A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Easier way to find words - MassMT

Posted: Nov 10, 2011

You know, with all the technology out there you'd think someone would come up with an easier way for us to find words, aside from asking for help from our supervisors or other QC/QA people at our company, or asking for help on a forum like this one.  Anybody heard of anything in the works like that?  Just curious.

I think it comes down to skills and knowing how - to look stuff up

[ In Reply To ..]

Easier way to find words - MassMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was thinking more in the vein of some kind of "universal" program that would allow an outside person (someone who doesn't work for your particular company) to actually listen to live dictation that the MT is listening to, and be able to hear what they're hearing and help them that way, instead of just asking about a "sounds like" and then having to put the word in context, etc. I worked for a company that did that internally, with the QA people taking turns as the "listener of the day" so to speak, but not every company does that, at least not in real time, just after the report is sent to QA. I guess I'm just a dreamer!

gotcha - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There are MT sites that allow you to upload audio files for others to hear and comment upon.

Don't know if this helps... - JS

[ In Reply To ..]
or if you already have them, but the Stedman's electronic books let you look up s/l with * as a wild card. For example, if you're working on an ortho report, and the mushmouth says mumble-mumble-plasty, you can look it up as "*plasty," and it will give you every possible suggestion. You don't have to necessarily hear the starting letter or letters, but you can add them if you can hear them to narrow the search. It's not like having an extra set of ears, but they've helped me a lot.

Good luck.

another thing - one look

[ In Reply To ..]
one look dictionary (onelook.com) you can use a wild card * also and get spellings of words, so you don't have to have the electronic books.

Real-live Books - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have the whole Stedman's line of word books (paper). I don't upgrade them much anymore now with the Internet, but frankly, they are quite helpful. Everything is cross-referenced. You can get them pretty cheap on Amazon.com. It's what helped me when I first started out, before there was Google.

Similar Messages:

Has Anyone Found It Any Easier To Find A Job Now Or Is It Worse Than Before. Nm
Jul 04, 2014

nm ...

VR? Easier? LOL.
Jan 19, 2013

Today was my first day of VR. I've been an MT for 25 years. OMG, what an experience! I am mentally drained. Using my hands, foot, ears, eyes, brain and 6 different software programs that have to be manuevered simultaneously while "translating" poor dictation and/or poor VR is the ultimate in multi-tasking. Seriously can we add another task, or another of the five senses to this job for half pay? Working VR is like riding a unicycle up on the high wire while juggling oranges, wearing ...

There Has To Be An Easier Way Of Doing This!
Nov 04, 2013

I need help. I work for a company that pays different CPL for VR and straight typing. Is there a program that I can purchase or download that will keep track of my earnings and/or add them up for me? I'm doing upwards of 50 reports per day and I have to go get the statistics off one page, use a calculator to multiply and then insert the totals into my spreadsheet and THEN add them all up. This is way too time consuming. There HAS to be another way to do this that won't take up my valua ...

Some WTs Easier?
Jun 30, 2014

Just started with a new company and have been hearing that some MTs got in trouble for rejecting certain work types because they were harder.  Do some MTs really find certain work types easier or more difficult?  I can't tell a difference in difficulty from worktype to worktype.  For me it is the dictator that makes the report easier or harder.  Just curious. ...

Home Or On-site-which Is Easier
Jan 14, 2010

I was wondering which is better--working on site for an office or hospital or working at home?  I would appreciate any advice. ...

Is Finding A New Job Getting Easier Or Harder. Nm
Mar 16, 2012

nm ...

Serioulsy, Wouldn't It Have Been Easier To Just Tell Us SM
Dec 17, 2014

they were going to pay us 7 cpl?  From just glancing through the posts here that is what everybody is basically saying.  Did anyone make more than that?  I for one am NOT going to approve my timecard because I DON'T APPROVE!    I'm still up in the air on whether I will finish out this week or not.  ...

Why Are Macros Easier Than Saving In AutoCorrect?
May 19, 2011

I need all the help I can get.  ...

There Seems To Be More Jobs Posted Lately. Has Anyone Found It Easier
Dec 26, 2012

to get a job lately moreso than before.  Just wondering.  ...

25 Clever Ideas To Make Life Easier
Dec 17, 2011

Why didn’t I think of that?! We guarrantee you’ll be uttering those words more than once at these ingenious little tips, tricks and ideas that solve everyday problems … some you never knew you had! (Above: hull strawberries easily using a straw). . Rubbing a walnut over scratches in your furniture will disguise dings and scrapes. . Remove crayon masterpieces from your TV or computer screen with WD40 (also works on walls). Stop cut apples browning in your child& ...

Things Would Run Smoother If Searching Info Was Easier
Feb 15, 2012

Is it just me..I am on their company desktop so curious...If I am in a report and go to the F5 to search the all mighty repository then it messes up my DocQmanage search page and I have to sign out of there and resign in from scratch, doesnt even save my initial information..And why cant we be in the docqmanage search area and the docqmanage area that has the QA feedback at the same time..Having to constantly sign in and out is causing more trouble then anything.. ...

