A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any work today? Hate sitting here. - tiredmt

Posted: Nov 26, 2009

Hate it when they say," You have to work your shift."  Then we sit and wait for 1 report, maybe 2 every hour.  Well, "I can give you another account to work on."   Account specifics only 35 to 40 pages.  OK will do that.  By the way, there is only 1 report on that account...  What a waste..... And, no, you cannot have off.  You were scheduled to work, so you have to work....

holiday - mj

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been sitting here all day and I have had only 4 reports. This is so stupid.

Yes I agree.. Plain stupid.. - tiredmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Sad thing. My other job has tons of work on it...

Working on holiday - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I have been sitting heer all day too and only have three reports and I am grateful that I have a job. I think that if I had a family member in the hospital I would be grateful that some MT took his or her job seriously and processed their records. It seems to me that so many MTs are whiners. Stop whining. Do you work. Have some integrity. Grow up.

Wait a minute, please clarify - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
Excuse me, it must be that you get paid by the hour, working in-house somewhere or something like that, huh?

Those of us who only get paid on production simply do not appreciate our jobs when there is no work available and we do not get paid for our time.

I'm sure we are all grateful for the jobs we do have. However, our beef is about NOT being paid while being required to sit and wait.

BTW, in most states, the law is that you do get paid minimum wage for your time, when you are required to be engaged in waiting for work, regardless of whether you are supposed to only be paid for production. However, if you are used to making more than minimum wage on other days, it ends up averaging out, over the course of a pay period, that you are not paid for the time when there is no work.

What I am most grateful for is my IC job where I am allowed to log out when there is no work.

However, my employee job can be a real pain, but I do not sit at my computer and watch the pool. I check for available jobs on my multiple accounts no more often than once hourly. I actually explained to my employer that this was the way it would be, or there would be contact made with the Labor Board in their state. Interestingly, I received no complaints and was not fired. Why? I suspect that it may have something to do with the fact that the law is on my side regarding this point.

Again, as at least one TV psychologist celebrity said, "we teach people how to treat us." They will take advantage of us to their full ability if we allow it.

Works for me, too - RubySoho
[ In Reply To ..]
On the rare occasions I've run out of work at my primary job, I simply email to let them know there is no more work and I'll check back at some point later in my shift. This is fine with them and they've never voiced any dissatisfaction with the way I handle this.
ALICE - YOU ROCK!! - tiredMT
[ In Reply To ..]
You hit it right on the nose. My OP was not about my job, my complaint was about having to sit and wait and stay "logged in during my shift." And yes, they can "always find you a new account to work on," with many pages of account specs and 2 reports available. What a wasted effort.
holiday - westmt
[ In Reply To ..]
So,do they have to pay at least minimum wage or not? I recently hired on with a national company. I'm in my first 90 days and have not met production requirements. My first paycheck came and was purely production. The other 2 companies I have worked for paid at least minimum wage while learning their system and new account. I have asked them how they get by the laws of the FLSA, but have not received an answer yet. What's the point of being an employee versus an IC?
FLSA - mj
[ In Reply To ..]
What is FLSA? I am still sitting at my computer waiting for my minimum wage;0)
FLSA LINK - ALICE
[ In Reply To ..]
Fair Labor Standards Act

Here's one link for it:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/flsa/index.htm
MINUMUM WAGE: Contact DOL - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
As an IC, you're pretty much on your own, the only benefit being is you have more flexibility in your work schedule. As employee, while you do give up that flexibility (keep a schedule/hours while not being paid for those hours)- the MTSOs wanted that control, so they made us employees. Do you think they like paying us benefits, paying SS, etc.,?? Really?? What they DON'T especially like is having to comply with Dept. of Labor regulations as they pertain to treatment of employees, and wage/hour issues being in the forefront.

Yes, they do have to pay minimum wage if you're classified as an employee. And this baloney about "sitting at you PC and in/out to check for work on a holiday while the rest of the world is enjoying their Thanksgiving turkey celebrating Xmas with their family, just doesn't cut it anymore".

