A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

M*Modal WSJ Article - smeeps

Posted: Mar 08, 2014

A medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said.

M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these people said. The bankruptcy negotiations come about 18 months after One Equity Partners took the company private through a leveraged buyout.

Some creditors, including Brigade Capital Management LLC, Blackstone GroupBX +0.96% LP's GSO Capital Partners and Fidelity Investments, are negotiating with the company to swap their debt for equity in the reorganized company, they added.

The discussions are ongoing, and the goal is to file by about mid-March, when a grace period for a February missed bond payment expires, two of the people said.

At the time of the missed payment, the company said it was engaged in discussions with some lenders and bondholders to reduce its debt. "We believe these discussions have been constructive," M*Modal Spokesman Joe McNamara said in a Feb. 19 statement.

M*Modal transcribes doctors' voice recordings and develops voice-recognition software for the medical industry. Some creditors hope the company's restructuring will put it in a position to grow the voice-recognition software part of the business, one of these people said.

One Equity tapped its latest buyout fund for the $447 million it put toward the $1.1 billion purchase, according to securities filings. As M*Modal's financial situation deteriorated last year, One Equity gave the Franklin, Tenn., company another $20 million, according to credit analysts. J.P. Morgan has said it is spinning off One Equity as an independent firm.

M*Modal has about $750 million in debt, according to securities filings and credit-ratings firms, close to three times what it carried before the August 2012 buyout.

Moody's Investors Service and Standard & Poor's Ratings Services each downgraded M*Modal deeper into junk territory this year as the company's results weakened.

The Wall Street Journal reported in January that the company and some of its creditors were working with restructuring advisers.

M*Modal was founded in 1998 and grew through acquisitions. Sales jumped tenfold between 2006 and 2009. In 2010 revenue was about $415 million and the company, then known as MedQuist Holdings Inc., sold stock the next year in an initial public offering at $8 a share. The company changed its name to M*Modal the following January, and it agreed to the buyout, at $14 a share, in July.

M*Modal's main business is transcribing doctors' voice recordings. One Equity believed that the introduction of new voice recognition technology would boost sales, people familiar with the matter have said.

The company's rollout of new technology hasn't yet brought much profit, though, and its regular line of business has come under pressure from abundant technologies that turn speech into text on the spot and adoption of electronic health records, credit analysts say.

Write to Emily Glazer at emily.glazer@wsj.com

Stunned ... I honestly don't know what to say ... - XYZ

[ In Reply To ..]
I think this is the final straw for me as an employee ... on top of the quality and production requirements that are completely unreachable, is there any assurance that after this bankruptcy goes down that we'll continue to be paid?

When a company files for bankruptcy its employees are usually the LAST ones in line to be paid, and that's usually only if there is money left over at the end of the day.

Seriously, I think this is the end of the road for me.

save yourself! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
save yourself!

You also have to wonder if, even if they emerge - from bankruptcy with a new name, and - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
"restructured", of any new clients will want to take a chance and hire them to do their transcription. If I were managing the MR dept. of some hospital, I wouldn't want to take the chance that the MTSO we were sending all our work to could possibly just up and disappear overnight, leaving us high and dry. This might be the beginning of the end for M*M, and I for one hope it dissolves completely.

I wondered that too ... - XYZ

[ In Reply To ..]
If I were a client there is no way I would take a chance on a sketchy, shady company careening into bankruptcy. "Here today, gone tomorrow" ...

I bet the employees won't be the ONLY ones jumping ship.

Scam of a company - poorhouse

[ In Reply To ..]
And, for that reason, I'll type those damn notes however the hell I want. Screw audits and performance management!! Idiot mm management can't manage their funds then they can't manage me!!! I will smile the day they go up in flames.

M*Modal - ughhhh

[ In Reply To ..]
I was googling about bankruptcy and came upon the U.S. Dept of Labor website page regarding continuation of benefits if your employer files for bankruptcy. U.S. DOL suggests contacting the "plan administrator" or "union representative" to request an explanation of the status of your plan or benefits. I know, I highly doubt trying to get any info out of any M*Modal head-honchos would prove the least bit helpful.

That's a very good tip ... thank you - never even thought about that

[ In Reply To ..]
They could pull the rug out from under our benefits in a heartbeat. No one can ever predict the behavior of a company after they file for bankruptcy because when they receive legal protection from their debts, it opens the door for a whole new "low" of treatment for its employees.

