A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone know how to get veterinarian transcription training? Found an ad that paid 10-12 cpl but req - elle

Posted: May 01, 2010

either experience or training.  I must not be Googling my question right because I cant seem to find anything about transcription for veterinarians specifically.  Thanks.

You may have to become a Vet Assistant first to learn the terminology - Good Luck

[ In Reply To ..]

I Googled:  medical transcription for veterinarian

What came up were a few companies offering medical transcription to veterinarians (MTSO for the Veterinary field).  I read some of the “About Us” links.  It seems like most of them started out as Veterinary Technicians or Veterinary Assistants, and worked for Veterinarians first.  That is where their education is from.  They then went into transcription. 

The Goggle results also brought up some school sites, like the  “allalliedhealthschools.”   Use the “Search For Schools” drop down menu at the top for “Vet Assistant.” 

It appears that some schools actually offer on-line Medical Transcription courses AND Veterinary Assistant courses (one is Penn Foster). 

You might be able to call and see if you can get credit for the medical transcription experience you already have and ask what Veterinary Assistant courses would be helpful to transition to a Veterinary Medical Transcriptionist.  It may be that all you need are a couple of courses to get the Diploma / Certificate -- or whatever you get for completing on-line courses.

Remember, getting the education is only the first step.  The websites I looked at all required EXPERIENCED Veterinary transcriptionists (not just education). 

You could also just find out what Text Books are used for the Veterinary terminology, etc for the Veterinary Assistant courses, and just buy those books.  Some of the terminology is probably identical to human terminology, so it may only take a few days for you to become familiar with animal terminology. 

If this is definitely something you might really be interested in, after you familiarize yourself with animal terminology, you might want to call some of your local veterinarians and ask if they do their own transcription or use a service.  If they do their own, ask if they would be willing to let you help them out (for free if necessary; to get in the door) for a few hours a week.  If things work out, they may even hire you or at least be willing to give you a reference after six months or a year, even if you are not technically employed by them.  (In my personal experience, I prefer Veterinarians to Medical Physicians – they seem to be more “human” and seem to be more willing to help you in any way they can.) 

A silly fact – the Penn Foster Veterinary Assistant course costs $788.   If it is a six-month (13-week) course, that is $60.62 per week that you are paying them.  You will probably need to commit at least 5 hours a week to studying, taking exams, etc.   Let’s say a Veterinarian pays $10/hr for a Veterinary Medical Transcriptionist.   If you worked 5 hours a week for free, that would have equaled $50 in gross pay that you did not get paid for  (Net is actually less -- let’s not forget the dreaded taxes and SS deductions).  So, in the same amount of time, you would actually be ahead of the game by trying to find a way to train directly with a Veterinarian rather than spending the money at a school.   JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT. 

Good luck to you. 

Let us know how it works out for you.  This may be the "new" medical field that everyone trying to get out of MT is looking for. 

I would say to try to apply and see what happens - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
You can state your transcription experience and state that you are more than willing to learn the differences between human anatomy and veterinarian anatomy. Though I am wondering what exactly they transcribe that they don't just write in the charts?

Maybe operative reports, consultations, referral letters - Just passing through

[ In Reply To ..]

More and more people are getting Pet Health Insurance, and as we all know, Insurance Companies are notorious for wanting everything documented.  Since a lot of large Veterinary Clinics do surgery, there are probably plenty of operative reports that need to be transcribed.  I am sure most Vets still write out their notes, but even they are probably tired of that and would prefer to dictate to save time. 

Are you talking about VMR-Transfer - Be careful

[ In Reply To ..]

If you are talking about VMR-Transfer, I would be real cautious and ask a lot of questions.  Too many things on their website strike me as odd.  For one thing, the site has only been up since March of 2010.  Second, they charge their clients 0.12 per line, so how can they pay their transcriptionists 0.12 per line? 

Not saying they are a scam, but it may not be as great a job as they are portraying it to be.  Just be careful.

