A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Lost Job with MxSecure - Unemployed

Posted: Nov 25, 2010

Has anyone else lost their job with MxSecure because of the independent contractor going to employee only status.  I was informed that they are not hiring in my state and several others, but they would let me know if they decided to later.  Any information?

Me too - cjmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I got the same e-mail. What state are you in? I'm in Ohio. Personally I think the jobs are going to the Philippines, but I don't actually know that. The statement about not hiring in my "geographic location" doesn't make any sense to me.

It has to do with employment laws in the individual states - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
There are several companies that won't hire people in several states, notably California. It has to do in part with the employment laws in that state plus it has to do with whether the MTSO is registered to do business in that state. It sounds like they're only registered to do business in a limited number of states. If they had been using contractors to work around that and are working on getting their stuff set up with the states, it can take a while depending on each state's Corporation Commission.

Kansas MxSecure - Concerned MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in Kansas,but have talked to someone in Wisconsin who got the same email and she knew someone in Michigan who had lost their job with MxSecure.

MX did nothing wrong! They've switched from IC to employee-only. - MX Secure MT

[ In Reply To ..]
We knew MX Secure was IC-only status when we signed on with them. Why all the complaining now when they're going to employee-only status? I for one am thankful they didn't tender pink slips but gave us the opportunity to sign on as employees. It's not their fault they're not hiring in all 50 states. Jeesh! They've done nothing wrong and yet everyone is saying there's more to this. So what if there is? It's their company. We work WITH them as IC's and now they're changing the way they do business.

And relocating? I've relocated several times for my husband's employer through the years. Now I am the bread winner in the family and I would definitely consider it if I had to.

I understand why everyone is so mad especially people who won't have income from MX in 6 weeks. But your arguments against the company are stupid. They did nothing wrong. You're an IC. You agreed to be an IC when you did work for them initially. You were never an employee yet you now want them to explain themselves fully when that's not their responsibility.

It's a business. They are in it to make a profit. Employing people in all 50 states is cost prohibitive for them.

If you want the industry to treat MTs as professionals, we need to act like it. Think like professionals. Right now I hear a lot of whining, finger pointing and accusations but if you really stop to think about the situation objectively, you'll see all these arguments and complaints don't hold water.

Call me mgmt too... That's fine. It's incorrect but it seems to be what people say when they don't like your post.
Slap in the face! - Concerned
[ In Reply To ..]
You right, it is their company they can do what they want, but an email the night before Thanksgiving, after working for them for 5 years, is a slap in the face.
It probably wasn't their choice; they were probably given 15 days to do it. sm - Ex-MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
Three years ago, my state (NY) unemployment office decided to audit us for IC vs employee status. Even though we followed all the IRS rules, the additional UE rules made them rule against us. We were fined $210,000 and given 15 days to convert everyone to employee status. At the time, I was very involved with AAMT and spoke to a few other service owners who had gone through something similar in their states. They are probably doing it more now that they are all broke.

MxSecure - MT2

[ In Reply To ..]
None of us should work for them. These people are responsible for the offshoring of American jobs. Be a proud American. Do not participate in the selling out of America by offshoring to the Philippines and elsewhere. DO NOT WORK FOR COMPANIES THAT OFFSHORE!

MxS - part of what they say...

[ In Reply To ..]
...is something about MTs not meeting IRS qualifications for ICs. i haven't found anything to support that (yet). i'll keep looking.

and maybe i'm dense--what's the difference between contracting as a carpenter and contracting as an MT?? an IC is an IC.

unless someone got a bee in his bonnet about MTs' leaking private info or something.
Lots and lots in archives about MTs as contractors - Happy MT Robin
[ In Reply To ..]
The short version is that many MTSOs want to have an employee meet a schedule of certain hours and/or certain days and yet still classify them as an IC. HUGE, HUGE no-no. As a contractor YOU determine the days you work and the amount you will produce, NOT the MTSO. One of the basic rules for determining whether someone is an employee or a contractor is whether the employer determines the where and the how that the work will be done.
There's actually a long list of factors that are weighed - and evaluated to
[ In Reply To ..]
determine that total picture they add up to: employee or IC?

Tell that to Obama - sm - MXster

[ In Reply To ..]

....and I suppose you don't buy anything at all that is imported - right. Obama pays incentives to companies who offshore to India. And no, MX does not offshore to India, and so what if they did - it's their decision. Follow the Golden Rule - Those who hold the gold - rule. Again, the anger is aimed in the wrong direction. I have always had the outlook - if unhappy with who one works with, quit and/or start one's own company.. then one can make up whatever rules one wants.