Might be wise to also check to see if you'll get - UI if the company lays MTs off. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

TAA...has anyone been successful in getting - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
paid training through TAA? Is it too late now? How do you do it?

bankruptcy - omggg

[ In Reply To ..]
The article does not state whether MM is filing chapter 7 (liquidation) or chapter 11 (reorganization). I believe if it is chapter 11, there is hope of a future with this company. If it's chapter 7, MM is most likely at the end of the road.

I wondered that too ... chap 7 vs chap 11 - anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
The fact that they called in a team to help restructure last month ... is that a clue about chap 7 vs 11? Or not?

Most likely chapter 11. - 1st

[ In Reply To ..]
After chapter 11, if they still can't get it together, then 7 and close down.

Too many expensive restructuring and crummy software products.

We all know the overpaid executives will land on their feet and most likely with a golden parachute.

I am sure each of us could prepare a better restructuring plan. Although that would result in a lot of executives losing their jobs :-:-D

Bankruptcy - Hope??????

[ In Reply To ..]
You think there might be a future if they file Chapter 11? What future, except for the top of the food chain. Even if they weren't going through this, there is no hope whatsoever with this place. I read a post and someone thought Nuance would buy MM out and they probably will; like MM did with Spheris and that will be horrible as well as they are the flip side of this place. I am out of MM and I urge all of the MTs to do the same; file for UE, check out what you can do, before you are left holding the bag and they (Vern, et.al) are sailing to Bermuda!

Filing for UE - gltrgrami

[ In Reply To ..]
How do we file for UE unless we are laid off, or fired (in my dreams.) Thanks for the info.
ue - Rusty
[ In Reply To ..]
I think different states may vary. I know in Indiana a few years back u could only get retrained if company took all work overseas. Call them, they will tell you.

Wouldn't that be a matter of public record? - Maybe its possible to find out which kind.

[ In Reply To ..]

Shame on you MModal. One would think with this info - publically available, they would at least issue

[ In Reply To ..]
some kind of statement to their employees. I've worked for companies that went BK before and you're basically treated as a creditor, needing to file a claim for wages owed, but in reality you'll never see a penny.

MModal owes it to its employees to offer some kind of statment addressing future pay/benefits. I think the lack of doing this before the info became public is all telling.

Sad to have to read about this in the newspaper. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
So all of the cheating and trying to save money shipping work to India and doing away with salaries in the name of voice recognition has still left them in bankruptcy. Let me guess---it is because of the high cost of labor, not the huge salaries of the white collars and the jets and perks and benefits the upper level management gets.

So what does this mean? Will they just skip out on their billion dollar debt and open under a new "restructed" name and start fresh? The information still has to get onto the medical record of the patient, electronic or otherwise. How is this going to happen? Everybody thought VR was going to be the MIRACLE, but it has not turned out that way. What happens now?

What happens now is that I'm going to pour myself a shot of Jack and have a good cry - Niki

[ In Reply To ..]
And I may just have more than one shot and more than one good cry but tomorrow when the sun comes up you can bet I'll be looking for a new job outside of this God forsaken industry.

There is NO WAY I'm going to continue working for a company who may decide one day not to pay its employees and even LESS of a chance in hades under these conditions that they will EVER see me kill myself for 97.7% quality for even one day, one more hour or even one more second.

How many MTs does MModal even have now? - Any idea?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Here, or in India? - Probably 100,000 in India.
[ In Reply To ..]
XXX

Have a double shot - 99.7% (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Exactly ... as far as I'm concerned - MModal has now been placed on the discount shelf

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no way in heck I'm ever going to give them 1000% to meet their absolutely ridiculous standards if they can't even pay their bills. Why? To subject myself and my son to the possibility of not being paid?

As far as I'm concerned their credibility with their ridiculous requirements just fell through the floor. Fire me ... go ahead. I'd rather be fired by a bargain-basement company than NOT PAID by one.

Jack - Sunnycat

[ In Reply To ..]
After 51 years of MT and teaching MT, it is sad that I must forgo my espertise for ME work. Not all of us have enough money to retire and live on Social Security. Good luck with that! I will have a shot of Jack with you.

where else to look - Rusty

[ In Reply To ..]
Check out local police websites. they have transcription departments too, at least the bigger cities do.

