A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTs Will Make the Best Scribes - Joe

Posted: Sep 05, 2013

There is a budding new profession, for which MTs will be perfect.  It's explained in an article at http://smartype.com/id12.html.  Both the demand and the pay for transcription are dropping precipitously.  It's a good time to consider a career transition.  The tough part will be finding physicians who recognize that their lives will be immensely better if they have YOU doing all their EHR documentation...and that it's easily worth $40K per year.

All ads I've seen are far less than "easily" $40,000 a year. (nm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
x

scribes - diana

[ In Reply To ..]
All the places in my area that have jobs posted for medical scribes require you to be at least a CNA and be certified in CPR, etc., because you are in the room with the patient. The doctors may think you would be worth it, but the doctors have no say anymore. Now, if they every offer these positions remotely and do not require you to be a med student or CNA, or such then I would apply in a heartbeat.

I would do it - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I would love to do this - where do I sign up? I would even go back to school to get my CNA for a $40K salary. I already have the CPR certification for health care workers. I have clinical experience as well as transcription experience in my background having been a medical assistant in the past. I would do it either remotely or at the office. I think the pre-med scribes are mainly interested in being in the ER anyway for the acute care experience. This sounds more like clinic scribing.
Every ad I have seen posted for - a medical scribe
[ In Reply To ..]
be it either remotely or in-office, has paid $8 an hour or less. Not my idea of a "career!" They are fluffing the $40K range considerably. No doctor or hospital is going to pay that amount to have someone enter point and click info into EMR.
Joe's description seemed more comprehensive - Leaving MT
[ In Reply To ..]
His article talked about the position being more comprehensive than just pointing and clicking data into an EMR, and I would not be qualified for what he describes unless I got some training. If there is such a position as a medical care coordinator, as it is described in the article, and if it did pay accordingly, I would love to train for it.
The training is available...but the positions aren't yet - Joe
[ In Reply To ..]
An MT can be trained in about 2 weeks to become a proficient Medical Coordinator (remote scribe). See www.valadoc.com. But it doesn't make sense to go through the training until you have a physician who wants you to be her/his MC. Then the physician pays for the training.

Even though the relatively small number of physicians currently using an MC are ecstatic and perfectly happy to pay something like $30K plus benefits, it's been difficult to convince others to jump on board. If you have a prospective physician partner, you might want to direct her/him to the website linked above and/or to the article at http://smartype.com/id12.html

Impressive - Leaving MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I would not be surprised if there is a niche market for this service, especially if you are able to use it with any EMR. It might be hard to convince hospital administration overseeing doctors' offices that it is worthwhile, but there are still a few docs who choose to remain independent.

I have always worked for an MTSO, so I have no connections with physicians other than one in my cycling club. I don't know if he is in private practice or not.
Medical Scribes - going..going..gone
[ In Reply To ..]
I am fortunate enough to have a 2nd job transcribing for a local cardiology group at 13 cpl. They have recently been bought by a corporation and the corporation has been trying to get the docs to do voice rec but most have been around a long time and resistant and have kept the MTs (one 25+ years with them) working. The writing is on the wall though, it's all about the bottom line, and the latest term being tossed about is scribe. The MT with the 25+ years was offered a scribe position by the office manager and she said "I'm not going backwards in pay" and just got a blank stare in return. I told her from my knowledge scribes maybe make 9/hr. I've been certain all along the once a corporation buys these guys out, they really have no say regarding transcription. I wish it weren't true but the bottom line is the bottom line. It won't be a smooth transition unless they can coerce someone who is making 15 cpl as the vet MT is to give up working from home (although she works her butt off) and come in for 9 bucks an hour. Who are they kidding.

... - nevermind

[ In Reply To ..]
//

Medical Scribes or - Clinical Information Managers

[ In Reply To ..]
I have written several times about this over the past year or so.

They generally do not hire MTs. There may be an exception, but they are targeting premed, nursing, and EMT students. They are presenting these jobs as learning opportunities for these students.

Clinical information manager is how you will find these jobs in a search engine such as indeed.com. Also as scribes.

I cringe at the thought of fly by night schools popping up and stealing people's money.

Correct -- targeting pre-med students for these low-paying jobs. (nm) - In-House Lead

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Joe - Here is the problem... - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
SmartType sounds like just an expansion program, right? We already have expansion programs. How is an independent MT to get into this unless she is a tech wiz who can get her PC set up to be compatible with a HIPAA-compliant exchange of documentation and voice files? Most of us are not that technically savvy, or we'd be making twenty times as much as an IT tech.