Got an offer and it was way less than 10-12 cpl. nm - anothermt

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Yes, that would be the one.nm - elle

[ In Reply To ..]

VMR-Transfer - toogoodtobetrue

[ In Reply To ..]
I took the test as I have a lot of vet experience. The application on the website was very brief, and the test was a 2 minute dictation of a letter that started out as being about a dog and ended being about a person - very strange. I was offered a job making 12 cpl for jobs requiring less than 1 hour TAT. I have googled and searched for any info on this company, including the BBB, and cannot find anything other than their website. This almost seems to good to be true. I might call them tomorrow and ask some questions. If anyone else knows anything, please share!

don't know them but why question the 12cpl? for one thing... - see inside

[ In Reply To ..]
for one - finding someone with vet terminology is probably difficult, so they are probably happy to go higher to find and/or keep someone.

and 2 - maybe they called around for rates with MTSOs, determined a more realistic number within their budget range, and decided to find their own person! After all, that's all the MTSOs do anyway, isn't it? match us up, so to speak.

THIS should be the wave of the future in the MT profssion. Physicians/hospital heads need to listen up.

I applied and never heard back. sm - CrispyCritterMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 30+ years MT experience and have taken vet tech courses. Did they send you the test file because I didn't see it on the web site.

VMR-Transfer - PE

[ In Reply To ..]
Did you talk with VMR-Transfer and find out anything about them? I have been offered a job with them for the same amount and TAT, but do not have vet experience and they know this. I do have 13 years of medical transcription experience, though. It does seem to be too good to be true. I have E-mailed them and asked them more questions about there process since I have a contract they E-mailed me, but I have not heard back from them yet and I have not filled out or signed the contract yet until I hear from them.

[ In Reply To ..]
I called the number on the website and emailed the woman whose name is on the contract at 8 a.m. Monday (EST) and have not heard anything back as of yet (Wednesday afternoon). I've been looking to increase my earnings and know that NO ONE is paying 12 cpl unless you work nights. This is what is making me suspicious about this job. This would definitely be my dream job if it is for real as I have many years of vet experience and 20+ years of MT experience. I have not sent the contract back yet either. Please let me know if you hear anything. Thanks

vmr-transfer a scam - Jen

[ In Reply To ..]
I think this job and company is a scam. I was offered a job at 12cents per line. When I tried to email and call them, they dont get back to me. They asked for my social security number on the contract. I would never give it out until I was sure about the company.I think they are trying to get people's social security numbers for fraud. Be careful and dont send them any information until you actually talk to a real person on the phone.
[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, I have to agree that this is most likely a scam. I googled the "owner's" name and it comes back to a sheep farmer in Missouri - no mention whatsoever of her having any MT or office experience. I wonder if it is really her or if someone is using her name and address?

Similar Messages:

While In Training, If You Found A Mistake Made By
Jan 10, 2012

QA when they were checking your work, would you tell your trainer; i.e., something was "corrected" on one of the reports I did; after looking again at the client profile, the way I had done it was the customer's preferred way.  TIA for opinions. ...

How Are You Paid For PTO? Just Found Out About Mine
Dec 11, 2009

I always thought that companies paid for PTO based on an average of your last 3-6 months production. I just found out that my company pays by the hour!  This means my PTO for a week will be half of what a I normally make?   Have you ever heard of this?  Is this the norm?  ...

PAID TRAINING?
May 19, 2011

Regarding the videos about the TW update - was told it would take 5 minutes - then looked at MQ Central and saw an explanation about watching the videos and then sending a code to supervisor.  Does this mean this is paid training?  Anyone know?  CCM did not send email saying it was paid.  Thanks. ...

Paid Training.
Jul 21, 2012

I was  hired at a job and told I'd have paid training for 12 hours.  We had trouble getting equipment set up for the first day and it ended up 1 day's training but being paid for the whole time.  But I'm having a horrible time learning this job, essentially learning by trial and error and on my own.  I believe after the equipment was set up, training should've started then.  I had 100% QA for 2 weeks but don't think that was enough beca ...