How much you wanna bet they emerge from - chpt.11 restructured as a coding company?

[ In Reply To ..]

No, the article told you it would be SR - Might want to heed the news

[ In Reply To ..]
The article told you what they would do. When companies restructure, their aim is to survive. They go toward their strengths, not something they have little to no experience with.

As it said, they have lost transcription business to front-end, on the spot SR, like Dragon, and to EHRs. Their accounts are dwindling as facilities install EHRs and doctors begin using them and Dragon instead of dictating. That is a big factor in the "NJA" that you keep seeing.

As the article also pointed out, they bought new VR technology hoping to make some inroads with it in the front-end SR market for facilities and other commercial products like Siri.

As the article said, they are most likely to restructure to focus on developing their SR. That part of the game has potential. The transcription part of the company has become a money-draining liability with no future.

Read the article again. It tells you exactly what they will do.

You need to see the handwriting on the wall. It is right there in the article... THEY ARE LOSING BUSINESS TO FRONT-END SR AND EHRS. THEY ARE LOSING THE WORK THAT YOU DO. IT IS NOT GOING TO COME BACK.

You really do need to get out of MT.

They will probably just restructure - come out with a new name

[ In Reply To ..]
the suits will take bonuses, we'll take a pay cut and back to business as usual.

That may not be possible - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm almost entirely sure that JP Morgan is going to take the reins from here. MModal's fate may not even be in its own hands anymore.

and how that makes me smile! - poorhouse

[ In Reply To ..]
Now the mm suits will be micromanaged by JP Morgan! Maybe they'll be audited and be held to 99.6% perfection! Obviously, they've failed that already since they're nearly $1 bil in debt. SMH
BK=PoorManagement - PenniesOnTheDollar
[ In Reply To ..]
Was reading a comment from MM/MT the other day stating that she made $35K/yr, no sweat. Maybe that was possible before the recession. If that was true, perhaps MM was paying their employees a living wage and put themselves in the hole doing it. Always heard complaints that their VR left a lot to be desired. All of the above coupled with bonuses for suits and triple digit million dollar salaries for CEOs, no small wonder, they are on the abyss. Not mention their acquisition of Spheris that also was a good company that paid a living wage back in the day. To stay afloat these days, you pay your employees pennies on the dollar and if you are smart, you get rid of the CEOs and the suits who generally know nothing about the business.

That's not good, either. Chase may just be - the most evil bank there is.

[ In Reply To ..]

restructuring - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I asked my brother, who is CFO for a much smaller company but at least knowledgeable somewhat about this, about what happens and will 401 K's be wiped out, will you still get paid, etc. and I gave him a link to the article. This is what he said, but of course this is his opinion and based on his experience only and is a guess, but thought I would share:
"As far as bankruptcy, employees wages wont be affected. The company, by declaring bankruptcy, (There are several kinds of bankruptcy, and I'm assuming they are reorganizing) keeps their debtors from demanding payment right now, and usually gets them to settle for a lessor amount. The 401K's should be safe also. Our 401K is thru John Hancock and they have all the monies, not the company. I'm assuming that those 401Ks are set up the same way, so are independent of any of the companies financial problems.

There are other company sponsored retirement plans that are funded and kept by the company that could be in trouble, but not 401K's."

Tell your brother thanks - for explaining that

[ In Reply To ..]
appreciate it!

750 million in debt - I just told my husband

[ In Reply To ..]
And he said, "Holy **** somebody's going to jail."

750 million - Jail?

[ In Reply To ..]
One can only hope, but I doubt that will happen. Believe me, there are ways around all of this and whereas if we filed for BR, which I did, it is no picnic and you are branded and credit is hard to come buy, although I do have credit cards and get daily ads from car dealers to buy a new car! What this country has become with "creative financing" is unbelievable. I hope they crash and burn though, if for anything else, so many MTs will be forced to get away from this place and move on. I wonder how many Spheris MTs still work for M*M! Anyone!

I came over with Spheris - not long for this place

[ In Reply To ..]
I liked Spheris, made pretty good money there. When MM took over they kept me at 10/6 so that was nice, but I have already made an escape plan and I have one foot out the door.

I'm a former Spheris employee and still work for MM - Unfortunately

[ In Reply To ..]
I too was grandfathered in with my Spheris wages and make decent money, but not nearly as good as what it was when I was straight transcription, of course.