I like to eat and have a roof over my head. - Can only take pride so far

[ In Reply To ..]
Offshoring of work is not going to stop, it is going to increase. Chosing to not work for a company that offshores gains nothing because there are thousands of offshore MTs ready to take your place at a much cheaper rate. Sad fact, but too late to do anything about it. The largest offshore MT company is buying up all the US MTSOs it can to control the industry.

phillipines - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
everyone in production, AFAIK, is in the phillipines.

MX Secure switching from IC status - MXMT 29

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow as a fellow MX MT I am really sorry about those who have lost their jobs because MX went to employee status and won't be hiring in your state. I am one of the lucky ones who lives in a state that they will employ MTs, Nevada. But I almost moved to a state (Ohio) where I knew they were no longer hiring MTs so had my husband taken a job in Ohio, I would have been out of a job as well.

The whole reason MX and other MTSOs are changing to employee status has to do with the IRS and the facts surrounding MT work really not falling under all the IC requirements. For instance, a company can't call you an IC and tell you that you have to work a certain shift and there are a lot of tax and labor issues at play here.

I truly believe the company when they say switching from IC status was not what they wanted. Why would an MTSO not want IC MTs? It's so much less hassle for them!

I completely sympathize with MTs who think their jobs are going overseas. I hate the trend of MT work nowadays as well. There aren't a lot of careers where you actually made more money 20 years ago than you do now, but this isn't just a product of overseas MTs. There are a lot of factors involved. And the last I knew everyone on this board lives and works in the U.S. where a company is allowed to run itself the way it deems most efficient and not the govt. I can't fault a company for that. It's like saying the auto companies can't use robotics on their production lines. It's a nice thought to save jobs but it's not realistic. The employer has to make money or they can't operate and there will be no jobs for any of us.

I know many healthcare providers, incl. the acct I work for will only utilize U.S. MTs so as long as that's the case there will be work for us even if it becomes more scarce.

Again, I am so sorry for my fellow MX Secure MTs that won't be switching to employee status and I wish you all the best. But I still stand by MX and their staff. The staff specifically in the Philippines has been the most supportive and greatest to work with I've ever encountered and I've been an MT for awhile. I don't begrudge a company for hiring the best people at the best price they can get. We always have the opportunity to say "No Thanks". And as an IC, we know we're not employees and our contracts could end any time. That's what an IC status is all about.

MXsecure IC - requirements?

[ In Reply To ..]
they've managed to have ICs for this long. what's changed? did someone threaten to sue them or something? the people in the phillipines might be "the greatest," but there are lots of "great" americans looking for work.

MX Secure - mxmt29

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know what has happened right now to force these larger MTSOs to switch to employee status but it has to do with federal and state tax regs and labor issues. I don't know if this was prompted by legal action or not. I have read people complaining on these very boards about MTSO's demanding they work during certain shifts and they shouldn't be allowed to do that since they're IC's so maybe an MT lawsuit did start this whole thing but I doubt it is that simple. I think it is a combination of a lot of tax and state labor issues.

And you're right there are a ton of great Americans looking for work but out of all the production people I have worked with through the years, these particular Philippine production workers have just been the most ethical, supportive, friendly and consistent that I have come across. I just view them as people, not as a specific "foreign entity" trying to steal our jobs.

I was a union steward for many years with AT&T and I have that mentality when it comes to justice for the worker. I just don't begrudge a company who is trying to stay efficient in the best way they can. How many MTSOs have folded lately because they can't make it? This world is growing so fast that to say we are only going to "Buy American" is ridiculous. I tried to say I wasn't going to buy anything made in China because I didn't believe in their policitical and social restrictions over people. But I found I just can't do it. Our world's changing and we have to go with the flow and be realistic or find another occupation. How many of you demanding not to work for companies that outsource drive foreign cars?
MxSecure - I am not buying their story - Concerned
[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked for them for 5 years. I hope the federal laws do change and all records have to stay here. I don't buy that they can have employees in some states and not in others. The president of the company sent another email trying to explain. He said jobs were not being sent to the Phillipines but he didn't say anything about India. I had heard that they had built a MT school there. It was just dirty the way they did it. If it was that detailed they have known about it for awhile and they could have given us a heads up. Right after I got the email that I did not have a job, they asked if I could work extra hours yesterday and today. My incentive to work extra was to make sure we kept accounts.
not buying it either - alsoconcerned
[ In Reply To ..]
they're reading here. maybe posting, too. something is just off about this entire thing. i've worked there long enough to know that as long as it's warm and fuzzy, they'll tell any ol' story.
MxSecure - I agree - Concerned
[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like some the prior post was from one of the managers. Same garbage that was sent in the email.
MX Secure - MXMT29
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I can assure you I am not management and I posted 2 of the more outspoken and pro-company posts here. I have worked for them for over 4 years and only as an IC MT. I am one of the lucky ones who still has a job so I am a bit biased. But I know to have an employee in a state you have to file a ton of paperwork in that state and abide by their specific labor laws. You may even have to have licensure, etc. in each state you have employees. I don't know all the specifics but it sounds like a logistical nightmare to me for a company the size of MX Secure.

