A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

coding a bill - trans22

Posted: Aug 10, 2011

I have a question ?? I am a transcriptionist in a surgeons office.  I transcribe the report, fax it if it needs to be faxed and it gets filed in chart.  The billing takes place 2 to 3 weeks later for the service depending on how current the coder is.  Now.... this is the question.  The physician is very greedy and likes to have level III and IV charges.  His gait keeper has decided that he was not dictating enough and not getting the higher levels and too many level IIs.  So in the meantime she is giving them back with an extra line or two and billing for the higher code.  No the record has been dictated, transcribed and just waiting to be billed.  Is this legal?  I feel like I am in a very difficult spot, I think it  is upcoding and that is illegal, right?  Please only knowledgeable coders respond!!

Depends - Knowledgeable Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
It kind of depends on what she is adding. Is it something he actually DID? If she's adding PE, did he really do that in the exam? Is it HPI? Did he really ask the patient about that and just forget to mention it when he dictated? And how would you know?

There is more than amount of documentation that goes into an E/M level. If someone has a cold, you cannot ever end up with a level 4 and probably not even a 3, because it is a minor, self-limited problem. You can add documentation and bump up the code, but the service won't qualify for that code. That is easily seen on an audit.

From your perspective, it would be difficult to tell what he did and whether the additions are warranted or are just there for upcoding purposes. Right now, you are seeing his original dictation as "the official what happened," but doctors can amend their reports later if necessary. If this is being done within 2-3 weeks, then the time frame isn't unreasonable.

I would stop worrying that you are in a tight spot, because you really are not. You are thinking you're seeing illegal upcoding, but it probably isn't that, even if the doctor is greedy.

If I were there, I'd probably be all over him to fix his dictation, too. That's what should happen in the long run -- he should fix his dictation practices so that change are no longer necessary after the fact.

I'm not so sure someone ELSE should be amending his dictation. But, maybe the gate-keeper has his permission or does this with his consent. He's the one who signs it, after all. If he's signing it, then he's responsible.

If he is doing something wrong, one of the Medicare audits is going to nail him. If his code utilization does not match the expected, they'll see it right away. Their computers monitor this.

My recommendation is that you avoid worrying about this. Just make the changes as requested. You're the transcriptionist, not the coder or the biller or the office manager, and those are the people who will get nailed on this. If the FBI came in to investigate, I'm sure they would want your computer, and you would have the pre- and post- changes in there for them to see. Right now, though, it's not possible to tell if anything bad is happening, so I'd chill and maybe sign up for a coding course so that next year at this time you can be the person advising doctors how to fix their documentation. :)

E/M coding - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
There are on-line seminars and classes for physicians (and coders) to take to help the physician properly document a visit to optimize payment, it has nothing do with greed as long as they are including what they actually did. As an MT, the responsibility does not rest with you. Anyway, "E/M University" is a website that I have used and found helpful. They also e-mail the "Case of the Week," a self-test for coders and providers to make sure they do things properly.

Those aren't really coding courses but they might be somewhat helpful - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The doctors I worked for used to go to those seminars and someone would just give them the codes that they should use for the exams they do most often. It's a short-cut and lots of doctors do it, but it's not anything close to being a real coder. It may not be a bad idea, but I just wanted to point out that you won't be a coder after attending a short course or seminar. You would be able to identify enough to choose from several codes in a doctor's office that only does a few procedures. That may be all you need, but it isn't coding. It's more like billing.
Courses - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I know they are no substitute for the real thing, but I found the on-line programs such as E/M University helpful when I was a student and still do the self assessments. I assumed that the person who did this already knew how to code. The OP stated that there were documentation issues at her office and it sounded like a small facility. I thought it might be a good thing for the provider to do to avoid having to make corrections in the dictated reports.

Similar Messages:

New MT. How/What To Bill?
Apr 19, 2012

I just started working as an MT 5 or 6 weeks ago.  I have about 10 IME's I need to bill them for.  What is the going rate for this, if someone wouldn't mind explaining to me? They asked what my going rate was, and I had no idea.  They said, it's usually .11/line.  The doctor is very difficult to understand sometimes, so it can take much longer to decipher what he says.  I keep telling myself that I am receiving, basically, paid learn-as-you-go training, so ...

