Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

My honest thoughts - are

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2016 - 5:39 pm In Reply to: Don't - nm

I would say if the cost of the course is not a hardship for you and if you only want to work part time as supplemental income, it may not be a bad decision. If you will be retiring in a few years, it might work for you. I don't see this field lasting with any significant amount of work for more than 10 years.

With that being said, this is the reality of MT work now:

The electronic medical record is being used more and more as is outsourcing to India and other countries and little by little the need for at-home MTs is disappearing.

I'm blessed to only work part time to supplement our family's income, but I would not be able to support myself on what MT work pays. Most of the time I make minimum wage. There are times throughout the year when there is low to no work, has always been that way.

There is overstaffing of accounts and when work is low, it's tough to make any money at all.

There is strict, punitive QA and you need to have a thick skin to not let the MAJOR ERROR ALERTs that come in e-mail get to you and knock your confidence. I've been at this for 28 years and get these alerts periodically. Being a newby, it could really shake your confidence.

This woman at the school is misinformed if she thinks the MT field is growing in any way. Just the opposite is true. I imagine that it comes down to generating income for her company. Sad that she is misleading people to make a buck.

By the way, I work for Nuance because of two company buyouts. I am making less than half of what I used to make and making less than what I made in the late 1980s. That's the state of the MT industry.

Much luck in whatever you decide.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)