A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

4.5 cpl for a gross line? - ml

Posted: Aug 19, 2012

Considering taking a new job but wondering if I'd be getting screwed.  Owner is offering 4.5 cpl for a gross line, and they use the line count function in Word to count their lines.  On the sample test document they have their margins stretched about as far as they can go.  I make 8 cpl right now on a 65 character line, typing in Word, and by the formula I'm paid by now it looks like 4.5 cpl would be almost half of what I'm making now for the same document.  Owner is saying that since this is an employee position and not IC it all comes out about even after she pays my taxes.  I'm thinking not.

Thoughts?

Is this staright typing? Please dont fall for it. - She should be ashame of herself

[ In Reply To ..]
for even trying to tell you that it will even out to 8cpl if she is paying your taxes as an employee.

Yep, straight typing - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the warning. I was having a hard time figuring out how this could work out.

Well - Word

[ In Reply To ..]
uses a 65-character line to count, so you would be making 4.5 cpl. You are making 8 now. What do you think?

I didn't know that was how - -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Word counts lines. I've never had my lines counted using Word's line counter before.

I think I should run!

Gross lines are different from 65-character lines - CB

[ In Reply To ..]
Unless it's another instance of an MTSO changing things, a "gross" line has always been different from a "character" line. A gross line is one line of type, no matter how many characters. For example if you type a few words, return and type a few more, Word counts that as two gross lines, no matter how many characters. A standard address would be three lines. In the good old days when I started in the 80s, this is how we were paid on a DOS system, and made good money (every return was counted as a line). Paid double though when I started out - 9+ cents - per gross line.

The same as getting paid by the page. More money for the company - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It is all just different ways of cheating you and getting more for themselves, any way they can. Those people who come into the grocery store and try to short change you....same thing. Only one service used the Word counting and then divided by 9...?...she payed 5 cents and said the same thing about taxes. Bottom line...we are working for pennies and below minimum wage and the companies get away with it.

4.5 cpl - me

[ In Reply To ..]
1. 4.5 cpl is a slap in the face.
2. SHE DOES NOT PAY YOUR TAXES. *YOU* pay your taxes. She pays 7.5% as her share of your SS/Medicare. So please don't let someone act like they are doing you a big favor by "paying" your taxes.
3. If that 4.5 cpl is for an undefined line, that's even more insulting.

Keep looking. There are jobs that are better out there.

It really is - a shame

[ In Reply To ..]
what these companies are paying. What needs to happen is that people, even new people, need to stop taking these jobs. Unfortunately there is always somebody fresh out of school or that desperate to earn some money and accepts it. Until people stop taking these jobs and start refusing the VR wages, they are going to keep doing it. I realize this is a typing job that you are talking about, but the VR scam is what really took things down. I for one refuse to do it.

Just curious (sm) - Morgan

[ In Reply To ..]
Did this con artist even tell you that the margins were made wider?

Similar Messages:

Gross Line Versus 65 Character Line
Aug 19, 2010

Anyone know if 5 cents per gross line is good or not? Better than 10 cents a 65 character line??   A company is offering this to me & says that at least 1/2 of every report is templated but you still get paid for it.  I make 10 cents a 65 character line with the company I work for at this time.  Please advise so I can make a decision to test or not with them.  ...

MT Line Became A 65-character Line Instead Of A Gross Line?
Feb 21, 2015

Does anyone remember when, and why, an MT line became a 65-character line instead of a gross line? And what company was responsible for this, if any? ...

Paying By Gross Line
Oct 16, 2013

Does anyone know companies that pay by gross line? ...

Can You Recommend An Accurate Line Counting Program For Gross Lines?
Mar 10, 2010

I have been using MPCount for several years but recently upgraded to a new laptop & it will not work on it - incompatible. I tried out their new trial version of MPTools but it does not count my gross lines the same & I would be losing more $ than I would like with it. There is something programmed into the newer version that counts differently somehow. (That was even confirmed with the person who produced this program.) Are there any other line counting software programs out t ...

What Does "LIAL" Stand For In Relation To Gross Line Rate?
Apr 08, 2011

There is an ad on the job board paying by the gross line with the initials LIAL in parentheses after the words "gross line."  What does this mean? ...

VR Gross Out
Jun 19, 2010

Ironically, the VR put in exactly what it sounded like. VR:  "...then had a significant episode of diarrhea, several cups in the mouth." I changed it to 'in amount' Dontcha love accents!! ...

How Can Gross Lph Be More Than Net Lph?
Feb 17, 2011

Got my ASR production report. My net lph is 100 lines greater than my gross lph. The definition of gross is the the total before any deductions. The definition of net is gross minus deductions. Good grief. This is my report from last week. Last week I really put my nose to the grind stone and gave it full effort in the hopes that it would be reflected in my count. Nada, nothing. My count was exactly the same as when I don't have my nose to the grind stone. They want your hand o ...

Gross Pay?
Nov 09, 2011

How are supposed to determine our gross pay from our pay stubs?  I'm in the process of filling out an application that asks for my gross pay, and I franky don't know.  I can't even tell if I'm getting minimum wage for my state. ...

Gross
Mar 20, 2014

I just had a speaker burp and didn't say "Excuse me." The things we put up with as an MT. ...

