A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

RHIT DEGREE VS CODING CERTIFICATION - ph

Posted: Feb 13, 2013

In researching an HIT degree, I have mostly come across job descriptions that include coding.  I am currently a medical transcriptionist and jobs are now being shipped off shore.  Are coding jobs being shipped off shore as well?  And, if so, what would the benefit be of a degree in Health Information Techology?  What jobs are available other than coding and medical records?

I have no idea where to begin - Wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm wondering if you took the advice below which directed you to the AHIMA website.

There is a ton of material there on jobs in health information. It's far better than any of us could explain in a board post. There is even a career path gadget that helps you explore different choices.

Please do some research reading there before looking at any more job ads. Job ads do not give you a very good picture of the field.

Similar Messages:

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

RHIT Certification
Jan 05, 2010

Looking at college courses at the local community college, I figure I am two semesters away from an associates degree and ability to be RHIT certified.  Are you guys certified?  Is there online work for coding?  Is the pay decent?  In your opinion, is this a good move to make?  ...

RHIT Courses/certification
Jul 06, 2011

Hi, I was wondering if anyone in the Chicago area would care to comment on the RHIT associates degree course at College of DuPage?  Does it prepare  you well for the RHIT certification exam?  Is it a good preparation for the RHIA program you later pursued (I am thinking of University of Illinois-Chicago)?  I am an 18-year transcription veteran hoping to become a coder and then possibly a Direction of HIM eventually.  ANY help would be much appreciated!  Thanks in Ad ...

Do I Need An Associates Degree To Sit For The AHIMA Certification Exam?
May 09, 2010

so very confused now.  wanted to sign up for AHIMA but now i read this on their site.   Step One: Education Step one begins with a college education. You need to complete either an associate or bachelor's degree program in health information management offered at over 200 colleges and universities across the country. For a listing of accredited programs, click here.  ...

Former RHIT Looking To Get Back Into Coding
Jan 06, 2014

I have my AA degree and sat and passed for the RHIT about 10 years ago.  I worked as a coder for just one year before I decided to become an MT.  Obviously, this is a choice I now regret.  I no longer have my RHIT so I would need to study for it, but so much has changed since then and I'm not quite sure where I should go for refresher courses?  I've checked out AHIMA and they have a few options for me, but just wondering if anyone has any advice or if they've t ...

RHIT Vs. Coding Cert.
May 13, 2014

I am RHIT eligible and would definitely need a refresher before I took the test.  If I am looking for coding positions, would it be better to have a coding certification or the RHIT? Does it matter? ...

RHIT Prepare You For Coding
Jul 23, 2014

I see programs to sit for RHIT but does that prepare you for coding?  Is it required to get your CCA for that?  ...

Associates Degree Medical Coding
May 07, 2010

Im so confused, I keep reading on different forums on line how hard it can be to break into medical coding. Does having an AA degree help?  Is that a plus?  I see some on line colleges that are accredited offer AA degrees, AABS degrees, etc.....whats the difference? Is it better for a newbie to go straight to AHIMA and take their cluster of courses or take an on line billing class through one of the on-line universities, then go test at AHIMA and AAPC?  ...

Can You Take The RHIT Or CCS Having Just Finished Coding School?
Apr 01, 2010

I am thinking about taking a billing/coding class, but noticed that getting a job after that involved having the RHIT or CCS.  I am wonding if this will be a catch 22 and don't want to spend time in school for coding if I cannot pass these 2 tests when I am done, as it looks like I will not be able to get hired without these certificates.  Sorry about the confusion on this.  Thanks for your time and info. ...

Career Change - RHIT, Coding And LPN?
Aug 02, 2011

I've been an MT for 10 years but for the past year I have been in school working towards an AA degree in Health Information Management.  I would like to be an RHIT and do coding somewhere.  However, I like it but not enough to want to do this for the rest as my life as I am only 34.  I love the medical field and want to stay in it but am thinking of switching my major.  I think maybe switching to LPN and then eventually become an RN.  I think that I might enjoy working with people more ...

RHIT And Medical Coding Future
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Coding Certification
Mar 24, 2014

Now that it has become evident that M*Modal is willing to utilize uncertified coders, do you suppose other employers will follow suit in not requiring their coders to hold certifiications?  Will this become a trend?  Why or why not? ...

Coding School And Certification
May 04, 2012

I am presently training in a new position at a physician's office.  I will be doing coding and billing.  I have coded in the past but I would like to go to school and become certified.  Can anyone please direct me in a good program rather on line or in the middle Tennessee area?  I have been an MT since 1986 and sadly this is a dying art.  Thank you. ...

CPC Certification -- Outpatient Coding Only??
Mar 26, 2013

With every intent of taking some classes in the fall to be able to sit for the CPC exam, I just read a post from another coder that the CPC only qualifies you to code for doctor's offices.  I currently work in a hospital, with the idea to try to transition to a coding position.  Will this just be a big waste for me?  What about the CPC-H?    ...

