A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

General ? about meeting LPH quota - Waiting2Retire

Posted: Feb 19, 2015

Just a general question.  I'm not asking for and really don't want to start something.....I would just like to know......if you are working for a national company and their line per hour requirement is 260, do you make, or exceed, it?  And, if so, do you find it extremely difficult or fairly easy to achieve.  This would be on an average evening where you don't run out of work and most of the work comes easy but you still have a few honkers.  Thanks!

Ouch! - zany

[ In Reply To ..]
My opinion, that is extremely high for a minimum requirement.

I kind of think so too, but it is what it is. - Waiting2Retire

[ In Reply To ..]
The company I work for is all good except for that one thing. They are VERY tough to get in with and I'm going to be on my way back out very fast if I don't figure this out....and soon. :-(

Meeting LPH - Disappointed

[ In Reply To ..]
Our minimum LPH is 250 and I can usually do better than that barring any bozo dictators. I just found out recently that my state minimum wage has gone up so that means I now must do 252 LPH to meet the minimum wage. I think that stinks really. Why should I be punished for something like that ? My answer to my MTSO was to pay me a decent rate and we wouldn't have to worry about not making minimum wage.

LPH quota - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I find it easy to meet the 260 LPH requirement even with bad dictators. I am usually well over that requirement.

Another ? then? - Waiting2Retire

[ In Reply To ..]
May I ask how old you are and if you obtained any official training (other than company) for ASR? My point with the questions is this....I'm an oldie, trained only for typing. Although I've stayed with the times on most everything else and been able to carry my load, ASR and a LPH quota of 260 per hour is kicking my BUTT! I'm trying to find out if I'm simply washed up, if the newbies are being trained in this, and if they know some tricks that I don't and can't find any information on. Back in the day, MTs kept their tricks secret, so I know the drill. I'm not a dummy and surely willing to learn a new way. I know the basics. I just can't figure out why I can't master this and it's reaaaallly starting to bug me. I've always been able to do absolutely anything! But, not this.

If you can do 260 or more easily, then I want to know how ya do it? LOL.... I thank you for your time in reading this and answering. :-)

LPH - MTofOld

[ In Reply To ..]
It really depends on what system you're working on. When I used to work on Escript, I was making between 400-500 lph, but for the past few years I've been working on Fluency, and I'm lucky if I can average 250 (I can get 300+ with a good run of dictators (but what is the likelihood of that happening all the time)! I make shortcuts for all repetitive phrases, meds, and even abbreviations so that I could just write them in lower case and let them expand how they're supposed to be. I even make expansions for docs who say the same thing or those who like to mumble through their PEs or ROS and just make changes as I go along. The only way you're going to get even close to your goal is to make shortcuts and just accept the fact that your speed is still going to depend on the quality of the draft. Hope this helps!

Another ? then - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I am 49. I did not receive any official training for ASR, my only training came from the company I work for and that training was far from extensive. I was hired for transcription and all of a sudden ASR was thrown at me. If I wanted to continue to support my family I had no choice but to learn how to make money editing reports instead of transcribing them. I wish I could tell you my "secret" but I don't really have one.

You could not be any more ole school than - me but training for VR?

[ In Reply To ..]
Easy as falling off a log backwards. There is no training. If you can type, use a keyboard, there are no secrets at all. I never switched from a mouse to the keys only, never and VR is so simple. There was nothing to master for me, absolutely nothing. Just read the lines as the person dictates, when you see an error correct it, spell check and done.

It took me 2 months...SM - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
to get to my company's 250 lph. My quality was good and my lines kept getting higher so they stuck with me. I had never done ASR before and it is a different skills set than straight transcribing. Remember when you first started MT? You probably weren't as fast as you are now. Same with ASR, the more you do it, the better you'll get. If they offer tutorials, take them and learn the navigating commands. If you have to learn one at a time, do that until you've mastered it then get proficient with another one. Also go at a comfortable pace and keep wits about you. If you're nerved up you'll mishear and mis-see what's on the screen. Slow and steady wins the race. You'll get faster as time goes on.

Just want to add...sm - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I had been doing MT for over 35 years the first time I did ASR. Like I said above, it took me a while to get used to ASR as opposed to straight transcription. Tonight I averaged 351 lph over 7-1/2 hours.