What you need to do is check your state's own DOL laws re. minimum wage as it relates to piece/production work. For example, factory workers are often paid on production, but still have to abide by minimum wage laws, which are federally mandated. And never mind the crap about the "learning curve for VR". Put your money where your mouth is!
Minimum wage.... - sak
[ In Reply To ..]
Friday, there was no work until after 12:30 p.m. Technically, I work 8 to 4. My employer's comment is "if it takes until midnight to get at least base word count, then that's what you have to do". I worked Friday until 7:30 p.m. just to get base so I would be paid for Thanksgiving. So if I contact the DOL in my state to be paid MW, my employer will probably find a reason to fire me. We already have a low work load due to the loss of some accounts and too many employees.
Checking all day for work - PT
[ In Reply To ..]
Of course it's not fair. I agree completely. I have been scolded for not working enough when work runs out. It's not fair to be expected to check every hour all day long in order to type that one report that comes trickling through. If there isn't work during an 8-hour shift, an MT shouldn't be expected to cover after the scheduled time.

cpl - mj

[ In Reply To ..]
OH I am so HAPPY about my job that pays minimum wage!
More on this issue - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
Certainly, there are several issues involved here.

First of all, none of us WANT minimum wage. That's a given.

I could be mistaken. However, I have read the law and spoken with a person at the Labor Board in one state. According to what he told me, it is against federal labor law for any company to require you to be engaged waiting for work, with no work available, with no pay. They are required by law, to pay you a minimum of minimum wage for your time, regardless of your production.

This law applies only to employees. It does not apply to ICs. They have no right at all to require you to be engaged and waiting for work, watching an empty queue, if you are an IC, unless you have a contract with them that requires this.

The minimum wage is different in different states. But, for the sake of this example, let's say that the minimum wage in your state is $7/hour. For the example, let's say that you do editing at the rate of 4 cpl and straight transcription at the rate of 8 cpl. Okay, if you are on a set schedule and required to be right there waiting for jobs, let's say that only eight edited jobs and four straight transcription jobs are available to you during 8 hours of work on a given day. For the sake of the example, each job is 50 lines. The total payment on production is $16.00 for those edited jobs and $16.00 for those four straight transcription jobs for a total of $32.00 during that day. However, the company is required to pay you $56.00. If this is the only day that you worked during the entire pay period, they have to pay you $56.00.

However, this is averaged for the entire pay period, so if work is abundant for the rest of the pay period, you may end up working for free during that one day.

The more days this scenario occurs in a pay period, the more likely that the company will end up owing you minimum wage.

If the minimum wage is $7.00 per hour, payroll must equal a minimum of $7.00 per hour for each hour that you worked; in other words, you must receive a minimum of $280.00 for 40 hours of work, $560.00 for 80 hours, etc.
wage - westmt
[ In Reply To ..]
Exactly! Just because there is no work, you are still WORKING. I'm not sure how these companies have gotten people to believe that we should be employees and only be paid on production yet sit and wait for work while not being paid. This is insane! That would be like saying, the children are in the backyard so you don't get paid for watching them during those moments!

For my first 2 weeks of work, as I stated, I was paid on production only, but I was still WORKING. This is unacceptable. My pay came to under $4 per hour. I have contacted people at my company and two did not have an answer. There must be a loop-hole,though, they couldn't be this silly.
Transcend/MDI pay decrease - PT
[ In Reply To ..]
I received my Transcend packet today. Is this a case of "new hire" for long-term MDI employees, taking the chance to cut pay? I've heard of large companies doing this- letting long-term employees go, then giving them the option of being rehired for a lower amount of pay. My pay was decreased 1 cent per line. I'm not happy about it, but, like others, I'm just glad I have a job right now.

Similar Messages:

Sitting Here Waiting On Work! I Have Only Worked For 1 Hour Today!
Jan 29, 2014

Constant Sitting
Jan 29, 2015

With MM's restrictions on pretty much everything, how often does everybody get up to take a break?  Previously I could get up and stretch, walk away for a few minutes before downloading the next job, but now I get reprimanded for inactive time.  How long do you work before standing up?  Do you stand and work at the same time sometimes.  I have severe RLS and to top that off my chair is like sitting on a brick.  Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks! ...

I'm Getting Bed Sores From Sitting At My Computer...
Feb 12, 2010

waiting for any work to trickle in. I wish I knew where it was going. Gotta find a new line of work after 20 years of MT. So sad... ...

