A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

SoftScript -- Things that Make You Go Hmmm - DeputyDog

Posted: Feb 16, 2012

I did a little investigation today, and I have learned that SoftScript, LLC (emphasis on the LLC that they use after their company name) is not registered with the California Secretary of State as a corporation or a limited liability corporation or anything of the kind.  This company has always acted in a shady manner, but now I'm really starting to wonder about them.  The Secretary of State staff member I spoke with today said that their office doesn't investigate this sort of thing, but they just encourage people to register with them.  I asked if a company can just use LLC and not really be one, and she hesitated as if that would be something of a no-no but that they don't investigate it.  Does anyone know if SoftScript still has the same owner as always?  If SoftScript is not incorporated and someone sued the company, the owner would be on the hook personally rather than being protected by being a corporation, which is legally its own entity and separate from the actual owner.  A corporation can sue and be sued, and people usually incorporate in order to protect themselves from the personal ruin they would suffer if a lawsuit is successful.  It's strange that SoftScript would use LLC and not really be an LLC unless they are trying to give the illusion of being a corporation but for some reason don't want to register publicly with the state as a real one.  Hmmm.

INC - DeputyDog

[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, they are using Inc. after their company name. Maybe I just thought I had seen LLC after it somewhere, but they have SoftScript, Inc., at their website, which means they are saying they are a corporation. They bothered to trademark the name SoftScript (according to the TM after the company name -- I'll have to check that out as well), so I'm still wondering why they are using Inc. but are not registered with the state of California as a corporation.

False Alarm - DeputyDog

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought it had to be an error that the staff member at the California Secretary of State office told me that SoftScript is not registered there. When you search at the Sec. of State website, it's there. I figured any company that would bother to trademark a company name would probably register as a corporation if for no other reason than for the owner to be protected in legal battles. All in all, though, this company is shady, and they treat their employees abominably, and LIE, man do they lie!

Well, at least you looked into it! Still, where there's - smoke, theres often fire, so - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd be willing to be SS (and most of the other biggies out there, as well) are doing at least 5-10 OTHER things that aren't legal.

First and foremost, one has to question the legality of all the overtime/holidays we work without getting paid for it. They seem to get around getting turned in for that little infraction by mandating high line-per-hour quotas, then sending work our way in small, incremental doses, and finally, telling us how "lucky" we are to be "allowed to make up the lines past our normal shift hours".

With "thoughtful employers" like that, who needs enemies?
SoftScript - EagerBeaver
[ In Reply To ..]
I definitely agree with you that many of these MTSOs are just ignoring the labor laws in this country. Here's one for the record books: I had no work on my shift at SS this week (as usual), and after signing in and getting no jobs one day, I was told the next day that one, count it, ONE job had come in during my shift that I should have done, (almost 2 hours into my shift after I had long since stopped checking for work that day) and because I didn't stay and wait my entire shift for that one job, I had violated company policy and not worked my shift. Now, this is after I have asked and plead for work for over 2 months, when day after day there has been none for me or maybe a handful, less than 10 most days, and nowhere near the amount of work needed for the length my shift. I was terminated over this issue. I wasn't making much money with them anyway, but I am requesting to be paid for every single day I have not had work on my shift for the past almost 7 months. During my termination discussion, the two guys who run HR would not listen to a thing I had to say, and one laughed in the background during the discussion. I remember when one of my supervisors was fired right after I began work, she told me that the HR person who terminated her giggled throughout the entire termination discussion, so it has to be the same guy, although I was new to SS at the time, and I didn't know which one she was talking about. When I get a hold of the owner of SS by phone, you can believe he is going to hear from me regarding what is going on at his company on a day-to-day basis. I'm filing a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division, and then SS will be answering to them as to why they hire people, mandate that they sit for an entire shift but won't pay them when they have no work, and in my case, they actually kept work from me. All of my audits have been good, most in the 99% range and one 100%, so there is no reason I should have had any work held back from me and not allowed to do it while my supervisor gave the work to others, as she told me she did. She said that only certain people were allowed to do second level QA, and she was picky about who does it, so I needed to work as an MT when the QA work was low (which is every day except on Saturday mornings). Oh, really? So with all of my audits in the excellent range, I can't be allowed to work on second level QA but there are some other editors who she thinks are qualified more than I am to work on it? Then what is the purpose of audits if not to determine skill level, and mine show that I have the proper skills to edit any report on the accounts assigned to me. The truth is that she was just keeping work away from certain people and making sure others received it. Believe me, I have kept every e-mail to back up my claims for the complaint I am filing.