I just don't understand myself.... - Waiting2Retire

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been transcribing since 1992 and ASR for about 12-15 of those years. I've never had to meet a 260 LPH quota before. This is what gets me....I've got the speed typing set up for abbreviations, surgical tools, special spellings, complete sections on physical exams, complete OP notes, etc. Obviously, I'm simply not concentrating and/or sitting in my chair enough. I don't THINK I get up that often, but everything you (and the other person) named to do, I've done. My quality rate is 100% with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 reports a month and they are generally a 99%. Maybe I take too long to "hear" or "research". Gosh...how frustrating this is to think I'm doing really well thruout the evening and then find out I'm not. This entire week I've been around the 200 LPH range. Never above 210. Anyway....again, thanks for all of the advice and help. I really do appreciate it. Wow...351 LPH in 7-1/2 hours. I'm envious. Have a good weekend.

Mine was 349 yesterday and the work was so - slow in coming in plus

[ In Reply To ..]
one report was about 20+ minutes long and there were pauses like you would not believe. I have nothing like abbreviations, complete op notes, etc. like you and still find it tremendously easy to get what I do and over. One thing I never do is read and reread nor do I spend excessive time trying to research. In years past I took my line count each hour on the hour but then my count was loads more than it is now just because MTing is not the only income I have. If it were I would get some speed under me and fly. VR is a breeze to achieve way over what is required with lph. If you cannot do the small amount companies require something major is wrong.
Yup...I'm thinking something is wrong too.... - Waiting2Retire
[ In Reply To ..]
But tell me....if you don't read and re-read and understand what you're editing, what's your quality rate like? Any ideas of what might be "majorly" wrong? Thanks.
I understand what I am working on, my quality - is what my company demands
[ In Reply To ..]
I think your problem is you don't have the speed to do this job whether straight or VR. My speed straight typing alone is well over 2400 lines per day, all straight and with VR if work available I get over 4000. I think a competent transcriptionist should never have to reread anything. I spell check at the end, required and zap right through reports. When you ask about quality just remember most places these days do not accept anything below, I think, about 98%.

I've been lucky - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I've had decent ESL dictators and the speech engine is good, so I have no trouble reaching my quotas.

I'm really pretty lucky too - Waiting2Retire

[ In Reply To ..]
as far as good dictators. I get the few bad ones but I have developed templates for them. As far as speech engines go...I think we've taken on some new people that just don't care. I was one of the originals on the account I work on and in the beginning the drafts were wonderful. They seem to be getting worse than better suddenly. Oh I don't know....this is driving me nuts. The only thing I can think of that I am doing wrong is evidently I'm not sitting my chair enough. Do you take breaks at all?

Seriously? 250 lph is a minimum? Straight typing? nm - OMG

[ In Reply To ..]
unbelievable

No no....speech recognition. Not straight typing. nm - Waiting2Retire

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Waiting to retire - oldtimer2

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not you. I worked several accounts, all gone now, where VR was so horrific, that I was typing them, yet getting paid half. Now, all of a sudden I am on different accounts where the VR is almost perfect. I never lift my foot off the pedal, put the speed at 100%, if doctor does not spell other physicians name, I leave blanks, read ahead and sign off the report. I am angry that I spent the last 2 years on shi* accounts while these gravy accounts exist. This morning in less than 45 minutes I had 285 lines, then no work.
You are stating exactly what I have said for - a longggggggggg time
[ In Reply To ..]
There are great platforms out there that enable a person to make really good lines, 300-400 or higher per hour. It can be done. Most who have the worst platforms do not think this lph is doable but it is.
LPH - Disappointed
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with the above poster. I've got a pretty good primary account that I have no trouble with making and exceeding the 250 LPH. But I swear Big Brother watches me and when I'm doing well, they e-mail me and switch me to another account that absolutely STINKS and I take a lot of time verifying crap and my lines go right down the toilet. I have asked for another account but have been told there is nothing.

LPH and speech wreck - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Over the years with different companies, I can get 275-300 straight typing on a decent shift. Today, I can still get more lines doing straight because the VR platform is so horrible. Huge blocks of text all under the wrong headings, the first sentence dicated is somewhere in there somewhere, but where? You sit there, hearing the voice, but can't put it together with the words on the monitor. You can't even find where to begin, for God's sake, so it doesn't really matter if your keystrokes are good because you're sitting there, staring, wasting time trying to figure out where the h*** to even start. So I just start blocking and deleting everything, and end up typing it straight. I try to proof as I go, rather than at the end. However, if I use even 1 sentence of VR, I re-read when done because I just can't trust the speech wreck. I would love to be able to keep my foot on the pedal and use my knowledge to pay my bills, but my VR doesn't learn, either, just the same insane mistakes over and over and over and over and over...and over.