For Anyone Sitting With Jobs That Won't Upload
Sep 26, 2010

I logged in at 10 a.m. EST and worked my entire shift.  I got NJA a few times, so didn't do as many jobs as normal (straight typing only). Anyway, the work kept coming, so I kept typing.  The DEP screen said they were working on moving the "stuck" jobs out, so I figured I would just plug along. I wrote down every job number I typed along the way. At the end of my shift, I had 17 jobs that were hanging in limbo.  I had submitted a ticket to QCare but had received no respons ...

Sitting Here NJA. CCM Says Becaue Of Spring
Apr 07, 2011

I thought most Spring Breaks were middle of March?  Are there Spring Breaks in April? ...

No Work, Not Sitting Here All Day Waiting For It Either!
Jul 04, 2012

So only 3 jobs this a.m. and obviously my accounts have no work. I have been checking all morning. Have a cookout with friends this afternoon I could be attending. E-mailed boss, but of course she must be off enjoying the holiday. I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and enjoy my afternoon away from the computer waiting for NO JOBS? What do the rest of you do when you have no work? ...

Wonderful If Anyone Else Is Sitting Here W/o Work? I'm Sm
Aug 15, 2012

so frustrated I could just scream.  I have a dentist appt on my day off (Monday) but got a call last night that they could fit me in this morning and stupid me said no because of work and now I sit here with NOTHING and a dentist appointment on my day off.  I hope I hear from one of the several jobs I have applied to soon because this just is not working for me any more!!!!! ...

Anyone Else Worry About Sitting Too Long On This
Nov 17, 2012

articles about how bad it is for your health.  Some days I actually think I feel clots forming in my legs (probably all in my head though).  I'm looking for ways to be a healthier MT without lowering productivity.  ...

Great. Sitting Here With NJA Already, Yet They Required Most Of Us
Dec 24, 2012

in my group to work Christmas.  Why do they ruin our Christmases when they know there's no work?!  Bunch of grinches.... ...

I Have Been Sitting Here For 4 Hours Waiting For
Jan 11, 2013

to connect.  I can't believe we have to sit here and check back every 15 minutes to see if DQS is back up.  What are the rest of the night crew doing?  Are you checking every 15 minutes?  It is freezing here too and I would rather be in my pj's under the covers with my cat. Sorry to vent but I am starting to feel like a ping pong ball going back and forth into DQS. ...

The Elephant In The Room Is Sitting On Me Now.
May 12, 2014

It's a sad realization that while I was a fairly decent medical transcriptionist, I am not good at editing. I made 3 critical errors in one day. I don't really have an excuse. I caught a bazillion errors as I had some pretty bad dictations yesterday but missed a lab error 50.3 instead of 50.8, a diagnosis VR typed hemangioma and it was supposed to be meningioma. There was one other stupid one. I'm not too proud to admit, I am just not cut out for this. I'm not sure if ...

Are You Sitting Next To That Blasted Beeping
Oct 12, 2014

Long dictation, and my earing are killing me already...thanks you idiot. Is there anyway to save voice files? I mean at some point I will be deaf from this job, workers comp sounds about right ...

I HATE MY JOB, I HATE THIS LIFE
Jul 09, 2011

I HATE that I am tied to my office just waiting for work to come in on two different companies.  I HATE that I just quit a third company because of LACK OF COMMUNICATION (gave my notice to Keystrokes, no response from ANYONE).  What is wrong with these people?  They demand certain things of us but we have no rights?  I HATE HATE HATE it and as soon as I possibly can find another job, I will LEAVE MT WORLD FOREVER.  I HATE THAT I HAVE NO LIFE WITH THIS PROFESSION.  H ...

End Of My Rope. Hate My Job, Hate What Has Become
Feb 18, 2014

of the medical field in general. What happened to all the American doctors? Has it become so blasted easy for foreigners to come over and get a job as a doctor or are Americans so damn-ass lazy that they don't want to get the education? Or is to so blasted expensive that no one can afford to become a doctor unless you are a foreign student? So freaking sick and tired of all these foreign dictators who speak so fast and sloppy. What the heck is going to become of our health care when we can& ...

I Get So Tired Of Sitting Here Waiting For Work And
Feb 06, 2012

am concerned if I quit this job I will get another with the exact same situation.  I have no clue what to do with myself sitting waiting and it makes me nervous. ...