I seriously don't think the owner of SS will want to be on the business end of a Wage and Hour Division investigation, but he is going to have to deal with the one I am going to file. I'm with you that these companies are going to need to start answering for their practices and treatment of employees, and one way to get them to abide by the law is to report them when they don't.
Wage & Hour Division has the power to put them - out of business. I HOPE THAT HAPPENS!!!
[ In Reply To ..]
I saw them investigate a company I once worked for, for bouncing employee checks. Once they started looking more closely at that company, they found ALL SORTS of illegal doings going on, and shut them down for good.

What that company did to you - stringing you along for ages with no work, then "hiding" one report in there where you likely wouldn't find it - is DESPICABLE.

I hope the Labor Board goes after them with a vengeance.
WAH Division - EagerBeaver
[ In Reply To ..]
I do, too! Thank you for your support and encouragement. I have been seeing for years the cries on this board from MTs and QA editors working at SoftScript who never have enough work. The guy in HR yesterday told me that he has been working for SoftScript for 7 years and this is just a slow time of year but that work picks up in the summer. I told him that this ain't my first rodeo and work is never nonexistent for months and months unless something is amiss. I also asked him that if he is such a seasoned employee of the MT industry and knows that this is just a slow time of year every year, then why do I see a SoftScript ad posted on February 13, 2012, to hire new MTs and QA editors? He said he didn't know why "they" are doing that. Now, he is a honcho in HR and is referring to whomever places the employment ads as "they." That's rich. These people act as if we just rode in on the turnip wagon. It's just lie after lie with them while they treat us like we don't even know the industry we've worked in for years. Both of those guys were very smug about the whole discussion, my manager never even called me to discuss anything and had HR fire me on the spot, and they probably feel as though they have won for now, but a day of reckoning is coming for this company and the individuals who work there in the long-term as well as in the short-term. You do not get away with treating people in a hateful manner in business or personally, and they will reap these sorts of things. Meanwhile, they're going to be on the receiving end of questions from the people who hold the rule book, the WAH Division, and we'll see how smug they are then, especially when the owner of SS finds out that they let something like this get to this point. He's not going to want to have to deal with a WAH investigation that could have been avoided if his day-to-day operations staff were managing the business properly. He may be so far removed from the daily operations that he does not know what goes on, but he is going to find out.

This was a part-time job for me, and I have considered just letting it go because I have another job that I LOVE and enjoy every day. My boss is wonderful, and the job is very interesting. I have a lot to be thankful for, so I think, "Do I really want to expend time and energy on a complaint and a fight with SoftScript?" But then I think about all of us who have been abused and lied to by them, and I feel that I can't walk away without exposing them to the proper authorities and getting the pay that is due me plus making things better for future employees who won't be treated badly way, hopefully, if the WAH complaint has the effect I think it will, which is that SS will have to clean up its act. That will help make things better for everyone out here struggling to make a living who decides to work for them. I feel that I really have to pursue this. So thank you again for the encouragement.
I had to correct a typo in my post. Sorry for any confusion while reading it! - EagerBeaver
[ In Reply To ..]
There's a stray word in this sentence of my previous post:

who won't be treated badly way, hopefully, if the WAH complaint has the effect I think it will, which is that SS will have to clean up its act.

It should read this way:

who won't be treated badly, hopefully, if the WAH complaint has the effect I think it will, which is that SS will have to clean up its act.
Bravo! It's people like you who are willing to stand up - for whats right, that can enable positive changes!
[ In Reply To ..]
There are W&H forms you fill out online - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
this is gonna be good!

INC - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
They could be located in California, but incorporated somewhere else, like Delaware. Delaware seems to be a popular place for companies to incorporate without actually being located there. I don't know the reason.

I find record of the fact that - Delaware

[ In Reply To ..]
the SS owner was at one point using Delaware as a location. Not sure why, either.
Delaware - destinyisntfree
[ In Reply To ..]
There are no state taxes in Delaware, so that is why a lot of companies incorporate there, because it is cheaper.