Other problem, Schools and MTSOs are already trying to capitalize on the Scribe sales, promising great careers if you go to their MT school to become a scribe rather than an MT. The problem with wages is the middleman, the MTSOs paying us a minute fraction of what they charge the clients.

The problem with using MTs as scribes is that we are not going to sit there listening to an entire office visit for 15 minutes to enter 4 lines of demographics for .16 cents in wages, so clients would have to pay by the hour. Paying hourly is going to jack up health care costs because it is much more expensive than paying by the line documented - MUCH more expensive.

If I have misunderstood the concept, I'd appreciate your explaining. I just don't see where SmartType offers more than a good expansion program that has been around a long time with a great reputation. I just do not see it getting us out of the the poverty we are currently stuck in, other than having to pay another $150 we can no longer afford.

Smartype is much more than an expansion program, but.... - Joe

[ In Reply To ..]
...it has nothing to do with the remote scribe comments I posted. I just happen to have the article accessible from our Smartype website.

If you read the article and view the video at www.valadoc.com, methinks you'll recognize the awesome value proposition of this MC approach. MTs get it right away. But it's tougher to convince the MDs to pay for it, even though the increased income from seeing more patients more than pays for the MC. It will, however, catch on eventually.

Physicians love innovation; they hate change.

BTW, Smartype's word-completion engine, coupled with its built-in vocabulary of 48,000 words used in medical reports, all with correct spelling and capitalization, IMHO blows away the conventional word expanders. That should become clear from viewing the screen shots and/or downloading the 30-day free trial. But that's not what I'm trying to communicate at this time. I'd like to see MTs grab the remote-scribing profession away from the pre-med students and the others far less qualified than MTs for this gig.

I personally viewed - the valadoc vid

[ In Reply To ..]
when it first came to light a few months ago. I was impressed and was quite interested in the program. However, when investigating further, there were no docs in my area that were involved, and quite honestly, using an "interested MT" to do your sales pitch for you to local docs is rather exploitive. We make a referral...you reap the rewards...and I may still not have a job...if the doc decides to "invest." Sorry...you are not duping me.
thank you! Because the more I read of Joe the more I want - to ask what are you selling and why pitch to us? N
[ In Reply To ..]
/
I am selling the concept of MTs capturing the Scribe profession - Joe
[ In Reply To ..]
From my experience with scribes, which matches what I would have expected, MTs are far and away the best candidates for this position. It seems like leaders and others in the transcription community should endeavor to make it clear to the industry that MTs will be much better at this than pre-med students.

You can lobby the scribe-service companies and the physician organizations. It will be a pity if MTs don't become recognized as the profession to be training as scribes, particularly since transcription is being decimated by EHRs and speech recognition. Of course, you will also want to push for a substantial increase in the pay for scribes, which will be worth it to get MT-level expertise.
Pitch to the small MTSOs - getting swallowed up
[ In Reply To ..]
The small MTSO who contracts directly with physicians is probably in a better position to lobby than those of us sitting at home anonymously with no physician contact.

I actually have some clinical experience in medicine now (went back to school for a different profession - trying to get out of MT), and I think MTs don't know what they don't know, especially the work-at-home MTs who never worked in a hospital or directly for a physician.
Not going to happen, many hospital orgs as stated already by another - are hiring pre-meds cheaply for this, and
[ In Reply To ..]
(this has also been said before) I believe Scribes is a falsh in the pan fad that will fade away. Scribing is nothing more than what we do now except it is done on site and totally disregards patient privacy (of the physical kind) - unless done by none other than a pre-med student or nurses' aide. I would not be surprised if this Scribes thing was not absorbed by the medical community as part of the medical internship duties for doctors and/or nurses and not paid a salary at all. That is the mentality these days - why hire another and create a new job title when there's an inside solution to be had? Even you have to say it would be bad business management on their end to opt your solution.

My personal opinion, you put an MT office person in the roomg with me, I'll start some deep chit about it. It ranks right up there with being stripped searched at the airport by some nobody nonprofessional. Hey, I can take the train, because this is my BODY. No, actually, this is MY body and I have final say in that or I quit America.

My hospital: MTs $20-23/hr; scribes $8-10/hr - In-House Lead

[ In Reply To ..]
Our ED uses them and has been for a while now. They follow the docs around from room to room with rolling computer stands. Keep in mind they are in the same room with burn victims, women who've just been raped, etc., etc. No thanks.

