A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Suggestions for new MM coders! - Coder

Posted: Mar 23, 2014

I'll start off with some office supply suggestions.

Code books have really thin pages,  and really teeny writing, so you will want to highlight a FEW choice items.  This has to be done *modestly* without ruining them.   Regular highlighters will bleed through.   Too much highlighting and note-writing will ruin them.

AHIMA and AAPC have different requirements for writing in books.  Be sure to review that before you staple, paste, glue, tape, write, or highlight.  Otherwise, you will have to buy a new book for the exam.

The best highlighter now is the Sharpie Gel.  Look those up on Amazon.  The least expensive choice is Sharpie number 1780475, a set of 3 in yellow, orange and pink, for 4.44.  They are like soft, transparent crayons.  No bleeding at all. They are bright enough that you can SEE the highlighting.  I love them...they are like adult crayons.

Another great option is Zebra Eco Zebrite Double-Ended Chisel/finepoint.  There is a set of 5 on Amazon  for 4.99.  

Dry Bible highlighters do not work well at all.  They are very hard to see.

Thanks Coder! - Presuming the exams allow highlighting then? (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

Yes, they do allow minimal highlighting & notes - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
The link is hard to find. I put the AAPC's below.

Note the #2 pencils. Suggest you study with them.

Note that only AMA CPT basic and Professional books are allowed. The CPT Expert from Optum Ingenix is not allowed. However, Optum Ingenix Expert editions of HCPCS and ICD are allowed. This is difficult to grasp, but MM should give you the right ones.

Sweet! I already have the AMA CPT Pro version. - Just need ICD-10 now.

[ In Reply To ..]
Luckily I haven't written anything in it at all yet.

I will hold off on getting the ICD-10 in case MM provides.

Thanks for all your advice - you have been great.

Take a peek at the exam requirements. - Yes, before you begin.

[ In Reply To ..]
The post above mentioned that both AHIMA and the AAPC have restrictions on books and what can be in them. I recommend printing out or bookmarking the exam requirements and reviewing them every week or so. Get really familiar with them. Otherwise, you will get up to test time and discover that you didn't or did do something wrong.

The tips for the AAPC exams are below. They are given in a classroom or conference room, usually, at a local hospital or college. Your test performance later will be better if you study under "test" conditions. At a table, not on the couch or in bed. Work for efficiency and speed from day 1 *with a timer*! (Habituate yourself to being timed and it will not bother you. You will also finish the exam in time.) Have only bottled water to drink, not coffee in a cup. Nibble only hard candy that is the same as you will take to the exam. They recommend lemon or peppermint. Choose one and nibble only that; it will literally help you access the knowledge you are storing away.

Get 7 to 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. You need REM dream time to store what you are learning. If you keep waking up or sleep in short spurts, you will not learn. Avoid alcohol entirely and caffeine after noon, both of which interfere with sleep and thus impede learning.

I suspect you will be taking the AAPC exam first, but if it is the CCA, check the exam requirements on the AHIMA website. They give exams only in test centers, with rigid conditions, no beverages or candy, and strictly limited breaks.

Good advice, thanks! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't wait to find out what certification they will point us towards so I can bone up.

how often are these tests given? - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
thanks
When - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
AAPC local chapters give them a few times a year, depending on the demand. find your local chapters on their website. There is a list of upcoming exams there, too. Large city areas have a lot. We have at least 7 to 8 within driving distance of an hour or so.

AHIMA you can take anytime, but you should start with AAPC's CPC.
sweet thanks! - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Certification - future MM coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I asked what certification we would be working toward and was told on my offer call that certification will not be necessary. If we want to be certified we could check on that ourselves. Maybe I misunderstood. She mentioned learning the computer program that MModal has developed. We will have to see since this will be the first group trained.
OK, that just means they wont require it. - You can aim for the CPC
[ In Reply To ..]
No problem. You can aim for the CPC.

If they required it, i.e., made the 2-year job contingent on certification, they would have to drop you if you didn't pass the exam.

Since they are training you, though, they will know your capabilities. They don't need the exam to prove it.

I should point out that in this field, there is a belief that passing certification exams is very difficult, especially on the first try. This is especially true of the CCS, which comes with the assumption that nobody can pass it without 2 or more years of experience. The failure rate even then is very high.

