A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How much typing required in coding? - Bernadette

Posted: Aug 14, 2013

How much typing is required for most coding jobs? I'm an MT with tendinitis and am wondering if I should try coding or if that would also be too hard on my hands. I would think it would be a lot less keystrokes. Thanks for your advice.

Much less keyboarding - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding uses a keyboard, but requires far less typing than MT. It is also an intermittent use of the keyboard, not constant production typing.

I know many coders who hunt and peck. That should give you an idea of how much less intense the keyboarding is.

Thanks - Bernadette

[ In Reply To ..]
much!

Similar Messages:

WR Typing And Coding
Apr 30, 2010

Any info on them? Supposed to be out of AL but when I google them, nothing comes up.  ...

CMT Required Now?
Sep 19, 2011

So, if one is looking for a different MTSO employer, what's the competition like?  Is CMT pretty much a given now?  I mean, do I have to find the funds to pay for that and get the title just to be part of the competition?  NEED ADVISE PLEASE ...

I Wonder Why CCM's Are Not Required To Be MTs??
Jul 23, 2012

Very, very difficulty to listen to her prattle on about the importance of audits and quality when she could not begin to do what I do.  I can take it from the corporate suits who run this company because after all, they are NOT in the business of transcription, they are in the business of technology and we MTs are only in their ways and a very hard to swallow means to an end or at least to India..but I would hope that the person who DIRECTLY supervises me and MY work should know how to perf ...

No Testing Required
Aug 05, 2010

Does anyone know of any companies that don't require testing to be hired? ...

Job Required Purchases
Aug 28, 2010

I need to buy a medical spell checker and the Quick Look Drug Book.  I'm planning to buy them both from Stedman's.    Does anyone know of a better place to buy the items. Also, should I get the CD Rom, or am I okay with the downloads?   Thanks for any help. ...

Certification Required?
Jan 04, 2011

Do I have to be certified to do medical transcription? Do companies hire without it? ...

Ok, Please Help Me Understand The Required EMR
Jul 14, 2011

I've started trying to understand it.  I see lots of software programs out there that supposedly handle this.  But if there are multiple programs, how does all the various work put into these programs end up in ONE (!?) place where a persons medical record can be accessed by any medical professional?  Or is my understanding already flawed?  Will those MDs, or whoever, that choose to continue the narrative dictation (vs point and click or fill in the blanks) can they con ...

Are You Required To Take Full 8 Hrs PTO For A Day Off?
Jun 08, 2012

s ...

Required Classes
Mar 28, 2013

I am furious. Now, we are required to take classes on our own time without being reimbursed. What nerve. ...

Still Struggling With Required LPH. Sm
Dec 09, 2013

Have been on E5 for a year and unable maintain 186 lph. This is the first time in my 20+ years as an MT that it has been so hard to reach the required lines. Today I forced myself to sit in the chair and moved only to go to the bathroom a couple times, and a 1-minute stretch every hour (timed). Still only managed about 170 lph. The audio is pretty bad on my accounts, but still never had a problem with lines with poor audio at prior jobs. I do tend to double-listen now when there is a hitch in th ...

Required LPH Limits
Apr 28, 2014

Just curious....What are you required LPH for your company in order to maintain benefits?  Full time only please.  Thanks. ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Required 4 Weekend Hours?
Mar 09, 2010

I work for the NorthEast section of Medquist and my supervisor wanted to verify all of our hours before we started getting locked-out of working hours other than our scheduled hours. When I emailed my hours to my supervisor, I stated that I wanted to drop my 3 hours I had previously been scheduled on Sunday night since I was having a hard time keeping those hours. Mind you, I already work 9:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. Monday through Friday and 8:30 to 1:00 p.m. on Wednesday. She then wr ...

FYI - Extra Research Now Required
Mar 16, 2010

For all that do not want to do the extra research to fill in the blanks cuz it takes too much time, too much effort, losing money trying to get it all done to help your qa submission rate I'd like to welcome you to what we as QA/MME have been doing for 3 cpl ....all of that research and more.  Now maybe some MTs (not all) will stop throwing QA under the bus and realize what we've had to do all this time for 3 cpl.  Thank you and have a nice day. ...

No Required Line Count
Mar 11, 2011

I would like to know if there are any companies out there that do not require a line count per day or week.   I have been away from transcription for a long time, almost five years,  and I don't know if I could handle having to worry about that.  I looked in the Archives, but the info in there is too overwhelming and confusing.    Any suggestions?  Thank you.  ...