Streamlining management would help - mgwood

[ In Reply To ..]
Those of us "on the front lines" all know M*Modal is top-heavy in administration and management. We generate revenue and do a good job at it. Management needs to hold itself as accountable for generating revenue as they hold us on the bottom of the ladder. No need to tighten the screws on those generating income.

or maybe if they just - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
would forget all the investment in voice recognition etc and focus on paying the MTs a decent wage; go back to how business used to be conducted, and we'd all be ahead.

No wonder MM is headed towards BK. - totally inept in everything

[ In Reply To ..]
I just got my "Smart Summary". They can't even get that right! The table is there, but it is totally empty.

It's probably a piece of software the MM IT constructed, so no surprise it doesn't work.

MM Bankruptcy protection - Innocent bystander

[ In Reply To ..]
I've never worked for them but I do hope they have money on hand to pay the employees. A lot has been said, but why in the world would JP Morgan Chase, who has their own issues, want to be involved in the medical transcription business? It can't be a good thing when those running the company don't have clue one what the company any its employees do, acquisition for acquisition's sake is a scary thing. It reminds me of that movie "Wall Street" when Charlie Sheen asked Michael Douglas why he wanted to wreck Blue Star Airlines. Answer: "Because it's wreckable."

JP Morgan was never interested in the transcription business ... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
They only wanted MModal for its speech recognition software development. They probably watched the SIRI software earn millions for Nuance and envisioned MModal developing an equivalent. It's been said that the transcription element (and, us employees by proxy) just came along for the ride through contract agreements, etc but they honestly couldn't care less about us or our medical transcription division - it could go away tomorrow and they wouldn't even notice - their eyes are keenly focused on speech recognition software development and that's it.
You are correct. - It is the VRthey wanted
[ In Reply To ..]
You are correct. They bought them for the SR technology, but it didn't pan out.

Similar Messages:

Interesting Article, Nuance/M*Modal 20% Of Tx Business. Sm
May 22, 2012

Although this article dates back to March, I found it interesting. Had no idea that Nuance and MQ (M*Modal) only had 20% of the transcription business when this was written in March, 2012. http://seekingalpha.com/article/408141-can-transcend-services-write-its-own-ticket ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

This Article Just Says It All.
Oct 09, 2012

Whole WSJ Article
Mar 08, 2014

A medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said.M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these people said. The bankruptcy negotiations come about 18 months after One Equity Partners took ...

MedicalScribes - An Article About Them
Sep 07, 2010

This is an interesting article about using medical scribes to do transcription.  It is a way for doctors to create electronic medical records and not have to enter information into computers themselves. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/06/health/la-he-medical-scribes-20100906 ...

Interesting Article On VBC...
Jun 14, 2011

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/VBC-Compensation-for-MTs.aspx Read the comments too.  The second one is on point! ...

Article About Nuance
Feb 19, 2011

I don't work for Nuance or the other 3 MTSOs listed, but I found this article clear and with devastating details about the exact cost of what happens to the local economy when employers opt to switch to the offshoring companies: http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc/story/University-of-Utah-Hospital-sending-local-jobs/ApYQbQl0d0OqwCx2vzmjlQ.cspx or search "University of Utah Hospital sending local jobs overseas" "Hundreds of people just like Rachelle are losing their jobs at medical tra ...

Article About MT Credentialing
Apr 09, 2011

I just brought in my mail and there was the March 28 issue of "For the Record", a magazine that was part of my AHDI membership benefits. I don't know why they're still sending it to me because my AHDI membership ran out, but I the cover story of this issue is "The MT Credentialing Debate: What do Medical Transcriptionists Gain by Adding RMT or CMT to Their Resumes?" I haven't started reading it yet, but it should be interesting! ...

Recent Article About MQ
Aug 01, 2011

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2011/08/medquists-new-ceo-re-branding-on.html   They seem pretty happy about having 28 sites in India and want to keep offshoring more of their work.  I really wonder how many Americans, if properly educated about the whole thing, would really want their medical history sent overseas.  I know clinics/hospitals don't care.  They are using MQ and other services that offshore because they want to save a buck on services.  Yeah I know, s ...

Interesting Article...
Aug 07, 2011

This just basically proves that it still takes a human to do what a computer can't do...     ...