Nothing Like Sitting Here Waiting On Work While They Keep Overloading The
Jul 09, 2013

accounts.  Gets extremely tiring.  How do you deal with this.  I complain but it does no good.  Not much sense going elsewhere I guess because it is all the same.  ...

I'm Tempted To Ask To Be Laid Off! I Am Steaming Right Now Sitting Here With No Work AGAIN! Sm
Jan 29, 2014

A week and a half of this and not getting better.  Emails about new quality standards and as I will be transitioning into fluency I will be making below minimum wage which is not going to cut it for my bills.  How is this legal???  No work during shift, complicated procedures which take up MY unpaid time to try and figure out, unrealistic standards when there is work, having to meet an hourly production minimum but get a massive paycut if you need help.  UGH! I'm picturi ...

On The Lateral View, The Patella Is Sitting In A S/l Alta Position.
Jan 23, 2010

x ...

After Sitting Here For Several Hours With No Work, Gotta Love The Ad For SoftScript. Sm
Jan 03, 2011

It states, "Most important plenty of work. We do all we can to assure you will stay busy your entire shift. NO waiting or praying for work to come." I guess today and the last 2 months have been my imagination.  ...

TransTech Oncology - Sitting And Waiting For Work To Come In For Weeks
Jan 05, 2013

I am an oncology MT with TransTech and have been sitting and waiting for work to come in for weeks.   In the last 2 weeks, I have had about 16 hours worth of work.  I'm worrying about how I am going to pay my bills.  Then I come to this site and see that TransTech is once again advertising for Oncology MTs.  This makes me SO ANGRY!!!  Why would a company do this?  Why advertise jobs when their current employees have no work at all??   ...

After The Fluency Upgrade Do You Ever Find Yourself Just Sitting There Waiting For The Report To Upl
Feb 09, 2015

I Get So Tired Of Waiting On Work. It Actually Makes Me Nervous Sitting By This Computer
Jun 05, 2014

waiting on reports.  Not sure how to handle this.  I am looking for other work but no luck so far.  Do others find this mentally stressful babysitting your computer. ...

Are Timesheets Approved Today? Nothing From TSM On Monday Or Today. NM
Jan 01, 2014

xx ...

Email Working Today? Silent Today.
Feb 25, 2015

By this time in the day, usually, there has been at least 7 emails - several from QA, at least 2-3 backlog updates, and 1 reminder to work our shift and work our entire shift. ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

I Sure Would Hate To Be A CTL Right Now
Mar 04, 2010

I sure would hate to be a CTL right now and be trying to sell this bag of doody.  They must absolutely need a job worse than ME!  ...

I Hate This Job I Hate This Job
Jul 02, 2010

MY VENT TODAY:  I hate QA, I hate my job.  My pay is HALF of what it was 15 years ago and I get picked and PICKED AND HOUNDED to death on meaningless garbage in a report.  Take away my benefits, make me a literal slave to a keyboard, pay me utter crap, treat me like less than a human, and DEMAND PERFECTION. What a stupid field I am in.   PS - If I wasn't too old, if the economy wasnt tanked, and if if if I would be out of this so-called profession. i would have left a ...

Why I Hate QA
Mar 29, 2010

I type a lot of crap, but just had the worst doc I think I ever had.  Had 11 QA markers so I sent it to QA thinking they might actually LIKE getting some work since they are about to be history.  Anyways, this bi*ch marked 2 CRITICAL ERRORS and did an audit on it (which was still 96.5% in spite of everything I am glad to say).  QA you wonder why we have such a bad attitude?  That was totally unnecessary.  ...

You May Hate VR, But
Jun 24, 2010

http://www.nuance.com/news/pressreleases/2010/20100622_mDollarAward.asp ...

Hate This Job
Jul 15, 2010

I spend a lot of time typing for a huge university hospital clinic with no ADT.  Have to type in all patient information.  Almost every report is a LETTER.  Referring physician has to be typed into the ADT.  Then the letter recipient information has to be typed in and lo and behold have to re-type it into the cc list for the doc to get a copy of the letter.  I wonder why I can't run a decent line count?  I spend 50% of my time typing in information that I am no ...