A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is Andrews the ONLY school recommended?? - teadrinker

Posted: May 26, 2012

I've read so much on this forum trying to get some good information on which school to go with, and all I can find is Andrews, Andrews, Andrews!  How can it be the only school that anybody seems willing to recommend?  Is the forum just overrun with Andrews students or is it truly the only school that anyone knows of that prepares you for the CCS exam upon graduation?  How can that be?  And believe me, I'm not criticizing the school or anyone for their opinion, I just find it hard to believe that no other school compares. 

It does appear to be the only school that prepares or the - CCS

[ In Reply To ..]
How can that be?

The fact that a school says it teaches "coding" does not mean they teach the SAME coding. That will be difficult to understand if you are not a coder. Even if you are a coder, you still might have difficulty with it unless you have a clear understanding of the difference between inpatient and outpatient coding. They are very different.

The CCS exam covers inpatient coding at mastery level. Few programs have been successful in teaching that. Most do not include it at all. Others teach only academic, generic or one-size-fits-all overview coding, expecting students to learn the rest of it on the job.

AAPC-style courses teach only outpatient coding. They do not address inpatient coding at all. They prepare students for AAPC exams, all of which are outpatient.

Tech and career colleges usually teach a kind of low-level medical front office billing with a general intro to office coding. Those programs often do not even prepare students for the CPC and never for the CCS.

Community college programs may teach only outpatient coding, or they may teach generic "coding," which is a hodgepodge overview of both that is tested on the CCA exam. They usually do not teach enough to pass the CCS. They will state that students may take the CCA on completion.

Andrews teaches both inpatient and outpatient coding and does so separately. Their students take both the CPC and CCS exams, skipping right over the CCA.

Absolutely not, I recommend M-TEC... - SH

[ In Reply To ..]
EDIT: Sorry, never mind! Didn't realize this was for coding/billing! /:

M-TEC does not teach coding. - Above post was an error.

[ In Reply To ..]
You edited your post to change the content, but you left the subject line the way it was -- leaving a frankly destructive statement in public view. That statement will affect readers' attitudes whether or not they see your explanation about it being an error.

You seem to be a student and may wish to support them, but this is not the way to do so.

M-TEC and Andrews have always had a congenial relationship. They have never engaged in destructive competition or subliminal attitude manipulation. To my knowledge, they have never encouraged that kind of behavior in their students. Because of that, I was rather shocked to see your post. It is not in keeping with the professional expectations either school holds.

If you recommend M-TEC, that is another good reason to edit the subject line. It is bad advertising for them. What are they teaching now if their students can read all the way through something that clearly references two different professional organizations and several different credentials in coding, identifies two different kinds of coding, does so on a coding board, and still have no idea that it is talking about . . . coding?

The subject ine of your post discredits M-TEC, not Andrews. You might want to edit it to say something like "Error."

AHIMA and AAPC - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
AHIMA and AAPC also offer good programs, as does Career Step. If you do your work and study, you'll be prepared to sit for the exams regardless of the program. Some people even do independent study or on the job training and pass the exams. Andrews is heavily represented in this forum and naturally their students recommend it.

Are you speaking from experience and industry knowledge? - I am.

[ In Reply To ..]
Your opinion is not based on fact. You seem to think that all of these programs teach the same thing, which is exactly what was warned against.

Again, the expectation is that anyone teaching coding is teaching the same thing. But, they are NOT teaching th same thing. They don't even claim to do so.

There are two differences. One is the TYPE of coding being taught . . . outpatient or inpatient. These are very different. If you, yourself, do not understand the difference, you are not qualified to offer an opinion on this.

The other is the level to which the course teaches. If you do not know what is tested by the exams, and how that relates to what a course teaches, you are not qualified to offer opinions on it.

Yes, absolutely, it is possible to self-study and pass the exams. It is not likely, though, unless you have an IQ of 160 and someone providing guidance on what to study.

