A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Incompetent QA-What to do? - Grumpy

Posted: May 09, 2012

I've been with MModal for just a little bit now after being outsourced.  I keep getting conflicting QA's.  Per the instructions I have on the system, I typed cranial nerves 2 through 12.  It comes back QA'ed with roman numerals.  So, I started typing roman numerals.  Comes back QA'ed as arabic.

Left a patient's sister's proper name out.  MT style guide said replace it with "patient's sister".  QA sticks the name back in. 

Expand all disease processes in impression/plan, and they expand labs and equipment or condense it back to an acronym.  

I have e-mailed my supposed QA coach with these discrepancies and asked her to advise..... and I get total cyber silence (can you hear the crickets chirping?).  It's getting very frustrating, as I really don't mind HOW they want me to type it, but I do need consistency.  There's no way I can transcribe based on which QA person I think is working that morning (even though I've halfway thought about trying it). 

Do you guys have any suggestions?   Since we're still on 100% QA, the only thing I can think to do is to put QA markers by cranial nerves and in the QA box, point out why I have typed it that way and refer to the page, etc.  But I know they'll probably love that and I'm sure it will put a target on my back.   Is the QA coach the only way to get anything done with QA?

Here's What To Do - Old QA/MT

[ In Reply To ..]
First up in terms of how to do something is the Client Profile. Next up is the MModal Transcription Guidelines (AKA MedQuist...), next up is AAMT (or whatever they want to call it.

If it's NOT in the client profile, you use the MModal Transcription Style Guidelines.

You can't go wrong there. Just ignore what QA is doing if you know you are following the above guidelines.

Any exceptions will be in the Client Profile. And nobody in their right mind would mark you off an audit for 2-12 vs II-XII unless the dang client has a preference.

If you know you're doing the right thing - Just ignore it

[ In Reply To ..]
There are some MMEs who don't update their knowledge of the new rules that change constantly, some who don't care, some who like to mark up someone's report, and others that have a personal preference and think they are right. These are the reasons why an MME(QA)'s ability to actually grade reports was taken away from them. In any case, what they mark is feedback only and doesn't count against you. If you have researched and know you are correct, then you have nothing to worry about. The higher-ups see what changes are made to a report on any level, so if the MME is wrong, it goes to them, not you.

Personally, as an MME, unless it's an obvious error (misspelling, omission, etc.), I copy and paste the rule that I am following into the feedback and where I got it from. This eliminates a lot of confusion.

MMODAL QA - OLD MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Here's the deal with MMODAL QA - most likely you QA is coming from India, they do not known the difference between arterial and aerial - GO FIGURE??????
MMODAL QA - OLD MT
[ In Reply To ..]
On another note, when the transition is made over to Nuance, you will have QA done by educated QA people who are extremely helpful in teaching you and you also have access to account specifics and Nuance specifics as well that will help tremendously. Much better company :)
Transition - Want To Know
[ In Reply To ..]
What transition over to Nuance?
yea right - never happen
[ In Reply To ..]
It will never happen. Maybe Nuance will merge into MModal, but never the other way around.

Similar Messages:

Incompetent MT
Aug 15, 2012

I always felt I was good MT until I went to work here. Never had any complaints. Now, constant bad scores from QA and working my butt off to do a good job. I have been a transcriptionist for  20 years and worked for many companies including hospitals and this is about as bad as it can get. Maybe should try a new field, but at my age, not sure I can. ...

Why Do I Feel More And More Incompetent?
Nov 24, 2009

I have 20+ years' experience as an MT, 8 more years as a nurse before that, consider myself a reasonably intelligent person, yet I feel like I'm struggling more and more just to do this job.  I had the most horrific dictators today with the worst ASR, one after the other.  It felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders as I slumped in my chair trying to get the jobs done.  I just could not understand those Indian doctors.  Stutterers.  Clanging backgr ...

Incompetent Management
Jul 05, 2011

After years of going through this, finally I have no other conclusion to draw but that it's pervasive.  I am talking about incompetent management. They talk about "the team" this, "the team" that.  But they have NO concept of what teamwork is, so that is just lip service. If I make a very simple request for something that will make the work flow more efficient and help everyone, I am either blown off completely or told "we will TRY to do that, but we're ...

Incompetent Perforators
Oct 04, 2011

Doctor says, "intact saphenofemoral valve, incompetent perforators".  My questions is, are the perforators only referred to as incompetent, or are they sometimes referred to as competent as well?? ...

Incompetent Dictators
Jun 24, 2012

Has anyone ever considered coordinating with MT coworkers to refuse doing jobs for horrid dictators? Does anyone think this might motivate the MTSOs to have the backbone to contact the doctor to try to resolve the problem? This could be as simple as having them adjust their mic so that everything they say isn't covered by breath sounds from a mic too close, or learning to use the "PAUSE" command while they review a chart. The only reason they get away with this is because we continue t ...

Why The Incompetent Dictators Today?
May 30, 2015

I've been in the business 30 years and when I got my own accounts I rarely had bad dictators, so what has happened?  I know ESL plays a role, but that can't be blamed for the majority of Causacian dictators who don't pronounced anything in the ROS or PE, just mumble on, or just say one word like "Respiratory" and leave it to us to read his mind. My guess is that they are passive-aggressively getting back at the bean counters who forced SR on them.  The other possibi ...

Nuance...are Incompetent Supervisors A Problem For Anyone Else?
Oct 03, 2011

I have been working for Nuance for about four months now. From day one, I have trouble with supervisors and communication as well as stupidity!! It took me THREE WEEKS to get completely trained for ONE ACCOUNT so i could start working. During that time, for 1-1/2 weeks, I was communicating with a person who I was initially told to be my supervisor to find out 1-1/2 weeks later after she finally emailed me back that she was not my supervisor as the account that I had been hired to work on ha ...