Similar Messages:

Fox/general Transcriptionists (general Question)
Aug 17, 2012

If you do general transcription, can you recommend a good (free or low cost) transcription program for audio files?  I tried InqScribe and it works okay, but I don't like that they make you use their built-in word processing program that doesn't have any text expanders. I use Express Scribe.  Do they have a way to transcribe videos?  (I think it has something called Prism video, but I never figured out how to use it).  Thanks. ...

Quota Up, Pay Down.
May 09, 2014

I started working for the company and almost immediately (within a couple weeks) after I signed the contract, the weekly quota went up and the VR pay instantly dropped way down. How can this happen? ...

Can't Remember What The LPH Quota Is. Do You Know?
Oct 05, 2010

Does anyone remember what the required lines per hour is?  Thanks! ...

Keystrokes Quota
May 03, 2011

Thinking of applying to KS....does anyone know the daily number of  report requirements...if there any? Thanks---Ada ...

Does Precyse Have A Quota
May 31, 2012

Does Precyse have a quota, must you produce a certain number of lines per day?  I'm looking for part-time work.  If there is a certain expectation, what happens if you fall below it?  I'm thinking I would like to try Precyse but those are my main concerns.   ...

Are There Any Companies That Do Not Require A Quota?
Jan 20, 2010

I have 9 years' experience and can do about 150-180 lines an hour, but I hate having the feeling of I need to get to the particular quota and rushing myself along.  I want to do a quality report and would rather work for a company who represents that.  Anyone know of any companies out there like this?  TIA. ...

Line Quota And Benefits
Jun 09, 2010

It's an outrage to have your CPL cut in half with editing but for the company to expeCT scan the same quota (dollar wise per pay period) to maintain benefits is a kick in the teeth.   I'm not a newbie to this "career".    Now we have to have QUANTITY and QUALITY - no blanks.   If you can afford to stay in your desk 10-12 hours a day and watch your life slip by this may be for you.   How did we end up letting these companies rip us off l ...

Impeding Making The Quota.
Sep 21, 2012

Here I am teetering around the production quota and why?? Because I have to do so much work that is not paid for and is time consuming (entering the ADT info, cc information that is beyond what is in their database) and trying to deciper a lengthy and convoluted CP, plus trying to figure out which, if any, document standard has to be used and finding it in a long list of standards for Ctl S. I had requested that that document format associated standards be put at the top of the list which is e ...

Line Count Quota ?
Oct 11, 2013

Does our line count quota change if most of our reports are straight typing? For example, the other day, 50%, yes 50% was straight typing!! Does the line count quota change for this, or am I just supposed to type faster, or make it up on another day - hopefully. ...

Meridian's Quota Is Daily Or Weekly?
Aug 16, 2010

Does anyone know if Meridian's quota is daily or weekly?  If you have information please let me know.  Thanks! ...

What's The Line Quota Per Pay Period At Landmark?
Feb 22, 2013

d ...

Making Line Quota In 40 Hour Week? Sm
Apr 17, 2013

I can't seem to do it, crappy account with lots of ESL. Are other folks working off the clock or is it permissible to be on the system until you reach quota? ...

General
Nov 19, 2009

I am getting to the point where the "cutthroat"  on this forum is turning my stomach -- for one thing, we have "sheep mentality" with MTs today  -- WONDERFUL company "hence all will folllolw"  -- then when no work is available they all wonder why  - the NEXT big question will be is "why do I have to wolrk T-day or Xmas or geez didnt get a gift?  -- I have a gift of a job  - as an IC who works her rear off  -- work has been slow, but we got an email to that effe ...

General Word
Oct 14, 2009

He has been trying to find the most s/l ADVENTATIVE TIME to use his inhaler. ...

General Observations
Jan 18, 2010

I have been reading the messages in this forum regularly for the past few days and weeks.  I am shocked at the number of unhappy people in our profession.  If you hate your jobs so much, apply for a student loan and go back to school, it will create jobs for the ones who want to transcribe and can't find them now.  I've been at my current MT job for 16 years and have worked on-site and at home, I am paid very well for what I do.  If I bitched to my boss every t ...

General Question - Need Help Please (sm)
Mar 30, 2010

sorry if I'm posting this on wrong board but thought maybe fellow MQers could help me. Anyway, is there a big difference between DSL/Cable versus a high speed wireless card?  Would an employer even know which method of connecting you were using? TIA very much if you can shed some light on this for me. ...

