A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Data entry or medical transcription? - Seeker

Posted: May 13, 2011

It seems that more and more companies, including some hospitals, are paying per line but then expecting you to do data entry, which of course you are NOT paid for.

Just a few examples:

Acute care on Dictaphone ExText/Word Client -- faxing, etc.

McKisson -- Looking up and changing orders for radiographic studies

Rad job posted here -- Entering patient demographics

If an employer expects me to sit there and do data entry -- which has NO shortcuts -- IN ADDITION TO transcibing, then they'd better be willing to pay me a GOOD line rate to make up for it.

Hmmm. There's a lot of talk about different ways - our work may morph with the EHR. Do you

[ In Reply To ..]
get any sense at all from your company that this downgrade into data entry might be a start of a bigger change toward other higher-skill functions, such as basic coding, data tagging, etc.?

BTW, regarding money, it does seem possible that the larger changes being discussed may eventually head back to hourly rates. No help for you now, of course, but the big picture is very interesting--whatever it is.

I totally agree with you!!! Too much to do before I can even get into - the report to type

[ In Reply To ..]

Compounded by the glacial speed of their software! - Thumb-Twiddling Thelma

[ In Reply To ..]
=)

That's why I want to go back to hourly. - Phooey on all this data-entry garbage.

[ In Reply To ..]
XX

Similar Messages:

DATA ENTRY VS TRANSCRIPTION PAY
Mar 20, 2014

Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated regarding the salaries for a data entry clerk versus a transcriptionist.  Should a transcriptionist's pay be less, the same or more than a data entry clerk, and if you feel it should be more, how much more?  Thank you for your comments.  ...

Wikipedia Entry For Medical Transcription
Jan 01, 2013

During a lull in my workload (Happy New Year!), I googled Wiki's take on our profession.  I have to say I'm impressed with the description--pretty much every aspect of the evolution of medical transcription is covered, even the negative turn of events (VR, pay cuts, etc.) in recent years with regard to us MTs being unappreciated-and underpaid.  Thought you guys might want to check it out if you haven't already. ...

Looking For Entry Level Medical Transcription Work In MN
Mar 03, 2010

Hi everyone. I am a recent graduate from Rasmussen online college with a 2 year degree in medical transcription. I just graduated in September. I did land a very very part time homed medical transcription job in mid November and was let go in January because the lady I subcontracted for told me she needed me to be perfect within 2 months and I wasn't delivering the kind of perfection she needed. I kept reminding her that I had 0 medical transcription experience before my education training ...

Data Entry
Apr 14, 2014

I applied for a data entry job today after being unemployed for nearly 3-1/2 months. I can't seem to find anything I think I could start out doing after being home over the years. It seems data entry would fit for me. Getting back out there is hard. Depression has taken over, but I'm trying to manage without medication. Most days, I would like to go to bed and stay, but haven't up until this point. Anyway, thanks for listening to me vent. I pray I will at least get to interview, ...

A Question About Data Entry Skills-sm
Mar 26, 2012

I am looking for work as an Mt and not having any luck.  Today, I searched the job service board and found a cool job.  It is an IC position with flexible hours and very good pay.  It is collecting data for the county/township and entering it into a lap top.  They want you to be ableto enter 7000 or more strokes per hour.  I meet all the qualifications except this which, of course, is "key" to the job.  I know nothing of data entry but I hate to pass on the opportun ...

Anyone Inquired About This One: "Data Entry Database Compiler - Karen"?
Apr 20, 2010

I saw this one on the Job Seeker board (http://forum.mtstars.com/223201.html) and was wondering if anyone responded to it yet. On some levels, it seems legit...but then on other hand it seems like a scam because it keeps talking about their "database compiler software," and I keep thinking about those companies that'll hire you to work for them but in order for you to make "real money" you'd have to buy their software. I know there's plenty of free compiler software on the net, ...

Medical Transcriptionist Entry Level
Mar 29, 2010

Yes, current graduate of Stratford Career Institute with a diploma in Medical Transcriptionist, having a hard time finding entry level work--any suggestions..?????I am a Certified Medical Technologist as well..I need part time work at home for now.. ...