Med. Transcriptionists Required To Get Flu Shots?
Oct 01, 2011

HI all, I could've sworn I read this somewhere that medical transcriptionists - even the REMOTE ones WORKING AT HOME ! - are REQUIRED by some employers to get annual flu shots. Is this true?? Does anyone have any experience with this? I found it quite odd, to say the least. Also, does anyone know if this is true of med transcriptionists that work IN A HOSPITAL - this I know, that some hospitals these days are requiring vaccinations of all workers. Ready and waiting to read your input :&nb ...

Degree Required To Transcribe?
Jan 23, 2012

Does anyone else here find it "interesting" that a company would require an Associates' or higher degree for their medical transcriptionists? ...

M Modal, Testing Required? Sm
Mar 12, 2012

And how long is their hiring process approximately? days, weeks, months?  What is the most negative thing you can say about this company? the most positive?  I'm looking for part time as an IC.  TIA. ...

Will Someone Please Tell Me The Required Lines Per Pay Period?!!
May 17, 2012

I have asked my TL 3 times.  What are the required lines per pay period?  Combo of ST and VR?   Thank you. ...

Is This Required Lines Of 186/hour New?
Jul 22, 2012

I've been MIA for 2 weeks but may have to return to work tomorrow....sigh.   I was checking emails and saw the line requirement.  ...

Working For MTSOs, Are WE Required
Oct 13, 2012

. ...

Great. Sitting Here With NJA Already, Yet They Required Most Of Us
Dec 24, 2012

in my group to work Christmas.  Why do they ruin our Christmases when they know there's no work?!  Bunch of grinches.... ...

What Are The Minimum Required Computer
Sep 16, 2013

specs for most companies that require you to have your own computer. Got laid off from MM, who provided computers (the ONLY good thing about them!)....but now as I am looking I am finding most places don't do this. Can you use a laptop if you have the required specs? My laptop has 4GB "sdram" and 500 GB hard drive. It has windows 8. I guess I'd have to buy an expander. Will these specs be okay? Thanks in advance! ...

Required Production For QCE's. Being Threatened With
Jun 25, 2014

the requirement, but work has dried up over the past 1-2 months. Is anyone else experiencing this? They also don't take into consideration the assigned required email and STAT coverage we have to do, which is in addition to our required production. Are other QCE's finding it hard to meet production? How do you handle it when there is not enough work? ...

Company-required Antivirus...
Nov 09, 2014

has crashed my personal laptop 3 times, at a cost of $220 to me so far for repair, and makes it so slow that I cannot use it.  I also cannot use it for anything personal AT ALL.  I worked full-time with no problem, including the day of their download, until this antivirus was loaded.  I am able to work with this at a slower pace so far but am unable to otherwise use a very expensive laptop that I purchased myself.  Opinion?  We are told to use it or quit.  ...

Is Direct Deposit Required?
Jan 21, 2015

Is direct deposit required, or are paper checks an option to get paid? ...

Is This Something An IC Is Required To Tolerate? Need Honest Input! Please Help...sm
Dec 01, 2009

I was recently hired as an IC by a small MTSO.  I was told the day I was hired that I would be given work in the morning and it would be my job to transcribe it and print it out for the courier to pick it up the following day at 9:00 a.m. After papers were signed, equipment and supplies were purchased, and I was all set to go, I was informed by the owner that she wanted all of my work emailed to her as an attachment absolutely  "NO LATER THAN 5:00 p.m."  I tried this fo ...

Question For SR Users - How Much Keyboarding Is Required?
Jan 29, 2010

I hope this isn't a silly question. I'm going to ask our graduates this question too, but I want to get a wide range of answers and viewpoints on this. For those of you who are using SR, how much keyboarding is required? In other words, could a person who types 30-40 wpm use it productively? ...

K&R Consulting Required Line Count
Jan 02, 2012

For any MTs that work for K&R, is it possible to get the required line count in 8 hours since VBC only?  I have heard they are nice to work for.   ...

Required To Do At Least 15 Minutes Of Audio Per Hour
May 17, 2012

I recently started with a new company where I am paid per minute. I am required to do at least 15 minutes of audio per hour while in training and then at least 20 minutes of audio per hour after that point as the minimum requirements. The account that I am on has dictations that are mostly 1 minute or less, fast talkers and pulling in templates. Do you think that these minimums are attainable? I know that I can do that many audio minutes on average, but I'm not used to being paid by the aud ...