Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Considering the MT field work at home - Mimi2Lots

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2016 - 12:57 pm

I need some help and I would like it ASAP. I am serious about taking a MT course but I am unsure as to where to go. I am looking at www.medtranscription.com. The course is called Medical Transcription A to Z and is based out of Phoenix and run by a woman named Deborah Burns. The company has been in business for nearly 30 years and the course she provides gives you the training you need as upon completion she hires you to work for her. The course can be completed in 6 months at 1 hrs per day and you have up to 3 yrs to complete if you choose to. Fast or slow so you can complete it in less time as well of course. The cost is normally $2145 + $40 shipping as it contains workbooks and CD's with dictation which she guarantees replacement of free of charge. It does not contain a foot pedal or AHDI certification which she states is not necessary to obtain employment. The company is reputable with many references and legit. She offers support throughout the training and beyond. I attended a webinar recently and because I did she is offering a discounted price of $1200 + $40 shipping until Saturday. CareerStep, on the other hand, has a course which is a lot more money but they do give you the AHDI certification as well as the foot pedal included. They said that AHDI helps you obtain better employment and make more money in the long run. They also offer support as well. CareerStep stated that I could obtain the AHDI certifcation down the road if I wished to for an additional $300 charge. I am just not sure what to do here...I know college courses are a lot more...and over 150 colleges use Careerstep for their curriculum. 

I am really interested in working from home as at MT. My husband is an OTR truck driver and is gone much of the time but has some health issues and I would love for him to be able to work less. I like the idea of working at my own pace and making my own hours. I am only interested in part time work at least for to start. I have excellent grammar, spelling and decent typing skills and I do have some prior knowledge of medical terminology as I did work as a NA for awhile. I enjoy the medical field and working as an MT really appeals to me..and I really want to work from home. Our children are grown and we do have grandchildren who are involved in activities and I would like to work around theses things as well as be able to pack up and take  a visit to those who live out of state and work there if need be. Is this something that sounds feasible? Deborah says that it is. I just want to speak to some of you who are actually in this field right now. She says that 60% use a foot pedal. What are your thoughts on the foot pedal vs the software you can install?

Is there always work available? Is it a growing demand like I have heard? I really want to get started but I would like to hear from some of you about this job and also about these 2 courses if anyone knows anything at all. Thanks so much!

Lisa

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)