Nonetheless, you should aim for the CPC as soon as it switches to ICD-10, which I think is January of 2015.
You are SERIOUSLY going to say no problem? - For reals?
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, and by the way -- the assumption that you can not pass the CCS examination without two years of experience is based on the fact that you aren't even allowed to take it without two years experience unless you have a prior certification or completion of an approved coding program. These M*Modal coders will have neither.
Hmm, can you quote exactly where it says - "approved coding program"?
[ In Reply To ..]
I would like to see where you got that, because I have never seen it.

The belief about the 2 years of experience does not stem from the testing requirements. Those requirements are only a year old. They were instituted in January of 2013 BECAUSE OF the belief that nobody could pass the test without 2 years of work experience.

A new graduate above just passed. I wonder what school she attended.
Unbelievable - See AHIMA eligability FAQ
[ In Reply To ..]
I have no interest in the "belief" of the testing requirements. I do, however, know what they are, and one of them is two years experience unless they have completed a coder training program which includes the following: A&P, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methadology, ICD and CPT coding. Are you familiar with AHIMA?
Common misconception - mo
[ In Reply To ..]
Your quote does not say "approved course." AHIMA does not approve coding courses.

The only courses AHIMA "approves" are RHIT/RHIA courses, which one would need to take in order to sit for the RHIT or RHIA exam. That is not optional.

That being said, most coding courses will only teach enough for the CCA. The only course I've found that teaches enough for the CCS (and has students pass) is Andrews, and they're not "approved" by AHIMA in any way.

It used to be that one could even self-study for the CCS test through AHIMA (much like AAPC has for the CPC); however, I don't know if AHIMA has updated their materials yet to be sufficient for the exam.
Semantics, you just like to argue - I am not arguing with you further
[ In Reply To ..]
No, they do not "approve" courses, but they absolutely can turn you down if you can not document that your coding program meets those above-stated requirements.
Well, two people have that pesky problem with - "semantics."
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe there is something to it.
Or maybe you both are too quick to pass judgment - Whatever
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
No - mo
[ In Reply To ..]
We just know what we're talking about.
Well - mo
[ In Reply To ..]
It's not semantics -- it's reality and what you are spouting is an untruth.

If you tell people they need an approved coding course, guess what? They will never find one because they DO NOT Exist.

I would prefer that potential coding students not waste their time because you think this is just about "semantics."

Also, I only made the one post -- you weren't arguing with me, just some one else who knows better.
I am not "spouting" anything - I did not say AHIMA recommended
[ In Reply To ..]
You have to APPLY to take the CCS. On that application, you have to document that you have completed a coding program that includes those subjects. Your application has to be APPROVED. THAT is what I meant by an approved coding program. It has to be approved by them before you can even sit for their test.
Corkscrew logic - mo
[ In Reply To ..]
Holy hat in a tree! And you tried to call me out on semantics?

There is a VAST difference between taking an approved program and having an application for a test approved.

I'm going to give you a short overview because I really can't tell if you're serious or just pulling my chain.

1) An approved course (whether it be coding, accounting, engineering, what have you) means that X institution has reviewed a course, it's materials, etc, compared them to their list of requirements and/or regulations for said course and, if it meets their criteria, will put an approval on the whole course.

2) Submitting an application to take a test that has a list of educational requirements to X institution and then having that institution run down the check list of courses one needs to have taken before taking the test just means that a person, if they meet the criteria to test, can take the test.

Having your test application approved does not mean your course was approved at the same time. They are two separate processes with different requirements and outcomes.

Again, approved coding courses do not exist.
You will get no argument from me - That there are no AHIMA-approved
[ In Reply To ..]
coding courses. However, they have to approve your application for the CCS, if you are qualifying through education, based on the criteria that the course you took, WHATEVER it was, meets those criteria.
Having your application approved - Means your course met
[ In Reply To ..]
Their requirements to take the test. AHIMA does not approve courses.
And I really do not care if you believe it or not - I misspoke
[ In Reply To ..]
It happens. I am not ignorant, like you try to make me out to be, and I am not deliberately trying to lead new people astray, into taking some coding course that does not even exist. I WAS trying to be helpful, which is a rare commodity on this board evidently.
Ah, yes! Those are the requirements I remember. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Notice it does not say " approved program." It says you have to complete a program containing those subjects.

