A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New MT. How/What to Bill? - JJ

Posted: Apr 19, 2012

I just started working as an MT 5 or 6 weeks ago.  I have about 10 IME's I need to bill them for.  What is the going rate for this, if someone wouldn't mind explaining to me? They asked what my going rate was, and I had no idea.  They said, it's usually .11/line.  The doctor is very difficult to understand sometimes, so it can take much longer to decipher what he says.  I keep telling myself that I am receiving, basically, paid learn-as-you-go training, so anything it probably fine?  

Can anyone help me out with this?  I would very much appreciate it! Embarassed

JJ 

wow. - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you should count your blessing they think the rate should be about 11 cpl and bill that.

Now to address the issue going forward. You are the IC and you set your rate based on what you know about yourself and your worth. Does 11 cpl work out to be a good hourly wage (maybe less so now but yes after a year of experience)? Consider about 30% of that wage will be earmarked for taxes. What is your overhead? Did you drive to pick it up? If you did drive, what is your cost per mile? Maybe you need to charge a flat pick up/delivery fee rather than putting that cost into your line rate. Do you pay DSL or cable for internent service as part of your business? What is the relative cost of living in your area? Do you use your printer? If so, what are those costs? This is something that a flat fee could be charged rather than adding it into your line rate.

Think like a professional and then you came become one.

Line Rates.. - JJ

[ In Reply To ..]
ICManiac, thank you for your response!

It seems like a good rate if he wasn't so hard to understand, and take so long to decipher what he is saying. I don't have to print the report, just submit it on an online storage site. I guess my costs, so far, would be: Internet (although I would have that anyways), my laptop & Microsoft word (again, had those anyways), Express Scribe software, and foot petal (one time costs: $60), headphones, Shorthand software ($30 a year). So, costs are minimal.

Also, once I submit the report, it is sent back to me and I fix all the errors/any requested changes, that are noted.

I only have experience, as a paralegal for two different law firms, MS word training, and can type fast. But absolutely no MT training. My degree is in finance. So, part of me thinks maybe the low wage is OK, if I consider it free training?! I don't know..

Does anyone have any further advice on this??

-JJ

Similar Messages:

Coding A Bill
Aug 10, 2011

I have a question ?? I am a transcriptionist in a surgeons office.  I transcribe the report, fax it if it needs to be faxed and it gets filed in chart.  The billing takes place 2 to 3 weeks later for the service depending on how current the coder is.  Now.... this is the question.  The physician is very greedy and likes to have level III and IV charges.  His gait keeper has decided that he was not dictating enough and not getting the higher levels and too many level IIs. ...

Bill Passed
Mar 31, 2014

nm ...

What Company Is Bill Baker Associated With?
Nov 30, 2009

He has an ad on the job board for 3 FT MTs, but there's no company name listed.  Anyone know the company name?  ...

Duck Bill Retractor
Jun 22, 2010

Is it one word?  Capitalized? ...

Can You Bill For An Unseen Patient? Sm
Jul 30, 2014

A patient came in to the office, threw his urine drug screen req form at me, spouted off profanities at my doctor, got in his face, threatened him with both physical violence and a lawsuit (for telling him to leave and calm down and then come back), called him a bunch of names and then stomped off.  Can't bill for that, can I?  It seems a shame since that slot could have been used for a good patient, not to mention the whole thing took 25 minutees.  ...

Someone Please Tell Me Why My Phone Bill Is $550 Frickin Dollors?
Dec 13, 2010

I'm looking at our phone bill for a 12port system and its $550!   that is ridiculous!   and why in the world would I want to pay 15 or 18 cents PER MINUTE for a company to let me use their phone lines when Toll Free only costs 3 cents per minute???   Something has got to give or this industry in the US is going to CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

I Wonder How The New Health Care Bill Will Affect Our Jobs?
Nov 08, 2009

I.e., how will Medquist use the new bill to their benefit? ...

Bill S.3480 Will Give Feds Power To Shut Down The Internet
Jun 16, 2010

The internet is a dangerous place and this goes a bit too far but it is illustrative of how the danger is being recognized. I think it is just a matter of time before medical records will no longer be processed over the internet. Once that happens, perhaps our jobs will come back. ...

Any Companies Left That Has The "bill Me Later" Option For Electronic Spellcheckers And Bo
Oct 23, 2013

I recently started with a new company and my spellchecker disc is broken. Does anyone know of any company or website that lets you purchase these and bill you later? Years and years ago, Lippincott did this but now they don't. It was so helpful before. Are there any companies that do this anymore? Thanks for your help. I am broke but really need this for my job and it is several weeks before payday. ...