I have never heard about anything in India associated with them so that would be news to me. I know for certain the account I work on would not allow anyone but a U.S. MT to do their work (as I used to work for the same clinic inhouse as an MT). I know MX is not sending all their work overseas as some are speculating. Anything other than that, I can only assume they're telling us the truth.

I am stressing over making less money since taxes and the medical benefits (if I can afford them) will eat a big portion of what I am used to earning. And will our line rate decrease? So much still to learn. Guess we'll know soon. I am trying to focus on the benefits (i.e. PTO days) and not stress about the rest yet. Feeling kind of guilty tonight that I live in a state that they hire in.

If it were me and my sole financial support, I'd relocate??!!

Relocate??? Seriously??? - IAMT
[ In Reply To ..]
To have the opportunity to work for a company that you don't know what will happen next to the MTs? Moving/relocating costs money. Which tree do you pull your money off of!!

IMO, and I believe this more than the explanation given, that the decline in the economy and all the other things we are told about our MTSOs need to put such crummy conditions on MTs working fro home is exactly that, we work remotely. We don't have the opportunity to be in the office, see or hear possibly about the gains and losses of the company or get the scuttle on management and CEO salaries, raises, bonuses. We all simply work from home doing the work, covering shift shortages, holidays, overabundance in work, take time for underabundance in work, tweak our schedules and are pretty much at their beck and call. The companies know we are dependent on the salary we make that they keep decreasing, the benefits they should and could provide at a much better rate, and the vacation and holiday pay they could give the MT to enhance their quality of life. A previous poster stated once if the MTSO would pay well, they would get the best. If they inspired us, we would be more productive.

These companies are no different to me than the bailout companies that gave bonues (though most got caught by the media and reported), we just will never know about the big picture of all of this cuz we work from home and I think the MTSO's like it that way and depend on keeping MTs in the dark about their profits, losses, spendings, etc.
You are right - Relocate? - Concerned
[ In Reply To ..]
Relocate for a job that if the doctor is a terrible dictator you make less than minimum wage. I gave it my all, pushed to do extra and keep the jobs done. Also, when you looked at their website, there were probably 28 states they were not hiring in. Not knowing us from being in an office with us probably made it easier to just send us an email that we no longer have jobs - Not Nice at all.
28 states? - where?
[ In Reply To ..]
i didn't see anything about what states they will or will not hire from. i DID see something about tax-payers' ("stimulus") money being involved, though. follow the money.

somethin' just ain't right. in all the time i've been there, they've never treated me as anything but an IC. asked what days and hours i was available, no barking when i said i'd be off--that was that. once i couldnt log on--not a peep. no call, no e-mail--nothing.

oh, and to whoever it was said they have an MT school in india, would you give a link or source, please? i couldn't find that anywhere--only their doings in the phillipines.
Mxsecure States - Concerned
[ In Reply To ..]
A couple of weeks ago when they were advertising for MTs and if you went to their website it listed all the states that they were not hiring in. I became concerned then but still nothing was mentioned to us, only how many lines do you want and how fast can you have them done.
sickening to see this happening in MT field. - AT
[ In Reply To ..]
Change and deception. I hate what I hear after all these years of a great America and Labor Day to celebrate what American is all about. Now you have CEOs and management and all about profits and farming out jobs overseas to countries who we also give AIDE to but now we worry about our lives. Too bad you all cannot form your OWN company now and take the acacounts YOU know best. That's the answer. We forgot we work in HealthCARE. We NEED to care about our selves and our own before we can open up our cares to other countries. And notice how the Republicans wanted to change no laws for companies to get PAID for work being sent to foreign lands.
Oh, for goodness' sakes. Business as usual. How could - anyone not know that. The
[ In Reply To ..]
good old days were business as usual too. For your own sakes, try to be sensible and view the world with clear eyes.

Similar Messages:

MxSecure - VR
Oct 31, 2009

Just wondering if there are any MxSecure MTs who have already switched to VR who can tell me how it's going.  I haven't heard anything about it since we were told the switch to VR was happening.  ...