The difference is significant because AHIMA does have a list of "approved" programs. You donot have to take one of them to qualify, and some of the approved progranms, including AHIMA's own online course, don't contain enough to qualify.
None of this is relevant to the current conversation - And I do not see your point
[ In Reply To ..]
I thought we were talking to the M*Modal employees about certification. You want to make this argument about semantics? Well, argue to yourself. I am concerned that the new coders get the information they need.
Then be sure you give them - correct information.
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
Well... I will be aiming for the CCA (I think) - another future MM coder.
[ In Reply To ..]
After my 2 years of "indentured servitude" I should then be eligible for the CCS, I believe!
Please aim for the CPC - The CCA is useless
[ In Reply To ..]
If you get your CPC, you can sit for the CCS in a year, or two years coding without any credential at all.
Really? How come? - I must have misunderstood.
[ In Reply To ..]
I was under the impression that anything "less" than CCS was basically more or less even stevens. I guess I thought the CCA, since it was AHIMA, would maybe have been the one to aim for.

So what is the difference practically speaking between the CPC and the CCA? I know CPC is AAPC and CCA is AHIMA; that is about it as far as those two.
No - The CPC is more outpatient
[ In Reply To ..]
The CCS is geared more towards inpatient. Evidently there is a feud that I was not aware of, so I will not say which is better . . it probably depends on what you plan to do, but employers will not hire the CCA. The CPC is a pretty versatile certification to have and should open doors for you.
CCA credential - newly certified coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I have both the CCA and the RHIT. I earned the CCA first but was unable to even get an interview. Once I earned my RHIT I had 3 job interviews for coding. The CCA though can be a stepping stone to other certifications. Both AHIMA and AAPC offer coding certifications.
Comparison - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
AAPC certs are not less than AHIMA. They are completely different.

AAPC focuses on outpatient physician services. The CPC is plain outpatient, or everything doctors do in offices, etc. The CPC-H is the physician part of procedures done in facilities, which also extends to facility coding, but only outpatient procedures. The CPC-H does not mean you can do inpatient coding.

AHIMA's CCS covers inpatient coding. The CCS-P covers the facility side of outpatient procedures done in facilities.

The CCA is kind of a learner's permit. The failure rate for AHIMA coding programs was so high they created the CCA to give students something. It has not really caught on with employers because it announces the wrong message, which is that you took coding, but didn't learn enough to pass the CCS, and you really, really want them to give you lots of on the job training and monitoring, because now you are ready to start learning how to code.

There are some situations where it is ok. WGU, for instance, has an RHIA program that requires students to at least pass the CCA. That is fine, because the RHIA will get them a job, no problem. The CCA just marks them as RHIAs who did, in fact, learn to code at least that well. (Many RHIAs can't code hardly at all.)

A coder, on the other hand, will not have the RHIA. They rely on credentials to get the job. You want a credential that demonstrates mastery level, not one that says you are really, really motivated to start learning. Mastery level are the CCS, CCS-P, CPC, and CPC-H.

AAPC credentials are not substandard. AHIMA doesn't even touch physician services, so there is nothing to compare.

There are several organizations that offer mostly unrecognized credentials. You do have to watch out for those.
Aaaah, I get it now! - Great explanation.
[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, funny, I actually got the CCA into my head because I saw that WGU offered that as part of its program. So I took that to mean it (CCA) maybe had more credibility.

I will have to wait and see what we will be coding at MM, inpatient or outpatient, before I decide what cert would make sense to take.

What about taking both CPC and CCS, would that be ridiculous? Would that make me look like a coding dabbler, jack of all trades, master of none?
Not ridiculous at all - mo
[ In Reply To ..]
Your best bet would be to get CPC and CCS. It will tell an employer that you can do anything -- outpatient/inpatient, whatever.

This is also one of those fields where more credentials can make you look better, instead of like a perpetual student. Just make sure you're getting them for an end purpose (match credentials to your career goals). CPC/CCS is a great place to start.
Dabbling? I hope not! - CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-H
[ In Reply To ..]
No, lots of people have several. It just means that you are proficient in all of them. I need every one of mine for the work I do.

