A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Fellow MT'ers - MT

Posted: May 04, 2010

I have been working for this hospital a year, after having worked from home for 15 years.  They brought their transcription back in-house and hired me and another transcriptionist around the same time. From the beginning, I was more productive than the other transcriptions, but there was not a minimum quota set at that time that we were aware of, so we were just cruising along.  Well, the work started getting behind and they started looking closely at the minutes we were doing, and I was doing double or more what the other person was doing.  They called the other employee in to tell her she had to increase her production.  The other transcriptionist and I had a good rapport at that time.  Well about 11 months later they realized she was still not up to par and called her in again.  I was not aware of this at the time, but noticed she was becoming very resentful of me.  Anyways, the supervisor told her she could go and pull out some of the 20-minute or 10-minute discharges to help boost her production, unbeknownst to me.  In the meantime, the other transcriptionist stopped speaking to me.  Well I called a meeting with the supervisor and the other transcriptionist to find out exactly what the rule was in regards to turn-around time and the order in which we do our work.  Well the supervisor said it was okay for this person to boost her lines by pulling discharges, that it did not matter at this point whether we did first in first out, because it was all about production at this point.  She also said she noticed that I was hitting the mark all the time and that after I was done with my op notes, I would pull in discharges which was padding my minutes.   I didn't think about what she said until I got home that night.  I was not pulling in discharges to pad my minutes, because I was surpassing my quota before I pulled in discharges, and I was pulling in discharges because that is what was left to do, as there were no ops.  My question to you is, should I confront her about that remark because it is not true.  I thought I was helping by pulling in the discharges after doing operative reports.

How did you find out all of this was going on? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Why would you ask about TAT? Are you watching what others do? You seem more in tune to it than the supervisor was. Maybe her remark was geared more toward mind your own business. We were usually told that as well when we questioned other's production, motives, etc. This is one of the problems with working in-house; you can see what others do literally. If you are not the supervisor then how do you so much about someone being called in about their production or lack thereof?

FYI Because the system we work on is - an open book

[ In Reply To ..]
1. The other transcriptionist told me the first time she was called in for not producing.
2. Whether she told me or not, we all have access to see each others production.
3. I did not question the other transcriptions production, the supervisors did.
4. The other transcriptionist knows the same thing about my production.

My question was to those who care to answer what you would do in the situation, confront the supervisor about the remark she made, or just drop and do what I'be been doing, and since it is allowable now to pull out large summaries to pad our minutes, do it because it is allowed?

Thank you very much

By the way, we are not paid on production at all - strictly hourly pay

[ In Reply To ..]
The other person was not meeting the 90 minutes required a day. We do not count lines.
My advice - see message - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Would be to let it go and do your best at your job. you are not responsible for what your coworker does, that is the manager's problem. I work in a situation similar to yours and can say from experience that if you continue to pursue it and compare yourself to your coworker, is is only going to cause more unhappiness and resentment.
Thank you so much. You confirmed what I was - thinking to do. Just needed that
[ In Reply To ..]

extra boost.Cool

I agree - the OPs situation sounds similar to what I went through - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
I have since left, but back then we had a girl that was not meeting her production quota. She was too busy fluttering around the hospital talking to the docs and nurses and gabbing with the volunteer retired ladies who ran the gift shop. But she had the supervisor convinced that she was the best at what she does. Needless to say we would get complaints from docs that she typed 1200 mg, instead of 200, wrong meds, and whole sentences missing (because when she couldn't understand something instead of leaving a blank or having someone listen, she would just not put the sentence in). We spoke to our supervisor about it, and this girl (actually ready for retirement age woman) decided it was time for pay back and spent most of her time going through our reports line by line, finding wrong placed comma's go, etc. She started pulling in the longer minute discharges and H&Ps and leaving the crappy ones for us, so her production rate boosted and she got face-to-face time with our supervisor and then we were all dung. She also happened to be friends with the secretary of the CEO, so that didn't help. We were hourly, but we also had to meet an hourly quota. Anyway...the solution our supervisor decided was to make this gal lead MT over us and then we were all treated like shizakopf. I ended up moving out of the area and kept in touch and heard the lady has since retired and the day after she retired the department had a party. LOL

I learned that sometimes it's best just to not say anything because in the end you end up looking worse off. My coworker was telling me at the time to not even bother with it and that was our supe's job to decide who does what work and just do the best I can. She said the same exact thing you just did. It will only cause unhapiness and resentment (on my part).

