A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I always thought it was cute to spell a child's name different - UNTIL.....

Posted: Mar 22, 2013

I had to TYPE them, OMG!  I type for a pediatric clinic and these name spellings are outrageous!  The way my platform works, I type in the patient's name the way it sounds and after the dictation is done a search list comes up and I am ALWAYS having to go back and change the spelling I gave.  I used to think it was all cute to spell a child's name different, but now if another, I may name her "Mary" LOL.  I just typed on a kid named Jacob, but of course it was spelled Jakob.  WOW!

Jakob is a common European spelling for Jacob - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not a cute alternate spelling. Wow.

Well, we aint in Europe - are we?

[ In Reply To ..]
pffft

how very smart of you - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
So...your lack of exposure to a broader world means everyone should stay within YOUR limited boundaries?

What I said is Jakob is not some kind of cutesty spelling. There is a difference between traditional names and made-up spellings. There are also alternate ways to spell certain names: Irma, Erma. Erin, Aaron. Elaine, Alaine. Jeff, Geoff.

Used to have a woman working for me, had twin sons her - sister named at birth

[ In Reply To ..]
These kids were teenagers, names like Quantavious or ?? The mother could not spell her own kid's names. I worked at a pediatric hospital years ago and you would be totally surprised at what people name their kids only to not be able to spell them when asked. I do remember 1 kid named Snow White.....

I don't think the OP was saying.... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....that "Jakob" was all that weird--was just giving it as the latest example of a spelling that's not "the common spelling." (at least not here in the U.S., which is what most of us are used to.)

I call this trend "invented spelling" of kids' names, and I think it's misguided, too. Parents are trying to be very unique when they do this; but most of the time (like in class or on the playground), when someone speaks the name "Jacob," no one else can even tell that they're the uniquely named "Jaycub"!

P.S. Plus..... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
...."Jaycub" will spend his entire lifetime correcting the spelling of his name.

I dislike invented spelling, too, but Jakob is not one of them - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
just because you haven't been exposed to something doesn't mean it's a new invention. That's all I'm saying.
I don't disagree with you... - (see message)
[ In Reply To ..]
My ancestors are from Eastern Europe (I'm only the second generation born in America), and I'm very accustomed to seeing names spelled like "Jakob." I didn't mean to imply that THAT example was "invented spelling." (Although I'd say my example of "Jaycub" would be--haha.) I'm not the OP, either, but I was only saying that I suspect she just threw that example out as a spelling which isn't what dictators would call "common spelling"--the way they sometimes do with names like Donald (rather than Donnald) or maybe even Carol (rather than Carole). Some name spellings are considered the "common spelling" if it's the way the majority of people spell it. Although, nowadays, there doesn't seem to be a COMMON spelling of any of the younger babies' names! (LOL)

Truly--I wasn't attacking the "Jakob" spelling of that name. :-)

cute spellings - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a nephew named "Jaxon" and thought that was pretty cute, but after MTing for years I still like "Mary"!

I Never Thought it was Cute - Even before MT-see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
Long before MT, I found it quite annoying. It's embarrassing to spell the person's name wrong on, say, a birthday card or something. It's just dumb, IMHO.

When did Devon become Devyn? Oh, when the mother thought it would be cute and different. I made that mistake on a small child's card. The kid probably didn't notice the difference (she was only 3), but the folks sure did.

The creative spelling - tends

[ In Reply To ..]
to be clustered in the lower socioeconomic echelons where in the long run it probably doesn't matter anyway except for the tiny percentage of those children that will strive for something better and possibly find the dopey spelling of their names to be a hindrance in the professional world. For those who aspire to be welfare recipients or possibly to a career in one of the hamburger-related industries, it probably makes them feel special.

WOW. - Nacho (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Why? Did that hit too close to home? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow Part II - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
seriously bigotted remark on your part.
Really? - Then you clearly believe
[ In Reply To ..]
that most welfare recipients belong to a single ethnicity, which actually is true, but it's not the ethnicity you assume I meant. Your assumption represents bigotry, my comment does not. In any event, the names being discussed are not common in the ethnicity you pretend to champion.
I agree with Nacho - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
And I must say, your ignorance is showing.

