A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Incompetent Dictators - Morgan

Posted: Jun 24, 2012

Has anyone ever considered coordinating with MT coworkers to refuse doing jobs for horrid dictators? Does anyone think this might motivate the MTSOs to have the backbone to contact the doctor to try to resolve the problem? This could be as simple as having them adjust their mic so that everything they say isn't covered by breath sounds from a mic too close, or learning to use the "PAUSE" command while they review a chart. The only reason they get away with this is because we continue to provide service no matter how horrid the dictation is, how long it takes to transcribe, or what our hourly rate is reduced to. What about sending anonymous notes to the doctors about their problem, like "please back off the mic" or "please don't dictate while eating"? At least when doctors KNEW us, they usually knew when they blew it dictating by blanks left by a very good MT. Now they must assume the blanks are left by a newbie or someone in India. There needs to be SOME communication with the doctors!

Ban bad dictators - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd love to see a ban list of doctors who are not worth trying to dictate and have all MTs refuse their jobs.

It would be nice to also take a stand against - CAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Those atrocious audio files. If I cannot hear something, I can't hearing something. It really frustrates me to be told "just do the best you can and type what you CAN hear."

I feel when the sound quality is deteriorated to such a degree that it's completely inaudible, sitting her wasting precious production time listening to an inaudible 20-minute audio file is absurd and a total waste of time. Those jobs should be flagged, IMO, and sent back to the client with instructions that the dictator must redictate the job. Perhaps if that happened a few times, clinicians would be less inclined to dictate on speaker phone, cell phone, in the bathroom with the echoes, etc.

MTs aren't compensated at all for that dead air time spent desperately trying to hear 1 word out of every 25 words dictated. With a handful of inaudibles every night, we can lose up to a couple of hours of production time every night just because *someone* doesn't want to tell that holier-than-thou clinician (whose breaking the rules by dictating from a cell phone, speaker phone, etc.) that they need to redictate their report.

If we were paid hourly, I'd feel completely different about this. If an MTSO wants to pay me to listen to a 20-minute audio file of basically white noise, that's fine; however, when sitting for that 20 minutes is completely uncompensated and cuts into an MTs invaluable production time, yeah...I have a REAL problem with this issue.

Sorry if this is only half coherent. I just got up and sometimes what we MTs are expected to buck up and take without adequate compensation just infuriates me.

Sending the audio to their doctor friends... - Morgan

[ In Reply To ..]
It is profoundly important to doctors what other doctors think of them. For this reason I think a kind note to the doc to clean up his dictation might work, but if it doesn't, we can send the audio to the hospital or facility CEO, or just one of their doctor friends (pick one of their referrals). Of course we would have to edit to avoid any HIPAA violations, but this might work.

Similar Messages:

Why The Incompetent Dictators Today?
May 30, 2015

I've been in the business 30 years and when I got my own accounts I rarely had bad dictators, so what has happened?  I know ESL plays a role, but that can't be blamed for the majority of Causacian dictators who don't pronounced anything in the ROS or PE, just mumble on, or just say one word like "Respiratory" and leave it to us to read his mind. My guess is that they are passive-aggressively getting back at the bean counters who forced SR on them.  The other possibi ...

Lousy Dictators - Crappy, Hard To Understand Dictators, Both ESL And English-speaking
May 17, 2014

Today I will make less than half of what I normally get because all I've gotten today are crappy, hard to understand dictators, both ESL and English-speaking.  Seems like all I get lately are the hard to understand, mush-mouth dictators.  Guess Nuance doesn't want their MTs making quota.  Sorry.  I just had to vent. ...

Incompetent QA-What To Do?
May 09, 2012

I've been with MModal for just a little bit now after being outsourced.  I keep getting conflicting QA's.  Per the instructions I have on the system, I typed cranial nerves 2 through 12.  It comes back QA'ed with roman numerals.  So, I started typing roman numerals.  Comes back QA'ed as arabic. Left a patient's sister's proper name out.  MT style guide said replace it with "patient's sister".  QA sticks the name back in.  ...

Incompetent MT
Aug 15, 2012

I always felt I was good MT until I went to work here. Never had any complaints. Now, constant bad scores from QA and working my butt off to do a good job. I have been a transcriptionist for  20 years and worked for many companies including hospitals and this is about as bad as it can get. Maybe should try a new field, but at my age, not sure I can. ...

Why Do I Feel More And More Incompetent?
Nov 24, 2009

I have 20+ years' experience as an MT, 8 more years as a nurse before that, consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, yet I feel like I'm struggling more and more just to do this job.  I had the most horrific dictators today with the worst ASR, one after the other.  It felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders as I slumped in my chair trying to get the jobs done.  I just could not understand those Indian doctors.  Stutterers.  Clanging backgr ...