What Is Our Gross Pay?
Dec 17, 2014

On the new pay grid, it's broken down and then it says total compensable lines and then a dollar amount. Is that dollar amount the pay for the week? If so mine is like $200 lower than usual. I hope I'm reading this wrong. ...

Gross Encolongitis?
Sep 08, 2010

P-ANCAs are seen in autoimmune GI diseases such as autoimmune hepatitis, s/l "gross encolongitis" and inflammatory bowel disease.  I cannot find anything close online, so I'm assuming I'm way off...any ideas? ...

Gross, Disgusting And Abusive
Jun 16, 2011

Just typed a report that I can honestly say is probably the most disgusting dictation I have ever done in 30 years.  Dictator (ha ha - joke!) was chomping very loudly on chips, rustling bag and sucking and sloberring.  If I were talking to a person doing that I would walk away so fast she would choke on her own slobber.   Listening to it is abuse in my opinion. ...

C5-T1 Gross ___ Sensation Is Intact
Dec 07, 2012

C5-T1 gross ___ sensation is intact ...

Gross Versus Custom Lines
Jan 29, 2013

There Were 8 Through-and-through Injuries Of Th Small Bowel With Gross Spillage
May 10, 2010

of s/l "suck-a-sue-tericus" throughout the perintoneum.  ...

3rd Week With NJA, But Ineligible For Food Stamps Due To Gross Pay. Depressed.
Jan 05, 2014

while the managers and higher ups collect their checks with no problems.  Got to find another job SOON.  ...

On Bilateral Lower Extremity Exam, She Has 5/5 Gross Motor Strength For Hip Flexors, Abductors, Exte
Sep 05, 2013

I know "tiban" isn't correct.  What is it?  Thanks. ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...

Okay, If You Were Making .04/line With VR But Offered 08/line With Transcription . . . Unlimited Amt
Apr 22, 2010

I do have some benefits with the VR job, but not good enough to even take them on right now.  After 3 months I will start accruing PTO up to 12 days a year.  Is it worth it?  I was thinking having benefits would be really nice for once in the last 16 years, but now I am thinking it may not be worth the struggle to make a living on VR.  They said the platform for transcription is chartnet or chartscript?  What do you all think? ...

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

VR Line Count - What Kind Of Line Production Should I Shoot For
Mar 24, 2011

I was just hired on with a company to do strictly VR. I am only going to be working part time so about 4 hours a day. I am wondering from those who do VR what kind of line production should I shoot for in 4 hours of work? What is the normal VR line count for part time? I have read that most who are working full time or 8 hours a day are doing more than 1,000, even 2,000 a day. The company I will be working for wants a minimum of 10,000 lines in a payperiod which the lady said even with part time ...

Line Counting Software - 65 Characters Per Line
Sep 29, 2010

I need help with a software line counting program.  Excel is acceptable, but I am not sure how to use that aspect.  Any help would be appreciated.  This is for 65 characters per line with no spaces.  Can't that be done in Microsoft Word as well? ...

Line Rate For 65 Printable Character Line
Jul 19, 2011

When a company states a line rate for  a "65 printable character line" does that mean they do not pay for spaces?    I saw an ad saying they pay the highest in the business, which was about 8.5 cents for 65 printable character line.  That to me says without spaces, as it is not a printable character, so that would be a horrible rate surely not one of the best in the business.  Wonder why there is no respect for our thumbs !!!!   ...

IT And Line Counts Vs Other Line Count Programs
Oct 24, 2011

I would like opinions about the IT (Instant Text) line count program? Do you find it user friendly? Are there other programs preferred/easier? Any suggestions or opinions? TIA. ...

MTSOs - Why Anyone Would Do VR For 0.03 Per Line Or Straight Transcription For 0.07 Per Line
Mar 13, 2012

It's beyond me why anyone would do VR for 0.03 per line or straight transcription for 0.07 per line, even 0.08 stinks.  Are we all that desperate to let these companies get away with not paying a living wage?  It's outrageous.  As long as MTs send their resumes to these companies and apply for these positions, the longer it will take to bring us back to the pay level we deserve.   At this point, i'd rather starve then sell my soul to the devil. ...

Line Counts - An Accurate Line Counter?
Aug 14, 2012

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an accurate line counter. I currently use Word, but am not sure if it's accurate.  ...

Nuance Line Counts - Required Line Counts?
Jan 01, 2013

Can you tell me what the required line counts are for Nuance please ? ...

10 Cents A Line For Transcription And 5-6 Cents A Line For VRE?
Mar 19, 2015

Are there any companies out there that pay at least 10 cents a line for transcription and 5-6 cents a line for VRE? This career is not what it used to be!  ...

Where Is The Line?
Nov 11, 2009

Well, just failed another test and on the very first part to beat all! It was multiple choice grammar, punctuation, and terminology. I cannot be this dumb or are the standards sooooo high? I researched everything twice before I sent it in and felt really good about it. After receiving notice that I failed, with no grade or what I did wrong, I researched somemore. I found 2 that I answered wrong. There may be more but I can't see how. So out of the whole test I miss two, and they were spell ...

How Can They Cut 0.03 A Line When A Lot Of Us
Mar 02, 2010

are already at or close to minimum wage anyway?  Really, they have to pay at least minimum wage, so ha, ha, ha.  They can take their 0.03 a line and put it where the sun don't shine!    That felt good! ...