A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I am blessed to have the opportunity to work both as an IC and inhouse. - mel

Posted: Jan 25, 2010

There are good things about both sides.  I get paid more inhouse but I have more free time with IC.

Me Too! - Lisa

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at a local hospital full time and get paid pretty well and get all the benies and time off. Then I have an at home office that I do side work for. Together I am making very good money. I am soooo lucky.

I am blessed to have the opportunity to work both as an IC and inhouse - pauline

[ In Reply To ..]
I too did the same thing until 1-1/2 years ago. I was making good money, hourly plus PT job pay by line. So PT was my pocket money. I was making $40,000 a year and for my area that is pretty good. Now I make half.

The flip side now is that my hospital job was outsource and my PT job hospital decided not to outsource any long so I basically lost 2 excellent jobs within 4 months of each other. I went to work for the company that took over my hospital job because I needed insurance coverage. I got my W2 yesterday and now my pay is considered to be in the poverty level range in my state. So depressing. I have done this for 30 years and I should be be making more money. Not the case now. I am making less money than my 3 grown children. So depressing and I am at an age that I cannot retire yet. Got 6 more years to go. I have often wanted to go out on my own totally, but I am just afraid to take that step. I have a friend who works as an IC and she makes about $4000 or more a month. I know she has to pay her own taxes, but it still would be worth it. She types allergy clinic notes now, but states she misses doing the various work types and if she takes a day off someone else gets to do her work so there are both sides to employee and IC. I am lucky just to have this job, but so miss my good money I used to make. I could save money back then and now my husband and I are both struggling just to make ends meet with the bare essentials to survive. Hold onto those good jobs because they really are hard to find these days.

Similar Messages:

Must Be Blessed!
Jan 17, 2010

There is so much negativity posted that I just wanted to take the time to say...  I am happy with Medquist.  I am happy with my schedule.  I am happy with my hours.  I am happy with my accounts.  I am happy with my dictators.  I am happy with my CCM.  I have no complaints whatsoever.  Medquist supplied me with a work computer at no charge/no rent/etc.  They provided paid training on their software to make sure I understood the format and shortcut ...

I Consider Myself Blessed.
Jan 15, 2013

I love my life, I love my husband, I love my kids, I love my dog and I love my job (mt with a part-time non-mt gig on the side). I know many are unhappy being an MT and are looking to get out and I wish all those who feel that way well and I hope that they find something that suits them. As for myself however, I would'nt trade it for a thing. Yes I have a part-time job on the side that is non-mt, mainly because my husband is disability and we could use the extra cushion in our income ...

I Feel So Blessed.
May 09, 2012

I have been having a really rough time lately, and I actually was in tears today because of the stress I have been under and I just really couldn't hold it in anymore.  I am an MT and have  been for the last 7 years and like the 99% of the MTs out there, I have been so tired of all the stuff we all have to put up with with declining wages and declining quality of dictators, so I decided to start coding school with Andrews.  I'm almost finished! Only a few more months of ...

Feeling Blessed Today...
Nov 26, 2012

Just wanted to share. A friend of mine texted me on T'giving. She lost her mother quite suddenly.  I was so upset about what is going on in my world I didn't stop to think about what is more important.  I just want to share with you because I feel you guys are my sisters in a way and no matter what I read here, whether I agree or not, I still learn from it in most cases.  I wish all of you the very best you can be and we will figure this out together, I have faith.& ...

I Just Saw An Add For An Inhouse MT Position....
Dec 15, 2009

and the pay is $10 - $14 an hour, depending on experience.   Are you kidding me???  ...

Inhouse Vs Home
Aug 31, 2012

Hello! Can anyone tell me how much difference on average is the pay working inhouse for a clinic (not a hospital) versus working as an IC from home? Thank you for you time! :)  ...

OMG! Just Got A New Job As An Inhouse Coder
Jul 12, 2014

(not my first), and STARTING pay is $60K a year!  I'm ecstatic!  Can't give out the name of the hospital, but will give out the state:  OREGON ...