Incompetent Management
Jul 05, 2011

After years of going through this, finally I have no other conclusion to draw but that it's pervasive.  I am talking about incompetent management. They talk about "the team" this, "the team" that.  But they have NO concept of what teamwork is, so that is just lip service. If I make a very simple request for something that will make the work flow more efficient and help everyone, I am either blown off completely or told "we will TRY to do that, but we're ...

Incompetent Perforators
Oct 04, 2011

Doctor says, "intact saphenofemoral valve, incompetent perforators".  My questions is, are the perforators only referred to as incompetent, or are they sometimes referred to as competent as well?? ...

Nuance...are Incompetent Supervisors A Problem For Anyone Else?
Oct 03, 2011

I have been working for Nuance for about four months now. From day one, I have trouble with supervisors and communication as well as stupidity!! It took me THREE WEEKS to get completely trained for ONE ACCOUNT so i could start working. During that time, for 1-1/2 weeks, I was communicating with a person who I was initially told to be my supervisor to find out 1-1/2 weeks later after she finally emailed me back that she was not my supervisor as the account that I had been hired to work on ha ...

ARRRGGGGGHH! I Love Resident Dictators. I Love Resident Dictators. I Love Resident Dictators.
Jun 19, 2010

A new ESL dictating a DS. Can't speed him up because he's too "new" (to this country?). He is spelling every other word!!!!!! AND then spells it again - extubated, e-x-t-u-b-a-t-e-d, extubated e for elephant, x for crosses, t for tom, u for umbrella, b for .......... get the picture (sigh)? On top of that, the report is 28 minutes long!!! Should never have gotten out of bed this morning. LOL I do feel bad for him that he doesn't realize he doesn't have to spell every other ...

ESL Dictators
Feb 08, 2010

Hey folks, I recently got put on an ESL, primarily Spanish, account at KeyStrokes.  I'm having a very hard time with these dictations.  Can anybody give me some tips for better skills understanding this accent?   I've been doing ESL dictators of Indian and Asian accents without really any problems at all.  However, these Hispanic ones are really giving me problems.  Thanks.    ...

How Many Of You Have Dictators That
Feb 10, 2010

just with the sound of their voice, can turn your day to yuck? There are 2 docs on one of my accounts who literally make me cringe when I hear their voices.  Like nails on a chalkboard or something.  I cannot stand listening to them!  Unfortunately, they always have very looooong reports.  I keep expecting my ears to start bleeding one of these days! ...

Do Dictators Know What ASR IS???
Mar 17, 2010

Can you imagine getting an ASR report where the dictator says "please put number one please please please put number one, please put number five, please please please put number five.."  all the while I am having to edit out all these infernal "pleases" and wonder just what kind of idiot this is.  Sheesh! ...

Bad Dictators
Jun 06, 2012

Anyone ever suspect that accounts we do have in-house transcriptionists and they outsource their worst dictators to services? ...

Resident Dictators
Oct 14, 2009

I have a female resident dictating radiology who tries to break the speed barrier, she sniffs before every sentence, and constantly makes these noises in her throat.  She DRIVES ME CRAZY.  My rant for the day. ...

Idiot Dictators.
Nov 04, 2009

I truly, truly wish these idiots who call themselves physicians had to listen to and transcribe their own dictations.  I am so frustrated right now I could just about pull my hair out.  Being a greeter at Wal-Mart is looking very enticing right now.  ...

Pay For 1 MME Shift With 90% ESL Dictators
Dec 20, 2009

About 1/3 of those 100% QA reports were done by ILPs.  Total average earnings per hour:  a little over 4 $, but  I will be paid at my state's minimum wage.  Before my in-house hospital job was outsourced to an MTSO that kept the work in the country for 2 years and then sent it to India, I was being paid 19 $ an hour and also had great benefits and PTO.   When did this "profession" turn into a minimum wage job ?  (actually, half of minimum wage if ...

DSG Seems To Have The WORST Dictators
Mar 26, 2010

I have been an MT for over 20 years and have worked at a few different companies.  I am currently with DSG, and I just have to say, DSG seems to have the WORST dictators of any company that I have worked for.  I work on 5 different accounts for them and it is all the same.  Any other DSG'ers out there that are experiencing the same thing?  I don't recall being told when I was hired that I would be typing 98% ESL.  Beware if you are thinking of working here!    ...

Bad Dictators Very Frustrating
Apr 28, 2010

I have 6 years of experience and just started a new job doing straight transcription.  I'm convinced that I'm getting all of dictators that they can't run through their VR because they are so bad.  I'm lucky to make $5.00/hr.  Very frustrating.  Need to give my notice.  Anybody else have this experience?  Sorry, I just needed to vent. ...

