A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding at home versus in-house/pay difference - mt to coder

Posted: Jan 18, 2015

Have just made the decision to go back to school (yet again) to get out of this hell hole of MT, even though I have been in QA for a few years. I plan on going to Andrews and testing for and getting as many credentials as I can that Andrews prepares you for right off the bat.

I am so used to working from home and really enjoy it.  When starting out, is a national, working from home, the best place to gain experience?  I figure they would be more likely to hire "newbies"?  If so, what is starting wage like?

Do many hospitals now have at-home coders and if so, what is the average pay starting out?

Or is the jump in pay totally worth putting on some real clothes and makeup and spending a little gas $$ for the in-house job?

Sorry if this has been asked a zillion times.  I am just starting my journey.

Thanks!

the company I work for pays $16/h with no certification - hope that helps

[ In Reply To ..]
x

sorry meant to say work from home - hope that helps

[ In Reply To ..]
I work from home, am just starting out. This is base pay plus bonuses for accuracy and speed. I think it is fair since I need a lot of guidance.

Do you work for a national company or a hospital? - mt to coder

[ In Reply To ..]
if a national, would you be willing to state which one?

are you required to work a weekend day and do you get holidays off?
Yes it is a nation. We are not allowed to work weekends and - holidays
[ In Reply To ..]
it is a well known company on here that has their own board ;)
National I mean. - too early in the morning! sorry
[ In Reply To ..]
x

How this usually works - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
The scenarios you describe are the opposite of what occurs in coding. It is somewhat difficult to get a job doing contract coding unless you have experience and credentials. Most hospitals are going to require AHIMA-credentialed coders with the RHIA, RHIT, and/or CCS. You will find companies that require 5+ years of experience. Many of them send you to work at the facility, and you are not going to be able to do that without experience.

A few companies are hiring inexperienced coders and M*Modal is training some themselves, but that is due to the difficulty in finding coders. There is a shortage and I think few credentialed individuals would be willing to work for 16 an hour.

Large facilities are often cramped for space, so they are letting coders work from home more and more. They are unlikely to hire you into positions that could be done remotely until you have experience, and they will require time working in-house before you can go home.

Please see the AAPC and AHIMA salary surveys for income information. They have been summarized here several times and links have been posted, or you can use Google to find them.

Similar Messages:

RE: In-house Versus At Home
Aug 01, 2011

I am excited to say that I have a upcoming job interview to work in-house in behavorial health. I am not real pleased to work in-house and will not get the opportunity to work from home which makes me sad. That said, I am looking forward to steady, stable, income along with health insurance, benefits, and being paid per hour. Guess, I just got tired of not being paid on time, working 7 days a week, etc.  My last check was $200.00/2 weeks which makes me sick because how are you supposed ...

Advice On In-House Versus Work-At-Home MT
Jul 20, 2010

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me which is the best way to go.  I've been working as an IC MT at home for almost 2 years now, but I may have an opportunity to work in-house at a local orthopedic clinic.  Which is the best way to go?  Do you come out better "pay wise" working at home or working in-house with bennies?  Any advice from those of you with experience in this setting will be very appreciated.    Tx in advance!  :) ...

Instant Text V Versus 7, Any Difference?
May 10, 2012

I have to switch to Instant Text 7 from my old Pro V and I am wondering if there is any big difference?  Can I import my old glossary into the newer version or not?  Also, my new job uses Shorthand and just wondered if I would be able to import my glossary into that or not.  I am doubting it but I don't know much so thought it was worth asking.  TIA. ...

Urine Analysis Versus Urinalysis--is There Any Difference?
Dec 30, 2009

I think this doctor might be saying "urine analysis" as there seems to be a slight pause between the two words.  I've always gone with "urinalysis," so I'm wondering if there is any significant difference between the two terms.  Anybody know? ...

Coding :: Difference In The CCA, CPC, CCS As Far As Marketability?
May 05, 2014

Can someone explain the difference in the CCA, CPC, CCS as far as marketability? Is there one that employers look for or favor over an AHIMA certification versus an AAPC certification? I just started a job as a coder 5 months ago working clinic and am looking to advance my career in coding. Thanks  ...

Home Versus Hospital
May 05, 2013

I was recently offered a job transcribing/editing at a local hospital.  I have a 7-month old baby, and working from home was my dream as it would allow me to afford to be a stay at home mom.  Now I feel like somewhat of a caged bird, and am thinking that working at the hospital may be good for me (just prn, about 26 hours/week).  However, I have invested so much tine and energy in this job, and it is hard for me to admit that it is not all I dreamed it would be.   The appeal ...

Coding At Home
Dec 31, 2011

I have been an MT for the past 17 years; I have loved the job but this profession is really going down the tubes as far as pay and keeping up with the cost of living.  I'm interested in coding and specifically Andrews school but I LOVE the flexibility of MT and working from home.  What are the work-at-home options for coders?  From what I have read here, the CCS is important.  Any other helpful info would be appreciated.  ...

At Home Coding
Mar 29, 2014

Just wondering about the average pay for at home coders. Also, are part-time coding jobs available? What is the speed requirement? Thanks for any info. ...

Coding -- Only On Premises Or Also At Home?
Dec 10, 2010

I am an MT (15 years) but lost my job 8 months ago. I am looking into other possible jobs in the medical field. Can anyone suggest good schools for learning coding? Also how long would a course typically run and approximately how much would it cost for school? Would my MT experience benefit me? My last question is, once you have completed your education, do you run into problems then finding a job because you lack "work" experience and are these jobs typically done on the premises or can you wor ...