Once I let go I was able to relax. Then I moved away and that even solved it more. Needless to say my coworker cried when I left cos now she had to deal with her alone. HA HA
line counts versus hourly - tootsie
[ In Reply To ..]
One thing I found really strange in this whole entire thread is that the OP stated that they get paid strictly hourly and not by production, so how could she possibly "pad her line counts?" Something smells fishy here.
Even when you are paid hourly you still need to maintain line counts - hourly hospital employee
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the below that you should just continue doing what you are doing. Or, ask what work type your supervisor would rather you do after your OP notes are done. Just say, "I noticed that you said something about me doing discharges when my OPs are done, is there some other work type that you would rather me do? I just thought I was helping out with the backlog, but I don't want to be taking work away from other MTs either"

opinion - I do not think you did

[ In Reply To ..]
anything wrong at all. I would continue pulling the DS once you are done with the work that they want you to complete first. They should be happy that you are getting more done. GEEZ! Padding lines? WTH? I thought there was a BACKLOG!

Depending on the supervisor's current attitude towards you, I might go ahead and professionally approach her, just saying that you want to make sure that she understands that you are just trying to be productive and get the work caught up which is ultimately the important issue here.

I have often been in this same situation as you in my previous jobs (non-MT), where I was an overachiever and was actually criticized for doing so. It was a catch 22 situation, and I felt caught in the middle. Best wishes to you in figuring this all out.
An overachiever? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
This is the whole problem. Just because someone does not meet the required quota does not make them an under achiever. It could make them someone that is more concerned about their quality rather than quantity.

As for the padding line comment from the supervisor, if the shoe fits wear it. If you feel you are not doing that, then continue on as you currently are and quit worrying about what others are doing or not doing.

There is more to this than just someone resents you and you have no idea why or how. I'm really reading into this but I am totally seeing this OP as a toot my own horn kind of thing but is being called out as to how they got so productive and the supervisor is aware and I think the supervisor is letting you know that he/she is aware of what you are doing.

Why OP are you mad that someone else gets to do the discharges? Are you afraid she may get faster than you or are you mad she learned your secret to success, which you stated that you are doing since you take other things that pad your lines?

You say it is not true, but I really think it is true and that is why you are worried about even asking on here. If you were not padding your lines, then you wouldn't care either way.

There is way more to this story. I would bank on that.
Some responses doesn't merit a reply, and the above is one of them. - Must have struck a nerve.
[ In Reply To ..]
Be blessed my fellow MT.
Just because someone posts that they are not agreement - does not make them a bad person.
[ In Reply To ..]
Obviously there is an issue with the OP worrying about what others are doing; she knows way too much to be so out of the loop as she proclaims.

There is no question about it. Do what you have always done and do not worry about what others are doing. I learned that when I was 5. Grow up!

P/S: I have worked with people like this OP; they try to make themselves look good when they are really cheating the system and themselves. She knows it is true otherwise she would not be trying to defend herself. She starts off with how great she is and better than everyone else. Read the post! So only she is right and her coworkers and the supervisor just have it all wrong? Cut me a break!
In total agreement with you on this one! sm - AMEN AMEN AMEN
[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, worked with someone like OP. She was ticked off because I was the one being more productive and kept whining about her "seniority." The dept mgr finally called a meeting and told her point blank that her seniority didn't mean squat and just because I could be more productive, she should keep her nose to herself and figure out ways to increase HER productivity instead of sitting around complaining about mine. It didn't end well for her, and because we "hurt her feelings" she quit. Good riddance, and most of the other MTs in the department were very VERY relieved. She was a whiner from the get-go, starting at 8 a.m. sharp when she got there.

*****MYOB**** is what she was told, and I think in this case it would be a good idea for the OP to do the same. The OP's line count is obviously NOT being affected by what the other MT - or anybody else for that matter - is or isn't doing.
Well she's obviously - - "defending" herself - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
because another poster put her on the defensive. Lighten up. You never answered her question, instead started telling her she must have done something wrong. You need to grow up.
I would finish the required work first and then ask the supervisor what she wants you to do next - Probably Discharges
[ In Reply To ..]
Put it back in her court. Do what is required and expected. Then, before doing anything else, ask what your supervisor would prefer that you do next. Don't do it sarcastically or with an attitude. Tell her you were concerned about what she said about padding lines, which makes no sense at all by the way since you aren't being paid on production, but let her know you want to do the work that she wants you on next. She'll get the point without your arguing with her about padding your lines.
Also, Pay Attention Only To Your Own Work If You Can - Take Care Of Your Own Business
[ In Reply To ..]
I think all of us do better if we totally block out what others are doing and just work toward our very own best. Nothing is gained by competing with others or making another MT look bad, which I doubt that you were trying to do.