MxSecure, Inc.
Sep 22, 2010

any comments would be appreciated ...

MxSecure Shorting Pay?
Apr 17, 2010

Just FYI:  for some time now, MxSecure has been shorting my pay.  I get the "there-there" routine--then it happens again.  They are first very rigid about invoicing, then say to enter a separate line for any incentive.  The latest is that it's a "known issue."  I have no idea what is going on with this company.  Ever since we got the notice about switching to VR, it seems it has all gone to pot. Or maybe I am just grouchy. ...

Any Info On Mxsecure?
Aug 24, 2010

I'm supposed to have an interview wiuth them this week, and a search showed the most recent posts about them were from 2008. ...

Anyone Tested With MXSecure?
Nov 14, 2010

I recently saw a job ad for this company and am considering testing for a job.  The job ad does not specifically state their equipment requirements.  I went to their company web site to try to find out, but I can't find any place where they list whether you need a footpedal to take the test.  I feel like a bonehead because I'm sure I must be missing it somewhere.  I did find where they list some hardware and internet requirements and it just says you need speakers a ...

Any US MxSecure MTs Still Have Jobs?
Nov 25, 2010

Just got an e-mail the day before Thanksgiving that MxSecure is going to an all-employee status and no longer using IC's and that they are not currently recruiting employees in my geographic area.  I'm out of a job as of the end of the year.  I'm just wondering if there are other MxSecure MTs in the States who were offered employee status or if they are going to completely move the work out of the country.  ...

MxSecure Calls
Dec 14, 2010

Has anybody received their phone call about what their new schedule will be?   ...

MXSecure, Webmedx????
Aug 30, 2011

I am currently employed at MQ and am looking elsewhere.  I have looked at Eight Crossings, MedGarde, MxSecure, Webmedx, All Type and Landmark.  anybody have news on any of these?  Good, bad or indifferent? ...

Looking For Recent Info On MXSecure
Aug 22, 2011

Looking for recent info on MXSecure...  Archived info is pretty old.  Any recent employees there that care to share good/bad info on them?  Are you assigned certain docs?  Is it hard to maintain your line count?  What is the ratio of straight/VR and the pay for it?  High number of ESL docs?  Any info appreciated.    Thanks! ...

Anyone Still Waiting For A Reply From MxSecure Payroll
Jan 27, 2011

First employee check from the company (been an IC for over 5 years, went to employee status Jan 1) and I wasn't paid for my hours, only my production which equaled less than min wage for the hours. I've emailed them time and time again since 1/18/11 and all I get is "we're working on it" without any type of real answer as to what it is they are working on. IMO, there's no "working on it" - you're either going to pay my min wage or not. Why is it so hard to get a straig ...

Ready To Cry - MxSecure Acquired By M*Modal
Nov 07, 2012

Yet another good company bites the dust due to M*Modal.  We have a 12-hour window, weekends off, paid holidays and sick days, and incentives.  I purposely took this job because  MxSecure is also a software company so thought this couldn't happen.   Biting my nails as to what changes are ahead. ...

Lost In OB
Jun 21, 2010

Procedure EFM toco?  ...

NEW IC LOST AT SEA - Please Help - Sm
Jul 22, 2010

I need advice.  I have just recently gone from employee (for over 35 years) to independent contractor.  This has probably been asked or discussed before, but I never paid any attention to the discussions as it never pertained to me; now I wish I had read the posts.  I feel lost here.  I was hired in the usual manner, and told what my line rate would be.  I understand the part about no taxes taken out, no benefits, etc.  I was also told what hours/days they need ...

I Did My Best And Still Lost The Job
Mar 21, 2012

I trained for 5 days and was called today and told I was terminated. No explanation but their instructions on page breaks sucked and I had off and on problems with them. They sent a video to watch and and would not play on my computer and I told them about it. All they did was send it to me again and still didn't work. These companies are all about greed and do not want to take time to really train someone who really wants to learn their job. ...

Just Lost My Job To EMR
Aug 15, 2012

I just received an email that was addressed to us ladies stating that as of Friday this week, we are not needed anymore because all doctors in a certain place are switching to EMR. It was a whole city. This is the first I have heard of this, that is, all their accounts in this city are switching. God Help us All ...

Lost Job To EMR
Aug 16, 2012

After 14 years of transcribing for a medical practice, suddenly, without notice, I was "dumped."  My client implimented the required EHR mandated by President Obama.  I guess I was somewhat naive in not seeing this coming, but I assumed transcribed documents by a "real person" would still be wanted by my client.  Now I find myself at age 57 without work.  My next step is to inquire about verbatim transcription, but the idea of not correcting improper grammar and using "yeah" ...