Wow, you have got the bases covered, baby! - Very interesting, thanks.
[ In Reply To ..]
Aaaand... good night to all.
ICD-10 deadline - WXYZ
[ In Reply To ..]
The transition is October 2014, not January 2015.
ICD-10 transition for the CPC exam is January 2015. sm - Laurie G.
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, the transition to ICD-10 is October 2014. However, the CCS exam (inpatient) transitions to ICD-10 in April, and the CPC transitions in January. I believe that's what the previous poster was referring to.
That's what I figured all along - This is bad news for you
[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder what the coders who say that certification is mandatory for every coder will say now? Listen -- it sounds like they are going to basically just train you how to use their encoder. And that is fine, for them. But you need to know how to code via the book so that you can pass certification exams, so please, PLEASE practice that on your own. That way you actually can leave if you want to, and not be stuck in a situation you do not want to be. Promise me you will do that.
Well, I for one promise! The pay is upgraded upon certification. - another future MM coder
[ In Reply To ..]
So, I don't think many of the graduates will be wasting any time getting their certifications, lol! But thank you for your concern. I will definitely be doing extra studying on top of whatever they provide.

Like, it would be great if we all could access AHIMA's virtual 3M encoder, but since MM is clearly not a college, I doubt that will be the case. It remains to be see what resources we will be provided with, though. Will know more tomorrow...
Don't worry about the encoder - Seriously study the book
[ In Reply To ..]
What happens is, people become very encoder dependent and it becomes more difficult for them to code from the book as time goes on. So study the book. Please. I implore you. I'm being serious.
OK, I will - I promise! - Thanks!
[ In Reply To ..]
:)
No, really, there is no benefit to using 3M encoder. - Silly
[ In Reply To ..]
You need to learn to code from the books because cert exams use the books.

Coders who use encoders have trouble switching back to books for the exams. That is one of the fallacies behind the 2 years of experience thing.

If you can code from the books, you can adapt to an encoder insde of a half hour.

Haha - ok, yes that was silly. - Do not know what I was thinking.
[ In Reply To ..]
I would RATHER learn from a book anyways. With the book in hand, you can actually tangibly see how the system is laid out.

I guess I thought knowing how to use the 3M encoder might help in terms of future employability, since we will be using Fluency for Coding software. But it is jumping the gun to start thinking about that now. I haven't even started training, lol.
I understand that - However...
[ In Reply To ..]
You will have experience with one, and if you have good certifications, that should do the trick.
3M is not the only encoder and - Not the Holy Grail
[ In Reply To ..]
There are others. The main competitor is QuadraMed.

It is not "bad news" at all! - Geesh!
[ In Reply To ..]
Please stop trying to discredit these students and their program.

If they are not getting any sort of education - except encoder training
[ In Reply To ..]
That is bad news. It is extremely difficult to learn coding on your own.
You do not know what they will - or will not get!
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe folks ought to avoid speculating on this, since they don't know anything about it.
if thats true then what is the point of the "upon certification" - section of the offer letter?
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe you aren't REQUIRED but you get a pay bump for having one. Personally i'm going for it to make top dollar. Why wouldn't you?
We should get clarification - on what is meant
[ In Reply To ..]
by not necessary. For the training? If you wanted to move up after you finished their training I am sure they would require certification at that point.

Similar Messages:

Hello Coders!
Dec 21, 2009

Where are you all?  Enjoying your work?  ...

The Best Coders
Jan 31, 2010

I would love to get the point of view of others on this topic. I've been watching coders for years, our graduates and others. I've found from my own experience that the best coders are people who enjoy more structure than one might find in medical transcription, for example. People who enjoy accounting, bankers, medical office managers, many nurses, and sometimes burned-out MTs. If you have 10 medical transcriptionists transcribe a report, you may have that many different versions, ea ...

For VA Coders
Jan 18, 2012

requirements say that education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  If we did not attend an accredited school, can we still apply?  It says applicants must only report attendance or degrees from such.  So, don't bother reporting if you didn't attend an accredited school?  How's that work? ...

Coders-is There A Way
Jan 22, 2012

to check out coding and what it is all about before going through a course. I am interested in doing coding but am unsure if it is right for me. Thank you for your thoughts and input. ...

