A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Entry Level Pay - StaceyB

Posted: Jun 10, 2011

Hi all,

Just a quick question.  In all your years of experience, what would you think would be a fair starting pay (hourly please) at a smaller acute care hospital doing varied types of jobs?  I do a lot of typing for the actual hospital, the two clinics (one inside the hospital and our satellite clinic in another town) and physical therapy.   I do alot of transcription but I also have a lot of other medical records duties as well that I have to balance.  I do have education in transcription. Can anyone give me a general idea, all answers welcome and thank you!

you might be asking the wrong place, most of us work at home for cents per line. - anon (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
and the bulk of us work for transcription companies hired by the hospitals - not for the hospital as their direct employee. There are a few MTs who work at home for the hospitals directly, but I believe they, too, are paid CPL and not hourly.

I think you need to research surrounding facilities to the one you are working for, to get a ballpark handle on hourly pay range for the area.

Entry level pay - just guessing

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure what state you are in or how self-sufficient you are in your skills, but I would say at least $13 to start and maybe $16 with some experience and up to around $20 for skilled help. Also are there benefits involved? These are usally much better than what the transcription companies have to offer. There is usually holiday pay, over time, etc. I would take what is offered to get my foot in the door.

Try... - MT in PA

[ In Reply To ..]
going to salary.com and typing in medical transcriptionist and the zip code of the hospital. I find it pretty acurrate, as what you are asking is based mostly on where you live and is almost impossible to answer. What someone may tell you they think is reasonable may be totally different from what your hospital thinks is reasonable.

Question: You sound like you already have the job and have been working it for some time, I am confused as to why you would need to know the average starting salary if you already work the job. Are you not getting paid? Just confused. Did I miss something?

Similar Messages:

Entry-level
Apr 09, 2012

Hello, I am a new MT looking for entry-level work.  Is there such a thing?  Is there a new law that requires a minimum of 1 year experience as an MT?  Please help.  If anyone knows the answers to my questions, please post them.  Thank you   ...

Does 5 Cpl W/o Spaces Seem Low For Entry Level?
Oct 27, 2009

Also would not get my first paycheck for 60 days. Does that seem fishy? They also want me to sign a no competition contract that I will not seek employment with another company that could be considered competition for 3 years. Is that normal? ...

Entry Level Coders
Apr 05, 2010

I was wondering if anybody knew of any companies that hire entry level coders.  I went to school and got my CCA certificate, but have never done coding in a clinical setting.  I'm also a medical transcriptionist with 20 years experience. ...

Entry Level Jobs
Oct 20, 2014

I am new to M.T.  Does anyone have any great advice or know of any companies that hire entry level mts ...

Overqualified For Entry Level, Underqualified For Everything Else?????
Mar 26, 2010

Okay, here's the situation I am in. I graduated school in 2008, but i got hired before I even graduated and I have been transcribing IC for a local family practice for 3 years. Therefore, I have school + 3 years experience, just not in a hosptial or acute care setting, which seems to be everyone's requirement! I noticed someone said Spheris hires newbies so I checked out their site. For the new graduates, it says you must have graduated in the past 6 months or within the past year and ...

Medical Transcriptionist Entry Level
Mar 29, 2010

Yes, current graduate of Stratford Career Institute with a diploma in Medical Transcriptionist, having a hard time finding entry level work--any suggestions..?????I am a Certified Medical Technologist as well..I need part time work at home for now.. ...

Transcription Experience But Looking For Entry Level MT
Sep 26, 2012

Work has slowed down doing transcription in the entertainment business and I work for three companies.  I've had discharge summary experience in the past with light radiology. Does anyone know of any companies hiring newbies for MT work?  I can't stand not working.  Type 85 wpm, use Word and Express Scribe and a digital foot pedal.  U.S. citizen. ...

Finding Entry Level Positions
Sep 16, 2013

Feeling frustrated and seeking advice. I graduated from Career Step with Honors but can't find an entry level position. I am hoping for flexibility and ESLs are not my first choice for transcribing, but beyond that I am very flexible in what I am looking for. Any suggestions of where to look?!?  ...

Looking For Entry Level Medical Transcription Work In MN
Mar 03, 2010

Hi everyone. I am a recent graduate from Rasmussen online college with a 2 year degree in medical transcription. I just graduated in September. I did land a very very part time homed medical transcription job in mid November and was let go in January because the lady I subcontracted for told me she needed me to be perfect within 2 months and I wasn't delivering the kind of perfection she needed. I kept reminding her that I had 0 medical transcription experience before my education training ...

Digoxin Level - Dig Level.. Capitalize The "D?"
Jan 22, 2013

When typing "Dig level," does the "D" need to be capitalized?  TIA! ...

Entry Tests
Apr 06, 2010

Will be taking my first employer test. Do you get a chance to skim your test afterward to clean it up, or is it first take goes? Thanks. ...