Yes, AAPC courses are great, but they only teach outpatient coding. If that is what you need, so much the better, but if you do not already have a job in coding, you need to look at all the new CPCs on the AAPC boards who cannot find a job.
Do you need this credential? Yes, but you need a CCS, too.

Yes, AHIMA's course is great, but they tell you right up front that they have NO instructor support whatsoever and that you will be qualified for only the CCA exam when you finish. And it is still a pricey option. I do not know anyone who has finished it, although there must be some grads smewhere.

Yes, AHIMA college programs are great, but they can take a year of prerequisites and 2 to 3 years to complete a 9-month course or far longer if all they have is an RHIT program. They can be very expensive, have completion rates of less than 25%, and more than half of those who complete will never pass the RHIT exam, much less the CCS. They do not claim to prepare students for more than the CCA, either. The failure rate on that is about 40 to 50%.

As for the other school and those like it, well, of course you can do extra, outside work on your own, buy outside books and materials, hire tutors, plan on learning on the job, and just know deep in your heart that YOU will SUCCEED where no one else has because you really, really deserve it. It is WORTH it to do all that extra work because you can save a couple hundred on tuition. It is WORTH the extra work to teach yourself without instructors because instructors might correct you or explain things and that would make you feel like you were in high school again and you would HATE that. You don't CARE that they only teach to the CCA because you know that YOU will be the exception who passes the CCS and you will have the satisfaction of showing everyone just how wrong they were. And you absolutely do not believe the people who tell you otherwise because the rah! rah! stuff and your complete lack of financial smarts blinds you.

If any of that appeals to you, then that is a great choice for you. I would not choose that over a school that simply teaches to both the CCS and CPC, requires no outside work or on the job experience, provides everything needed, has certified instructors, and has decades of excellent reputation, does not leave anyone with loan debt, and provides lifetime support for grads.

My take (not yet a student, just researching) - MTLC

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been looking at boards and forums and school curriculums for over a year. What has sold me that when I do take a coding course it will be Andrews is because of the style of teaching. They don't just provide knowledge but teach the process. For instance, they make a student write down the steps they went through to find an answer, then they can correct any flawed reasoning. I LOVE that! I wish my algebra teacher had done that in high school (sigh), but I digress.

I have been following the AAPC forum for a long time and I am amazed at the number of people who have barely passed their CPC, can't formulate coherent thoughts and wonder why they didn't get a job.

I want the confidence when I finish schooling that I actually know how to code, not just pass tests. I think Andrews does that.

As an aside, I used to do recruiting part time years ago for an MT company. For a while we refused to test any new graduates of MT courses. We started to notice, however, that graduates of Andrews school for MT were getting jobs as soon as they finished, so we decided to put the word out we would test them. It was amazing how well prepared they were to do acute care work!

With that experience in mind, and no other courses that I have seen that even come close to what Andrews provides, I highly recommend them just as an observer. And I have no stake in it - at least not yet!

Similar Messages:

Andrews School Recommended
Nov 09, 2010

Does anyone know or can recommend the Andrews School? The cost seems to be high for the course. ...

Andrews School -- Job
Sep 19, 2012

I am an MT who was laid off from my job and I am seriously considering coding school.  So far, I am leaning towards Andrews, they sound the best.  My question is, will I be able to find a job that pays well afterwards?  I have looked at a few job postings online in my area and it looks like entry level coders are only 10 bucks an hour.  This concerns me as I don't want to put out a lot of money for coding school if I am not going to be making much money.  Also, ...

Andrews School...which Course To Take?
Nov 13, 2012

This may not be the right board, but I thought I would put it here. I have been interested in taking the coding course through Andrews for over a year now. I was just wondering if that is the way to go or if I should take a different course that they are now offering. They now offer billing and medical management. I know that medical transcription is out because I am already a transcriptionist and that is not going well. Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you. ...