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

Clinic Accounts Are The First To Go. Usually A Bit "easier."
Jun 23, 2014

There are, generally speaking, fewer WTs to clinic accounts, and these get readied for off-shoring rather quickly. But honestly, the goal is to offshore as much as possible whenever possible, so EVERYONE at Nuance can expect to starve or take on new and different accounts CONSTANTLY.  The one exception to this is when accounts (rare gems) have already been offshored only to come back to US MTs when they discover the ESL MTs overseas really cannot deliver a great product (even with voice wr ...

? On Words
Oct 16, 2009

I am wondering on clean void urine culture, do I need to put a slash in between clean and void? Then when I have to write grade II, do I capitalize the word Grade? I have this sentence I am trying to get too. Conization was repeated and showed benign e_____ cervical p_______? The words start with them but I can not find anything, the last word sounds like polarization? If anybody has a isea, that will help. Here is another on too, The pateint was _____ and fever resolved? It sounds like defe ...

Need Two Words Please
Oct 19, 2009

This is a Op Note for a AAA surgery . ..    1.  . . we used the glide catheter to exchange the Terumo wires to the s/l "lun-di-cris" wires.   2.  We were able to pass a 16 sheath on the right and had to bare back the left limb using an s/l "An-u-rex" 16 x 115 mm contralateral limb.   ...

I Am So Sorry But I Have 2 Words...
Oct 20, 2009

does not have a history of migraines, tics, or 'paramyoconus' no varus or valgus angulation of the 'os calculus' ...

Need Help With 2 More Words
Dec 10, 2009

s/l rim plassage-type procedure (for Hill-Sachs lesion) s/l Hill-Sachs lesion on his ray vast in MRI findings   "Ray vast" and "rim plassage" are the words that I can't figure out. My orthbook hasn't arrives yet so I'm struggling to figure out what these words are. Any help you can offer is much appreciated. ...

Words Help Please
Jan 04, 2010

CHEST: There is exclusive _____ coronary discomfort withmyofascial trigger point and two infrascapular point.The first word for the first blank it sound like pulseso. If you can help. I want to say thanks in advance. I have slow her voice downand I am still unable to figure what she is saying. Oh, I guess that the reasonI do not know what she is saying is because she have an accent. Love andpeace. ...

ENT Words
Apr 30, 2010

I have a word I just can't get.  context is:  bilateral inferior turbinates were very large all the way back to the s/l culinae?  no clue, please help.  thanks. ...

What Are These Words!
May 27, 2010

Patient denies any melena changing bowel habits. Medicature(???- no clue what that would be) hematemesis. Patient denies any syncope, vertigo, hemiparesis or parastitious( ????-no such word found, but I am hearing that way) except for the feeling of numbness in his feet. Please help! ...

What Are The 2 Words?
Jun 03, 2010

Complete blood count (CBC) which revealed white blood count of 12,400 with 45 poly's, 12 fans (not able to make out the word), 32 lymphs, 5 monos and 6 atypical lymphs. Stool cultures were negative. The Rotosan (unable to make out the word) was still pending at this time. Please help. ...

OB/GYN Words
Aug 19, 2010

I have little experience in OB/GYN but I find myself having to type a couple tonight.  Procedure:  D&C Word sounds like "Owl" Stirrups and "retro" speculum was used. (Is there a common type used because I could be hearing this "retro completely wrong since he is speeding through it.) Thanks for any feedback fellow MT's!  ...

Two Words
Sep 18, 2010

What in the world do you think this is?  Any help would be appreciated!!   On S/L propap  day no. 1 the patient was without complaints.  The patient suddenly became confused, agitated, and delusional.  Thanks ...

3 Little Words
Sep 26, 2010

3 words I cannot for the life of me figure out!!!  Any help would be appreidated A (s/l gore disease) that show (s/l mememorially) of normal appearance.  Tubules are not remarkable.  Interstitial tissue showed no noteworthy change.  (s/l Pelbees) are not remarkable.Thanks in advance ...

Help With Words
Mar 17, 2011

I am doing a dictation report in Urology and in the list of impressions, the doctors dictates: Hyponatremia, probably secondary to hyperglycemia. (sounds like he says "transficate" artificial and "transficies" amd Zarololyn. These words beginning with "t" have me stumped and in all my time of transcribing, cannot comprehend what is actually being dictated relating to the condition. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance. ...

New Words
Sep 16, 2011

Just a comment . . . if doctors are going to just make up their own words, they should spell them for us.  Who's with me? ...

No Words Necessary
Dec 14, 2011

The numbers speak for themselves: 2010:  $31,960.00 2011, year to date:  $14,368.00   WTF ...

Need Help On 2 Words, Please....
Jan 17, 2012

Doctor dictates: 1.  I showed the patient (s/l Drebbit's) slide on model of difficulty with paralimbic function and difficulty with hot cognition. 2.  He does not have a (s/l visual fold) deformity in the small joints of the hands. Thank you so very much for your help!!  ...

War On Words
Mar 30, 2012

DICTATED:  Checked the patient's glucose meter ASR:  Clicked patient's cocoa smear. New lab test??? LOL ...

ASR/words
May 29, 2012

does anyone on here remember a while back someone was posting about words being left in asr or inserted after making corrections to the report and then getting ready to upload the report? ...