STP Medical Data Services, Inc.
Mar 23, 2010

Anyone know anything about STP Medical Data Services? ...

What Does A Medical Data Abstractor?
Nov 02, 2011

What does a medical data abstractor do? Is this a remote job or an in-house job? Thanks in advance ...

Medical Data Services
Jul 29, 2013

Does anyone know anything about this company and if they have much work available, how the pay is, etc.? ...

Medical Data Services - Any Experience
Nov 03, 2014

Has anyone had any experience or know anything of Medical Data Services?  I am a recent graduate and was referred to them by my school. Thanks for any input. ...

Medical Data Services? Company Or A Small Owner?
Dec 03, 2010

7 cents a line for independent contracting and for radiology?  What is going on with this business?  The hospitals at least treated us with hourly wages and health benefits.  Now what gives?  For years we fought in-house over knowing that you cannot treat radiology the same and line count it the same either, yet you work just as hard.  Now, 7 cents without taking out taxes?  Every hospital I know has no transcription radiology department any more anyway, so may ...

Transcription Experience But Looking For Entry Level MT
Sep 26, 2012

Work has slowed down doing transcription in the entertainment business and I work for three companies.  I've had discharge summary experience in the past with light radiology. Does anyone know of any companies hiring newbies for MT work?  I can't stand not working.  Type 85 wpm, use Word and Express Scribe and a digital foot pedal.  U.S. citizen. ...

Data-Med Transcription
May 01, 2013

What do you know about this company? Apparently they have a backlog and need help. ...

How Much Data Do You Use Per Month On Your Transcription Platform?
Mar 26, 2015

I live in the boonies and have a satellite connection, for this I am switching to the phone hotspot. However, I have even MORE reduced net speed now because HughesNet likes to dock speed for people who go over the limit for the month. My plan is 10 or 20 gigs...and on the hotspot, I just went through 2 gigs in maybe 20 minutes, something that really blew my mind. That would be like thousands of gigs a month and it seems really ridiculous that it is even possible.  ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...

JLG Medical Transcription
Sep 09, 2010

Any info on JLG pros/cons, pay would be greatly appreciated. ...

Medical Transcription.
Jan 21, 2011

I have a certificate through Stratford Career Institute and have had a hard time trying to get employment. I don't have any prior experience in the medical transcription field and am very interested in getting pointed in the right direction on what to do from here on how I can further a career in this field. If anyone can be of some help please let me know. ...

Non Medical Transcription
Feb 02, 2011

I am an independent contractor. Have always charged per line count. Have an opportunity to transcribe 30 minute audio interviews. Any thoughts on what or how to charge for this? Thanks! ...

Qed Medical Transcription
Apr 02, 2011

Has anyone ever tried taking the typing test for QED transcription? For some reason I am not getting into the testing site.  '( ...

U.S. Transcription Non Medical
Sep 01, 2011

I answered an ad for U.S. Transcription posted on MT Jobs, was asked to test, and within an hour of submitting my test I was offered a job.  After my heart came down from a happy dance at an actual job offer, I found I really have some things to think about before I say yes. This would be for 2nd shift, non-medical transcription at 0.06/cpl for straight transcription, 0.03/cpl if a company provided template is used.  I suppose I need to ask what my expected production would be before ...

Looking At Going Into Medical Transcription
Nov 14, 2011

I am looking into the Medical Transcription field but wanted to get info about the field from those that are in it before I take the plunge.  I'm not looking at earning a huge salary or medical benefits etc, just some extra to help the HH income. I'm looking at Career Step for my certificate. Any factual info or career experience would be appreciated. ...

Same Day Medical Transcription
Mar 24, 2012

Has anyone heard anything about this transcription company or done any work for them?  What was your experience?  Thanks. ...

New To Medical Transcription
Apr 20, 2012

I'm fairly new to medical transcription. I received my certification in 2010 and was a little discouraged when applying for jobs and they were all looking for experienced agents to work from home. I've recently decided to start back looking for work and decided to offer my services free of charge just to get the experience so I can apply in a year or two for actual paying work. Has anyone else done this or know how to get started? Or even know someone who needs a transcription intern? ...

USA Medical Transcription, Inc.
May 03, 2012

Watch out for this company .... They seem a bit strange. ...