Bill Passed
Mar 31, 2014

nm ...

What Company Is Bill Baker Associated With?
Nov 30, 2009

He has an ad on the job board for 3 FT MTs, but there's no company name listed.  Anyone know the company name?  ...

Duck Bill Retractor
Jun 22, 2010

Is it one word?  Capitalized? ...

Can You Bill For An Unseen Patient? Sm
Jul 30, 2014

A patient came in to the office, threw his urine drug screen req form at me, spouted off profanities at my doctor, got in his face, threatened him with both physical violence and a lawsuit (for telling him to leave and calm down and then come back), called him a bunch of names and then stomped off.  Can't bill for that, can I?  It seems a shame since that slot could have been used for a good patient, not to mention the whole thing took 25 minutees.  ...

Someone Please Tell Me Why My Phone Bill Is $550 Frickin Dollors?
Dec 13, 2010

I'm looking at our phone bill for a 12port system and its $550!   that is ridiculous!   and why in the world would I want to pay 15 or 18 cents PER MINUTE for a company to let me use their phone lines when Toll Free only costs 3 cents per minute???   Something has got to give or this industry in the US is going to CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

I Wonder How The New Health Care Bill Will Affect Our Jobs?
Nov 08, 2009

I.e., how will Medquist use the new bill to their benefit? ...

Bill S.3480 Will Give Feds Power To Shut Down The Internet
Jun 16, 2010

The internet is a dangerous place and this goes a bit too far but it is illustrative of how the danger is being recognized. I think it is just a matter of time before medical records will no longer be processed over the internet. Once that happens, perhaps our jobs will come back. ...

Any Companies Left That Has The "bill Me Later" Option For Electronic Spellcheckers And Bo
Oct 23, 2013

I recently started with a new company and my spellchecker disc is broken. Does anyone know of any company or website that lets you purchase these and bill you later? Years and years ago, Lippincott did this but now they don't. It was so helpful before. Are there any companies that do this anymore? Thanks for your help. I am broke but really need this for my job and it is several weeks before payday. ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Certification In Coding Or AA Degree In Coding??
May 11, 2010

Is there really such a thing as an AA degree in coding?  Sounds odd to me.  Health administration or management, or RHIT I can see, but coding? Is it not better to just become Certified even if you dont have an AA degree? ...

Coding School - Fate Of Coding Due To EMR
Apr 10, 2012

Wondering if there are any coders out there who can give me an idea of the fate of coding due to the EMR. Are there still coding jobs out there? Would it be wise to attend school for coding at this point or do you think it will be lost to the EMR eventually? I live in a rural area and there are advertisements for registered/accredited coders at medical facilities, but I'm afraid of spending all that time and money on schooling only to not be able to find a job. Any information/insight w ...

Coding :: Thinking About Changing From MT To Coding
Oct 07, 2013

I am thinking about changing from MT to coding.  Are there many opportunities to work from home with coding?  What would be a good school to attend? Thank you for the help. ...

Do I Need To Take An Actual Coding Course To Learn Coding?
Feb 26, 2014

My sister is taking an online coding course and complains that there is no real "teaching," that she's basically just doing the work in the work book and entering answers online, then taking an online chapter test.  This makes me wonder about the necessity of signing up for an actual course.  I would like to learn how to code, but to me, without any actual instruction, what's the purpose of signing up for one of these online courses? ...

Coding :: Age Restriction On New Coding Students?
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone know if MM has an age restriction on new coding students? ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

MT To Coding
Sep 27, 2010

I've been an MT for going on 8 years now, and I've been throwing around the idea of taking a coding class. I would really like to have something else to fall back on, as it seems that MT'ing is going more and more to VR. There's a local coding class that begins in January for $1700, but I wanted to get some feedback of current coders before signing up. Is the demand for coders still fairly high? Is it hard to find a job as a newbie, even with already having experience in the ...

