A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Bill S.3480 Will give feds power to shut down the internet - in the name of homeland security

Posted: Jun 16, 2010

The internet is a dangerous place and this goes a bit too far but it is illustrative of how the danger is being recognized. I think it is just a matter of time before medical records will no longer be processed over the internet. Once that happens, perhaps our jobs will come back.

Yeah, more gov't control over our lives - just me

[ In Reply To ..]
Do we really want to give the government the ability to shut down the internet? It is already becoming a dictatorship.

And do you think that is going to change the fact that all of this will be on EHR within the next few years and no one on here will have any transcription or ASR to complain about. Over 350,000 MTs in the US, and i am sure many more than that around the world, will feel the sting of EHR.

Recent news about EHR - It is not working well

[ In Reply To ..]
Because it is too time consuming, cumbersome and clunky. I read an article that said a doctor loses 90 minutes a day in productive time while fiddling around with his computer.

he'll learn, he loses more time dictating his reports - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
It takes 2 minutes to dictate new patient and 38 seconds - for returning patient
[ In Reply To ..]
If you do the math at 25 patients a day, you don't get to 90 minutes.

This is worrisome - anonymoose

[ In Reply To ..]
I've heard this, however, I really don't think they could get away with it (although truthfully I didn't think they could get away with some of the stuff they are doing as it is), but if they pull internet I don't think they realize just how bad it would be. This is our livelihood. This is how we work. I don't think shutting down the internet will bring our jobs back. Unless the hospital I work for is going to relocate into my home.

Very dangerous and scary times we live in, that's for sure.

You don't need internet to work from home - there are other ways

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Can you elaborate please - anonymoose

[ In Reply To ..]
I am unsure what other ways you are talking about. My job depends on the internet. My account is not in the area I live in. There are no jobs here. Hence I work off of the internet and it's the only way I know how to pull my work in. What ways are you thinking of. Would love to know because maybe I'm just stuck on the only way I know.

OMG, you mean pick up tapes or use phone lines to call - long distance and rerecord? NO WAY!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
No, that's not necessary - There are other ways
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Such as? We've been waiting to hear. No Internet, no - phones and no tapes. So how?
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Phones and digital voice were around - before the internet
[ In Reply To ..]
We got along before without the internet just fine working from home and without tapes as well. Just think back and you will remember. That is unless you are relatively new to the industry and then you may think the only way to do it is over the internet.
I wouldn't go quite that hysterical over this hypothetical situation - My Goodness
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think it's worth all the OMGing.

do you really think corporate Americal would allow that? too much money involved. - small message

[ In Reply To ..]
EVERY business depends on the internet, and for what? Sell, buy, sell, banking...

I can't see it ever happening.

and if it does - I'm working with tapes again and/or in-house. MTSOs who dun baaad? NJA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or shut it down if politics are too negative for them. - scary govt these days. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

So How Can Someone Do Their Job When Their Is Power Outages And You Have Lost Your Internet? Sm
Apr 12, 2011

I realize that any job it is necessary for one to be at their "station" when scheduled, but what happens when you have power outages and your internet has been disconnected?  It is hard to make up time also when there is DQS downage.  Crackdown on the weekend turnarounds.  MQ needs to take in consideration the situations that are beyond control and also the CCMs are being held to task over this.  I, for one, am totally respectful and care very much about our CCM.   ...

INDIA'S POWER GRID COLLAPSES - 680 MILLION LOSE POWER
Jul 31, 2012

One of the things I have repeatedly written and warned about when it comes to outsourcing is the uncertain infrastructure that many foreign countries have - and I'm not just talking about their electrical grids. Foreign countries introduce huge elements of uncertainty (read, RISK) when it comes to their physical infrastructure, but also their social, governmental and legal infrastructures.  And when it comes to something as CRITICAL as American healthcare records (which, may I remind ...

Crazy, Power Hungry, Power Tripping
Jan 09, 2014

cow patty snorting, dense MMEs.  O.M.G. Can't believe the STUPID feedback some of them give.  End of rant ...

New MT. How/What To Bill?
Apr 19, 2012

I just started working as an MT 5 or 6 weeks ago.  I have about 10 IME's I need to bill them for.  What is the going rate for this, if someone wouldn't mind explaining to me? They asked what my going rate was, and I had no idea.  They said, it's usually .11/line.  The doctor is very difficult to understand sometimes, so it can take much longer to decipher what he says.  I keep telling myself that I am receiving, basically, paid learn-as-you-go training, so ...

Cpu Shut Down
Sep 28, 2012

Actually, 2 days in a row, when I started my machine, it was on, but no screen.  Today it said it was a cpu shut down due to thermal event.  So is my computer going to need replaced soon?  ...

Coding A Bill
Aug 10, 2011

I have a question ?? I am a transcriptionist in a surgeons office.  I transcribe the report, fax it if it needs to be faxed and it gets filed in chart.  The billing takes place 2 to 3 weeks later for the service depending on how current the coder is.  Now.... this is the question.  The physician is very greedy and likes to have level III and IV charges.  His gait keeper has decided that he was not dictating enough and not getting the higher levels and too many level IIs. ...

Fluency Just Shut Off
Feb 26, 2014

For the love of Mike! ...

Bill Passed
Mar 31, 2014

nm ...

What Company Is Bill Baker Associated With?
Nov 30, 2009

He has an ad on the job board for 3 FT MTs, but there's no company name listed.  Anyone know the company name?  ...

Duck Bill Retractor
Jun 22, 2010

Is it one word?  Capitalized? ...