Selling on eBay is working out much better for me. I am encouraging all my displaced MT friends go to in that direction. Look for my eBay auction where I am selling my Book of Style and foot pedal (for real). ROFL.

LOL - I see a little of Joe has rubbed off on you! - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
/

Similar Messages:

The New MT -- Medical Scribes?
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Information About Scribes?
Nov 09, 2011

Can anybody give me information about scribes?  I just applied for a job that is for a medical transcriptionist/medical assistant which requires the transcriptionist to scribe for the doctor.  I'm concluding that you are in with the doctor and patient and basically just typing what he is saying during the appt rather than doc trying to treat the patient and document information at the same time.  Do these types of positions usually get paid higher than a transcriptionist?  Thanks for an ...

Medical Scribes...
Sep 13, 2012

Has anyone ever worked as a "Medical Scribe?" Will you tell me about it, please? ...

Physician Scribes
Jun 21, 2013

Physician scribe jobs have just come to my attention.  Been browsing the Internet and heard about it locally, too.  Can't find a really detailed description of what these scribes actually do in a day's work.  Anyone know?  Thanks! ...

Remote Scribes
Jun 24, 2013

We all know the frustration in dictation where they don't use a pause button, how our salaries dwindle to nothing as a result.  I noted an ad on the Job Seeker's Board to train to become a "remote scribe" for .07 to .08 CPL.  Doesn't it seem this would also dwindle to nothing as it seems there would be far more waiting for data to enter and would take forever to complete a line if you are working in real time.  Anyone have any info on how this would work? ...

Has Anybody Heard Of Scribes?
Oct 23, 2013

Has anybody heard of scribes?  Is this something that someone who has worked in medical transcription could possibly go into?  ...

Virtual Scribes
Apr 02, 2014

I ran across a company offering virtual scribes. Their scribes sound like a cross between transcriptionist, coding, assistant. It is done over the internet. The company I ran across is Physicians Angels. I could not find any career page to check out possible positions/requirements, and I don't know if it is done by ILPs, although their office is in the states. Anyone heard of virtual scribes and know of other companies that do this? Always looking for a way to break away from ...

Med-scribes In Naples, FL
May 07, 2014

Any information is appreciated...in particular, having to work too many accounts and OOW situations. THANK YOU. ...

PAY FOR VIRTUAL SCRIBES
Jun 12, 2015

My question is this...if you were working as a virtual scribe (via hipaa compliant video) from home what would you expect the pay per patient to be? Not hourly, just per patient that you documented and turned in to your supervisor at end of day...keep in mind you'd probably be on video about 4 hours a day. I'm really interested to see the responses to this question. ...

Scribes - Starting Salary
Mar 30, 2010

I do medical transcription for a local specialty practice.  They are transitioning to EHR and gave notice to their MTs that they would be cutting back on their MT needs starting next week.  Today, the office mgr. called and asked if I would be interested in a Scribe position.  In short, I am.  The manager would like to learn my salary requirements.  I am thinking of asking to start at $10/hour.  Does that seem reasonable.  N.B. Idaho ranks 49/50 in per capita i ...

Are Scribes Taking MT Jobs Away?
Dec 04, 2010

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/11/trsi-to-train-medical-scribes.html?showComment=1291473665715#c222684303620260150 ...

Been Hearing A Lot About Medical Scribes
May 30, 2012

I have been hearing a lot about medical scribes.  I am wondering if the transcription companies are going to start losing accounts because the doctors are going to switch to this new way of doing the medical records.  Has this happened to anyone yet? ...

Interesting Article About Scribes, Etc.
Aug 28, 2013

"Wow, the rates have gone down! Only $8-$10 per hour for these folks? That̢۪s great! Minimum wage in Oregon is currently $8.40 per hour. That means that I can get someone smart enough to learn medical terminology (the average medical student̢۪s vocabulary doubles over four years of medical school), operate an EMR (every one is different, and most all of them are hideously complex), listen carefully (a rare commodity in itself), type quickly (remember, the average follow-up visit only las ...

NY Times Article About Scribes
Jan 14, 2014

Our world is ever changing, do you fight it or find a way to advance with it.   Here is a NYtimes article about scribes..  It covers the third person in the room syndrome.     http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/health/a-busy-doctors-right-hand-ever-ready-to-type.html?emc=eta1&_r=0 ...