Hey Coders!
Aug 21, 2013

Two, actually, if that's alright... 1. What do you love most about your job? 2. If you weren't a coder, what would you be? There is no real reason behind my questions -- no ulterior motive as it were -- just plain ole curiosity. ...

What I Want To Know For All You New Coders,
Mar 22, 2014

You better be learning the ICD-10.  It starts in October.  Hopefully you are not just learning ICD-9, because that will be all gone soon.  I would ask about the ICD-10, if you are not learning the new up and coming codes, it sounds like this company will use you and then throw you away.  ...

Coders
Aug 20, 2014

How did the coding program work out for those of you "aces" that got in?  I would love to get into coding..I am really getting to where I hate transcription and seriously considering heading for the door..in fact I have applications and resumes circulating and am really hoping for a change. ...

ANY Suggestions??
Oct 18, 2009

"Rhinoscopy reveals mucoid discharge present in the rexny of the mashnoid." Yea..."rexny of the mash-noid".... ...

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
Jul 13, 2010

Hello everyone.  I am another one of those lower Alabama MT's.  I really need some pointers on what to do here.  When I started transcribing a few years back, my mentor told me once I got the grip, that I needed to consider getting my own accounts and eliminate the middle man and I would do so much better.  Well.....easier said that done!! I am the sole provider for my family.  I have three kids.  I find myself raking and scraping every two weeks to make ends ...

Any Suggestions On What To Do With The 6.1
Sep 13, 2010

I used to FOR YEARS and years, just hit shift H and typed in cur and it spelled </CURRENT MEDICATIONS/>  Now with this 6.1 upgrade, it spells out </CURRENT ALLERGIES/> and I am messing up big time with reports.  THIS IS ASR WORK AND YOU ARE FLYING QUICKLY THROUGH THE REPORT.  On a lot of ASR reports, I have to add the headings in.  I am so used to hitting CUR and expecting CURRENT MEDICATIONS which I have done for many years and quite frankly, I am not looking a ...

Some Suggestions.
Feb 28, 2011

You all may already know this, but I am passing it along because I just found out.  I kept running out of work on the weekend and on the backlog I could see that there were jobs in the red that I normally work on for backup but they were not flowing to me.  I called the RTL hotline and spoke to a lady there.  I told her the deal and she said that she didn't show me as being scheduled to work that day so they did not add me to that pool.  Evidently on helper pools or ...

Need To Get Out Of MT - Suggestions?
Apr 30, 2011

After having my pay cut by half over the past 9 months, I realize that I need to get out of MT and in a bad way.  I wish I had never gone to school for this. I just can no longer stand for having pay cut after pay cut every year with no end in sight.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on other jobs that I could do from home. I have a bachelor's degree in Psychology along with my CMT.  I have young kids with medical problems, so I need to be able to be h ...

I Need Suggestions Please
Jul 13, 2011

I stopped doing transcription last year around this time and worked for Medquist.  Now I'm trying to get back to work and have several tests to take.  My problem is that I never had to worry about a medical spellcheck with Medquist and don't have one of my own on my computer and can't afford to buy one just now.  On one test, the e-mail I received from the recruiter specified that the test doesn't have a medical spell check, so I could do the document in Word, ...

Any Suggestions?
Jul 25, 2012

I can't make money with VR and I know there has to be a way for me to work faster or something.  I type so much faster than I do editing.  Today I've worked 11 hours and have made $28, that's only 700 lines.  I normally could have typed at least 2000 lines and made my 9 cpl per day if I worked that long.  I'm going broke.  Bills aren't getting paid, and we all know there just aren't jobs out there right now, especially in your 50's.&nbs ...

Suggestions
Jul 28, 2013

I have a few suggestions for MModal.  Instead of worrying about how long the employee's fingers are off the keyboard, why don't you fix things with the system that have been wrong for months?  No, much more enjoyable for you to send out your little stats!  Oh and thanks for giving me that new account with the doctors that like to split their reports and give you no information, nor their name and they enter generic dictator!  Thanks for fixing that in a timely manne ...

What's In A Name? Suggestions?
Aug 08, 2013

Hi all! I'm an IC working for some private clinics. When I went to the bank to set up an account I did a XXX DBA XXX. Well the name I picked is okay but I've come up with what I think is a better name (one word versus XXX Medical Transcription).   What do you all think about business name changing? I've been in business for a while but it's not like I'm Wal-Mart or anything that my name is branded. Suggestion??? :)   ...

