A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Decrease in pay!!!! - So Tired

Posted: Feb 28, 2010

Has anyone received a raise lately from MedQuist? I've been working for Medquist for 9 years. I was roped into becoming a medical editor 4 years ago with the promise of making more money because I wouldn't be typing. They told me that I would be 80% of my base MT pay....then 1 year later they decreased it to 70% of base pay and then now 60% of my base pay. When I complained about this to my supervisor, she said that she was told that Medquist was going to somehow update the software with new changes so we would have higher productivity, but I haven't seen any....anyone else??  I found an old paystub from 2006 and I'm making 1/2 now what I was making then....I almost got sick!! The only reason I have kept this job is because I have a disabled son and need the flexibility of my hours otherwise, I'd be gone....how do they keep employees or do they?

A lot of us have taken a decrease in pay - whether we work for Medquist or not

[ In Reply To ..]
What is most interesting is that you are using your son as an excuse to stay with Medquist. There are other companies out there.

I feel bad for your son, but if you are able to stay home and care for him, then consider yourself blessed and focus on him. No matter where you go, the pay is awful and it is a combination of physicians going with large MTSOs, so the work gets done and they need not pay out vacation time, sick time, etc. They also are provided with 24-hour turnaround most of the time, which as a sole independent contractor is hard to beat when you are also doing administrative tasks, let alone hiring subcontractors at a cut rate that you then have to review the reports before being sent.

You have to see this from all sides, not just the money. Convenience is a big factor in this industry right now, and these MTSOs know it.

Look at how many views a job ad gets the very same day it is placed. People are looking for jobs on a daily basis. Consider yourself lucky you have one already. LOL - just trying to make you look at the glass half full instead of half empty. have a great day!

A lot of us... - SecondWind

[ In Reply To ..]
In the words of Judge Judy, "Don't pee on my leg and tell it's raining." This is still America and this horrendous pay situation needs to 'turnaround'. I say Medquist is a good place to start. In all due respect and without any malice, you sound like a Medquist plant sputtering platitudes and cliches to fool the slaves into believing,"It really ain't that bad," when, in fact, this is a dire crisis.

I am raising my hands here. - Amen.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for saying that. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Decrese In Pay!!!! - SecondWind

[ In Reply To ..]
I was at Medquist from 1998 until 2008. They continued to take away my wages until I was at minimum wage with a letter that informed me that for legal reasons, they could pay me no less than minimum wage. I was reduced to one dictator whom I will not name (You might recognize him/her if MedQuist has not lost his/her hospital's account.), but he/she dictated simultaneously in 2 languages. He/she stuttered and I believe his/her self consciousness about that is why his/her voice's volume would increase and the octave would spiral up to a ear piercing pitch. I could do about 10 of his/her reports a day. I went to another company where I was initially satisfied, but I think MQ wiggled their way in and sabatoged that company somehow, because their pay started to slide as well and their MTs are no longer happy. Also, it is one of the companies that MedQuist endeavors to overtake and own. I hope you find something better or the Department of Labor, finally, stops MedQuist's cruel and runious financial practices.

some dictators just suck and should type their own reports - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

loss in pay - BrownShell

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes I lost pay at Medquist!! After I was there 12 years and had advanced to Quality Coach they took my position and pay away for no reason and put me back on production and my last paycheck was 1/4 of what I had been making. I feel like they used up my best working years - now after I have carpal tunnel and can't get good production they have thrown me away! This company is run by unethical people.

MT's Take a Stand - FedupMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am on this forum just about everyday reading about the atrocities we hard-working people suffer at the hands of the MTSO's. Do you really think they care whether we have shelter, food, clothing, and don't get me started on health care. Bottom line, their concern is THEIR BOTTOM LINE. Nothing is going to change until we take a stand. Had they reduced my pay, I would have hit the door running. And, yes, I am a single parent with no other support but my own. However, I refuse to be taken by them. We can't stop the treatment until they know how we feel about our value in this whole "health care reform" shenanigan.

Similar Messages:

Rate Decrease
Nov 24, 2009

During this transition time I was trying to decide between IC status and employee status.  I was doing this because I thought that being an IC would save my 1/2 cpl decrease that you get with employee status.  However, in my packet, my rate is now 9 cpl, down the 1/2 cpl as mentioned, but the choices were still FT, PT or IC.  That makes me wonder if we all got cut down to 9 cpl and even if I would have decided to go with IC status, my rate would still have been cut.  Did any ...

Decrease In MT Salaries.
Sep 24, 2012

Husband just called, was listening to Dave Ramsey - A man called the show and stated his wife's income had decreased by $900/month.  Ramsey was astounded and asked why?  Man explained that his wife was a medical transcriptionist.  It's now been on national radio, not a secret anymore. ...

Any Folks From MDI Get Notified Of Pay Decrease?
Oct 16, 2009

Has anyone been notified that they are not producing enough so their cpl is being cut?  Have you been reduced/demoted to prn?  Is the reason you have not produced enough because there is seldom work available?  I see trouble ahead.  ...

This Newest Decrease In Pay Reinforces My Decision
Mar 02, 2010

to quit.  I gave my notice last week.  CCM called and talked me into staying.  I said I would try it out a couple of more weeks.  The next day I got 2 ASR reports, one a 9 minute report with over 200 corrections and a 4 minute report with 56 corrections.  I was so ticked off that I just logged off on Friday and haven't logged back in since.  I haven't checked my e-mail, so I don't know if I have been fired yet.  This newest screwing makes me ...

How Do You Decrease Playback In EMDAT/Inscribe
Nov 01, 2014

I have racked my brain trying to figure this out and it's driving me nuts.  When I let up off the foot pedal the dictation goes back too far.  Anybody out there know?  Please help. ...

Recommend Continuted Use Of Zan Acid To Decrease Heartburn.
Jan 10, 2011

? ...

Antibiotic To Decrease The *colony Counter* Ulcers In Her Foot ...sm
Apr 26, 2011

I would add an antibiotic to decrease the *colony counter* ulcers in her foot and try to speed up the healing with doxycycline. ...

Been Noticing Major Decrease In Work Volumes In West
Sep 08, 2011

just wondering if anybody else in west has been noting marked decrease in work volumes.  My major acct used to have, at least on weekends, 200, 300, and even in the 400 numbers of jobs and lately the weekend work has maybe been 50 at a maximum.   I guess just another acct gone to India.    ...