Are We Paid For That HIPAA Training?
Feb 13, 2015

Are we supposed to be paid for that mandatory HIPAA training module thing? If so, do we get paid for that time only, or do we also get paid for the time we took the test at the end? And what do we clock in under Webclock for it?   I emailed my TSM about this 2 days ago, but big suprise, she never replied.   Thanks! ...

Since We're Supposed To Do 7.1 Training Outside Of Our Schedule, We Get Paid
Sep 04, 2012

x ...

Do TransTech Or Webmedx Have A Paid Training Period While
Jan 25, 2010

nm ...

I Found A Non-medical Transcription Job
Sep 18, 2012

I am happy about this. I love to type and maybe this one will be a long-term opportunity. I am fortunate at this point, it's been a long haul for a month now being unemployed and I want to put it all behind me. ...

MT Training - Want To Return To Transcription
Feb 08, 2011

Hi there!!  I was a medical transcriptionist eons ago - learned on an IBM Selectric typewriter while listening to a dictaphone machine.  I was quite good, if I may say so myself.  However, lots of years have gone by, I became an EMT, then an LPN, but now I'm retired.  I want to return to transcription and need the advice of experienced MTs.  It seems smart to take a course online but I really don't know which course you all would recommend.  HELP!!  I need the most comprehensive ...

What Are The Best Schools For THOROUGH Medical Transcription Training?
Mar 27, 2011

I'm researching to find out which is the best online school to choose for medical transcription training.  I want to do the training right the first time, so I want to make sure I choose the right one.  They all seem to claim to be the top in the country and to have the most successful graduates.  I don't mind paying for what I'm getting, but I want to make sure I'm not paying for fluff.  I was hoping to get some insight from those who have already be ...

Medical Transcription Training Programs
Jan 19, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with the Medline School of Medical Transcription?  I am considering enrolling in their advanced program for acute care medical transcription.  I have 10 years of transcription experience, but I haven't done it since 2000 and only have family practice experience.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Preferred Transcription And Getting Paid
Nov 09, 2009

Has anyone worked for Preferred Transcription and have they gotten paid? ...

Has Anyone Actually Gotten Paid By TDD (Transcription Doctors)? Sm
Feb 23, 2010

Not that it makes much difference  with the pitiful amount I was able to make at what they were paying, but over 6 weeks for a lousy pay check?  Geez!  Could it be they are one of those preditory MT rip-off joints?   ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

Think I Found My Out!
Sep 09, 2010

I think I have found my out of MTing finally.  I am going to try to be a home health aide.  It is perfect for me in every way!!  I am just so excited! ...

Look What I Found
Oct 28, 2011

I found the below on the Company Board, and wondered if this could be true? ... Because you've already put in your 40 hours. It is illegal to change your timesheets so they don't have to pay overtime. If they can't give you sufficient work and keep hiring people who take your work away from you, find a company that will give you enough work. Save the emails and send them to the department of labor. ...

I Just Found Out
May 13, 2012

I just found out that even though I am doing the minimal required lines (120) I am not earning minimum wage and so even if I increase my lines I won't make any more money....Until I am typing over 160 lines.   I am so angry.   Now they are pressuring me to get higher lines so I can get out of them paying minimum wage.  Which is insulting in itself.  I am going to try to do it and then be a benefited employee.  But I am just angry that 120 lines doesn' ...

Found This On FB......
Aug 18, 2013

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mmodal-inaugurates-new-medical-transcription-center-at-mysore-182340551.html   While not an MM employee, my heart goes out to all who got let go recently. ...

May Have Found A Way Out........
Aug 24, 2013

I have been in this (medical transcription) boat for a long time.  I have enjoyed it and been able to support myself.  The last few years I have been stubbornly trying to hang on and "ride the waves", but have finally gotten it through my thick head that this is NOT working for me anymore!  I hate what this industry has become!  Anyway, was looking on the website of our local technical college, and I think I have found something I may be interested in.  Going to lo ...