Coding Credentials/Certification
Apr 30, 2015

Good evening coders :)  I have been reviewing many posts and notice a trend of sorts.  Many posters feel that the AHIMA recognized RHIT credential is not sufficient to gain employment as a coder or that attending a 2 year AAS HIM program is not enough education to the ability to be a sucessful coder.  I was curious about geographic location playing a role in these assumptions?   As an employee in an HIM department, my director possesses the RHIT credential as well as majorit ...

Medical Coding - Wanted To Get CCS Certification?
Sep 16, 2012

I have  been a medical transcriptionist for just over 10 years but I am now looking into coding.  I was hoping for some info on this.  How easy is it to get a job working from home?  Is it hard to get a job straight out of school? What  would be the best school if I wanted to get CCS certification?  I have heard that Andrews School was a good one but would love input from everyone.  Thanks! ...

Coding Jobs That Hire You Without Certification? Sm
Jun 08, 2015

I wanna switch to coding from transcription after 14 years. I do have an Associate degree in health information technology and know coding, DRGs, inpatient and outpatient, SNOMED and CPT codes, ICD9 and some computerized systems. I'd love to continue working at home. Right now I am an MT but wouled like to do something else. Us transcriptionists fear our supervisors calls, letters...we avoid email sometimes for fear of the dreadfull termination letters. Ready for bed now.  I need to wo ...

When Will Coding Certification Tests Implement ICD-10 Testing?
Jan 06, 2015

Has there been an "official" word on when certification tests (CCA, CCS, CPC) will begin using ICD-10. AHIMA site indicates "once ICD-10 is implemented," which I assume would be October, but I swear I've seen posts that people have taken the tests using ICD-10 recently...?   Thank you! ...

So Should I Just Forego My MT 2 Year Degree And Go On To My Bachelors Degree In Something Else Compl
Mar 08, 2010

After hearing all the hum drum about the future of new medical transcriptionists on this website, I'm starting to feel like a real numskull for even choosing my 2 year degree in medical transcription. It just seems like there's no hope for new medical transcriptionists these days. Should I just get any regular job and just go for my bachelors degree in something completely different? Since I've been posting on hear for the last week and so far the answers to my questions have bee ...

1st Degree Over First Degree AV Block
Feb 11, 2013

Can anyone tell me, and I mean if you are on the forum right now if 1st degree block AV block is now acceptable or even preferred over first degree AV block?  Don't get me wrong guys, no matter when you answer it, it will help me.  I would just have like an answer if possible tonight, but I realiize that is asking too much.  Just answer whenever you get some time.  I would appreciate it.  Thanks guys!! Hope!  ...

3rd Degree?
Apr 06, 2010

I've been all over the Internet and my texts and past assignments and I cannot find a definitive answer to this.  I'm trying to decide whether it should be "third degree compression fracture" or "3rd degree compression fracture" as everything I've seen online says to spell it out as it pertains to burns.  I'm assuming it would be the same for fractures, but I can't find anything that describes a compression fracture as a degree.  Does anyone know this one ...

I Don't Know What To Get A Degree In
Apr 19, 2014

I'm going back to school. I know that I want a bachelor's degree. The trouble is, I don't know what I want to study. My personality is introverted and shy. I can deal with co-workers, but dealing with the general public and customers is not my strong point.So careers where I'd have to be out front or a "leader" wouldn't be a good option for me. I can't/don't want to be a nurse or teacher. I had thought about getting a degree in Computer Science, but I am not g ...

If You Are An RMT, Is Having A Degree Still Important?
May 16, 2011

Hi all. I plan on taking the RMT test soon and feel confident of passing. My question is, if I do get the title, will employers care that I don't have a formal education in MT?... Would passing the test serve as adequate indication that I know enough to qualify? Thanks in advance. ...

15 Degree Blade Or 15-degree Blade?
May 24, 2011

not sure which is correct ...

College Degree
Feb 17, 2015

I see many job ads for coders that specify a college degree is required.  I am in coding school currently but only have a GED.  What do you think chances are I can get a job with no college degree?  I currently work as a remote MT and have almost 20 years of continuous experience in that field and was hoping that would help me get a job.  I am not at all, however, interested in getting a college degree. ...

How Do You Get Your RHIT? Also Does It Pay More?
Aug 05, 2010

How does one go about getting their RHIT after the coding certifications?  Are there classes and schooling involved?  or just the exam?  thanks in advance ...

Should I Go For My RHIT Or
Sep 20, 2012

take a coding course? I cannot afford to do both at this time. I was also wondering if I were to go through HIM to get my RHIT if I could also get my CCS and CPC with just the HIM courses? I hope that makes sense. Thanks. ...

RHIT
Feb 12, 2013

Can anyone tell me if the RHIT degree is only useful for coding and billing?  What kind of jobs are available to an RHIT with an associates in applied science?  ...

Kaplan University Degree In MT?
Apr 12, 2010

My husband is close to finishing the MT program at Kaplan University.  He will end up is AS Degree - is this a good program? Does he have any chance of getting a job? This degree cost 10 times as much at the course from CareerStep. I sure hope we didn't waste ALOT of money for nothing. ...

Would An HIM Degree Make A Difference?
Jun 09, 2011

if I want to move to something other then transcription but stilll not waste the 12 years transcription experience I have?  ...