Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

FYI - Furious as well

Posted: Jun 25th, 2016 - 10:03 am In Reply to: Then - Find

I have been "transcriptionist material" for over 40 years, probably while you were still in diapers! I have worked for medical centers and private physicians, and then from home starting in 1998. However, when I became an MT, doctors in this country, including the rare ESLs were professional, considerate, and appreciative of what MTs provided for them. They expressed that by the professional way they treated us. The ESL physicians were so grateful to be in this country practicing medicine that they ALL made it a point to dictate very clearly, knowing full well how their accent could be difficult to understand. I did ESL transcription without a problem until about 5 years ago. It has often been said "for every action there is a reaction", so it is no wonder that cherry picking occurs now more often than you realize. If just one MTSO would have the integrity and consideration for their MTs and stand up to the "clients" expressing to them that certain criteria should at least try to be followed regarding dictation (i.e. not in the restroom, no eating, no using a cell phone from 25 feet across the room, not while riding on a train, and try to speak just "a bit" more clearly) then cherry picking just might disappear. Why should we always bear the burden of inconsiderate slobs? This will only get worse as residents, physician assistants, and the like who are "just kids" are not instructed from the start on proper dictating skills. In 1995 I worked for a teaching hospital. The 3rd year residents were "graded" on their dictation and if it was rude or deliberately sloppy, guess what? They didn't pass and did not get their MD degree. The head of this program was a family physician, who had the sense and professionalism to know what MTs do for the medical field. Too bad that this has gone into the dumpster along with pride and consideration that plagues us today. Oh yeah, I almost forgot--I did work at McDonald's to pay for my medical transcriptionist training in 1971. If any customer was extremely rude to any one of us, the manager took over. However, once again, a different time and place, and people rarely displayed anything unacceptable in those days. So you can criticize me and others on this board for doing what you deem to be so horrible, but until we are treated like human beings and not machines (even VR can't understand these idiots), nothing will ever change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)