Rate Of Pay For Entry In To An EHR
Dec 30, 2011

I have been working for a doc's office doing traditional transcription for a couple of years and I have charged a per line fee for my service.  I have recently been approaced by another doc's office to work with their EHR.  A very small amount of the work is actually transcribing.  Most of it will be point-and-click from a list of selections based on the doc's dictation.  I have no idea how much to charge for this kind of work.  Does anyone have any idea w ...

Data Entry
Apr 14, 2014

I applied for a data entry job today after being unemployed for nearly 3-1/2 months. I can't seem to find anything I think I could start out doing after being home over the years. It seems data entry would fit for me. Getting back out there is hard. Depression has taken over, but I'm trying to manage without medication. Most days, I would like to go to bed and stay, but haven't up until this point. Anyway, thanks for listening to me vent. I pray I will at least get to interview, ...

HOW DO YOU DELETE ENTRY FROM DICTIONARY
Nov 02, 2010

Does anyone know how to delete entries from user dictionary?  Thanks in advance ...

DATA ENTRY VS TRANSCRIPTION PAY
Mar 20, 2014

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated regarding the salaries for a data entry clerk versus a transcriptionist.  Should a transcriptionist's pay be less, the same or more than a data entry clerk, and if you feel it should be more, how much more?  Thank you for your comments.  ...

Angiography Entry Site Sealed With
May 04, 2011

the angiography entry site was sealed with s/l "Mint" device?? ...

Data Entry Or Medical Transcription?
May 13, 2011

It seems that more and more companies, including some hospitals, are paying per line but then expecting you to do data entry, which of course you are NOT paid for. Just a few examples: Acute care on Dictaphone ExText/Word Client -- faxing, etc. McKisson -- Looking up and changing orders for radiographic studies Rad job posted here -- Entering patient demographics If an employer expects me to sit there and do data entry -- which has NO shortcuts -- IN ADDITION TO transcibing, then they' ...

A Question About Data Entry Skills-sm
Mar 26, 2012

I am looking for work as an Mt and not having any luck.  Today, I searched the job service board and found a cool job.  It is an IC position with flexible hours and very good pay.  It is collecting data for the county/township and entering it into a lap top.  They want you to be ableto enter 7000 or more strokes per hour.  I meet all the qualifications except this which, of course, is "key" to the job.  I know nothing of data entry but I hate to pass on the opportun ...

Wikipedia Entry For Medical Transcription
Jan 01, 2013

During a lull in my workload (Happy New Year!), I googled Wiki's take on our profession.  I have to say I'm impressed with the description--pretty much every aspect of the evolution of medical transcription is covered, even the negative turn of events (VR, pay cuts, etc.) in recent years with regard to us MTs being unappreciated-and underpaid.  Thought you guys might want to check it out if you haven't already. ...

With E-scription, How Do I Delete An Entry In The Date Field
Dec 23, 2009

nm ...

How To I Remove Duplicated Entry On Fiesa Log Sheet? Tried To Access User Guide But Nothing Happene
Mar 02, 2014

unfortunately, I have to report my daily lines on Fiesa log sheets in order to be paid.   ...

Level 2 Or Level II
Mar 09, 2011

Ok, Level 2 or Level II. I went back to the material from when I was going through school and is shows as Level 2, however, researching via Google comes up as Level II.  Which would be correct. ...

BUN Level
Aug 04, 2011

Has anyone ever heard of a BUN level as low as 3?  The creatinine is 1.1.  The patient is in the hospital for weakness and is not on dialysis. ...

Epidural Level?
Dec 15, 2009

is planning on a lumbar epidural steroid injection. I am not sure of the level he is planning on. If it is at 4 5 or 5 6, I think he has a good chance of relief of arm pain ...

Chloride Level
Jun 07, 2010

Has anyone ever heard of a chloride level being as low as 13?  He clearly says this, but I've never heard of it that low. ...

Educational Level
Oct 28, 2010

"Clinically he is doing really good."  And we are the ones making minimum wage? ...

Pain Level
Aug 30, 2011

is correct to transcribe pain level is 0/10 or zero out of ten? ...

Digoxin Level
Sep 30, 2011

He's referring to a Digoxin level and shortens it to say "s/l Dij level".  I realize that it's probably not spelled with the j, but if I write it Dig level, then it's like digging with that "g" sound....would you leave it "Dig level"? ...

How Do I Write This? PH Level
Oct 25, 2011

I now the pH scale, but I'm confused by what this doctor said.   "...her pH remained low at 717"   She said "Seven One Seven." She speaks clearly, so I'm confident she is saying this. No other pH levels are given in the report. ...

Re:paycuts Top Level
Nov 07, 2011

The last pay cut they made to me was with ASR.  they did not touch my transcription rate YET, but I know I read on here someone was at the top of their level as to how much they could make and they went from 0.009 to 0.003.  It sounds like this was the transcription rate?  Did they actually cut some of the MTs base pay to more than half?  This just blows me away if they did this.  I have not been on here too much on a steady basis because I get even more d ...