The true definition of bigoted is: utterly intolerant of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own. (Taken from dictionary.com, btw)

There is no reference to ethnicity in the definition of bigoted. You show your own innate racism by projecting your issues onto Nacho.

Well, if you know someone well enough to send them a birthday card, sm - medikal transcrypionist

[ In Reply To ..]
I would hope you would know how to spell his/her name. My name is spelled rather differently, but I have always loved it. Most people tell me it is pretty. Although I spell my name (both of them as my last name is a bit odd too, I guess) when I make calls, appointments, etc., I have to admit I don't lose any sleep worrying if someone is annoyed with the spelling of my name.

I never through it was cute either, just looks like the parents - cannot spell. the poor kid has to go through

[ In Reply To ..]
life correcting people on the darn thing.

mistake - HUGE.

I agree. It must be annoying for both the child - and teachers, etc.

[ In Reply To ..]
Imagine going through life having to constantly correct the spelling of your name or listen to others struggle to pronounce what otherwise would be a common name:

Jaxson, Mykal, Cydnee, Daefyd, Kaytlynn, Skott, Kalvyn, Aeryn...

If I get a long job where the patient's name is used - grits

[ In Reply To ..]
I enter it into my dictionary under the shortcut cpt (current patient) and go about my business. Even if it's a recognizable spelling, it's usually longer than 3 charaters, so it's worth it.

I do the same. Like your shortcut better than mine (pana = patient name). - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Great minds think alike :) - grits nm

[ In Reply To ..]

smart use of shortcut feature - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Thanks! I have my moments :D - grits nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Name spellings - outahere

[ In Reply To ..]
And forget hoping the dictator will be consciencious enough to spell it. Have of them can't pronounce even the simple, common names. In those cases I have to leave the name typed phonetically and hope QA won't penalize ME for the error.

Jakob is pretty common. - Nacho

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a name that's spelled abnormally, and I'm glad. I think the way it's normally spelled is boring, and I'm glad to be a little different.

Similar Messages:

So Cute....
Oct 05, 2011

One of my doctors has a pet duck, and I hear it quacking in the background sometimes.  At first, I wasn't sure if it was a toy, because I also hear children sometimes, but for sure it is a duck....Awwwwwww...... Love it when my docs do something to remind me they are human, like babies crying in the background or children playing..... ...

When A Doctor States "the Child Is A *2+ 5-year-old* Child", Is This The Way It Should Be
Jan 20, 2010

nm ...

Cute Little Resident
Aug 08, 2014

At the end of his discharge summary, the resident says "thank you very much for your help and your time.  I hope you have a nice evening and a nice weekend."    Awe.  That just made me smile.  ...

Stedmans Spell Checker-How To Set It Up In Spell Check
Dec 03, 2010

I just downloaded the Stedmans Spell Checker to work with my Word Documents, and I can't figure out how to make it work with Word. I went into Spell check, Options, and saw custom dic, but don't know where to go from there to set it up. Help please, and thank you! ...

Yea Doc Spell The Words Any Idiot Can Spell
Apr 10, 2012

How freaking stupid do you think I am???  Obviously you cant spell what you just rambled through either but speak normally and I guarantee you I can...off to search AGAIN!!! ...

Child Psychiatry
Feb 02, 2010

The 4-year-old child is being examined for inappropriate sexual contact.  She is noted to be having self ______ behaviors. s/l comenistrative ...

Well-child Care
Apr 15, 2012

Doctor says: She states her health has been good without any treatment besides a well-child care period (do you think period as in punctuation???) ...

Child Or Children
May 02, 2012

This dr. is not consistent. Sometmes she says, "She is married with a male and a female CHILD." Other times, it's "She is married with a male and a female CHILDREN." This occurs often enough that I'm totally confused on the proper term. ...

Child Birth
Jan 12, 2013

Hi. "Frontal vaginal delivery" Simple, duh, I have brain freeze. Can someone help. Thanks. ...