A Link To An Article
Mar 14, 2012

http://mttoolsonline.com/2011/01/25/medical-transcription-a-salary-perspective-over-11-years/ Article about MTs salaries compared to other jobs in the HIM department.  If you don't want to click on the link, google the following:  Medical Transcription A Salary Perspective over 11 years. ...

Good Article: ST Vs. SR
Jun 16, 2012

MTs Need to Get Off Inaccurate Pay Scale http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/050712p29.shtml#.T7hYiI60y30.facebook ...

Another Interesting Article...sm
Jul 12, 2012

found this interesting and encouraging... ...

Medigrafix Article
Aug 22, 2012

http://www.wowt.com/factfinders/headlines/Medical-Workers-Not-Being-Paid-166705406.html?mobile=yes ...

For The Record Article About MT Pay
Sep 11, 2012

http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml   ...

Another Great Article
Sep 12, 2012

From the magazine "For the Record."   http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml ...

Interesting Article Re EMR
Sep 22, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/business/medicare-billing-rises-at-hospitals-with-electronic-records.html?smid=pl-share Please read!   ...

Here's A Article About Compensation
Mar 11, 2013

Here’s an article by For the Record magazine that is worth reading. Sometimes, their articles are a lot of fluff, AHDI stressing we need them, or words just filling a page, but this one affirms what we have all known for a very long time.   http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml Interesting what is written about the Transcend lawsuit too. What can we do? At the end of the article, it mentions “MTs need to work with their employers to develop a fair compensat ...

Must Read Article
Apr 10, 2014

I had to share this with each and every transcriptionist out there.  It is always darkest before the dawn.          ...

A Must-read Article!
Mar 25, 2015

Just saw this article posted in Nuance board.  MTs need to stop working for companies who do not value them!!!  We all know what companies this article and I are talking about! ...

Must Read Article On EHR
May 07, 2015

. ...

Check Out This Article
Jun 04, 2015

Reminded me of our business, except worse!  How humiliating for them. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html?_r=0 ...

Article In My Paper Today About MT Course...
Feb 21, 2010

There's an article today in my hometown newspaper from an area community college about its MT course, about how MTs are needed for VR, how they make $34,000 a year, and how you can work at home.  I just wanted to puke. Of course the goal is to get gullible people to sign up for their course, hoping they don't bother to research it too closely.... ...

Biased Against MT Article Link
Mar 30, 2010

Below is a link to one of the most biased articles against MT I have seen lately. They are interviewing vendors who make the soft and who are claiming that their software eliminates MTing. Never mind that their product is only really accurate 50% of the time without editing. Unbelievable! Here's the link: http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/032910p10.shtml   ...

Article - EHR Notes And Cut And Paste
Jun 16, 2010

Excerpt: Free-text narrative will often be superior to point-and-click boilerplate in accurately capturing a patient’s history and making assessments, and notes should be designed to include discussion of uncertainties.” (italics DMCB). Link: http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2010/05/ehr-notes-cut-paste-documentation-problem.html ...

Found This Article...any Thoughts?
Jun 25, 2011

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/5_growing_health_care_careers.htm?kid=1H693 ...

New Medquist Article About Best Practices
Aug 06, 2010

AUSTIN, Texas, Aug. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- 2010 AHDI Conference -- MedQuist Inc. (Nasdaq: MEDQ), a leading provider of technology-enabled clinical documentation services, continues to support industry best practices for quality standards and metrics.  Together with the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity (AHDI), the Medical Transcription Industry Association (MTIA) and other industry quality leaders, ...

Article On Moretti MTSO
Aug 09, 2010

Saw hiring ad, Googled it, came up from this article from last year. Recent MD-IT acquisition. Just FYI (neither yay nor nay, just info). http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2009/08/medical_software_co_acquires_k.html ...

Yahoo! Article About MT Being #4 Best Job To Have For Flexibility
Nov 04, 2010

Totally made me LOL this morning, especially the "You get to decide your own hours" line.  I cut and pasted this section of the article but the full report can be found here: http://education.yahoo.net/articles/flexible_careers_that_pay.htm?wid=1   Career #4 - Medical Transcriptionist Medical transcriptionists listen to and transcribe dictated recordings made by doctors and other health care professionals. As a medical transcriptionist, you would need to understand medical terminol ...

Everyone Should Read The ADHI Article On The
Mar 04, 2011

Advance for HIM website regarding credntialing for all MTs.  ...