I'm Sorry - Afraid I Will Be Lost Below!
Dec 11, 2009

Under IC QA - thanks (waaaay down there - lots of comments) but after you read this - do I have options? ...

Lost Account To EMR :(
Jan 19, 2010

Last week I was told that the account I was working on went to EMR and they do not need any of the MTs on that account anymore.  :(  I have been sending out my resume but no bites.  I have 12 years of MT experience.  Where are the jobs? ...

HELP! I Lost My Tool Bar - Sm
Mar 18, 2010

I was doing something on the internet in Explorer and I did something that made my toolbar at the bottom go away.  Can anyone help me get it back?  Thanks in advance. ...

More Mt Jobs Lost To EMR
May 26, 2010

Just heard today my local town's clinic will be going to EMR in September so those MTs will be losing their job (we are only 2000 people but the clinic is going EMR), another town 125 from me with about 100 MTs have just lost their jobs and a bigger town from there has lost about 100 MTs because of EMR.  These are rural America and not big hospitals by any means compared to some of the bigger cities in the country.  This is just not right and so, so, so sad.  I also jus ...

Where Your Lost MQ Wages Are Going
Aug 27, 2010

From an article written 2 days ago regarding MQ's settlement of a lawsuit filed by Kaiser against Medquist (which MQ settled for 2 million, by the way):   The company reported net revenues for the three months ended June 30, 2010 as increasing $20.1 million or 25.9 percent to $97.5 million compared to $77.5 million for the three months ended June 30, 2009. ...

Lost Accounts?
Sep 02, 2010

This lost accounts business is b.s. They have been pushing overtime in QA for a long time because they needed people and now they have the nerve to lay people off. Nice way to do business. I actually feel sorry for the workers left there with all of that work. They are going to drill those employees into the ground with work. ...

Totally Lost
Apr 29, 2011

The (leaves) of the (blood) ligament was dissected anteriorlly forming a bladder flap and posteriorlly exposing the neurovascular area of the ...  ...

Suspect We Lost A Lot Of MTs
May 27, 2011

My normally caught-up to NJA area has been frequently going out of TAT this last week with an outrageous amount of work, even after losing a huge account to the ILPs.  I suspect these new expectations have caused many to quit, obviously. ...

Lost My Coding Job To EMR
Mar 15, 2012

Hospital I work for just switched over to Epic.  I was informed this week that I will be laid off as a coder - I am no longer needed.  Instead, they will hire coders as data analysts, document improvement specialists and managers.  But, in order to get these jobs I need a degree.  I do not have a degree, just my CCS as well sa my CPC.  I feel like crying and giving up on this career.  First as a laid of MT to a laid off coder.  I don't want to be in this b ...

Lost For Words When I Saw
Oct 30, 2012

a report done by an MT that has been with the company since 1994 and spelled lichen planus with a K, e.g.,"liken planus."  Not a good sign. ...

Just Lost Our Jobs
May 20, 2013

Well it was bound to happen. Our doctors have gone with VR 360 and we have about a month to "get out" basically. Yep us five ladies have been evicted. Some have been there 20+ years. It was only a matter of time I guess. Get this..the department head started the meeting with a prayer (probably praying we wouldn't kick his butt) and then at the end they handed us employee assistance brochures for counseling services. HA!  I guess I should be happy they gave a notice but it was like "wel ...

Lost Job Today
Sep 19, 2013

Well,  It is now finally official.  Just got my termination letter through an Email today from K&R Consulting due to loss of contracts.  I would really like to express what I feel but it would not do any good.  They had already let some go and at least I got to work for a few weeks longer. ...

Query About Those Who Have Lost The
Jan 06, 2014

It is quite a shock the first pay check? I have always made it - lost the QA one but that one always seemed to be half tax anyway, so did not mind so much, but now that will be $100 (typically was my production bonus) less for me a week and also no incentive whatsoever to type more per line OR any more at all. I am certainly NOT going to spend 3 months trying desperately to get "back on top" and get the production bonus again. It just seems so arbitrary, and the errors have been ramped up, both ...

LOST MY BENEFITS
Apr 24, 2014

I can't believe I got a letter in the mail today stating that they've cut off my health care benefits because my hours have been cut.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  I work the same number of hours every week and have since Nuance took over.  On paper they have me down for 29 hours and I work 32.  All of a sudden I'm not working enough hours and now being told to get COBRA!!!!   This is the absolute last straw!  ...