Best School After Andrews. Sm
Nov 08, 2013

I need financial aid.  Andrews doesn't accept Pell grants. etc.  Currently I'm on unemployment.  Been unemployed for about 2 months now.  Have been an MT for 37 years.  I applied for WIA funds (workforce investiment act) and included info about Andrews and medical coding in general, i.e., what it is, etc.  They won't pay for Andrews or coding for that matter because they say:(1)  Its a work at home job.  (2) Its an online program and they ca ...

Andrews School....
Feb 12, 2014

I think I've decided on Andrews School for coding.  My question is any recent graduates get jobs? How quickly?  All openings I've browsed look like they want 3-5 years experience...... ...

Andrews School Sm
Apr 29, 2014

Those who went through the Andrews School how long did it take to find a job? Thanks. ...

How To Pay For Andrews School?
Feb 10, 2015

If I could choose a school right now for coding, Andrews would be first choice.  I was hoping that someone could share some suggestions for paying for the course.  Right now AAPC is having a "sale" on their course which is now 50% off.  From my research, though, I think that would not be my first choice, but is muc more affordable than Andrews.  Has anyone used any of the Andrews payment plans?  How did that work out for you?  The cost seems prohibitive to me, but I ...

Question For The ANDREWS SCHOOL
May 10, 2010

Does the Andrews School curriculum go beyond what the AHIMA teaches?  I ask this question with the following (in quotations) in mind. "One common misunderstanding is that you will be ready to take the CCS exam once you complete your academic training and that is incorrect. You will be qualified to sit for the CCA exam upon completing your training program. The CCS and CCS-P are mastery credentials and reflect two to three years of full time coding experience beyond the academic preparatio ...

Andrews School Website
Jul 13, 2010

Hey everybody, I am having a problem getting onto the Andrews School website. Is anybody else having the same problem? I wanted to check into their coding courses, but every time I go to the website, I get a message telling me that internet explorer could not open the website. I 'm wondering if it's down, or is it something in my computer? Any help would be appreciated! TIA! ...

Andrews School Of Coding A
Dec 19, 2010

Andrews School of Medical Coding and Transcription........... Just wanted to say a few words about Andrews School of Coding. 3 years ago I finished an AHIMA accredited program for Health Information, going through the program I realized there were some gaps that I needed to fill in on the coding end. I love AHIMA and being part of the organizaiton, and look forward to working in the field for a long time.  What I am finding with Andrews is that they offer an indepth, hands on training spe ...

Question About Andrews School - Sm
Apr 07, 2011

Looking at coding schools.  I saw a few here went to Andrews.  Seems to be a thorough course, albeit expensive.  Did you get your money's worth?  We you able to find a job after getting credentialed and did the course prepare you well for credential testing?  Those of you who are MTs, could you opt out of certain classes? What made you choose Andrews?  Would it be better to take the course through AHIMA or AAPC, why/why not? How long would it take to go thro ...

Andrews School Experiences
Aug 10, 2011

I am wondering if there are any current Andrews grads/students who would be willing to discuss their experiences in and out of the program. I have already spoken with Linda at length, and am now looking for an "in the trenches" perspective. Thanks! ...

Is Andrews The Only School You Recommend?
Sep 14, 2012

I was looking at Career Step.  No? ...

What's The Best Coding School Outside Of Andrews?
Aug 03, 2013

I was wondering what the best coding school is, other than Andrews? ...

IS ANYONE ELSE SKEPTICAL OF ANDREWS SCHOOL?
May 14, 2015

I am an MT. I really want to do the Andrews School, but probably from being an MT, I just feel beaten down and depressed and I am afraid to be taken advantage of.  On this site, there are so many  people who went to Andrews and got such wonderful jobs and it gets such great reviews.  This makes me think, could this really be true???? Or are all these just Andrews School employees?   I am so worried to spend the money on it, I am not even sure I can come up ...