Any Suggestions
Jan 23, 2014

I will be taking a written test later this afternoon, of which answers are based on BOS3.  I do not have one :-(.  I purchased BOS2 when it was first published, but have never had to use it, so I did not purchase BOS3 when it was published, thinking it would be a waste of money for me as BOS2 was.  Is there that much difference between the two?  Do, You think I can find the answers within BOS2 if need be?  I glanced over it, and I know most of it, but it would be nice to ...

Help Any Suggestions!!
Sep 22, 2014

This is what I heard Hospital course: Following admission 22 French Foley catheters pass bladder spiral irrigated of numerous clots. ...

PCs Are Looking For Suggestions
Jan 26, 2015

They want our suggestions on what would make Fluency better.  Any ideas? ...

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!
Apr 26, 2015

First the good news!   I recently landed what I think will be a great job for me, working for a one-woman service doing only one specialty, and only 2 physicians.   The bad news....I was planning to move to rural Mississippi, moving in with my daughter and her family and sharing her very nice big house.   My problem is there is no DSL service in the area for internet.  Only satelllite.   I know I see on almost all job ads that the satellite just doesn't work. I kn ...

Salary For Coders
Feb 02, 2010

What is the average hourly pay for coders?  How would you say the income compares with medical transcription.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 14+ years, and looking into coding.  I actually used to do some light coding and billing years ago, but it was for a OB/GYN practice back in the day. ...

Some Questions For Those Who Are Already Coders:
Aug 31, 2010

I spent the better part of today looking at jobs other than MT.  Although very few hospitals had openings for MTs (they probably don't even have an MT Dept. anymore), there were coder jobs at almost every facility.  None of the ads I looked at gave a wage.  What does an experienced (5+ years) coder usually make?  Are you paid on production, or by the hour?  Is coding done on a computer?  What sort of software is used, and in your own experience, is it better t ...

How Are Coders Paid?
Jul 15, 2011

I am going to apply for the coding program at my local community college.  I have just finished the required prerequisite courses.  I have been a transcriptionist for 30+ years and am having to start over at 60.  Could you please tell me if coders are paid by the hour or are they paid piece work?  I'm also wonder if you think there will be jobs to be had after going through school.  Thanks! ...

Where Do Most Of You Work As Coders?
Oct 20, 2011

Do most of you work in hospitals and clinics or at home? ...

Is There Is A Job Board For Coders?
Oct 27, 2011

Where do coders go to look for remote and/or in-house jobs? Thanks ...

Question For Coders ...
Dec 15, 2011

Just visiting your board to ask a question out of ignorance. I'm an MT working for a hospital, doing straight transcription. There's been a growing trend for the hospitalists to dictate absolutely HUGE, long H&Ps/discharges ... including every stinkin' lab test and diagnostic procedure the patient has had for the last decade, it seems. Most of the reports are walls o' text, as these docs go on and on and bleepin' ON for at least four to five pages of transcribed dic ...

Question For MTs-to-Coders
Jan 17, 2012

Hi all you MTs-to-Coders!  I am curious to know why you left MT for coding? Burnout? Better suited to your personality? Better pay? Also, in conjuction to that, what kind of MT eduction did you have? Learn on the job? School? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to go into MT or coding--I'm leaning toward MT through Andrews right now (for numerous reasons), but am looking for a perspective from the other end of the tunnel, so to speak. Thanks! ...

Inpatient Coders
Mar 28, 2013

Deal with the RACs? Is your accuracy rate based on how many they say are in error?  How about the stress related to that?  ...

Question For Coders...
May 20, 2013

I'm currently an MT for many years, in the process of enrolling to take a coding program at a community college (waitlisted at the moment).  I've done much research before making this decision, but have never spoken to someone who actually works in coding.  I have some general questions regarding what you think of the profession -- do you like your job? If so, what is it that you like? Do you find it at all monotonous or is there some variety in what you do? I wonder if it ma ...

Outsourcing Coders
May 24, 2013

With all of this outsourcing of MT/Editors, what does the future look like for medical coders?  I have heard that Nuance has developed software to "assist" the coder.  My concern is that it is going to REPLACE the coder.  Any thoughts?  ...