I suggest that you keep careful track of your own progress. Also, find out what is important to your boss, and make that your priority. She has to answer to her boss, so eventually whatever is good for her is good for you. In other words, do a good job and let the chips fall where they may with the other MTs.

Similar Messages:

THANK YOU FOR ALL MY FELLOW MTs
Nov 04, 2010

I just wanted to take the time to thank all of you guys for being so caring about each other.  When the system went down, you were right there encouraging each other.  Somebody gave the site address of the Red/Yello/Green status (which I admit I had forgotten and could not get into E-mail to retrieve it).  I went to the site and clicked right and made a shortcut.  Others gave instructions on what to do for down time.  I just think you all are GREAT!!!  It is so nice ...

Please Fellow MTs, Whatever You Do, Do Not
Nov 18, 2011

hire on with Accentus!!  Not only will they load your PC with junk software that will make it crash (mine has 3 times so far), but they will be rude and claim you abandoned your job!!  Very rude staff and the poster below is an owner.  I am just trying to warn others.  That is my last word on the issue. ...

Help Out There For A Fellow MT?
Aug 04, 2012

Can someone help me get a job there?  I am a very hard worker, not afraid of ESL, stick to my schedule, QA 99-100%.  I just finished the test, but I was wondering how they grade, based on what, because I didn't get a chance to explain things like headings, use of BOS (using mL for cc, is that already expected throughout the industry) or was everything supposed to be strict verbatim?  Also, punctuation and grammar now is expected to be perfect, but if it doesn't interfere ...

Something Nice For Fellow MTs.
Jul 21, 2010

STONE TWO FRIENDS WERE WALKINGTHROUGH THE DESERT .DURING SOME POINT OF THEJOURNEY, THEY HAD ANARGUMENT; AND ONE FRIENDSLAPPED THE OTHER ONEIN THE FACETHE ONE WHO GOT SLAPPEDWAS HURT, BUT WITHOUTSAYING ANYTHING,WROTE IN THE SAND ,TODAY MY BEST FRIENDSLAPPED ME IN THE FACE .THEY KEPT ON WALKING,UNTIL THEY FOUND AN OASIS,WHERE THEY DECIDEDTO TAKE A BATHTHE ONE WHO HAD BEENSLAPPED GOT STUCK IN THEMIRE AND STARTED DROWNING,BUT THE FRIEND SAVED HIM.AFTER HE RECOVERED FROMTH ...

Fellow Transcriptionists . . .
Oct 11, 2011

I am now down to 3 companies (from 4) trying to make a living at this, wondering what I should do next.  I'd like to go get my coding diploma and move on from there as I cannot take this anymore.  Four jobs and between all of them I got $700 last week and am still waiting for checks to arrive.  I asked one of them why it wasn't DD and they said they would cut and mail the check.  Lord knows when the other one will arrive.  I don't know, don't YOU ...

Referring Fellow MTs
Feb 28, 2013

Nuance actually had the nerve to send out an email about referring fellow MTs to their company.  Either they are that brazen or just clueless as to how bad their company is.  I don't advise anyone looking for a job to even consider this field, let alone the worst company I've ever worked for. ...

Does Your Company Allow You To Have Fellow Team...sm
May 03, 2010

Fellow team members yahoo IDs?  Or is it frowned upon?  My company frowns on interacting with fellow employees.  It makes you feel so isolated though.  Is this a common practice with companies cause I've never really encountered it before?  This is my first time working for a big national though, so maybe that's why I haven't encountered this before.    ...

Let's Make A Stand For Fellow MTs
Jun 06, 2010

It is very disheartening to hear what has happened to our fellow MTs who have recently been terminated by Transcend.  To add insult to injury they turn around and have an abudance of openings they are now hiring for.  I will not apply there and I feel no one else should either.  Make them sweat it!   I know it is tough right now and we all need a good job.  This has got to stop and the only way these companies won't get away with it is if we don't tolerat ...