Is Coding The Way To Go?!
Jan 19, 2011

I have almost 12 years experience as an MT (turn 30 in a month ACK!)  My mom has been telling me for a couple years now (since it started going downhill) that I should maybe think about coding as a career.  I guess she thinks I'd be good at it, but I have no idea.  I have just started my research but I thought I would kind of get some pros and cons about it see if anyone had advice or thoughts on anyone thinking about it.  I always feel like I'm too old to start som ...

What Do You (did You) Like Best About Your Coding Course?
Dec 27, 2011

What was the best thing about the coding course you took? Did it prepare you for the CCS and CPC exams or maybe just the CCA? Did you take any of those exams and did you pass or fail them?  What course did you take? Did you think it was hard or easy? You don't need to answer all of the questions, but maybe a couple of them. Thanks.  ...

I Keep Looking At Coding, Considering It But........
Feb 11, 2012

there's just ONE little thing that keeps me doubting the possibility of it being a long-term career: I keep seeing more and more ads every week for "at home coders".  Does this make you at least a little nervous?  It makes me a LOT nervous.  We all know that once MTs started working from home, the MT field went into a tailspin, pay-wise, because "work-at-home" seems to translate into "work-in-India", instead.  Also I see some ads for MTSOs that also offer coding.  ...

E&M Coding?
Apr 16, 2012

Is Evaluation and management coding hard to learn? ...

Coding Vs MT, What To Do....
May 10, 2012

I am generally pretty good at making my own decisions; however, I need advice on what to do in this situation. I am currently an MT making $55,000-$60,000 year. The last few years MT work slowed down due to VR/EMR and it was harder and harder to replace lost accounts. While I was looking for another client/MTSO to fill the gap last year, I took a college course for coding and passed the CPC thinking I would have a back-up plan if needed; however, I found more MT work shortly after passing the C ...

How Did You Get Your First Coding Job?
Aug 14, 2012

I passed the CCS and CPC exam 8 months ago but have yet to find a job :(.  I busted my bu** to become a certified coder, and now that I am one, no one will hire me without experience.  I live in a small town.  We have one hospital.  I applied and was flat out told they cannot hire coders without minimum 2 years experience.  I asked if I could volunteer or job shadow and they said no.  No jobs there in HIM at all.  Our local medical clinic has a coding company t ...

Coding As An Art: Another Way To Look At Coding
Oct 12, 2012

I think it's a good artcile about coding and will give you a glimpse into it too. ...

Is Coding Going To Go The Same Way As MT?
Jul 09, 2013

Before I take this leap of faith into coding school, will the EHR/VR technology be sinking the coding ship too?   ...

Help With Coding Course
Jul 21, 2013

Can anyone help out with a basics coding course I am taking? ...

Be Sure You Know What You're Getting Into With The Coding
Mar 12, 2014

Just got an e-mail from my manager stating that if you get accepted into the program, all money paid while training will have to be paid back if you do not complete or pass the course or if you pass and do not stay with the company for 24 months following completion of the training. You also still have to work your regular number of hours. If you can't get your homework done in the 20 paid hours, then you will have to do it on your own time. ...

Considering Coding And Have
May 14, 2014

I've seen lots of people ask questions about coding, but I have some questions I haven't seen asked before and was hoping somebody could answer them.  I'd hate to go to school for something and then learn the hard way that I hate the job.  BTDT and don't want to do it again! -What do you like best about coding? -What do you hate about coding? -What is the most stressful part of the job? -What kinds of people would like coding? Thanks in advance for any answers ...

So I'm Trying To Get Out Of MT And Was Considering Coding
May 19, 2015

based on reading here that they prepare you for the CCS, which is know is pretty much mandatory .  Anyway, what I read there about their coding program sounded really good, but then I read about their transcription program.  I now have lost respect for this school.  How can I believe what they say about coding when they tout medical transcription as still being a good career?   I know I work for the notoriously WORST of the worst company, Nuance, but I think all MT companie ...

Coding Won't Die - Here's Why
Jun 10, 2015