Interesting Article On Scribes...
Mar 01, 2014

From Health Care IT News - February 2014.  Interview with an ER doctor about using scribes in the ER and the process of documenting/entering information. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/blog/medical-scribes-history-present-illness-now-narrative ...

Will Meaningful Use Requirements Knock Out Scribes?
May 03, 2012

Interesting article about stage 2 meaningful use, particularly committees trying to decide if it prohibits anyone but a physician entering data into the EMR.  The article specifically references scribes, but I wonder what the implications are for MT. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/do-doctors-have-be-typists-get-mu-incentives ...

Oranges And Apples --- EHR And Point-n-click And Scribes
Nov 10, 2011

I think these ideas are getting used interchangeably when they are very different applications.  EHR is still transcribed documents, just not paper charts.  Facilities have already been on this for a good while now and the transcriptionist will basically see no difference as we don't usually handle a chart anyways in-house or virtually.  However, it is the point-n-click programs that are phasing out the transcribed document.  ...

Hearing About New Jobs As "medical Scribes."
Aug 13, 2011

I haven't seen any positions in my city and my junior college has nothing on it so far.  Anybody more informed on this??? ...

Worried About Being Able To Even Make What I Used To Make Doing
Apr 11, 2011

I seem to be spending an awful lot of time in VR documents, so I am confused as to why I am getting paid less for them.  This stupid VR system types whatever it thinks it might be hearing and sometimes doesn't type anything at all.  I hate this VR.  I am up to 1800 lines but usually do 2200-2500 a day on straight transcription.  I don't know how I am going to feed my children.  I am a single mom and the head of household.  Believe me the child support isn& ...

How Much Does A CCM Make
Jun 17, 2010

And do they get bonuses based on TAT?   have always been curious about this.  There was a time when I made more per year than an asst. supervisor (back at my co. before MQ bought us out).  Of course that is not the case anymore.  Any educated guesses? ...

Do Any Of The MTs Out There Make At Least...sm
Jan 25, 2011

$15 an hour on a daily basis.  I am in a horrific job right now (outside of my home) and need to make at least what I am making now which is about $15 an hour for a total of $97 a day.  I know transcription is tough nowadays, but if I go back to MT, do you think I can make at least that on a daily basis? ...

Is It Possible To Make
Aug 17, 2011

around $1,000/month part-time in this industry? ...

I Seriously Don't Know How To Make This Better
Aug 24, 2011

I've been working with this company for over 90 days. The first 90 days was a paid internship. Paid hourly, minimum wage. I am now a full time employee...paid on production.   However, I can not even seem to make minimum wage while on production pay! It is driving me nuts and is very discouraging. I'm not sure where to point the finger.   I worked 8 hours, only took one 20 minute break to eat. Over those 8 hours, according to the employers data base, I did around 1200 lin ...

What Do You Make?
Nov 15, 2011

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before ... or if this is one of those taboo subjects.. :) But what do you make per month as an MT and how many hours per week do you work to achieve that?  I'm just feeling like I can/should up my game a bit and thought this may be an encouraging way to get that push I need.  :)  ...

MUP (make Up Pay)
Sep 25, 2012

Anyone every get fired from Nuance for MUP?  ...

Okay Say I Make 10/6
Nov 05, 2012

What do you think they will do to get rid of me? I am really worried now, reading about all these terminations. ...

I DO NOT Want To Make Anyone Mad....
Nov 13, 2012

I looked at all the emails under here when I stopped work this afternoon and was hoping for a good description of the Town Hall meeting thingy.  What was the upshot?  Anything other than the usual blah blah blah?  Anything we need to know or else! LOL ...

Can You Make Any $$ With VR???
Feb 23, 2013

Okay, I'm waaaay behind the times.  I have been doing straight transcription for 35 years and am about to switch to VR editing at 0.45 cents per line.  Good Grief.  Can I make any money doing this??  My straight transcription accounts have all switched over about 80% of their work to VR and left all the truly terrible dictators on straight.  ...

How Much Do You Make?
Jul 22, 2013

Make's One Wonder--sm
Aug 07, 2013

Apparently the account I work on will be going completely offshore.  I am being moved to an account that I know has work (at least for now, not sure how many others will be switched to this one too).  I have to wonder though when will be the point when accounts go offshore and people are just fired.  While people do quit, is it enough to ensure there is still work stateside.  I have things that need to be taken care of.  New tires, new brakes, a new refrigerator, etc.&n ...