Input Wanted From My Fellow MQ'rs
Jun 10, 2010

I'm totally getting burned out at MQ.  If it's not the NJA with requests to change schedule, then it's the lack of primary and getting other unknown accounts slowing me down.  I've gone from full-time at MQ down to working part-time with another part-time job to make up lost income now for the past 7 months.  When I started MT'ing so many years ago, the pay was great and being able to set my own schedule was a real plus as well.  It was the ...

Job Offer - Need Input From Fellow MTs
Jul 29, 2010

FT IC Radiology  Per minute 0.95 per minute until out of QA 1.05 per minute following release from QA 600 minute minimum per pay period. Above 120 minutes = 1 and 1/2 x 1.05 per minute I have over 15 years of experience.  I need to know if this can pay my bills but it is hard to gauge without knowing the account (how many templates/normals are used, if cherrypicking takes place, if the account is overstaffed or if there is working during the afternoon shift).  ...

Some Advice For Fellow Newbies
Aug 02, 2010

As a former “newbie”, I would like to offer a little bit of advice to other newbies.  When I first got into medical transcription, I thought that some of the advice given on these boards was a little harsh and sometimes downright nasty.  Without a doubt, there are always going to be some nasty people on message boards, but overall, I think most of the advice given here is well intentioned.  Let me explain a little bit of my story.   I was unemployed for about si ...

Happy Thanksgiving To All My Fellow MTs
Nov 28, 2013

out there.   If you are working ~ hope there is plenty of work and if you are off ~ hope you have a blessed day with family! ...

Fellow MT Suggested Oracle. Do They Have Enough Work?
Apr 01, 2010

Looking for more work, need a company with plenty! ...

Redpen And Fellow Coders, Infusion?
Jun 24, 2010

What is your opinion on the ICD-9 Procedure code for an infusion of Remicade for rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn's disease?  Since this is considered a high-risk drug, the CPT codes are in the antineoplastic category.  But matching up a ICD-9 is not clear.  Since Remicade is a biologic response modifier you can go down that path.  It is also a monoclonal antibody, so you can go down that path.  So far I have come up with 99.28, 99.25, 00.18, and the usual 99.29.  ...

To My Fellow ETrans Co-workers, I Think I Know How The Turkey
Oct 03, 2011

feels at Thanksgiving ...

HAPPY MT WEEK To All My Fellow M*Modal MTs!
May 20, 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR FELLOW TRANSCRIPTIONISTS!
Dec 31, 2012

I just wanted to wish all of us good health, and a happy and prosporus New Year in 2013! I think we all could use a break from worrying, working too much or too little and see a future in medical transcription without our jobs being ripped out from under us through outsourcing or smaller pay. I know it's wishful thinking, but Happy New Year to all of you. MT2 ...

Good Monday Morning, Fellow MTs!
Apr 15, 2013

company work song (like they do in Japan)! Suggestions? ...

Dear MModal And Fellow Transcriptionists
Mar 09, 2015

I have been off your payroll for one week and three days.  This has been the happiest days of my life.  I do not miss you at all.  What you have done is take medical transcriptionists and make them into editors.  If we wanted to check what some computer or some foreigner had typed, we would have taken that course in college.  We transcribe.  It is what we do.  It is what we do best.  When you expect us to edit, you take away our ability to create, which is ...

Across The Board Apology To My Respected Fellow MQers. Sm
Nov 30, 2010

First, I suppose I have come across here in a tone that was bitter and hateful.  I ask forgiveness for that.  Now, to tell me I am wrong for venting my hatred (wow, where did that come from) and venom on here was extremely hurtful to me.  I have read many, many, many posts here on this board; which is meant to be a place where we can share and vent supposedly without recrimination and some empathy.  And there are many who are also long-time employees who have serious medical ...

Dear Fellow MTs Who Were Hired To Help Out A Sister On The Night Shift...
Jul 20, 2011

I don't mean to sound like a dink, but I'm wicked exhausted from working my fingers to the bone, 7 nights a week for several weeks now, because people who were hired to work the graveyard shift are flaking out and not showing up or pulling their weight.  No, I don't HAVE to work 7 nights a week, and yet I'm doing it because I'm terrified the wonderful little company that I've worked for, for nearly 11 years now, will lose this really big acc ...