Similar Messages:

Things That Make Me Go Hmm
May 19, 2010

Have ya ever wondered, WHY is it that we get "audited" when we are having really, really bad work days? Why does the "computer randomly chose" (ha!) the most difficult, awful report to review?   My latest audit was on a dictator I had NEVER EVER DONE before, on a brand spanking new account, was 1098 minutes and ASR and ESL!  I got an 84%.  (Hey! as far as I'm concerned that should have been an A+++!!  Least I gave them something that looked like a report.) I a ...

Can We Make A List Of 100 Things That We ...sm
Apr 13, 2011

love about being an MT? I have been feeling overwhelmed and I'm trying to find the good in it all, so I'll start.... I'm home when my kids get home from school. anyone else? ...

Things That Make You Go Hmmmmm....
Mar 26, 2015

I recently started on a new account.  I was told this new account was in trouble because of short staffing, errors on reports, etc.  Anyway, that was not my point.  I have noticed recently on this new account that late in the afternoon (Eastern time), I begin to get STAT reports one after the other.  I did not give it much thought because I'm truthfully just trying to wrap my head around this new account as it is a pain in the **$.  Today, I started getting the ...

Does This Make Sense? Getting New Things Today.
Nov 13, 2009

I think he has a little peroneal tendinitis with some super imposed neuritis as the sural nerve crosses the peroneal tendons. tia.   This is new to me and it is not too clear. thanks for any help. ...

Geez. What Little Things Make Me Feel Better.
Sep 24, 2011

I just heard a dictator say "thank you transcriptionist for your hard work.  I know I am not easy to transcribe.  Have a good day".  I am SHOCKED!   Haven't heard a thank-you like that in a long time! ...

How Are Things At SoftScript Now? Is There Plenty Of Work Now? Sm
May 25, 2011

I thought about applying, but there seem to be a lot of negative posts, although there were some stating that the work was flowing again.  Any information is appreciated. TIA. ...

Hmmm, Just Had A Thought.
Feb 26, 2013

you pulled up a blank Word document while you were in Fluency and just typed nonsense letters while the voice file was running?  Or while it is not running?  If you have two computers, could you do that on your working computer while you did research on the other?  Just how would this mess with their production emails we get?   LOL.  This brings a whole other deminsion to transcription.  How can we mess with their numbers like they messed with ours? ...

Hmmm-strange
Sep 05, 2014

Cannot get into e-mail or remedy.  I was able to at noon and now NOT.  Very strange?  Don't know what is going on. ...

Medicak INK - Looking For The Good Things/bad Things
Aug 23, 2013

Considering making a move to this company.  Spoke with owner and she sounds delightful. Just wondering if anyone has any info on the company...anything at all!  Thank you! ...

SO...anyone Get Arrested In The March...hmmm? NM
Oct 26, 2011

x ...

Hmmm...wonder If The System Is Crashing
Mar 26, 2013

There were lots of jobs under system processing but nothing coming through? I'm seeing the same trend.  My regular accounts have no work coming through but 40 to 50 jobs in system processing. I could use a crash today so I could get paid to take a nap!  Current status is green, but I'm watching for it to go RED. ...

Hmmm Interesting Read About Nuance Trying To Buy M*Modal
Jul 17, 2012

No clue what this means to us peons working the trenches, but interesting, see link: http://hdstoday.com/?p=143   ...

So Yesterday It Was TeamWork And Utilipro And Now Fluency..hmmm
Aug 07, 2014

x ...

So How Are Things Going To Be Different After
Mar 27, 2015

midnight tonight?  If we've had to have mandatory OT for 2 weeks, what is going to all of a sudden change? ...

How Are Things At Transtech?
Feb 10, 2010

Does anyone have current information on the working conditions at Transtech?  Is their insurance okay?  Do they have enough work? ...

Is Anyone Sticking Around To See How Things Go?
Feb 17, 2010

I recently lost my MT job with a pretty decent company.  It was due to lack of work.  I know this is happening a lot these days, and I've been reading a lot of the posts here.  I know that no field is perfect, but I have to do something.  How many of you plan on (or can) stick around to see how things go, and how many of you are going back to school or getting into a different field? ...

MQ - Things Never Change
Sep 30, 2010

I worked for MQ many, many years ago when they bought the company I was working for.  From reading this board, it appears some things never change and only get worse.  I remember having to switch from one account to the other constantly and trying to keep track of client profiles.  Glad I am out of there!! ...

