A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

2012 is the year I am going to stop being an MT, but - sm

Posted: Jan 06, 2012

if you were me, a 34-year-old single mother, would you go back to school to finish your LPN degree (one year left) or finish your HIT degree (one year left also) and become an RHIT?  Or maybe do both?

LPN or RHIT? - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure if I would bother with the RHIT at all, but given the two choices, I'd go with LPN first, because direct patient care cannot be offshored. It isn't a perfect profession, but there's a definite need for LPNs. Some places, like doctor offices and clinics and some homecare situations even prefer to hire LPNs instead of RNs because they think the LPNs should be paid less than the RNs.

Girl, skip the LPN and go directly to RN - Pay is way better

[ In Reply To ..]
You can find community colleges hooked into hospitals and sometimes hospitals even have RN programs. I would not hesitate to do this.

MT is moribund and if you are the breadwinner, it would be financial suicide to stay in MT.

Best wishes for success.

LPN - JR

[ In Reply To ..]
Poster asked LPN vs RHIT, not RN vs...

Maybe she's actually wanting to not spend too much time away from her kids studying then working weird hours in a hospital.

If you're wanting to spend any time raising your own kids, just do the LPN or RHIT, but I think the LPN would be more valuable.

With the LPN, you can get a decent clinic job with decent hours. You can still make a living and be there (sort of) for your kids.

LPN versus RN - Cathy

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think it's a bad suggestion to go for your RN. RNs make a lot more than LPNs. It doesn't mean that you have to be there less for your kids. More money per hour may mean less hours that need to be worked and more free time to spend with your family.
There are schools who will let you - bridge into a
[ In Reply To ..]
RN program. You still have to take the core classes, but I think it takes almost a year off of the nursing portion, which for an associates is only 2 anyway. You can also do an online program once you have your LPN to get your RN. I'm the same way with the hopsital hours, but clinic hours can be really bad too. I have worked at doctor's office that were 8-5, but really the medical assistants/LPNs were there until 6 or later lots of nights. I started schooling for my RN but decided to wait until my kids are a little older as there is no way I want to work nights, and sometimes starting out that is all you can get.

LPN or RHIT? - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know about the others, but I wish I had taken an LPN course INSTEAD of RN. That is, unless you plan to go for BSN, MSN or even a doctorate. In that case, RN may be better. However, with just an associate degree RN, there's not too far you can go. I wanted to work in a doctor's office, so LPN would have been better for me, as I find it difficult to get hired as an RN for a doctor's office or clinic. But, that's just me.

A hospital RN job is no piece of cake. In the old days, you could get a full-day as an RN working in homecare for one patient. Nowadays, those jobs go to LPNs and CNAs.

So, I guess it depends on the type of nursing job you want, as to whether RN or LPN would be better for you.

It may be that you can start as LPN an then go to RN. However, once an RN, you actually have to take another course in order to step down to LPN. At least that's what the law is in my state. I know, because I called the state licensing board and asked how I could easily get my LPN license when I was already an RN. I know it sounds odd, but I really disliked the kind of RN jobs available to me, and thought I would enjoy being an LPN. Now, I'm considering taking a CNA course.

To get back to the original question, I'd still choose LPN over RHIT.

Alice D.

Thanks, Alice! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Regarding what you said about RNs needing more training in order to work as an LPN - I am not a nurse but it sounds incorrect

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't want to be rude, but that just doesn't make sense to me. I'm very skeptical about whether it's really true. I wonder if you might be incorrect about the part you said about RNs requiring additional training in order to work as an LPN. If that's true, I would be shocked. I've certainly never heard that one before.
I'm right there with you. It requires less than - half of the schooling
[ In Reply To ..]
I know all of the doctors I have worked for would be more than happy to hire an RN at LPN pay, but I have never seen any RNs come in and apply for a clinic job. The state I live in LPNs are becoming more and more limited on what they can do. The hospitals near me really don't hire many. Most ICU/CCUs won't hire LPNs. If you can land a job in maternity, it is only post-partum care. Some of the ERs are getting away from the LPNs too. Most of the ones I know have went either to nursing homes or clinics. I know one that works in med/sur, but the LPNs make way less than the RNs.

I can't figure out what they would have to retrain for. I posted above about the bridge programs available, and they will accept 1 year of nursing courses for the RN program.

Well in my area - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
The two area community colleges in my area that have really good nursing programs (and whose graduates regularly get hired by the local hospitals) require an LPN license prior to admittance into the RN program, so you might want to research that in the event you are considering the RN down the line.

Personally, I would go for the RHIT, if given the choice only between the two options and given that you only have a year left in the each. I had a hard enough time changing my childrens' diapers, lol.

