different meds I'm on I am in hell, with them I am barely functional bc of the side effects of the meds (which are still better than the horror show carnival ride of vertigo.   My PTO will run out on Sunday and I know this is going to take a ...

Reliance Standard Short- And/or Long-term Disability Claims.
Jan 02, 2013

Has anyone had the misfortune to file a disability claim through your employer with this company?  On 11/19/12 HR at my employer sent them my paperwork and said it would take 7 days for a decision.  No decision yet and HR has not followed up, so I'm hung out to dry.  I have had to call Reliance constantly wanting to know what's going on and it's one excuse after another, making them and my employer look totally incompetent.  If you're paying for short- or ...

Medical Term - Help!
Sep 30, 2013

I have a witness talking about a viral component he got while on a cruise.  He calls it Minoltra Bartlett Syndrome (phonetic).  I'm pretty sure he is saying Barlett Syndrome but having trouble with the spelling and what he is talking about.  Any suggestions?  Thank you! ...

Medical Term
Jun 08, 2014

Has anyone heard of the term "postoperative lent"?   ...

Medical Term Pesos
Dec 20, 2009

I have a Spanish speaking doctor with a 19 month old child.  He is referring to the term "pesos" as a medical term.  The sentence is "The youngest the child really had severe "pesosi" was on 2 days prior to admission.  Any idea?  How about folks in California and Texas?  Thank you so much.  Have a great day.  Hope at least some of you are in warm weather.  We just got a ton of snow dumped on us in Ohio and it's about 25 degrees Fahrenheit.  ...

Cannot Understand The Medical Term
May 03, 2013

??? (s/l "detrology flow" status post ventricular septal defect patch and infundibulum repair. thank you very much!! ...

Medical Term Normoreflexive
Sep 30, 2014

Is This A Medical Term Or Drug Name And How Do You Spell It?
Mar 17, 2010

Okay, I have no idea what this doctor is saying or how you spell it so bear with me....it sounds like....asetasala silate....It may be something totally obvious but I am at a loss. TIA! ...

Not A Medical Term - Which ? To The Emergency Room
Oct 19, 2010

The patient had a bout of renal colic which _____ for an ER visit.  I'm hearing "com___".  I would imagine it means necessitating a visit to the ER, but I'm stumped on words that s/l com---- ...

Non-medical Term In Breast Cancer Note
Oct 17, 2010

She was born in France ... she is not of s/l osteanozzie Jewish background.  I am completely flummoxed and searched out.  Anyone know? Thanks. ...

"Hiring Freelance Writers For A Long-term Project" (sm)
Mar 22, 2014

Is this a joke or have the MTSOs given us a reputation for low-income-workers?!?!?!? This job is to research products and write a 40 page review for .10 cents per review?!?!?! You can write up to 50 reviews a day. Wow! 5 bucks a day! ...

Health Insurance For Medical Transcriptionist
Oct 28, 2009

I was wondering for all of you MTs who work full-time from home, what health insurance does your company provide you and your family with and how much do you pay out of pocket? I work for a company (will not mention the name) and pay $62 per pay period (for just me) which I didn't think was so bad - BUT i just found out I have a $3500 calender year deducible and will have to pay 35% of hospital fees if admitted (which I will be in 2010). So besides paying the $62 monthly, I will be paying $ ...

Health Insurance For Self-employed Medical Transcriptionist
Feb 18, 2011

My husband is 6 years old than I am and retiring and starting Medicare in couple months.  I have always been on his insurance.  Anyone have any good leads to health insurance for us self-employed types.  Thanks. ...

Command Health Vs TransTech Medical Solutions
Jan 05, 2014

Can anyone who works at either of these places give me more info on them? I need to know which one to go with... Both have Oncology openings, so it would be for those accounts. I'd like to earn more this year with a better company than the lousy 15K I just earned this year. The company I'm with now is nice and has treated me well in all aspects, but the low pay isn't working out for me. I'd like to know things about these companies such as pay, line requirements, straight ...

Will More People With Health Insurance = More Medical Coding And Billing Jobs?
Jun 29, 2012

The people I know who will now be getting medical insurance will obviously now go to the doctor when they get sick. It makes sense to me that there will be more coding and more billing, right? That's a good thing for us I think. ...

Article Link - How Long Will We Tolerate Our Medical Records Being Hacked?
Aug 04, 2011

Fuzzy wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy wuzzy had no hair. Fuzzy wuzzy really wasn't fuzzy wuzzy? http://www.latimes.com/la-fi-cyber-attacks-20110804,0,7350113.story ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

I Take It No One Has Heard Of Accretive Health Transcription
Aug 29, 2012

thanks ...

Does Command Health Have Any Straight Transcription
Oct 15, 2014

Was thinking of applying but trying to remember, I think someone said they don't do straight type anymore? ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Has Anyone Heard Of Accretive Health (transcription Division)
Aug 28, 2012

Our in-house Transcription Dept was outsourced to them. ...

Medical Term For "burning With Urination"
Mar 15, 2010

Is there a Latin or Greek combination meaning "burning with urination"?? I hear the doctor dictate a term ending in -uria, but can't get the playback clear enough to hear the first part. She also refers to dysuria, and earlier had mentioned burning with unrination. I can't find anything that fits. Thanks!! ...

Part-time Transcription Opportunity In Mental Health Clinic/Bronx, NY
Sep 25, 2013

Wednesdays and Thursdays only. Must have medical terminology, knowledge of ICD-V codes, fast typing, Spanish speaking very helpful. Send resume to Samantha G. at 212-481-9582. ...

Please Refer To Medical Record On "health 2".
Mar 17, 2011

It seems to be some sort of electronic medical record program??  Can't document. ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...