Transcribe Child's Age
Dec 11, 2013

I forgot how to transcribe, "A 6-year and 5-month old child!"  Thanks ...

Help! Med For Child S/l Peer And Albuterol??
Apr 28, 2010

.. ...

Mental Disorder In Child
Jun 04, 2010

The patient is 17 and has a longstanding history of "s/l trigluterimania"...she is also anxious. any ideas? TIA ...

Child Exam Questions
Aug 10, 2010

Would this go under genitourinary or skin exam:  The diaper area has an erythematous rash.  There are no open areas at this time.  There are no abnormalities of the scrotum.  Also, Prilosec for rhinitis?  Thanks.  ...

Ortho Total Hip On A Child Help Pls
Jan 13, 2013

Hi any help really appreciated, cant locate anything even close.. Pinnacle, s/l "banton" acetabular component with a 28 mm Ultrex polyethylene liner. ...

Red Headed Step Child
Jul 15, 2014

Anyone else feel that way -- especially those of us that just got shuffled off to wherever when their supervisors got RIFfed? ...

S/l Child With Schwartz Champell Syndrome
Nov 25, 2009

nm ...

Child Diagnosed With Pharyngitis And Paretsia?
Jun 17, 2010

She has a spanish accent and is am not sure what she is saying.  The child  was diagnosed with pharyngitis and sounds likes she is saying paretsia? ...

S/l ADs. Child With Seizures. Parents Are Not Sure What ADs He Was On At That Time.
May 30, 2014

nm ...

Anybody Else Get Emotional Typing Child Abuse Reports?
Aug 25, 2010

Or am I just not cut out for this job? ...

Child W/chronic Kidney Disease On Enalapril And S/l SOO TA. Nm
Jul 11, 2014

x ...

I Hate When They Spell!
Feb 24, 2010

She had moderate malnutrition, which was treated with percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube feeds.  However, the patient had a very large tracheostomy stoma and had s/l aerobhagy resulting in severe abdominal distention.  The "aerobhagy" is what she spells.  Any clue what she might be talking about?  ...

Coxytude? Cannot Think Of How To Spell It
Mar 09, 2010

a "coxytude" of medications.   thanks ...

What Is This Drug Name And How Do You Spell It Please?
Mar 17, 2010

Can anyone tell me how to spell a drug name that sounds like Fusefar or Phusefar or something like that? Thanks ...

How Do You Spell This Word?
Apr 21, 2011

s/l sin-knee-key-eye There was (synici) and lateralization of the middle turbinate to the lateral nasal wall.  This was gently medialized removing the (synici) and opening up the ethmoid labyrinth as best as possible.  When I google it doesn't have any idea what I'm trying to say!! thanks. ...

SPELL CHECK BOX
Jan 30, 2012

My spell check box is too small.  I cannot see the Ignore, change, etc. boxes.  Can anyone tell me how to enlarge the box so I can see all of the choices?  TIA ...

Just Had A Doctor Spell
Feb 18, 2012

"void" - its gonna be a long night... ...

Numbers Or Spell It Out?
Apr 04, 2012

Never get any help here. Never mind. ...

Where Do They Learn To Spell?
Apr 29, 2013

The doc just spelled two drugs:   1. FLORASE 2. SPLRIVA   Flonase and Spiriva   What the????? ...

Why Do Doctors Try To Spell?
Jun 18, 2013

I just had one spell Hydroxycut  "hodroxicud" ...

Please Oh Please Spell Your Kid's Name CORRECTLY!
Aug 11, 2013

Anybody else work for a Peds clinic and get driven CRAZY due to the odd spelling of all of these kid names these days?  It seems like almost every single time, I spell the name wrong and when I check for correction on my list, I always have to change it, which I cannot do until the END of the report!  I am so tired of these names:  Jennipher, Ryleigh, Austen, Allysin, Emilee.  I mean, what was wrong with Jennifer, Riley, Austin, Allison and Emily?  Why did we have to cha ...