Low Wage For Inhouse Transcriptionist
Jun 30, 2011

Hello: I interviewed today for a psychology practice that is offering $8.50/hour for a receptionist/transcriptionist position (for 3 psychologists).  I thought, well, perhaps there is not much transcription involved, but was told that would be the majority of the workday.  I feel this would be interesting work, I need the benefits provided, and all the doctors are English as first language speakers (a bonus!).   I was told all of the doctors are very caring people ...

Heard Back From Inhouse Job!
Jun 17, 2013

Oh man I don't want to get my hopes up but I submitted my application the other day and today was asked to do the online "organizational fit assessment."  I don't know if I answered the questions correctly but I did the best I could.  So we'll see.  Inhouse jobs don't come up very often in my community - almost never! and this one has other responsibilities too.  I should add that I think I owe a lot to Preptel.com.  It's a website I saw posted h ...

If You Had This Opportunity Come Up,
May 06, 2011

If you were working for a national, and making less than minimum wage, but had plenty of work and basic health insurance, would you take a per-diem inhouse job that paid 5 times what you were making now, but had no benefits, and meant a very long commute?  I'm thinkin' about it, but with gas headed toward $5/gallon, I'm not so sure.......... ...

Possible Job Opportunity
Feb 10, 2014

Our local hospital has a new position for HIM Clerk to review medical reports for accuracy.  This pays twice what I was making as an editor for a service.  I wonder if this will be the trend, to create new in-house positions in HIM for editing.  Perhaps another endeavor that will not end up saving them money or improving accuracy over what their service is providing?  Perhaps someday the bean counters will realize they could drop one millionaire CEO to gain 250 experienced e ...

Found An Inhouse Job And I Am Out Of This Online Nightmare
May 06, 2011

I was finally able to get hired by a local hospital that very rarely has openings. I will get to work from home once I am up to speed on their platform....doing VR....getting paid by the hour....benefits for the family of only $200/month....and PTO time. I couldn't be happier. I have been slugging it out with MTSOs for 10 years and am finally getting out of this rat race. It was music to my ears when I asked what the chances are of them ever turning their work over to a MTSO and they sa ...

Opinion Please: Friend Changing From Inhouse To MQ
Jan 08, 2012

Ok, I have a friend who has worked inhouse for a few years for a large hospital.  She makes $14 an hour with shift differential.  They have pretty much cut the incentive pay out.  She really doesn't get that I don't think anymore.  She is fustrated with her boss and is considering going to Medquist radiology transcription.  Another friend who works on the radiology side of MQ said she has not ran of work before and has 5 accounts to work on, etc.  She says ...

From Inhouse To Working Remotely For MTSO
Jun 19, 2014

I have heard too many times where a hospital is outsourcing their transcription department and you must take the job with the MTSO, and you cannot get unemployment benefits if you don't take the job.  I have been thru it twice. Both times it was done in the most unprofessional way; in 1998 and again in 2011, two different hospitals in two different states. Both times, they lied to us, saying we must go with the MTSO and won't qualify for unemployment.  When you are laid off ...

Missed An Opportunity?
Oct 19, 2011

Just wondering if anyone has missed a job opportunity by not responding right away to a potential employer. I got an email yesterday around 3 p.m. asking to interview with me and I responded around 5 p.m. and have now heard nothing back. Just wondering if I missed my window? Would they go with someone else just because they were available in that 2-hour window? I really, really, really want this job and am just making myself sick over the possibility I may have missed my opportunity. ...

Great Opportunity?
Nov 12, 2013

I am a former MT (laid off) who worked for a University teaching hospital for 16 years doing transcription. After Nuance took over I took a job at the same University teaching hosp. doing outpatient clerk position. I am thinking of enrolling in classes for coding because this hospital has a coder training program that starts you at over $19 an hour, just have to be enrolled in school to apply for the job. They do training classes as part of your work day and then you study on your own to get cer ...