Another Friday Night Of Having To Shut Down
Nov 26, 2010

While that stupid background virus scan is working on all workstations!!! Can the management people who work behind the scene not get it through their heads that this interrupts everything?? Geeze. My computer locks up every single time this thing runs and it always runs every Friday night. They must be using some updated Java thing with the program because that is what locks me up. My computer has an older Java version that they are using and right in the middle of running their scan, Java mess ...

System Shut Down When Working
Apr 09, 2014

Does anyone else have this happen???!!! I was working on a horrible report, bad quality, lots to fix. I stopped to go get the mail, make a sandwich. When I got back, it had shut down "after being inactive for one hour" WHAT? I was NOT gone for an hour. This has happened to me before. Now this report that I had spent over 20 minutes on and was just going to recheck it, I get nothing for! ...

Can You Bill For An Unseen Patient? Sm
Jul 30, 2014

A patient came in to the office, threw his urine drug screen req form at me, spouted off profanities at my doctor, got in his face, threatened him with both physical violence and a lawsuit (for telling him to leave and calm down and then come back), called him a bunch of names and then stomped off.  Can't bill for that, can I?  It seems a shame since that slot could have been used for a good patient, not to mention the whole thing took 25 minutees.  ...

Is The Company Board Shut Down Or Broken? Nm
May 24, 2010

nm ...

Someone Please Tell Me Why My Phone Bill Is $550 Frickin Dollors?
Dec 13, 2010

I'm looking at our phone bill for a 12port system and its $550!   that is ridiculous!   and why in the world would I want to pay 15 or 18 cents PER MINUTE for a company to let me use their phone lines when Toll Free only costs 3 cents per minute???   Something has got to give or this industry in the US is going to CRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

MTJobs And MTDaily Websites Have Shut Down-sm
Jan 09, 2015

I just noticed that MTJobs and MTdaily are no longer functioning... ...

Wow, They Shut You Out Of Webmail Quickly After You Quit
Mar 21, 2015

Like within 2 to 3 hours. It's not like I care about the e-mails in the account, but wouldn't they want to talk to me about getting their foot pedal back to them? Or removing software?   Anyway, I'm free! ...

I Wonder How The New Health Care Bill Will Affect Our Jobs?
Nov 08, 2009

I.e., how will Medquist use the new bill to their benefit? ...

MT Power
Jan 28, 2010

We need an MT/ME Bill of Rights.  We should have some input in this company, since without us, it wouldn't exist.  We should: Ding the dingers:  QA/MME should be dinged for each blank They leave, each incorrect correction, and each inconsistent ding for "personal preference" corrections and punctuation. Ding CCM:  For not responding to us within 24 hours of initial contact.  For giving incorrect backlog information, asking for extra help, when, in f ...

10 To The 4th Power
Mar 01, 2012

Can someone tell me how to format "10 to the 4th" power? please. ...

So My Power Goes Out, Right?
Feb 24, 2013

In the middle of a report.  Tripped a breaker or something.  Got the power back on, got the PC up and running again...and it won't let me log in to DQS.  Says somebody's already logged in (that would be me!) and I can't log in till they log out.  In other words, till it times out from inactivity and throws that job back into the queue.  This has never happened to me before! ...

Power Of 10 Campaign
Sep 22, 2010

I just received an email from my company directing me to this Power of 10 link by AHDI asking for all MTs to donate 10.00.    Has anyone donated or do you plan on doing so? ...

Power Outage
Nov 19, 2010

Apparently somebody just had a "power outage."  Was a letter with the doctor dictating 90 miles an hour the name of who the letter was supposed to go to and the carbon copies.  I would like to have thrown it back also, but after a lot of tediousness, I did complete it WITH NO BLANKS.  I might not have known, but they had put something at the top of the report that was still there.  ...

Power Outages
Oct 28, 2013

How do you deal with power outages?  Does anyone utilize a generator with your computer and internet if the power goes out?  What does your company say about power outages?  Thanks, we lose power a lot and I wonder if a computer and my modem will work with a generator as backup.  ...

Power Hour??? PLEASE
Dec 18, 2014

I feel the sniffles coming on!! ...

Segmental Power Testing.
Apr 02, 2011

segmental power testing in neurologic exam almost sounds like segmentus ...

India Power Outages
Jul 31, 2012

Not sure if anyone has posted about this or even if this is the proper place to post this but I read about it this a.m.  Hmmm...I wonder if they can "handle the truth" transcription?? http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/31/world/asia/india-blackout/index.html ...

Just Experienced The Power Hour
Dec 19, 2014

so for 1 hour we are going to get work from another POD that is way behind.....well guess what, if I had stayed in my own POD which is also flooded with work, I would have accomplished over 400 lines, but in this "power hour"  I typed a total of 95 lines because I spent all my time reading over client profiles and looking up old jobs making sure I got everything right. The hour is up, and strange jobs are coming in so I signed out for a break. Yeah...this power hour works really well. ...

Oh Great Another Power Hour
Mar 12, 2015

x ...

Making Up Time Because Of Power Outage
Dec 27, 2009

Is anyone else in the same boat as me,  I have been without power now for a full total of 6 days.  4 straight days, then off and on.  Then Christmas Day and day after Christmas.   How to make this up I don't know....  Impossible.   Anyway I do the best I can and keep on plugging even in the face of adversity.   I had bad dreams last night I was constantly running from the mafia hit bosses who had my name and my family on a hit list.   Not a pleasant d ...