OTT Has Now Changed Up Some More Things...
Oct 15, 2010

All headers are now no longer counted in the line count. We're already out of work most of the time and now this. We don't get paid for cc's that we add or all the info on the pt before we ever start typing. I'd say when we do have work they're getting a lot of free work from us. ...

Offshoring, Things We Can Do.
Sep 14, 2011

First off, I am truly disgusted with our government for allowing offshoring to such a degree that it has taken most of our jobs away.  We have written and complained to no avail.  We do need to do some things on our own too.  I recently went shopping for my son's school supplies.  I read the labels to make sure things were made in America.  Ink pens:  The only ink pens I found made in America were Pilot pens, BIC were made in China.  I bought the Pilot pe ...

How Are Things Currently At Landmark?
Feb 07, 2012

xx ...

I Want To Change Things Here
Apr 08, 2012

Im know for my big mouth and speaking my mind...Everyone including me is on here bitching, that is counterproductive and makes for a long day..This job is an IMPORTANT job, not just every idiot can do it..I enjoy the challenges that come with it, even though there are times I would like to pull my hair out...With that I'm opening my mouth and making a move...So I am asking what you guys want me to include in my email...Constructive critism only please...I know most of the problems, but I do ...

I Know They Change Things
Aug 18, 2012

I know this b/c I specifically could not find a doctors name in the database for one particular job and I blanked it, wrote it down so I would remember the job number and what I blanked and when my corrections came through today, that name was filled in as if I put it there, there was no blank no more with a correction that I put in the incorrect name.  I know that I blanked it.  This is rediculous!!!  I can't wait to find another job!  ...

I've Had It, Done, Over. I Got Up Early To Get Many Things Done Sm
Dec 28, 2012

since I found out last night that I am having unexpected overnight houseguests tonight.  In-laws suddenly don't have room....Not only is my house a mess from entertaining both xmas eve and xmas while trying to get in work which was nearly impossible because there wasn't any, but I was low on food, my son had a doc's appt for a cough that he has had for 3 weeks now, and we are expecting a snowstorm tomorrow.  I ran around like a wild woman al ...

2 More Things To Watch For...
Jan 08, 2013

shorted on PTO accrual - waiting for call from HR - and QA now searching out very short reports, due to the 'nuance improved' QA calculation, 1 minor 0.25 error made my score 97.73! ...

Hey Ya'll At MM: How Are These Things Working
Feb 27, 2013

â€Â¢ Respect: We treat each other and our customers with respect, valuing individual and cultural differences and approaches to work. â€Â¢ Teamwork: We strive to create an environment in which everyone has a chance to showcase their individual talents. We build better relationships and produce greater results for our customers when we work together as a team. Our goal is to empower our people to work smarter and more effectively. â€Â¢ Customer Focus: We always seek ways to enhance the ...

How Are Things At Accentus?
Feb 28, 2013

How are things at Accentus?  I have an interview. ...

5 THINGS AN MT DOES NOT WANT TO SEE IN JOB POSTINGS
Apr 21, 2014

1.  Companies that brag on themselves. "XYZ Transcription, a an industry leader, has been in business since the first Christmas and therefore is the best. We therefore deserve only the best MTs that love playing on our team regardless of how much they want to play for the only team that matters to them, I.E, their family; adhering to turn-around times under penalty of death; and really don't give a hoot about anything but the MT Companies. We are growing and growing and growing and are ...

When Did Things Change?
Apr 24, 2014

I have recently been switched to almost all back end speech, no problem, but when did the rules change? I was taught milligrams not mg, milliliter not mL, gravida II/para II not gravida 2, para 2. It seems with the advent of back end speech, the rules are being relaxed. Will JCACHO accept this? Isn't it our reputation at stake? ...

Maybe Things Will Change
Sep 03, 2014

FedEx ICs http://www.forbes.com/sites/eriksherman/2014/09/03/fedex-latest-company-slammed-over-independent-employees/?google_editors_picks=true   ...

You Know Things Have Hit An All-time Low When ...
Jan 17, 2015

You're sitting here with a job waiting for you in your queue and you don't even CARE because you decide to watch a training/motivational video on changing careers to help you get the H311 out of this god-forsaken field.  As God as my witness, I WILL be out of this company by year's end.  I'd rather empty trash cans in the ladies' room than do this for even one more day and I've worked for this company for 16 years.  Stick a fork in me ... I'm don ...