Home Coding Medical Insurance?
Jan 28, 2010

Hi Cj, Does your company offer health insurance for its employees that work from home?  Also, I assume remote coders can live anywhere or do they need to be in the state the company is in?  Thanks.         ...

Med Coding Home Based Business
Jul 14, 2011

Thinking about doing med coding as IC from home.  Can any help me understand what system I need to connect with the physicians pc?  I know physician gives me pass word and I sign Business Agreement, but one company says the program also has to be installed into the physicians pc and that doesn't seem right.  Any help out there? ...

AA In Coding Versus No AA?
Nov 03, 2010

I'm really starting to get frustrated with the whole researching of coding schools.  I've been looking on-and-off for almost a year and still haven't decided.  I just spend the whole morning at a school where I would get my AA degree upon completion in coding with job placement assistance, etc but I will be in debt to the tune of $10-15K at the end.  Whereas I've looked into Andrews, CareerStep and also LC Coding where I would graduate ready to take the test to ...

Possible To Finish Coding Course, Then Start Working At Home?
Jul 03, 2010

Is it possible to finish a coding course and then start working from home? I don't want to work in house.   ...

Medical Coding - How To Search For Jobs At Home
Jul 21, 2010

Hello, I am a MT and wanted to also do coding, could you please tell me how to search for jobs at home once I am done with school ??  Does anybody have a board for coder jobs thanks so much ...

Work From Home Medical Coding Or Editing
Dec 29, 2012

Coding Versus Billing
Apr 14, 2010

Can anyone explain the difference between coding and billing?  Do coding credentials apply to billing too? ...

Medical Transcription Versus Coding/billing
Jan 18, 2010

Does anyone have an idea which career might pay best, medical transcription or medical billing/coding? I am curious about which pays best. ...

Health Information Technology Program Versus Just CODING
May 19, 2010

Does a Health Information Technology Degree Program that also includes ICD-9 coding, etc., put you in a better career position than just learning Coding alone? ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

In-house Job
Oct 14, 2010

I applied for an in-house transcription job in August back at my old pre-MQ hospital.  They decided the work load was too light (they had lost Radiology) and we not going to fill it at that time.  Another position has been vacated and I got a call from a friend that they are definitely filling it this time.  There were only 2 qualified applicants in August.  I am hoping the other person found something great already.  I have my fingers crossed, am nervous, and need ...

In-house Pay?
Nov 09, 2011

I really have no idea if this is fair compensation or not, but I am looking at a job that is an in-house MT job, a 45-minute one-way commute, with full benefits, and the pay is 0.075 cpl.  The job will not come home, and the pay will only increase every year. Any opinions? ...

Does VR Get Better If Kept In-house?
May 16, 2012

Have any of your hospitals purchased a Nuance VR product that they've used for their in-house transcriptionists?  If so, does the VR quality get better and better since you have a limited number of MTs doing the editing?   It's not my hospital but one I know of that's starting with this new product, so I'm not sure of the exact product name.  I've worked for a huge MTSO where the VR never, ever improved in the 9 months I used it; but with soooo many MTs m ...

IN-HOUSE RATE
Mar 25, 2010

Have not worked in-house in over 10 years.  What is the ongoing rate for in-house transcriptionist in California. ...

In-house Postings
Aug 06, 2010

I wonder why companies post on internet job sites for in-house employees?  Why don't they just advertise locally in their community paper, etc. ...

Transcription House
Aug 18, 2010

Does anyone know good or bad about Transcription House ? ...

In-house Job Not So Secure
Aug 23, 2010

My job could be in jeopardy because we might be merging with another clinic, and there are no other local in-house MT openings. I've been working in a specialty clinic (in-house) the past 5-1/2 years. Even though I have 5 years of acute care/radiology experience and 1 year of multi-specialty clinic, and even though I took the M-TEC course and graduated with 98% about 3 years ago, it doesn't matter because I don't have recent acute care experience. Okay, I can unders ...

In-house Clinic Pay
Nov 16, 2010

I have an interview with a local eye clinic (there are six surgeons).  Just wondering what kind of salary to expect to be offered or ask for (!), having been paid as a remote MT/VR Editor by production for many years and haven't a clue about salaries in clinics any more.  It is not as an IC but as member of their staff, permanent, full-time, 40 hours a week. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA.   ...

What Do In-house MTs Make?
Sep 09, 2011

Hi!  I was wondering if anyone knew what the going rate for a MT is in house (central KY)?  Do they get paid btl or hourly?     ...

House Of The Kidney?
Dec 05, 2011

This is a kidney transplant report, and the doc says: "A 6 x 12 double-J stent was placed within the ureter up into the (s/)l house of the kidney."  I looked up this term, but I can't find it with Google.  Any suggestions? Thanks! :) ...

Got An In-house Interview!
Jan 05, 2013

It's for third shift, which doesn't excite me, but from the second Nuance gave me a Christmas 25% pay cut I've been scouring jobs of all shapes and sizes. Imagine my surprise when I found an in-house job advertised looking for a CMT only. I really hope I get it so I can give Nuance the finger, which they will probably be glad about so they can give what little work I have left to India. I've been through several mergers and it's been relatively painless until the latest ...