Dictators CHEWING
Sep 05, 2010

Wish there was a board doctors could read for complaints.  How I hate when they chew in my ear!  The absolute worst is this one now who is clearing his throat like a HORSE after every sentence and snuffling all his "thick yellow-to-green secretions" while he dictates!  Rude or what?  He should have specialized in pathology!    ...

Dictators Who Think We're Dum-dums
Dec 28, 2010

One of these days where I'm working but don't really feel much like it.  Restless, surfing the net, laughing at the dictators.  Had one who rattled off bizarre medical terms while eating, so I had to leave numerous blanks, and then the next one spent a good deal of time trying to explain to the dumb MT how to type "b.i.d."  (that's BEE, EYE, DEE - oh, all in little letters - I mean, a little BEE, then a period, a little EYE, then a period, a little DEE, then a perio ...

Keystrokes Dictators Sm
Jan 18, 2011

Would someone from Keystrokes email me as to how bad the ESL docs are?  I have been offered a job but told it is mostly ESLs and I don't mind them but if they are really bad dictators, I think I will pass.  Thanks! ...

Instructions To Dictators O P E N Y O U R M O U T H A N D
Mar 09, 2011

t a l k.  it    would    make   my   life  much   easier   if   you    would  talk  normally and  not  like   you  are  either  a racehorserunninginthekentuckyderby or   the  tortoise  racing  the  hare  and    that     we   d   o   n  o  t ...

Procrastinating Dictators And TAT
May 21, 2011

It really annoys me when some providers wait weeks, or months, to do their dictation, and then all of a sudden they're stats, even though the patient won't be back for weeks or months, or prn. Or the ones who make every progress note a stat, and bump the really important jobs down the line. It just grinds my gears. ...

Dictators Not Weighed
Sep 03, 2011

I work for a hospital that is going to production based pay using editscript and not weighing the doctors. There are some transcriptions who cannot type all work types and can only do easy dictations so they make more than the ones who have the skills and knowledge who do the harder dictations. Any I idea of how I can address this with my supervisor? ...

Dictators Who Eat During Dictation
Dec 14, 2011

This really bugs me, and I usually don't mention anything about it, but I am doing a report by a PA, and she is just crunching away while dictating, and can hardly talk while she is eating.  She is eating like her life depends upon it, and this is totally rude and obnoxious.  I have heard it all though, and there is not 1 MT I have known that hasn't experienced this.  They eat, go to the bathroom, have children in the background that they don't try to keep quiet, do ...

Solution For Better Dictators
Mar 19, 2012

How about the company charge extra to the dictators for ESL, drunk sounding dictators, mumblers, eaters, slurpers, burpers, playing games with others while they're supposed to be dictating, what sounds like background Christmas parties, "oh, yeah, go back up to ....and add," speed talkers, dictators that sound like they have hair lips, speech impedements and last, but not least, dictators that cannot pronounce other doctor's names or meds or med terms, but won't spell for you.&nbs ...

Worse Dictators
Jun 05, 2012

I'm new to having to work work for a service. Recently the only work availabe has been the absolutely worst dictator I have ever done in my 25 years transcribing for hundreds of different doctors and specialties. With the platforms being used, can you tell if you are getting previous rejected jobs? There is no way to make more than $1. an hour with this guy. They also have Word programmed to delete one of the spaces between sentences, essentially a keystroke not being paid, as well as a ...

Dollars And Dictators
Jun 23, 2012

Really aware this morning how much our ability to make money depends on dictators.  If you have an account where the majority of dictators are terrible (not ESL), for all the reasons many of us have experienced, it really does not matter how fast we type, how many expansions we have, or how much vast medical knowledge we have worked to obtain.  Just made $3.36 in 26 minutes due to an extensive ADT search and a dictator who takes his time reading the medical record while talk ...

Doctors/dictators
Jul 17, 2012

Just wondering why there are so many doctors/dictators with foreign accents here? Most of mine seem to be from India. My BIL is a doctor and told me years ago that "smart students" aren't going into medicine now because the average salary is "only" about $100,000.00 a year.  He said the top students are going into business (MBA degree, etc)  in order to make more money.  Aren't doctors supposed to go into medicine mainly because they want to help people?  Can' ...

I Know These Dictators Don't Care About Us, But They Had
Aug 04, 2012

better realize that VR is going to transcribe what it hears, including the chomping, slurping, crunching, and gulping, which VR will interpret into words, and either they're going to have to pay extra for the fixes or learn some d*** manners! I'd hate to be in a restaurant with these people!  Gross! Anyway... my vent for the night.  Thanks for listening. ...