Found This On MSN....sm
Jun 18, 2015

BEST JOBS FOR WORKING AT HOME: Proofreader Average Pay: $18/hour Education: Bachelor's degree Medical Transcriptionist Average Pay: $17/hour Education: Associate's degree or one-year certification program Show me a company I can make $17/hour at. And proofreader....we already do that and again, not for $18/hour. ...

Something That I Found Very Interesting
Nov 21, 2009

Just for the heck of it, I went to the resume section of this board, and noticed there were quite a few MTs with "entry-level or less than 5 year's experience" wanting to be compensated 10-15 cpl  -- I really seriously doubt that is going to happen, especially for a "newer" MT.  I would suggest that if you are really serious about finding a job in MT, then revise your expected compensation rate to something a bit more realistic. ...

Something I Found Interesting
Nov 21, 2009

I also posted this on the main board, but here goes. Just for the heck of it, I went to the resume section of this board, and noticed there were quite a few MTs with "entry-level or less than 5 year's experience" wanting to be compensated 10-15 cpl  -- I really seriously doubt that is going to happen, especially for a "newer" MT.  I would suggest that if you are really serious about finding a job in MT, then revise your expected compensation rate to something a bit more realistic ...

Wow, I Think I Have Found The Longest
Feb 22, 2010

Encephaloduroarteriomyosynangiosis.  Jeesh. Anyone have anything longer?  ...

Found Out What's Is Wrong With (at Least Some) Of Us.
Aug 01, 2010

In my quest to improve SOMETHING, I stumbled across "job burnout."  I think it is my problem and wanted to share. "A strong signal that the burnout victim is sliding into an existential crisis of meaninglessness is evident when the person's statements about work are cloaked with a "so what?" or "why bother?" attitude. This is particularly striking among burnout victims who were once very enthusiastic and dedicated." There is some very good information and might be helpful.  At ...

I Found This Quite Funny (in A Sad Way)
Jun 21, 2011

I put my resume up on one of the resume sites and it had an area where you could find out what the local and national average salary of whatever career you are in.  I typed in Medical Transcriptionist and my area.  Locally, I should be making $38,600, and on a national level I should be making $39,000!  Are any of us anywhere near those numbers???  I sure as heck am not!  My mouth would be totally shut if I was making that.  I know there are people who definitely ma ...

Found On DSG Website
Feb 04, 2011

while looking to respond to a job opening that they have a "Director International Transcriptionist Operations," is this meaning they outsource?  ...

Found This Interesting
Nov 10, 2011

Time to do something, nja, not enough money, will not allow me to schedule so I can find part time employment to supplement. This company is abusing us without question.   Doing some research and found these two articles:   http://www.mediate.com/articles/davenport.cfm and http://minoritysurvival.com/2011/07/15/six-ways-employers-abuse-workers/     ...

Found Out Something Interesting....
Jan 08, 2013

I was looking for job openings at our local hospital and it's a long story but, found out that they have taken their transcription back in-house.  Too many mistakes, not enough quality work, bad turn around times, et al.  I am applying today, in person with them.  I will offer to scrub their floors if that is what it takes to get back in to transcribing.  I know folks who work there and they get a very fair wage, benefits and time off!  ...

Found This In Archives And I Think It
Feb 26, 2013

I agree with her 100%. There will always be more of us, and we really could make a difference if we would just band together. I have always wanted to start a new association for MTs-AMERICAN MTs. Don't let them win. ...

I Am Almost Scared To Say This, But I May Have Found
Jan 04, 2014

a nonMT job!!  It is at WM.  As much as I hated WM, if they give me a job and I can earn a straight, steady, hourly wage, I will be SO grateful.  After being dumped on and treated like an idiot for 18+ years, I am almost out.  I sure hope so.  I need this so bad.  ...