General Rant
Jan 11, 2011

Have you ever noticed than when a dictator tries to adopt a "conversational" style of dictating, that it is very hard to try and figure out what's being said?  They start and stop several times so that you can't remember what the original line of dictation was, plus they add "you know" every other sentence.  I DON'T KNOW!!!!!  My account is a verbatim one and so I figure out as near as I can what he's saying and then send it through.  ...

General Transcription, IC
Feb 14, 2011

I was contacted today with a potential offer to transcribe general work as an IC.  I have yet to find out out if they pay by the hour or line, their definition of a line, etc.  This is a new concept for me as I've always been a hospital employee.  While surfing posts on this board I learned that I have the power to define my pay and hours, but I would appreciate it if someone could shed more light on transcribing in that aspect.  I would mainly l ...

General Complaint
Mar 30, 2011

Hi everyone:)  This is not a good night for me; I have been getting very bad dictators lately, my reports are so short, less than 2 minutes apiece, and I haven't gotten anything decent to speak of, and I am about to throw in the towel with this company.  It seems that since I have gone part time this has been happening a lot.  I am pushing just to get my required line count in, and with jobs like this it is hard to do.  My pay is going down, down, down, and I feel r ...

Anyone Ever Try General Transcription?
Jul 11, 2011

Was it an easy transition to make?  ...

General Audio At 6 Cpl?
Dec 19, 2011

Offered 6 cpl (65-char) for general audio (movies and television shows).  Is this good or bad?  I thought audio transcription was usually paid per audio hour.  I've only done MT for 20+ years, so this is new to me.   Thanks for any input/advice!   ...

Anyone Been Doing General Transcription For A While?
Jul 18, 2012

Anyone been doing general transcription for a while? How long should 30 minutes of audio (interviewer and Interviewee) with time stamps take? I am getting $22.50 for 30 minutes of audio, but it is taking me hours, upon hours to do and then I have to re-listing and edit it. Not sure if this job is worth it. Need some feedback. Thanks ...

General UE Question.
May 21, 2013

I'm considering a job through a government entity--a county health department.  Does anyone here know if one gets laid off from a government job if they can file for unemployment, or are gov't entities exempt from that?  I had an interview, and they offered up-front that their intention is that the job is permanent, but, of course, they couldn't guarantee against future cut-backs.  This made me start to wonder, with all the budget woes in the gov't arena....wou ...

General Question About Being An MT . . .
May 15, 2014

Does anybody notice after sitting and typing for so long that your legs and behind hurt?  I've done this job for over 10 years, and I've never noticed it.  I wonder if it's my chair. ...

General Transcription?
Jan 09, 2015

I gave up on MT as a career and am working in a different industry.  I've always loved transcribing and writing and I really miss it.  I googled "transcription jobs online" and was surprised at the number of sites that came up.  Some were non-medical, some were both.  I haven't explored them in depth yet.  Just wondering if anyone has gone this route and had any success?  Any good or bad names to share?  Feel free to PM me if they can't be mentio ...

Who Does General Transcription?
Feb 21, 2015

A few here have mentioned doing some general transcription gigs. Can you share any names of online companies?  I've read some favorable reviews on Tigerfish.  Anyone worked for them?  I looked into Elance once but wasn't impressed.  I believe they merged with Odesk?  ...

General Transcription
Jun 03, 2015

Just took a general transcription test.  Took me forever... Does anyone know what a good rate of reimbursement is per minute for those?  I know $1 a minute was what MTs  used to get.  ...

Rate For General Transcription?
Nov 18, 2009

Is it the same 10 cents per line as medical?  I am out of work right now with over 2 years of experience.  I have been checking out freelance websites, and the pay seems pretty low.  It is sometimes described as dollar amount per audio hour or as an hourly rate.  They list the hourly rate as about $5 an hour or less.  Is it because the work would be easy?  Should I bid for a job and offer 10 cents a line?   I need some work so badly I just don't know what ...

General Transcription Rate
Aug 24, 2010

What would a good rate of pay be to do general transcription?  This is not medical transcription, but general audio like a phone conversation or meeting.  ...

General Transcription Vs Medical
Sep 13, 2010

I am curious of the views of those of you who do or have done general transcription and medical transcription.  How do they compare?  Can you make more money with one or the other?  Where do you search for general transcription jobs online?  Thanks in advance ...