What I would really do though is go through a coding course, like Andrews, sit for both the CCS and CPC, get hired preferably at a hospital doing inpatient coding, and then have Them reimburse me for going back to school to get the RHIT (or RHIA if you already have a BA).

Good luck!

Nursing is no better than MT. Don't be misled. - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I have several family members who are RNs and LPNs, both are overworked and underpaid. The hospitals and other facilities don't want to pay the money for a full staff so they double up on the work on one nurse; it's cheaper for them. It's a stressful job, and while the money might be better than MT, you still get treated like sh**.

I agree with that. Nurses seem to get - burnt out pretty quickly

[ In Reply To ..]
but I also think it is becoming pretty common in the workforce to feel overworked and underpaid. It is like this in about every position in the hospital. You just have to decide if the stress is worth it. You can get your ASN in about 2-3 years and make fairly good money. I honestly don't know many jobs now that people don't get treated like crap.

Similar Messages:

2012 MT Of The Year Forgot To Mention That She Was Taxed
May 23, 2013

x ...

Just Lost Job 2/2/2012 After Ten Year Long Career - Any Helpful Hints
Feb 13, 2012

Well after ten years as radiology transcriptionist I lost my job to new technology.  Any helpful hints on finding a new job, what the market is for radiology transcriptiionists, is there any hope for me? ...

How Would You Type: For The Past Year-year And A Half?
Sep 09, 2011

.. ...

WOW Just Got My W2 For 2012
Jan 17, 2013

Can anybody cheer me up. This is so disgusting I have just decided to take early Social Security retirement because my pay is soooo low, and the limit for 2013 to earn is $15,320. So I guess these disgusting pay rates are good for one thing. ...

Insurance...do I Have It For 06/01/12-06/30/2012
May 25, 2012

Been here 10+ yrs.  Did I miss something.  Our new insurance plan starts 07/01/12, but the plan I'm on seems to expire 05/31/12.  Ouch.  ...

Transcend W2's- Does Anyone Know If What Is The ADP For 2012 Is All We Need Or---sm
Jan 20, 2013

or will we be receiving an additional W2 from Nuance for that last payperiod that started on the 22nd?  Thanks.  ...

Pt Has A "several Year" History Of A Slowly-growing Mass. Hyphen Several Year?
Jan 25, 2011

? ...

File Transfers 2012
Jun 13, 2012

Setting up a doc for digital with a Phillips 9600 or 9610 (not sure which way to go)...what is the current (2012) best method for file transfers....FTPs....cost effective ways...Dropbox?? or a service of some sort...Need to make this easy yet compliant....please help...any suggestions appreciated :) ...

Conference Call 10/15/2012
Oct 17, 2012

Maybe if MModal hired fewer employees from Microsoft they could afford to pay transcriptionist better and allow for cost of living raises.  I have been a transcriptionist for going on 30 years and this company is one of the reasons we can't make a living wage.  I am so tired of hearing the term "industry standard" because in the past when I worked with other companies and directly in-house I was paid more.  Just because it is the "industry standard" does not make it right. &n ...

Alphastaff Employer For 2012 On W2
Mar 02, 2013

How about that. No *paper* record of me ever being employed by Nuance Transcription Services. Are they hiding something? ...

Looking For Tax Software 2005-2012
Dec 06, 2013

I have a friend who has his own small business and was the victim of identity theft.  He now has to refile for the years of 2005-2012 and really cannot afford to pay a CPA for all those years and needs to purchase (at a great deal) TurboTax, TaxAct, or similar good quality software that is for home and business (with state preferred, but not 100% necessary).  I know he was looking online to find these, but I figured I'd ask here for him since a lot of US are self-employed and migh ...

Medical Costs To Raise 8.5% In 2012
May 20, 2011

Wonder how much more our wages will drop as medical costs continue to skyrocket out of control. ...

Anyone At Oracle? Read Posts From 2012...
Jul 21, 2012

Doesn't sound very good there either.  OMG are there any companies out there who respect their employees and pay a decent salary with no VR ?????????????? ...

Graduating October 30, 2012 Looking For Work
Oct 02, 2012

I will be finished with school at the end of this month. Does anyone hire recent grads? How can I get into the field if everyone wants to hire only those with experience? I could use some help on this. Please let me know if anyone has any advice. Thank you, ***** ...

Rates Per Line Or Minute In 2012
Oct 29, 2012

What is the current (2012) appropriate rate to charge for medication transcription services, either per line or per minute? ...

Nuance - Q4 2012 Results...BARF
Nov 20, 2012

See below for what Nuance did for 4th Quarter 2012. - it is very involved - but - at the top of page two they state they expect revenue from Healthcare to be 1 BILLION in 2013 - Then on page 3 in the Question/Answer section Paul Ricci Chief Exe Officer states: " It has been and continues to be our strategy to diminish the amount of labor contribution even as we have acquired some firms with large labor populations.  Our goal over time is to get greater leverage out of that labor contr ...