Information Wanted On Andrews School
Nov 15, 2011

I am looking into moving into Coding as a profession. I will be talking to Interface Computer School this afternoon as they have a billing/coding class (just asking questions right now), but I am hearing so much of Andrews. I know this is an online course. I feel a little nervous about not having a teacher in front of me. Can anyone tell me about Andrews, what to expect, how hard is it really (sounds pretty strict on grades, etc on the web page) how well communication is and if yo ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Question For Andrews School Grads
Nov 20, 2013

Okay -- I think I've made my decision to not go back to my local community college after I finish ICD-9 fall semester.  I just don't feel it is giving me what I need, and it is not preparing me to pass anything.  Most of the students in my class are taking coding as just another class they have to pass so they can move on to something else.  I am paying a lot of money because I'm out of state, and I don't feel like I'm getting value.  I've n ...

Career Step Or Andrews Is A Good School?
Jan 27, 2010

Anyone know if Career Step or Andrews is a good school? I'm trying to decide on which one to go to. ...

Advice On Andrews School Tuition Options.
Sep 04, 2012

Hi. I am very interested in attending Andrews school for coding. The only problem is I may not be able to pay in full at the time of enrollment. Has anyone done the payment option and if so how did it work for you? Thanks. ...

Can I Transfer Credits From Andrews School To A Local College?
May 09, 2010

For 3800.00 I would think they should be accredited most definitely.  ...

Is There Any Prerequisite For The Andrews School Medical Coding Program
May 11, 2010

do they include anatomy? ...

Recommended FTP Sites?
Oct 18, 2010

I have been working through a company as an IC and now have an opportunity to gain a local account, but I need an FTP site that I can receive wav files and send reports back, does anyone have any suggestions?  The last time I did local accounts they were still using tapes, LOL! ...

Recommended Some Ear Wax Drops *at TC*???? What Is TC? TIA....
Jan 24, 2011

Ear wax drops at TC? The only thing I could find was temperature control, but does that make sense??   If anyone can help, I appreciate it. ...

We Will Get The Recommended Dose Of S/l DVAPT
Oct 13, 2010

x ...

Drug Recommended: Ibumetin ?
Oct 26, 2012

I know I'm hearing "Ibumetin" correctly...how often do you hear doctors recommending drugs that aren't offered in the US?  He's a native speaker, and there's no mention of the patient traveling abroad.  Is there some other drug that sounds similar?  His dictation at bottom. http://www.drugs.com/international/ibumetin.html TREATMENT PLAN:  Anti-inflammatories.  Ibumetin would be recommended.  Patient reports she had an episode of a lower GI blee ...

Recommended Companies (private Msg Me)
Sep 08, 2014

I'm really thinking about jumping ship from MModal.  I've been there for 8 years, being a QA/editor for half that and have been nominated for MT of the year 4 times.  Recently it seems they've put a target on my back and I think I need to get out.  I have been out of the business loop for that time, so I don't know what's out there.  Are there any places you would recommend?  Any you would recommend to stay away from?  I know going to Nuance ...

Recommended Job Sites/Companies?
Oct 03, 2014

I'm currently in CareerStep and hoping to be done with my training in the next month or so. I'm trying to get a jump on companies I might want to apply for, and I'm not sure if I'm really getting anywhere. Many of the companies on GlassDoor are geting barely 2 out of 5 stars! CareerStep partners with a bunch of schools as well and I can only get information on about half of them off of Glassdoor. So any recommendations OR companies to stay away from would be great! ...

Recommended Online Certification Programs?
Nov 04, 2010

Hello---I am a stay at home mom that is interested in becoming a Medical Transcriptionist. I am looking for any recommendations on an online certification or training program. There are so many out there, and I am leery of being scammed or overpaying or completing a course that is not recognized, etc. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I definitely need it to be online, from home, and would prefer a shorter timeframe. I already have a Bachelor's degree (in an unrelated field ...

Anyone At Accentus Have A Slower Upload Speed Than Recommended?
May 04, 2012

I can't get a 1.5 MB speed without a major expense, and I'm worried this will slow me down. Thanks for your help :) ...