Amphion Opportunity
Mar 10, 2015

I have a question about Amphion.  I applied to them last summer, and I ended up taking another position.  Now, I am looking for work again and tested for them again.  The benefits email I received when I first applied to them had OUTRAGEOUS costs for the health insurance - are they still like that?  Which insurance do they offer - still Humana? Cee ...

Moving On To A Non-MT Job Opportunity
Apr 30, 2015

I am pleased to say I have found an open door to a job opportunity that is outside of MT work.  It is a job that will utilize my experience in healthcare and my medical terminology.  A very nice pay increase, regular holidays off with pay, and vacation and sick time. No weekend work. Most importantly, a new skill set that makes my more marketable opening up more future opportunities as well. I hope this encourages some of you to see what is out there.  Submitting a resume or filli ...

An Opportunity I Was Presented With
Jun 15, 2015

Hi all,  I need some advice.  I am currently a medical transcriptionist and I applied for a job at a local billing company as an administrative support for the coding department.  The pay was 13.00 an hour and it was about 33 miles from where I live, so I declined on that offer.  The HR lady had told me during the phone conversation the day I declined that because of my background in transcription she asked if I would be interested in coding if a spot opened up, which she sa ...

Company Hiring For MT Inhouse Just Gave Me A Call
Sep 29, 2010

Paying 15.00 an hour.  It is temp to hire. Hours 8 am to 5 pm, Unfortunately, I already have an inhouse day shift job.  They asked if I knew anyone who would be interested.  Couldn't think of a soul. ...

Friend Wants To Quit Inhouse Job To Work MedQuist
Jan 08, 2012

Someone who works at Medquist on the radiology side said that radiology isn't as bad as the acute care side.  She said she has not ran out of work yet, and she has been there several months.  I know what I see on these boards about the acute care side.  Does this pertain to the radiology side too or is it different?  ...

Golden Opportunity For Hospitals Right Now!
Nov 11, 2010

As we all know, thanks to the way most MTSOs operate, there is currently a glut of experienced, talented, highly-qualified MTs who are looking for something better than just a chickenfeed job at a national.       Some hospitals have begun to question the quality of work they're getting back from the nationals (and the HIPAA compliance), since ever-increasing amounts of the work those nationals have is getting offshored.    & ...

This Pay Cut Is Perfect Opportunity For MT To Make A Stand. If All
Dec 23, 2010

work for this, what would happen?  Now is the time to stand up for what you deserve. ...

Does Your Company Offer Advancement Opportunity?
Feb 06, 2013

I am curious as to ways transcriptonists (of employee status, not ICs) might be advancing in their transcription careers other than being paid incentive line rates. I am thinking long-term. Do any of you get raises? If so, what kind? Are you paid per the line or hourly? Are there different levels of transcription in your place of employment with different pay scales? Do you make different rates for different dictators or work types? Are there any other kinds of advancement opportunities avai ...

Is This A Figment Of Someone's Imagination. Mmodal Transcription Opportunity.
Oct 03, 2012

M*Modal Transcription Opportunity - M*Modal Posted: Oct 2nd, 2012 - 2:18 pmM*Modal 5000 Meridan Blvd Franklin, TN 37067 mmodal@rightthinginc.com M*Modal is now accepting applications for Acute Care transcriptionists! Positions offer flexible afternoon/evening hours, great pay, sign on bonus, shift differential and benefits!At M*Modal We Are Committed to: Respect: We treat each other and our customers with respect, valuing individual and cultural differences and approaches to work. Teamwork: We ...

Are MLSs Given The Opportunity To Switch From Acute Care Over To Ambulatory
Jul 21, 2014

have plenty of work, have exclusive work pools and dictators, great support from QA and TSMs. ...

Part-time Transcription Opportunity In Mental Health Clinic/Bronx, NY
Sep 25, 2013

Wednesdays and Thursdays only. Must have medical terminology, knowledge of ICD-V codes, fast typing, Spanish speaking very helpful. Send resume to Samantha G. at 212-481-9582. ...