Rumor Earlier In 2012 That Transtech Was Going To
Jan 15, 2013

be acquired.  Did that ever happen?  Is it going to?  Already been through 2 acquisitions and don't want to do it again, so want to know Transtech status before possibly applying.  Any info?  Thanks ...

Nuance CEO Made $37 Million In 2012
Apr 14, 2013

President of Marketing made $7.58 million. CFO made $6.17 million. Executive VP of Corporate Strategy and Development made $2.52 million. Executive VP of Healthcare Division made $1.94 million.   WHY ARE YOU WASTING TIME READING THIS?  GET TO TYPING!!  THE EXECUTIVES NEED THEIR PAYCHECKS!!     ...

Clinical Coding Workout 2012 .... Help Please?
Mar 05, 2015

Hi everyone, I'm studying for practice as well as for an upcoming CCS Exam I have the 2012 book with answers but I'm getting a contradiction in answers between pgs. 274 & 357. for the same conditions. Both Behavioral Health sections. ** Case Studies from Inpatient Health Records (p 274) Behavioral Health Condition #7.26 It reads,  ".. a 26 y/o white male was admitted after being transferred  from the outpatient evaluation service with severe homicidal and suicidal i ...

AAPC 2012 Salary Survey Results
Nov 05, 2012

I am a member of AAPC and just received and reviewed AAPC's 2012 Salary Survey Results. You must be a member to read the survey. Because of the alarming wage decline as a medical transcriptionist, I decided to become certified as a coder and AAPC certification can be achieved sooner than AHIMA certification. I took AAPC's online course in February, achieved the CPC-H certification in September and have an apprentice designation. I am now searching for employment. According to th ...

Is This 2012?? The Entire Communications Phone, TV And Now MQ Have Gone Bonkers Today! Sm
Sep 26, 2010

Very strange things going on where I live in the South.   This morning AT&T phone is not working right, My unfortunate status as on dial up is hopeless and the two phone lines I have seemed to be crossing each other.  Bad static, fax line noises.  Trying to connect and can get only 19K!!!   Can't get anything to pull up.   Called Support and addressed this problem.  Called AT&T and they did say there are problems in this area, and it migh ...

Year Old Versus Year-old
Aug 28, 2014

If no noun following such as female or male should this be hyphenated, i.e. if stated "A 10 year old has stomachache".... should it be "A 10-year-old has stomachache" ..... ...

Let's Please Stop It!
Nov 28, 2009

The conference calls are over,  the paperwork will soon be sent in, and rumors have been put to rest, at least I think they have been.  I am encouraged because D seems to be more at the helm than I thought she was going to be.  She answered a question yesterday which made things more clear about the rate cut.  I said a long time ago that 10 or 11 cpl was not going to fly forever.  You charge only what the market can bear, and in this economy it cannot handle those rates. ...

When Are They Going To Stop Messing With
Feb 10, 2010

MQ has made big changes to my primary account.  Now things are all messed up and because of it, we have to re-enter redundant information in the ADT screen.  For example, it says ADT Attending and ADT Admitting with the doc's names.  Those aren't carrying over to the report now, for some reason, so we have to re-enter those docs names in the additional ADT field under attending and admitting.  Also, all of the reference repository stuff is gone.  It now says th ...

Stop Yawning At Me!!!!
Nov 09, 2010

She started out the dictation yawning and apologized for it the first time but then went on to do it 3 or 4 more times.  It's a good thing I'm near the end of my night because now I'm yawning like crazy. ...

Hey MTSO, Just Stop ...
Feb 14, 2011

assigning me the garbage work just because you "think" I can do it.  Had to vent, really sick of it!  Between the ESLs and the stuff where people say things that do not make sense I am really getting fed up!  Sorry, had to vent.  I know you read this and I know you know who is this. ...

If You Are Let Go At WMX, Does Your Insurance Stop
Feb 23, 2011

nm ...

The Abuse Won't Stop
Jul 03, 2012

No one is going to do it for us.  There is wage theft, minimum wage, changing of timecards, disrespect for our knowledge, ridiculous working conditions, bad management, and no communication.  MTs have been left completely out of the conversation, and they are the MT in MTSO.  How bizarre is that? I think everyone should just walk away from their keyboards.  We won't know what the result of an action like that will be until we take it, and hold a positive intent on beha ...

Re: Comedy Stop
Jul 05, 2012

I really hope this doesn't get redirected. I meant to put it on the Main Board. I want to send out a request for more VR and dictation funnies. MTStars has gotten so depressing lately, and I could really use some laughs. ...

For Those Saying We Should Stop Training VR. If We Did, How
Oct 04, 2012

x ...